• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
What if videos posted show Switch emulation with non Nintendo games, wonder what happens?

So if it's Capcom, Square, etc... Would Nintendo strike that or would it direct Capcom and Square

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Renata Price of Waypoint (Vice Gaming) on their 1st of March episode spoke about how this could be the perfect Wii U emulation experience.

If Nintendo allows people know this is possible, it'll ruin their plans to port Xenoblade Chronicles X and Star Fox: Zero!!

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What percentage of Switch owners would purchase a Steam Deck, let alone emulate Nintendo games on it? 0.05%?
*Raises hand*
Though I guess I don't count as I am mostly a PC gamer but can't currently purchase a Steam Deck.

My Switch is now mainly a brick I use to rip games with the state Switch emulation is at now. Similar situation as my Wii U, PS3, etc. I was going to buy an OLED so I could keep my launch Switch on CFW offline at all times, but with recent news I might hold out for the Succ.

Don't even know if the Steam Deck will ever come here to AU but if it is anything like Index and Steam Controller (only through EB Games), I'd be concerned about hardware support and how'd it work... or not.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Different people have different opinions on piracy.

I still just think buy when you can, but publishers shouldn't be surprised if people look for other ways to play if they don't make their old games available.

I'm also in the "emulation and piracy discussions are separate and we should probably stop this conversation here" camp, because seriously, not every emulation thread needs to go into nonsense rambling about piracy.
Only if they are worth multi-billion dollars.

So: https://companiesmarketcap.com/video-games/largest-video-game-companies-by-market-cap/

- Paradox are worth $2.16Bn, so that's a multiple of a Billion, so that's fine.
- Team 17 are not fine as they are only worth $1.17Bn.

Paradox, Sega Sammy, CD Projekt, Capcom, Square, Ubisoft, Konami, Embracer, Bandai Namco, Take 2, Nexon, EA, Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, Sony, Tencent and Microsoft are ALL FAIR GAME!
Sounds pretty hypocritical since that is the argument people have been using to pirate old games after the news of the eshop closing (which i think its fair) but now going around claiming that it's fine to pirate them regardless if they are easily accessible sounds shitty

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty hypocritical since that is the argument people have been using to pirate old games after the news of the eshop closing (which i think its fair) but now going around claiming that it's fine to pirate them regardless if they are easily accessible sounds shitty
Who exactly are you calling hypocritical here and what for. Again, different people can have different opinions on things.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
i assume it's okay for nintendo to release ps and xbox emulators for switch then

i always wanted to play the xbox buffy game

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
There is an opportunity here for Nintendo but because they are such an archaic company their first reaction is to do take down notices.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
What percentage of Switch owners would purchase a Steam Deck, let alone emulate Nintendo games on it? 0.05%?

Assuming that the Switch ownership is 103+ million right now, .05% is 51,500, which feels like it's on the low side of things.

I'd say .5% is a safe guess though, which is 515,000. I figure that's running under the assumption that valve sells 10 million Steam Decks and roughly 1 in 20 people do the emulation thing.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This falls under fair use and should be appealed. Very scummy of Nintendo to abuse takedowns like this and (as always) for YouTube to allow large corporations to do it with impunity.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm all pro emulation but it's completely understandable that Nintendo is doing this.

If anything I'm surprised they're not doing that for other emulation videos.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What opportunity does Nintendo have here?
- making a more powerful system. Switch is very old technology now but they are now stuck because it still sells so well. Usually a generation from Nintendo lasts 5-6 years.
- have better access to it's history of titles, the way they embrace backwards compatibility or make it easy to buy old content is not user friendly
- do not remove the 3DS store
- stop seeing YouTube as a threat but rather another marketing angle. Nintendo is the most strict when it comes to protecting it's IP.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure every other company would be ecstatic to show how you too can pirate their products.
But Nintendo did not create the video so how can they show it?
So you are okay with taking down videos. Okay what about websites? People sharing it on whatsapp, messenger, etc?

Youtube can do whatever they want, it is their platform but they are only doing this because a corporation asked.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen any videos of it running on Steam deck yet. Does it actually run well?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
- making a more powerful system. Switch is very old technology now but they are now stuck because it still sells so well. Usually a generation from Nintendo lasts 5-6 years.

They most certainly are making a more powerful system, but that has nothing to do with the topic here.

- have better access to it's history of titles, the way they embrace backwards compatibility or make it easy to buy old content is not user friendly

Sure, but this is primarily because Nintendo first party Switch titles were being shown, so this point really isn't relevant to the topic here.

I agree, but again that has nothing to do with the topic here. So far none of these points are showing how Nintendo can be taking advantage of the opportunity here rather than strike down the videos because they're leveraging their games to promote emulation of Switch titles.

- stop seeing YouTube as a threat but rather another marketing angle. Nintendo is the most strict when it comes to protecting it's IP.

I think Nintendo has a perfectly valid view of not allowing content providers to use their currently on the market selling games to promote emulation. They don't strike down everything, but I do agree they are more aggressive than other IP holders. I would also agree that Nintendo can be archaic on many things.

That said, you haven't shown any points that show that Nintendo has an opportunity here by leaving up videos that are promoting emulation of their own IP for games that are currently still on the market on a device that is getting a lot of attention because of how big Valve is.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
That's not entirely relevant in the UK, as the art and music assets that compromise a game also gain separate protection by copyright and the prohibition on private copies also applies there.

The actual code of the game mechanics could be considered software (for which UK law permits a single backup copy but you cannot use both that and the original at the same time) but not the entire, working title. And most importantly, you cannot break a content protection mechanism in order to make the copy under UK law without the written permission of the Secretary of State for Culture. Which you do not have as they have never granted one. So there is no way to "back up" Switch software from the cart under UK law legally.
Perfect, thanks for the fix, I only commented because it was stating movies/music on the article and I know other EU countries have laws like that.
I know for sure here in Spain music on video games (the software itself) is a bit of a grey area regarding separated copyright. I guess only DRM-free games could be made a backup with that UK permission.

It must be said, most people are also just wrong about the limitations on Fair Use in the US which is much more ambiguous and uncertain think it is.
Correct. If Nintendo writes you and threatens with legal action (which they do without hesitation) to take down a video showing their products... good luck working on your defense with fair use.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Is it illegal to make a console that plays games of another platform?

i.e. in theory, could a company make a machine that plays Nintendo Switch carts?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
-nintendo can't magically make a new system of thin air after watching this video
-nintendo has been doing bc for decades, switch doesn't because it is a new archicture
-that is fair but i am not sure what it has to do with the matter at hand, the video isnt about 3ds emulation
-nintendo uses youtube for marketing lol, Nintendo direct format has been very successful

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

i.e. in theory, could a company make a machine that plays Nintendo Switch carts?

They could build the hardware, but the problem would be in the software needed to run the carts. They would have to figure out how to get the games to run while bypassing the checks and requirements of using Nintendo's proprietary OS.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We know for a fact that Sony would not be okay with it because back in the early 2000's they sued a company called Bleem! into oblivion. Bleem made software that allowed PlayStation games to legally run on Dreamcast and PCs. They also sued Connectix which sold an PlayStation emulator on Mac. After Connectix won the lawsuit and was near bankruptcy, Sony couldn't stand for that so they bought the company and discontinued the product.
The 2000s were a different time. The Series S right now can run lots of PS1 and PS2 games and you dont see Sony suing anyone. Its comparable to Steam Deck running Dolphin, except Nintendo actually takes those videos down.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

yep, already the case - but it hasn't been done with the Switch
3_Analogue_Pocket_All_Angles.jpg

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming that the Switch ownership is 103+ million right now, .05% is 51,500, which feels like it's on the low side of things.

I'd say .5% is a safe guess though, which is 515,000. I figure that's running under the assumption that valve sells 10 million Steam Decks and roughly 1 in 20 people do the emulation thing.

10 million Steam Decks is awfully optimistic for something that's not sold in stores, requires a preorder, and is rather pricy. I'm guessing well under a million units have been sold so far.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
The 2000s were a different time. The Series S right now can run lots of PS1 and PS2 games and you dont see Sony suing anyone. Its comparable to Steam Deck running Dolphin, except Nintendo actually takes those videos down.
In what world is Sony not having an issue with PS1/2/3 games being emulated remotely equal to Nintendo having an issue with their current games and hardware currently sold in stores being emulated and pirated? Perfectly reasonable of them to take this stuff down

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In what world is Sony not having an issue with PS1/2/3 games being emulated remotely equal to Nintendo having an issue with their current games and hardware currently sold in stores being emulated and pirated? Perfectly reasonable of them to take this stuff down
I dont see any gamecube games being sold

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has every right to block this, Nintendo Switch is their current hardware and is a direct risk to both their system and software sales

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I dont see any gamecube games being sold
Think I misread your comment, but that was my point really... that all the hyperbolic stuff in here about Nintendo being evil for not wanting to allow/publicise emulation of Switch games on a competing handheld/in general. Obv with Nintendo there is a gray area because, they are selling/have sold Gamecube games like Mario Sunshine etc... and Switch Online is a possibility still, but yes, I think its GC so they should/could be more relaxed about that

Jul 7, 2021
Nintendo has every right to block this, Nintendo Switch is their current hardware and is a direct risk to both their system and software sales

They can block it only because Google kowtows to corporations spending advertising money on their platform.

They don't have an actual legal leg to block the videos with a DMCA should google say no to them, which of course they won't.

There is exactly ZERO wrong with showing a short clip of a game running in emulation on some other device. Nothing legally or morally wrong.

I can see the corporate reason why they would want to block this information, but they shouldn't be able to. And anyone saying that they SHOULD is a corporate bootlicker.

You're essentially saying: "Won't somebody think of the poor multi-billion dollar corporation! They have no option but to swing their giant legal dick around to stifle information about a FULLY LEGAL THING, by abusing the DMCA. Oh woes is them!".

Last edited:

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily think they should get the videos removed--a lot of the copyright stunts that are pulled on YouTube hurt creators and don't take fair use into account at all--but I can see why they'd want to. Without an official way to get Switch games onto the Deck, it can easily be seen as promoting piracy via a new console. There are great reasons to emulate, and to my understanding, you can do it legally, but considering how rampant piracy can be, I at least understand why.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

Dolphin video too.
So yeah, I stand by what I said: Nintendo hates when people enjoy their games.
Switch I can understand even if I disagree with it, but Dolphin?
There has to be hundreds if not thousands of videos of Dolphin running on different devices.

Every handheld computer, every laptop, every new PC graphics card, every Android phone, etc.

Maybe re-release stuff like F-Zero GX if you don't want people to emulate your old games anymore Nintendo. I've still got my disc of that safe and secure, but I'd much rather play bit in higher resolution on a handheld than drag my old Wii out to play it.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They most certainly are making a more powerful system, but that has nothing to do with the topic here.

Sure, but this is primarily because Nintendo first party Switch titles were being shown, so this point really isn't relevant to the topic here.

I agree, but again that has nothing to do with the topic here. So far none of these points are showing how Nintendo can be taking advantage of the opportunity here rather than strike down the videos because they're leveraging their games to promote emulation of Switch titles.

I think Nintendo has a perfectly valid view of not allowing content providers to use their currently on the market selling games to promote emulation. They don't strike down everything, but I do agree they are more aggressive than other IP holders. I would also agree that Nintendo can be archaic on many things.

That said, you haven't shown any points that show that Nintendo has an opportunity here by leaving up videos that are promoting emulation of their own IP for games that are currently still on the market on a device that is getting a lot of attention because of how big Valve is.

Can you buy older Nintendo games dating back to the NES digitally that you can own forever as long as you have an active Nintendo account? Make access easy, support history.

-nintendo can't magically make a new system of thin air after watching this video
-nintendo has been doing bc for decades, switch doesn't because it is a new archicture
-that is fair but i am not sure what it has to do with the matter at hand, the video isnt about 3ds emulation
-nintendo uses youtube for marketing lol, Nintendo direct format has been very successful
They are constantly requesting videos to be taking down far more than anyone else on YouTube. Lots of popular streamers have been very vocal about this, so please tell me why they are the most active in takedown requests?

Also of course they can make new hardware, they all do. Trouble is Nintendo does not see the need to follow what others are doing or feel they need to keep up with current technology. This has led to other issues, namely some games can only be streamed.

The better question is why do people want to emulate Nintendo software to begin with? Perhaps that is because access is limited and/or the hardware is falling behind. I have seen very cool video of upgraded older Nintendo games looking very good and/or running smoother. I own a Switch, I would be the perfect candidate to purchase a $500 system that allowed things like Zelda Breath of the Wild to upscale to a higher resolution and a locked 30fps, but I guess Nintendo cannot magically make that kind of hardware...

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Nintendo did not create the video so how can they show it?
So you are okay with taking down videos. Okay what about websites? People sharing it on whatsapp, messenger, etc?

Youtube can do whatever they want, it is their platform but they are only doing this because a corporation asked.
I would prefer nintendo not to do this, but how can anyone get mad them for discouraging piracy of their products? I would also think its against youtube's rules to allow videos that promote illegal activity - which pirating games is. even if they choose not to enforce those rules in many instances, claims against them on that basis are totally legitimate.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
They are constantly requesting videos to be taking down far more than anyone else on YouTube. Lots of popular streamers have been very vocal about this, so please tell me why they are the most active in takedown requests?

That's fine to be critical of how aggressive Nintendo is taking down videos, but the topic that this thread about is about them taking down videos with regards to their IP of current on the market games being used to show off emulation on another company's hardware that is getting a lot of spotlight because it's Valve. Explain to me what opportunity there is in this instance of what the thread is about for Nintendo to leave them up?

Also of course they can make new hardware, they all do. Trouble is Nintendo does not see the need to follow what others are doing or feel they need to keep up with current technology. This has led to other issues, namely some games can only be streamed.

Their current hardware is selling like crazy still and doing record numbers for them. As long as it keeps selling, that means there is clear demand for what they currently have so why should they disrupt their current business model that is doing extremely well for them? I've been waiting for the Switch Pro just as much as anyone based on the rumors, but I'm not going to fault them for doing what is working really well for them and still selling extremely well.

The better question is why do people want to emulate Nintendo software to begin with? Perhaps that is because access is limited and/or the hardware is falling behind. I have seen very cool video of upgraded older Nintendo games looking very good and/or running smoother. I own a Switch, I would be the perfect candidate to purchase a $500 system that allowed things like Zelda Breath of the Wild to upscale to a higher resolution and a locked 30fps, but I guess Nintendo cannot magically make that kind of hardware...

I'm a big proponent of emulation and game preservation, but I'm not going to sit here and ignore that a lot of people like emulation because it's easy access to games without paying for them. Emulation is completely legal, but unfortunately a lot of people use it for illegal means. No doubt there's plenty of people who want to use emulation to enhance their games, do neat modifications, and other legitimate things with it but there are likely way more people who just want to play games without paying for them. Despite being a big proponent of emulation and preservation, I know that's the reality of the world. I also know Nintendo has to protect their interests for things that are currently being sold on the market so I understand why Nintendo wants to do this too.

So I ask again, what opportunity are they missing out on here with the topic at hand? You have legitimate gripes about Nintendo in general, but with regards to the topic of the thread, I don't see this missed opportunity they have by leaving it up.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I own a Switch, I would be the perfect candidate to purchase a $500 system that allowed things like Zelda Breath of the Wild to upscale to a higher resolution and a locked 30fps, but I guess Nintendo cannot magically make that kind of hardware...

They can and are, but it has nothing to do with the Steam Deck or videos of Switch emulation on the Steam Deck. They're on their own timeline.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'd love for one of these Youtubers to actually fight this since I'm pretty sure this is covered under fair use, but I totally understand why everyday people have other stuff to worry about.

Sony lost a lawsuit that let Bleem advertise their for-profit emulator with screenshots of first party games. I don't see why doing the same thing on the Steam Deck would be any different unless a court decides that using a 3 minute clip instead of a screenshot of a video game is a substantial part of a 40 hour game.

They can block it only because Google kowtows to corporations spending advertising money on their platform.

They don't have an actual legal leg to block the videos with a DMCA should google say no to them, which of course they won't.
The DMCA tells Google to side with Nintendo be default since the takedown notices are supposed to be done by a lawyer that has considered the fair use implications on penalty of perjury.

Jul 7, 2021
I'd love for one of these Youtubers to actually fight this since I'm pretty sure this is covered under fair use, but I totally understand why everyday people have other stuff to worry about.

Sony lost a lawsuit that let Bleem advertise their for-profit emulator with screenshots of first party games. I don't see why doing the same thing on the Steam Deck would be any different unless a court decides that using a 3 minute clip instead of a screenshot of a video game is a substantial part of a 40 hour game.

The DMCA tells Google to side with Nintendo be default since the takedown notices are supposed to be done by a lawyer that has considered the fair use implications on penalty of perjury.

Lol, supposed to, and reality doesn't match up in MOST of these DMCA takedowns. The situation sucks. Would love to see some consequences for these lawyers.