1. Atheerios

Atheerios
    Member OP

We have seen other companies suing Nintendo multiple times. Now it's their turn.

Edit: here's a video of the infringing game. The implementation of the virtual joystick is actually pretty neat.

The thing is the company seems to have made a big fuss about how they invented that virtual joystick, which in turn made Nintendo angry.

[​IMG]

A drawing from Nintendo's patent:

[​IMG]

2. Ariashadow

Ariashadow

Nintendo got tired of being on the receiving end huh

3. Lite_Agent

Lite_Agent

Well, now we know of at least one company Nintendo won't turn to for support with their mobile games ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4. massoluk

massoluk

Does this have to do with Mario 64 DS?

5. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy
    Banned Member

I find the reasoning to be very strange. I thought Virrtual Joysticks was standard on many mobile games. Why would Nintendo patent that?

6. Lusamine

Lusamine

They trying to kill Shironeko for the Zelda game!

7. Neptonic

Neptonic

They’re coming for blood

8. massoluk

massoluk

Well SM64 DS is a Nintendo DS launch title. Nintendo DS launched before the first iphone

We're talking about the time when pinch to zoom was one of the highlights of Apple conference, folks.

9. JEFFREY GRUBB

JEFFREY GRUBB
    GamesBeat.com reporter Verafied

... uh, money.

10. grandjedi

grandjedi

11. cw_sasuke

cw_sasuke

Kimishima aint playing around.

12. Mark H

Mark H

Ah, I was wondering why touch screen based joystick control would be in violation.
    Now you mention it, yeah if Nintendo patented that they might have a case.

13. Yoshi

Yoshi
    Banned Member

Rayman DS did the same thing at the same time though, it would be a bit fishy to give a patent to Nintendo for it then.

14. Outtrigger888

Outtrigger888

If it's virtual is it even real? Can't a company just say no that's actually a virtual pulley rod not a joystick.

15. Mark H

Mark H

Quick google search gives me Rayman DS release was in March 2005 while Mario 64 DS was in November 2004.
    Maybe Nintendo provided the necessary API to do the touch based joystick on DS?

16. Yoshi

Yoshi
    Banned Member

Ah, sorry, both were launch titles here (in Europe), but I forgot to check whether they were internationally, as well.

17. CloakBass

CloakBass

I'm curious about the nitty-gritty of the lawsuit because this is a really common feature of touchscreen games. I can't imagine very many of them licensed the idea from Nintendo.

18. NyxKiria

NyxKiria
    Self-Requested Permanent Ban Member

Is this cause they use a special kind of virtual joystick where you can move and attack with 1 hand like in White Cat Project?

19. Neapolitan

Neapolitan

So I take that the joystick thing is one of the disputed patent. What about the other 4? Anyone got info on it?

20. Aztorian

Aztorian

What? The touch-joystick that works like shit is patented? By Nintendo? World is full of surprises.

21. unicornKnight

unicornKnight

Hope they use the money to fund a new Wave Race

22. KtSlime

KtSlime

Have you played shironeko project? It's "punicon" virtual joystick is one of the best controls on touch screen.

23. PachaelD

PachaelD

Also grabbed quotes from the MC thread, where I also posted this.

If it's just about the virtual joystick for character movement which is commonly used in smartphone games these days then it's probably something that does need to be tested in court since the sides are probably arguing over how the virtual joystick patent was provided and used. (stylus/thumb tool/thumb, handheld versus smartphone, visibility of button etc)

Assuming that the case succeeds, Nintendo could use it as precedent from other developers to license the patent for royalties or cross-patent or cross-development agreements. e.g. Azur Lane (Yostar), Lineage II (netmarble), Honor of Kings/Arena of Valour (Tencent, though maybe the Switch port deal might have included the license)

Regardless, Nintendo do have lots of other up and coming mobile developers to choose from. I think it's just that any negotiations with colopl on any of that kind have broken down. Maybe Akatsuki or klab have openings...

24. Ryoukai

Ryoukai

Colopl used the punicon touch features in majority of their games, including their shovelware mobages. Quite interesting to see how Colopl future games will be if the lawsuit is successful for Nintendo.

25. Aztorian

Aztorian

I haven't, but now I'm interested in the controls.

26. casiopao

casiopao

I mean, if we are talking about successful mobile game devs,

4samurai
    DeNa
    Wright Flyer
    Pokelabo
    DMM
    Cygames

And that is only scratching the surface for many mobile company possible to partner with Ninty.

27. Lusamine

Lusamine

So did this start because Colopl tried to patent it also?

28. Atheerios

Atheerios
    Member OP

Added more info to the OP

29. Noroi_Kisaragi

Noroi_Kisaragi
    Banned Member

video game patents are dumb

all of them
    literally all of them

30. Lusamine

Lusamine

The backlash against Nintendo seems to be strong right now. #任天堂を許すな

31. Atheerios

Atheerios
    Member OP

Oh wow, it's true, that's trending.

However most tweets seem to be jokes lol

32. Bishop89

Bishop89

Something juicy, nice.

Haven't seen this from Nintendo for a long time

33. apeAsnake

apeAsnake

That game looks neat and it released in 2014 damn

34. chrisPjelly

chrisPjelly

Ehhh, that's a stupidly broad patent. Did Nintendo's lawyer's want to flex their muscles or something?

35. KtSlime

KtSlime

Did you read the patent? Impressive, can you give a summary?

36. Dyle

Dyle

I was not a fan at all of the touch control in Mario 64DS and played with the dpad, so clearly Nintendo is in the wrong here. There must be something very specific about their use of the stick to give this case merit, given how common virtual sticks are in other games, and the fact this game first released years ago.

37. casiopao

casiopao

Shironeko fans Counterattack.^_^

38. Damn. Shironeko is pretty big so the backlash is not surprising but still the fact that is trending is nuts.

39. CO_Andy

CO_Andy

Namco's minigame on loading screen patent was the absolute worst

40. Bishop89

Bishop89

Do they still have that?

41. I think that patent has expired? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

42. Chrono

Chrono

Man I miss this game, shame Colopl US had to shut it down but then, with these lawsuits, I'm not sure how much longer the game has. I wonder what took Nintendo so long, this game has been around for a while now.

43. FZZ

FZZ

This reeks of Yamauchi era Nintendo

Still don't like Kimi heading the ship going forward

44. Cantaim

Cantaim

Huh did not know Nintendo had a patent on that. Guess that explains why more companies didn't use the same set up. Always thought it was weird not many people used it lol.

45. clay_ghost

clay_ghost

Failed negotiation?

46. Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Do not get into a fight with nintendo on who invented what first. What fans of the other are not happy? Hmm, anyway the phone industry seems so full of minefields when it comes to patents I wonder how people keep track of all that stuff when designing games or tech.

47. Chrono

Chrono

Could be. It seems really strange to go the 4 years or so and then LAWSUIT! I guess we don't really know what was going on behind-the-scenes, though.

48. Myself

Myself

Software patents are such bullshit

49. Plankton2

Plankton2

Gonna need way more information on what exactly the patents are, before making any judgement.

50. tonyh24613

tonyh24613

Most of the tweets are actually praising Nintendo. lol