• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
e4e35au.png

I'd now like to take this opportunity to talk about new fields where we will utilize our cash.

As a company that brings smiles through entertainment, Nintendo's goal has always been to create original entertainment. In a business with extreme fluctuations like the entertainment business, the basic policy of our financial activities has been to secure cash and other liquid assets so we can continually offer products and services that constantly deliver new surprises.

While this basic policy will not change, the Nintendo Switch business has exceeded our expectations, putting us in a strong cash position in these last few years and presenting a good opportunity to reconsider how to most effectively utilize our cash in a variety of strategic and meaningful ways.

Let me describe the fields we plan to actively focus on from a mid- to long- term perspective, given the changes in our current business environment.

These efforts will be made in addition to our conventional research and development and capital expenditures. The new fields where we will utilize our cash can be broadly classified under two themes: building software assets and building a foundation for maintaining and expanding relationships with consumers.

These software assets include games, and we aim to expand our game development frameworks inside the Nintendo group. We are not dismissing the possibility of M&A activities, but our first priority is to organically expand our own organization to continue Nintendo's creative culture. In addition, we will pursue opportunities in non-game entertainment businesses that have high affinity with the game business. To that end, we will work to build software assets in fields other than games. We will also work to develop new video content, following on from the Super Mario movie.

Our other theme, of building a foundation for maintaining and expanding relationships with consumers, will center on expanding the ways that Nintendo Accounts can serve as the foundation for providing consumers with better experiences and better services, and for creating new added value. The aim is not to simply promote the shift to digital, but to build a uniquely Nintendo service infrastructure based on our integrated hardware-software business. To maintain and expand relationships with consumers, we will work to enhance the My Nintendo service, discussed before, and the My Nintendo Store.

Our efforts will also include initiatives to increase the ways to deliver Nintendo software, following the new Nintendo Shops for Asia and South America that we opened after the launch of Nintendo Switch. In addition, we will consider enhancing our direct touchpoints with consumers through efforts such as adding more physical stores, as represented by Nintendo TOKYO, both in Japan and overseas Along with our integrated hardware-software business, which is at the center of everything we do, we also consider utilizing our cash in the research and development of technologies for delivering our software assets, and in the formation of new partnerships that can help bring that about.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
I assume this is related to hiring and not buying new devs?
Main focus will be expanding Nintendo dev studios, not ruling out mergers and acquisitions.

This particular line strikes me as interesting:
"In addition, we will pursue opportunities in non-game entertainment businesses that have high affinity with the game business. To that end, we will work to build software assets in fields other than games. We will also work to develop new video content, following on from the Super Mario movie."

Are they saying that Nintendo themselves are getting into video production, like smash trailers and such? Or just collabing with other studios?

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit am I reading that right? 100 billion yen on game dev is ~$870 million USD

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Great company, bad investment. Can't imagine how is it possible for a popular gaming company to keep losing money after COVID boom.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Great company, bad investment. Can't imagine how is it possible for a popular gaming company to keep losing money after COVID boom.
? This is them saying they've made so much money that they have room to put it back into the company and expand their scope.
ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”
suoer exciting stuff, people complained that the switch "doesn't have enough games to serve as a combined handheld and console replacement" so this should help with that!

dom

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet they had to close down their California branch.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I wonder if the parks are gonna actually make them more than game dev.
Considering that absolute fucktons of money the Disney Parks division generates (waaaaay more than the films division, like literally twice as much), if they play it right the potential is absolutely there. Granted, they're licensing out to Universal rather than operating in-house, so who knows what the split looks like.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
We got Metroid 5, Advance Wars, Pokemon Snap, and freaking Famicom Detective Club this year.

Im not even an F-Zero fan, but I honestly see it as possible tbh!
A new F-Zero on Switch would be a dream. Can you imagine how good it could be?

Honestly, at this point I'd even take an 'F-Zero 99' variant of it where it was 99 players in a death race, where lap on lap more obstacles were added to the track and the speed increased until one person remained.

Just give me some new F-Zero Nintendo. Just something šŸ™

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Mkt cap dropped 25% yoy, even if they're not losing they're not beating estimates (in a pandemic year). it took major games delays and controversy for Activision stock to drop 18%
That's not the company losing money. That's the stock holders losing money if they see it as a short term investment.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
"Expand software development frameworks"

I don't know how much more directly they could say they're making Mother 4. Awesome!
T_T

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like more movies are coming, because that translates to what? $450 million dollars for "non-gaming visual entertainment"?

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'm on this train. go fully hand drawn in the old mario comic book style. with legit full frame animation. Shit could look absolutely incredible.

It'll be in Super Mario-kun style.

"Expand software development frameworks"

I don't know how much more directly they could say they're making Mother 4. Awesome!
T_T

Itoi: bugsbunnyno.jpg

Sounds like more movies are coming, because that translates to what? $450 million dollars for "non-gaming visual entertainment"?

Or series, or comics, or other stuff.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
So they are taking profit from game sales and gaming hardware sales and investing it into things that aren't games.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but isn't the 300 billion yen (2.7 billion) for what sounds like Nintendo online/storefront stuff?

It sounds like more Nintendo Stores are coming as well.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
hopefully some of these resources can go towards thickening up some of their more content-anemic releases (golf, party, tennis etc). Maybe bring back some of the principal staff of alpha dream to make a new mario adjacent cutesy rpg series. Kirby could work well? Also let Sakurai do another expensive retro revival in the spirit of ki:uprising .

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I will humbly accept $900 million to advise Nintendo on how to best develop my dating sim featuring Lucina and Lola Pop