• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo blocked Phawx's video on Switch emulation for the Deck

1646208604985.png

So it begins

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If you thought Nintendo wouldnt intervene on being this public about Switch emulation and using it as selling point to sell another similar device - i dont know what to tell you.
Imagine (not possible or likely) but there be a way to play PS5 games on Series X and promoting this with Sony first party games.

I think its gonna be still fine as long as you dont use Nintendo games for these kind of videos.

yeah Im not seeing how nintendo can take down these videos legally speaking
I think them mostly using Nintendo games is what makes this possible ?

It seems like they are gonna intervene in mayor of Valve and others to promote/sell this is a device to play Switch backups.

It makes sense, even though its happening faster than expected - guess they are sending the message early. They were okay with these other chinese PC manufacturers and Switch emulation on those devices, but the SteamDeck seems to be hitting a bit too close to home for them.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Not surprising. Still who cares if they block these videos. People should make videos freely anyways for these things.
If you thought Nintendo wouldnt intervene on being this public about Switch emulation and using it as selling point to sell another similar device - i dont know what to tell you.

Imagine (not possible or likely) but there be a way to play PS5 games on Series X and promoting this with Sony first party games.

I think its gonna be still fine as long as you dont use Nintendo games for these kind of videos.

I think them mostly using Nintendo games is what makes this possible ?

It seems like they are gonna intervene in mayor of Valve and others to promote/sell this is a device to play Switch backups.

It makes sense, even though its happening faster than expected - guess they are sending the message early. They were okay with these other chinese PC manufacturers and Switch emulation on those devices, but the SteamDeck seems to be hitting a bit too close to home for them.
I mean its understandable why Nintendo would block these but its also 'fine' if people make these kinds of videos...Emulation in itself is ok even if its shown running on another device in a video unless you're Nintendo ofcourse and you possibly lose profits due to this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, but did he or did he not chant "fair use, fair use, fair use" at the start and end of the video?

Jokes aside, that blows for Phawx. Hope he can contest it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I can understand to some extent why Nintendo is doing this but feeling threatened by a product that is not nearly as ubiquitous as their own offering by taking down their videos is some bullshit

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Not surprising. Still who cares if they block these videos. People should make videos freely anyways for these things.
You say that - but they are plenty of Switch emulation videos out and Nintendo didnt have an issue with those for the GPD Win, Aya Neo etc.
They have an issue with the SteamDeck because its much closer to the Switch in price and Valve being the plattform holder.

They usually dont care about this stuff unless it gets too big/public.
Nintendo feeling threatened by a product that is not nearly as ubiquitous as their own offering is just some bullshit

Its all about setting a baseline. We know that the SteamDeck is gonna stick around for a while and Valve is already talking about a second version. If you thought Nintendo would be okay with Switch emulation being promoted in a heavy way on device that targets a similar audience i dont know what to tell you.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising, but irritating. I watched the Phawx's video and was actually a little disappointed, I thought the Deck would run at least as well as native Switch given the power differential.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its understandable why Nintendo would block these but its also 'fine' if people make these kinds of videos...Emulation in itself is ok even if its shown running on another device in a video unless you're Nintendo ofcourse and you possibly lose profits due to this.

Its totally fine and nothing is really gonna stop it - i just think they will have to showcase games other than Nintendo ones for these videos.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
I guess they feel threatened by the deck, because they never took down any of the aya neo videos

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Its all about setting a baseline. We know that the SteamDeck is gonna stick around for a while and Valve is already talking about a second version. If you thought Nintendo would be okay with Switch emulation being promoted in a heavy way on device that targets a similar audience i dont know what to tell you.

that's a fair point, in the end they have to protect their interests so who am I to argue. but it shows what they view the Steam Deck as.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
You say that - but they are plenty of Switch emulation videos out and Nintendo didnt have an issue with those for the GPD Win, Aya Neo etc.
They have an issue with the SteamDeck because its much closer to the Switch in price and Valve being the plattform holder.

They usually dont care about this stuff unless it gets too big/public.

I mean i never said or implied Nintendo would be 'okay' with this.

Nintendo usually takes down content even if its remotely viable for them to do so so that why i said 'nintendo gonna nintendo' so setting a baseline or not, if a thing will lessen their profits or harm their image even a single percent, they'll take it down.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo hates when people enjoy their games
For free ? Yes. Because based on how they ran on the Deck in that video thats probably the only way/reason you would play them on there if you own a Switch.
I mean i never said or implied Nintendo would be 'okay' with this. Nintendo usually takes down content even if its remotely viable for them to do so so that why i said 'nintendo gonna nintendo'.
So does every other company.
that's a fair point, in the end they have to protect their interests so who am I to argue. but it shows what they view the Steam Deck as.
Yeah, SD is priced similar to the Switch - so it being promoted as a plattform that plays Switch games, even worse pirated copies - thats not something Nintendo would wasnt to be too public.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Huh... 🤔 Thanks Nintendo, until this news, I never even thought this could be a thing, what an interesting thought.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Dolphin video too.
So yeah, I stand by what I said: Nintendo hates when people enjoy their games.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
yeah Im not seeing how nintendo can take down these videos legally speaking
Nintendo can legally if they wanted remove any Nintendo content not coming from them. It doesn't go into fair use if they can argue it can impact their market or sales. And even that is always a pain in the ass mix international copyright laws, as fair use does not exist everywhere in the world, and in those countries, like Japan, a copyright holder can block any unauthorized use of their IP.

That of course doesn't excuse Nintendo shitty behaviour of their IPs regarding copyright.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So does every other company.
Every other other company isn't anxious taking strictly stuff down as much as Nintendo lets be honest even if it deters a little what they're trying to achieve or lessens their profits. Do you see any other GAME company take down as many videos just because 'content' from the game is included in the video as much as Nintendo? They're the only GAME company in comparison to others, that panics about lots of other content thats theirs, uploaded by other people on the internet as much as this company. Its how they are *shrugs* as a company from the public PoV.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Every other other company isn't anxious taking strictly stuff down as much as Nintendo lets be honest even if it deters a little what they're trying to achieve or lessens their profits. Do you see any other GAME company take down as many videos just because 'content' from the game is included in the video as much as Nintendo? They're the only GAME company in comparison to others, that panics about lots of other content thats theirs, uploaded by other people on the internet as much as this company. Its how they are *shrugs* as a company from the public PoV.
en.wikipedia.org

Bleem! - Wikipedia

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
1. To use different settings
2. Seems like they also killed is Dolphin/Gamecube video.
Fair point, i was just adressing the "fun" part because it didnt look like too much fun on the initial video.
Come on now.

How would you expect a company to act who's latest games are being demonstrated running on a rival's machine, "illegally"?
Common sense really isnt applied in these kind of threads.
They probably think Sony would be okay with it, if there were videos out there showing how you can play TLOU, Spiderman, Uncharted and whatever for free on Xbox.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
About the whole "illegal""free" stuff.
Come on, we all know it's way easier to do that on a Switch.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Oct 25, 2017
While it's admirable what sasuke is putting forward I don't think it's that complicated…..people here absolutely need to have the inalienable right to, in March 2022, still be able to say 'fuck Nintendo' - unironically - each week, for some inane reason.

This may as well be it.

This was the under-lying message in the DICE thread the other day as well - shut up about things that affect real people in the actual industry, we're over here telling Nintendo to get fucked, actually.

It's like when Bart got mauled by a real wolf. Nobody cared. Kinda like putting fog back into an N64 game, when you think about it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been quite relaxed when it comes to these kinda videos, wonder if they gonna go harder against it now with the launch of the SteamDeck. This would be a bummer.

Guess it now passed a threshold were its too big to ignore for them. Lets see how its also gonna affect Aya Neo and co. in the future.
About the whole "illegal""free" stuff.
Come on, we all know it's way easier to do that on a Switch.
No, its not - you actually have to own and buy the system, which is a big hurdle for people a lot of people - especially the ones that arent fans of the system but want access to the games.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Fair point, i was just adressing the "fun" part because it didnt look like too much fun on the initial video.

Common sense really isnt applied in these kind of threads.
They probably think Sony would be okay with it, if there were videos out there showing how you can play TLOU, Spiderman, Uncharted and whatever for free on Xbox.
We know for a fact that Sony would not be okay with it because back in the early 2000's they sued a company called Bleem! into oblivion. Bleem made software that allowed PlayStation games to legally run on Dreamcast and PCs. They also sued Connectix which sold an PlayStation emulator on Mac. After Connectix won the lawsuit and was near bankruptcy, Sony couldn't stand for that so they bought the company and discontinued the product.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
While it's admirable what sasuke is putting forward I don't think it's that complicated…..people here absolutely need to have the inalienable right to, in March 2022, still be able to say 'fuck Nintendo' - unironically - each week, for some inane reason.

This may as well be it.

This was the under-lying message in the DICE thread the other day as well - shut up about things that affect real people in the actual industry, we're over here telling Nintendo to get fucked, actually.

It's like when Bart got mauled by a real wolf. Nobody cared. Kinda like putting fog back into an N64 game, when you think about it.
Good point.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Their games tend to get leaked before release. Seeing them up and running on what is now their biggest competitor's machine for free would be quite triggering, I imagine.