• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Some creepy-ass photos...

...Yeah I'm not a fan of Nintendo's overly zealous efforts in stopping piracy. Not necessarily referring to this case, but more in general. Or what they perceive to be violations of IP rights, like shutting down that fanmade Metroid game or having people remove tourney ARMS footage. Way to kill free advertising for your games, there :/
Pirated Gameboy cartridges were everywhere during that time, some were sold as legit by shops.

Save states deleted mere months after playing ... Imagine collecting video games and then finding out years later that your whole collection was fake, I was heart broken. All my GB and GBA collections were fake.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Looks more like 1894.
pretty much :)

especially this one

1Unt51X.png

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Pirated Gameboy cartridges were everywhere during that time, some were sold as legit by shops.

Save states deleted mere months after playing ... Imagine collecting video games and then finding out years later that your whole collection was fake, I was heart broken. All my GB and GBA collections were fake.

Yeah, that's the part that feeds into the creepy. There's a certain intrigue to pirated games/hardware at that time however b/c it wasn't as simple as getting an ARM and slapping ready-done emulators and ROMs onto cheap flash like it is these days.

Some of the illegal stuff of that period looks like it involved some pretty oddball hardware to get done, or "interesting" means of accessing the chips at least.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*shrugs*
Since emulation was starting to take off back then those pictures really didn't do anything except encourage emulation to thrive even more.
Maybe not directly but I'm sure some kind of influence kickstart something Nintendo never wanted.

Never run though a dry forest with a torch to burn a wooden cabin down.
Sure you got the cabin but what about the now burning forest?

GG Nintendo

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Cracks me up they send a guy in a Mario costume to celebrate the occasion.

It also cracks me up how ugly these Mario costumes used to be, that's the stuff of nightmares.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
*shrugs*
Since emulation was starting to take off back then those pictures really didn't do anything except encourage emulation to thrive even more.
Maybe not directly but I'm sure some kind of influence kickstart something Nintendo never wanted.

Never run though a dry forest with a torch to burn a wooden cabin down.
Sure you got the cabin but what about the now burning forest?

GG Nintendo

I'm not sure people around the world were aware of what seemed to be an odd Dutch "marketing" campaign. After all, it took this long for it to surface. And good internet didn't exist back then.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
As a Dutch guy, at the time I thought this was a world wide thing as Nintendo was huge at the time (still is, but no internet and Nintendomination and all that), but all the reactions here points towards a big "no" combined with a "wtf???" lol

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure people around the world were aware of what seemed to be an odd Dutch "marketing" campaign. After all, it took this long for it to surface. And good internet didn't exist back then.
I don't think they never needed to.
Didn't need good internet back then.
Well... dial up was obviously better than nothing.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
As a Dutch guy, at the time I thought this was a world wide thing as Nintendo was huge at the time (still is, but no internet and Nintendomination and all that), but all the reactions here points towards a big "no" combined with a "wtf???" lol

I've known Nintendo has had a hard stance against bootlegs and piracy going back to the famicom, particularly in Asia. The number of famiclones feels countless.

Mario literally steamrolling bootleg game boy boxes? Definitely first I have come across. Your country seems pretty frickin' wild!

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
*looks at the Mario Images*

Why do I get the feeling that we're going to get a Mario creepypasta on this? Much like most things back in the day, mascots were scary as all hell to look at.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing someone destroy fully functional things just makes me sad, the could've used it as charity instead in some poor country where kids can't afford games.