delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
EDIT: I thought it's only 1 lawsuit, but no, it's 2 lawsuits in total that both got dismissed.
This is only for clarification.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Two Joy-Con drift lawsuits have been dismissed after five years | VGC

Two significant lawsuits over Nintendo Switch Joy-Con drift have been dismissed in U.S. court.

View: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1790135839374123388

Dismiss if old. Nintendo lawyers are truly the teams you don't want to trifle with.

6JXSwUY.png

Last edited:

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
That's awful. I have two Pro controllers, hardly ever used. They drift like nothing else.. absolute garbage that they just kept producing the same faulty hardware for years and selling it at exorbitant prices.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful. I have two Pro controllers, hardly ever used. They drift like nothing else.. absolute garbage that they just kept producing the same faulty hardware for years and selling it at exorbitant prices.
There are dozen of YouTube tutorials to fix this easily though...it's not like it's a major hardware issue

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Note, all efforts to file a class action lawsuit against Nintendo have been dismissed or didn't go beyond impacting Nintendo. This is the last class action lawsuit for Joycon drift to be dismissed.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't they provided free out of warranty repairs?

Unlike PlayStation who makes you pay for shipping even if the repairs are within the warranty period. Go after them for sure. But what course of action does anyone have if Nintendo is providing free out of warranty repairs? I got my Joycons fixed out of warranty for free.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There are dozen of YouTube tutorials to fix this easily though...it's not like it's a major hardware issue

the vast majority of people aren't comfortable doing that.

Unlike PlayStation who makes you pay for shipping even if the repairs are within the warranty period. Go after them for sure. But what course of action does anyone have if Nintendo is providing free out of warranty repairs? I got my Joycons fixed out of warranty for free.

afaik only in the US, but I'm not positive.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
You should try opening and cleaning the sticks, mine started drifting in 2020, so I opened and cleaned it and it never happened again lol

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

Well this is a US lawsuit so what relevance does what happened in the rest of the world have? Also I'm in Canada and I got free out of warranty repairs.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY

The burden shouldn't be on the customer. They had years to fix this shit in manufacturing.

You should try opening and cleaning the sticks, mine started drifting in 2020, so I opened and cleaned it and it never happened again lol

Mine are barely used, they were stored in a sealed container - no dust or skinflakes or whatever. I just gave them another shot recently because I needed some extra controllers for my steam deck.

My characters would just start walking into a random direction by themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
The burden shouldn't be on the customer. They had years to fix this shit in manufacturing.

Mine are barely used, they were stored in a sealed container - no dust or skinflakes or whatever. I just gave them another shot recently because I needed some extra controllers for my steam deck.
Considering this is a US lawsuit, and they offer free out-of-warranty fixes for joycons in the US, it's no wonder the lawsuit was dismissed

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Still suggest doing so, then using the controller recalibration feature in the console settings; the controller stores it's calibration setting on board and it sitting unused for so long might have actually thrown that off.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Get some hall effect sticks/controllers and don't pay them shit. Utterly ridiculous. I bet that the new controllers aren't gonna fix shit either.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
These controllers are fundamentally flawed and for Nintendo to get a "sure, that's fine" is a huge FUCK YOU to all the people who paid for their broken product. Incredible

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

A better idea would be for the giant corporation to not sell controllers with a known issue. Not for people to watch videos to fix their shitty product.

A lot of people just buy new controllers instead. It's probably been quite profitable for them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

I had success getting a free repair in Australia once, but I had to threaten them with getting consumer protection involved. It was such a shitty drawn out process that I caved and bought more joycons the next few times. Garbage product.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec

Had to send multiple Joy-Con for repair since release (free in CAD at least), but I must say, my old beaten and bruised Pro Controller never had drift! I thought only the Joy-con had issue! (I know that every controller can drift, but I meant that fast)

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still find it weird that i never had any stick issues in every console of past gens, but in this one i've had Drift in a pair of joy cons, a xbox controller, and a ps5 controller. Really can't help but wonder how they managed to create great ergonomic controllers this gen, while also being a let down with a need for repair.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Still find it weird that i never had any stick issues in every console of past gens, but in this one i've had Drift in a pair of joy cons, a xbox controller, and a ps5 controller.
Could it be because all controllers use simliar potentiometers with the same contact materials that can easily worn out, causing drift? I never gotten my answer to this question for as long as I know of.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolute shit, but I am glad I tossed the Hall Effect sticks in my joycons. They have been great ever since.

Oct 27, 2017
A better idea would be for the giant corporation to not sell controllers with a known issue. Not for people to watch videos to fix their shitty product.

A lot of people just buy new controllers instead. It's probably been quite profitable for them.
but they can send their controllers in to fix for free. the whole process probably takes a week max (i've unfortunately had to send mine in twice)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this whole debacle at least convinced them to do better with the Switch 2 controllers' sticks to save everyone involved from further headaches.

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico

This lawsuit was for the Joy cons, not for the Pro Controllers.

For that matter, while the Joy cons build quality is known to be terrible, I never heard before about the Pro Controllers having the same issue.

In my experience, while my two sets of Joy cons have suffered from drift even after they were repaired, my Pro Controller only started drifting like crazy over the prior year, and that was after 6 years of constant use.

Considering this is a US lawsuit, and they offer free out-of-warranty fixes for joycons in the US, it's no wonder the lawsuit was dismissed

They also offered free repairs in Mexico out of warranty, although I'm not sure if that's still in effect to this day.

Honestly, it's the least they could do considering how terrible the problems with the Joy cons were.

While the lawsuit proceeding would have been preferable, I can only hope that the legal fees and the costs of free repairs have added up to a point where they will fix this damned issue with the Switch 2.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Joy cons are such pieces of shit. Not to mention ludicrously expensive at $80.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Still find it weird that i never had any stick issues in every console of past gens, but in this one i've had Drift in a pair of joy cons, a xbox controller, and a ps5 controller. Really can't help but wonder how they managed to create great ergonomic controllers this gen, while also being a let down with a need for repair.
yeah not sure why this problem is often painted as a nintendo exclusive problem, it happens with all of them.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I did a handful of stick swaps in the first few years of the Switch's lifetime but every pair of JoyCons I've purchased since 2019 have yet to give me any issues.
My orange & purple pair are real troopers. Multiple hundreds of hours on that set.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should sue the component manufacturers.

Feb 9, 2024
The burden shouldn't be on the customer.

Actually, it is. Electronics require maintenance, and unlike the joycons, pro controllers are well known for their resilience.

Every single time someone has brought their procon to my workshop with a drift problem, i've just needed to open up, clean the sticks with a brush, close and test, and they've worked every single time.

Take care of your electronics.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, it is. Electronics require maintenance, and unlike the joycons, pro controllers are well known for their resilience.

Every single time someone has brought their procon to my workshop with a drift problem, i've just needed to open up, clean the sticks with a brush, close and test, and they've worked every single time.

Eh? The burden definitely isn't on the customer. People shouldn't have to repair their joycons after normal use. It's quite clear there's an inherent fault with them, reinforced by the fact that Nintendo offer free repairs in some regions.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY

How many times do I need to mention that I used these all of ... ten times? I bought two at launch, ended up not using them as expected.. only got them from storage recently where I noticed they had the same drift my og Switch joycons have.

How are we still blaming the user when it comes to Nintendo Switch stick drift?

I'm not mad that the hardware ended up being defective, shit happens. I had more and more modern controllers (Xbox, PS4, PS5, ...) break on me in various ways through normal use - way too soon.

The problem for me is when the issue is this severe and well documented, and Nintendo - charging an absolute premium - refuses to fix the issues and release a new revision. And continues to sell the broken hardware to new customers. That is what makes me so annoyed at them. Nintendo fucking sucks.

(I've actually never experienced joystick drift on any non-Nintendo controllers, I've had other issues though..)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Username checks out.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
but they can send their controllers in to fix for free. the whole process probably takes a week max (i've unfortunately had to send mine in twice)

One shouldn't have to do that if a company would just make a higher quality product.

yeah not sure why this problem is often painted as a nintendo exclusive problem, it happens with all of them.

It's definitely not a Nintendo problem, but we have enough evidence to think joycons have this happen at a much higher frequency than Sony or Microsoft's current controllers.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

It's funny how all the other controllers I've had, many far longer than my Switch controllers, never needed this maintenance.

Mar 11, 2020
Y'all do realize they were only replacing joycons outside of warranty in the US because of the lawsuit and complaints. If there were none that never would have started. And now it's prob gonna end.

Feb 9, 2024
Eh? The burden definitely isn't on the customer. People shouldn't have to repair their joycons after normal use. It's quite clear there's an inherent fault with them, reinforced by the fact that Nintendo offer free repairs in some regions.

My focus is on the pro controller, plus as its been already said in the thread, Nintendo is offering free oow repairs for drifting joycons.

And even so, it's our right to do whatever we want with our consoles. Isnt that the base of the console modding philosophy? Well, then open those little fuckers and throw some Hall Effect sticks in. I did exactly that with my OLED joycons.

How many times do I need to mention that I used these all of ... ten times? I bought two at launch, ended up not using them as expected.. only got them from storage recently where I noticed they had the same drift my og Switch joycons have.

How are we still blaming the user when it comes to Nintendo Switch stick drift?

Then either you are unlucky or your storage solution is less than ideal.

It's hard to blame Nintendo on the procons because they literally use the same ALPS sticks as everyone else.

Did you try recalibrating them? Do they drift the same on your Switch and Steam Deck?

It's funny how all the other controllers I've had, many far longer than my Switch controllers, never needed this maintenance.

Dude, i give this maintenance to every electronic in the house, im also literally paid to do so with everyone else's

I dont care about wich company's sticks worn out faster, if everyone can speak about their experience as if its the only thing that matters, then so do i.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I sent mine in to Nintendo for a free replacement and it was super painless. Wasn't't that offered across NA? Not sure about EU. Although it sucked at the time, they seemed to handle it fine from my experience. Why the lawsuit?

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Disappointing but unsurprising as Nintendo has always been very anti-consumer and would have fought this tooth and nail rather than actually trying to make good on their errors.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not painted as a Nintendo exclusive problem, I've got absolutely no clue how you came to that conclusion. Those times when Joy-Con have been singled out were because they're genuinely worse than any other primary controller on the market in this regard - but drift is a known issue that affects all platforms pretty egregiously and very few people pretend otherwise. Nobody claims it's a Nintendo-specific issue. Well, almost nobody, anyway.

The specific thumbsticks used across all primary controllers this gen are prone to drift, even when they're otherwise well taken care of. It's a known quantity, not really subject to debate. People should take care of their stuff, as it can and does help to prolong the lifespans of any input device - but you can take great care of a Pro Controller or a Dualsense or an Xbox controller, and still have it drift on you within a year or even months of opening the package. It drives me up the wall, and is basically responsible for my recent forays into controller modding.

That's just the luck of the draw. Joy-Con are annoying little shits and they go bad easy, but all of this gen's primary controllers are made with the same sticks and they're all as prone to drifting as one another. I've had 1 Pro Controller drift on me this generation. 3 Dualsense, and 2 Xbox controllers. And like 8 Joy Con lol

Last edited: