• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017

The main concerns are primarily:

- Switch sell through is lower than expected in H1 2018
- Nintendo Labo launch was muted and isn't selling Switch hardware
- Nintendo Switch Online service won't launch with a killer app
- Strong competition from other Console, PC, Mobile games

Of course whilst that is some what of a concern, there is no doubt that Smash Ultimate will be the biggest Smash game ever. Pokemon tying in with Pokemon Go / going back to Yellow will really help with sales. Also Nintendo is doing well in other segments such as mobile etc...

MOD EDIT (July 4): Down another 5.27%
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3128...o-drop-nikkei-says-slow-switch-sales-a?page=1

The Nikkei thinks it's because of a lack of new information on the game pipeline and sluggish sales of the Switch, causing foreign shareholders to get rid of the stock.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of the games showcased at Microsoft and Sony's conferences are coming out next year, lol. Don't see how the competition is all that different for 2018. Nintendo is the holidays has both Pokemon and Smash which are both going to sell systems.

As soon as they announce a price drop and online features via a Direct the stocks will be up again.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Member has been banned (24h): trolling. Has been warned multiple times for console warring before.
I mean they did spend 20 minutes out of the 45 on a Smash port.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably doomed. Again.
gj4tz.gif

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of the games showcased at Microsoft and Sony's conferences are coming out next year, lol. Don't see how the competition is all that different for 2018. Nintendo is the holidays has both Pokemon and Smash which are both going to sell systems.
Xbox and PlayStation have Call of Duty, Assasin's Creed, Red Dead 2, Spider-Man, Forza, and God knows how many other games that aren't coming to Switch.

I'm not saying this drop in stock actually means much, but just saying.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Predictable, considering Waluigi wasn't revealed as a new Smash playable fighter.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread cannot possibly go well.
Anyway, if i had to guess its because of a lack of surprises? i dont really know this stuff tbh. id say its because switch is having a boring second year but i doubt the market looks at it that way.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Switch sell through is lower than expected in H1 2018
I said the exactly same thing in some threads about Switch reaching the 20 million in FY but some guys tried to say it was not true lol

Even Japan sales are basically flat compared with last year heavy supply constrained.

For now the drop in sales for Switch doesn't help to reach the 20 million shipped this fiscal year.

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
Is odd since the there a continuous stream of games coming to switch with third party support throughout the year.
Maybe that's why I don't play the stock market

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Do people not think Pokémon and Smash and are going to crush it?? When did investors become ERA/GAF levels of entitled for surprises?

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
Stock probably increased the weeks leading up to e3 and now are probably adjusting back to normal. As for sales, I think Fortnite will be a huge system seller for the Switch. Nintendo will hit their Switch sales number this year.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe next year they'll actually show a single new 1st party game.
Sony and Nintendo had the same strategy it seems. I didn't care for either.

Fortnite has shown to move other consoles so it may have the same effect on the Switch. Portable Fortnite is really cool and kids are gonna eat it up I think. Let's see if this free to play game helps

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I mean if you dont like JRPGs (or Lets Go) then all you have right now is Splatoon, Mario Tennis and Smash.

2nd year was extremely weak but it wont appear that way to people who salivate over Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Throwing Pikmin or Animal Crossing into the mix would alleviate some concern

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to buy a Switch until I see system wide party chat, and lobbies at least on par with the PlayStation Vita.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
After 2017, it felt Nintendo had turned a corner regarding development. Not only of individual games, with focus on new IPs like Arms and Splatoon, but on transformative, goty sequels like botw and Odyssey.

2018 feels like old Nintendo again.
Disappointing online reveal.
Messy and not unanimously exciting pokemon reveal.
Delays.
Empty spots in schedule.
Core games focusing on nostalgia rather than modern innovation (pokemon, smash).
Not much third party support.

If I were an investor, I'd also lose some optimism in the company.

Nintendo is a talented underperformer. Lots of potential, but sometimes failing to reach it.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's simple.

Nintendo does good, Nintendo will get a cookie.

Nintendo does average, Nintendo does not get a cookie.

This year is not bad by any means, but it's very lackluster compared to last year, both in terms of games and marketing.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of discussing how Nintendo is doing is the defensive fans preemptively making jokes about them being doomed.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Well, no Metroid Prime, no Animal Crossing, Yoshi and Fire Emblem push back to 2019. I wont be buying tons of Nintendo games , no interest in Pokemon, Smash, Mario Party.

Unless there is a surprise with a Nintendo Direct by the end of the year and a immediate release, i feel my wallet will be pretty safe this year for Switch games... :(.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Investors expected just a bit more is all that means. They may be right or wrong. I think Pokemon will sell insane amounts of systems. But I also think Nintendo is releasing content a tad slower than I thought having a single platform would allow.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Their E3 as pathetic and worrying. Nintendo has a HUGE problem with 1st party productions. But now they have only one plateform, yet their release schedule is super dry. Switch's first year happened because not only they had a lot of assets to recycle, it had a lot of do to them abandonning Wii U.

But in 2018 ? Their only big new title is Smash Bros... which is basically a deluxe version of Smash Bros 4.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Stock probably increased the weeks leading up to e3 and now are probably adjusting back to normal. As for sales, I think Fortnite will be a huge system seller for the Switch. Nintendo will hit their Switch sales number this year.
Stock price started to go down drastically around June 1, probably when insiders started to find out about their e3 plans. The current dip is from the general public after yesterday's showing.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The stock market is worse than videogame forums.

But yeah, they didnt had their brightest e3 showing. I was with a lot of people in the same room, and 3 of us loved smash, but the girls that have also the switch and love other nintendo games were seriously bored and hated the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.