Nintendo Switch controller support added to Google Chrome

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that we are swiftly approaching a dramatic shift in how we can play the latest video games. This discovery comes less than a week prior to Google’s GDC keynote.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh.

How was the experience with AC? I wasn't able to get in on the beta... If anyone could nail a seamless streaming technology, it's them.

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn son!

Future of gaming looks bright as one time exclusively used products are becoming available on multiple platforms

Loving it! Hoping DualShock 4 is in the future

Oct 25, 2017
Google is probably adding all types of controllers. this probably required no involvement from Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
The implications are...actually I don’t know what the implications are.

Someone help me understand this.
The Project Stream beta worked directly through Google Chrome. This update suggests that the final service will too. That would mean you can play Assassin's Creed Odyssey on any device with the Chrome browser; which is pretty cool.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It could mean nothing, but Google and Nintendo always had a good relation and both have been playing around with streaming technology. I wouldn't be surprised if Google announced Switch support for their game streaming service.

Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, this isn't really like, anything honestly. It's just them adding some code to recognize the Switch controller's ID and map some buttons.
Yeah, some posters are jumping the gun here a bit. They're just supporting all third party controllers for Project Stream.

Danzflor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is just Google goofing up and trying to test some stuff, or to show the capabilities of his streaming service, I doubt anything is coming out of this. We'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The controller also has support on Steam if I'm not mistaken.

I do not think it means anything beyond "We want many controllers to work."

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Hopefully it can just tap into the OS drivers too.

And hopefully they don't add crap proprietary extensions to play in chrome.
I'm using firefox..

Oct 25, 2017
Damn son!

Future of gaming looks bright as one time exclusively used products are becoming available on multiple platforms

Loving it! Hoping DualShock 4 is in the future
Not quite as good as running it locally if you have a good rig obviously, but pretty damn good. Only negative was that it seemed to consume a pretty decent amount of data if you have caps (like me ;-;)

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not quite as good as running it locally if you have a good rig obviously, but pretty damn good. Only negative was that it seemed to consume a pretty decent amount of data if you have caps (like me ;-;)
Yeah I can imagine

Few years ago I would have noped out of this but with fiber and no cap , I am interested lol

Oct 27, 2017
Seems this is just support for the Gamepad API that Microsoft Edge and Firefox also support. So possibly doesn't mean anything too drastic.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Gamepad_API

The draft for the spec has an employee from Sony listed for example and dates back to 2015:

https://w3c.github.io/gamepad/
It does mean something drastic - it means Chromium supports a stable, proper implementation so it can be used as a front-end for Google's streaming service.