• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
www.bfmtv.com

Nintendo dépasse les sept millions de ventes de sa console Switch en France

Selon le directeur général de Nintendo France, Philippe Lavoué, "10,5% des 67 millions de Français sont équipés d'une Switch."

Thanks to the 987,000 Switch sold last year, the Nintendo console brings its total to 7.1 million sales in France, surpassing the previous "record" held by the Nintendo Wii with 6.3 million units in total, explained to Philippe Lavoué, general manager of Nintendo France.

Other data underlining the strong presence of the console with consumers: "10.5% of the 67 million French people are equipped with a Switch"

Other interesting facts:
  • Nintendo DS is still the best-selling handheld console in France with over 10m units sold
  • Pokemon saw a record-breaking year for any franchise in France
  • 50% of consoles sold in 2022 in France were Switch
It just won't stop

C2Bshl2UQAAtXZS.png

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
DS is untouchable but Switch will come very close, especially considering that a new platform won't be out until next year.

Nintendo is really a powerhouse in continental Europe.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The Verge - "Continuing to sell the Nintendo Switch with its current specs is one of the biggest tech blunders of 2022"

An absolutely historic error from Nintendo management. Better call in the administrators and get the whole thing shut down

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still impressive the turnaround from WiiU to their current success being in contest for best selling console WW.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
funny how the Switch isn't a portable for this metric when it is more handheld than console.
i guess they don't think it can surpass the DS and want some clicks.

Jun 10, 2018
So home consoles and portable consoles are distinct markets?
Switch touches both bases, so it's always weird how Switch is exclusively contextualized as a home console.
funny how the Switch isn't a portable for this metric when it is more handheld than console.
TBF, it's not really news worthy to see the headline "Nintendo portable sells at a high rate and surpasses [insert milestone]"

That's pretty much expected news at this point after 40 years of success.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There's no way a Switch 2 would be successful.

People never buy hardware that's just more of the same.

**Posted from hardware that's just more of the same**

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

How is it more one then the other? The Switch can do both and iirc the numbers Nintendo posted show it being used more docked? (I personally use mine in handheld like 90% of the time these days)

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

I doubt a Switch 2 will do as well, but probably still do well regardless.

But the sales for the device are still so good the "we need a switch 2, and we needed it yesterday" crowd should take a back seat

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

The model that is handheld only is by far the worst selling - and Nintendo has provided data that shows the usage breakdown and it is more docked than not so............

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How is it more one then the other? The Switch can do both and iirc the numbers Nintendo posted show it being used more docked? (I personally use mine in handheld like 90% of the time these days)

It's the other way round, docked was used the least. Docked was about 18%, handheld only slightly over 30% and both approximately equally for the rest. Those numbers are from early on, but given the Switch lite exists it's extremely unlikely to swing significantly in docked only users favour. In any case, there's a reason they made a handheld only version but not a docked only one.

Not that that should be surprising, Nintendo's real success has always been handhelds.

Jun 10, 2018
They made the light since they didn't have a cheaper handheld like the old gameboy/DS.
Well, it's that, and because the Lite doesn't interfere with the appeal of being able to play Nintendo's bigger budget software on a portable.

A docked-only Switch would just make it more apparent it is an inferior home console experience to the other devices on the market.
Not that that should be surprising, Nintendo's real success has always been handhelds.
The internet lives in bizarro world where it was the 3DS and handhelds by extension that Nintendo needed to move on from due to continual market disappointments.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
The Verge - "Continuing to sell the Nintendo Switch with its current specs is one of the biggest tech blunders of 2022"

An absolutely historic error from Nintendo management. Better call in the administrators and get the whole thing shut down

agreed, someone at nintendo needs to be held accountable for this blundering

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Game boy, GBC and then GBA proved the opposite.
Same for the DS and then the 3DS.
Curious to see for how many years Nintendo will still release games for Switch because it may be extremely outdated already at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much for all the people that just purchased one, if they keep releasing 1st party games for years to come on it, it's still "enough" to keep it alive.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Switch had 1.23 Mio. units in 2021 and now 987k in 2022 in France - so this means -20% YoY.

Switch LTD is at 7.09 Mio. units now - so its the second best selling gaming plattform of all time in France, only beated by the Nintendo DS. This is very very impressing. Switch even beat the PS2 by a quite margin already in France.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Game boy, GBC and then GBA proved the opposite.
Same for the DS and then the 3DS.
Curious to see for how many years Nintendo will still release games for Switch because it may be extremely outdated already at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much for all the people that just purchased one, if they keep releasing 1st party games for years to come on it, it's still "enough" to keep it alive.

i think there's a difference here since the console is pretty much their flagship.

there's no real need to spread themselves thin over two platforms anymore.

i guess all we can really do is see what direction they take it in.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019

People said the same thing about the Wii and DS. Gaming media and enthusiasts don't understand that the average person doesn't care about power the same way they do

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lol literally looked through it and didn't see it. Interesting. Whats the first non-Nintendo console on that list?

Numbers from Astral_lion02 on IB

LTD

01 NDS - 10.56M
02 NSW - 7.09M
03 GMB - ~6.5M
04 WII - 6.29M
05 PS4 - ~6M
06 PS2 - ~6M
07 3DS - 5.62M
08 PSP - ~5.58M
09 PS1 - ~5M
10 360 - 3.38M

www.installbaseforum.com

Nintendo France : Switch becomes the best-selling home console ever in France, top software sales and more

As the tradition, Philippe Lavoué (Nintendo France President) has shared several tidbits about the Switch performance in 2022: 987.000 Switch units sold in 2022, 50% of consoles sold were Switch in 2022 That puts the Switch total at 7.09m units since launch, above the record held by the Wii...

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. Even if we put aside the technicalities around it being a hybrid, I would argue that most Switch games are not designed with a smaller screen in mind. They certainly work in portable mode, but things like their UI scaling and overall visual design/clarity are not very handheld-like.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Might be a tall order to try and catch DS at this point but that's still a monumental result. Really curious what the global total looks like once earnings for the most recent quarter are released.