• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Google is probably adding all types of controllers. this probably required no involvement from Nintendo.

When Google offers better support for the consumer than Epic Games Store... 😂

It's a great move by Google in case people are reluctant to use Google's controller for their service.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It already supports the DualShock 4 and Xbox controller. This is simply also adding support for the Switch controller.
There's nothing simple about this. Chromium has explicit support for Hori, Logitech, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Mad Catz, etc. It's going to be their front-end for whatever kind of streaming service they'll announce.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
There's nothing simple about this. Chromium has explicit support for Hori, Logitech, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Mad Catz, etc. It's going to be their front-end for whatever kind of streaming service they'll announce.
The realistic expectation based on what we know is that this is just another controller supported for their Project Stream.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The realistic expectation based on what we know is that this is just another controller supported for their Project Stream.
Well exactly, that's what I'm saying. It's not trivial to add support for Switch controllers like the Joy-Cons. If there wasn't any further motive (i.e. the game streaming service) they really wouldn't have added it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, makes sense. Hopefully they add native support for the DK bongos soon too

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Well exactly, that's what I'm saying. It's not trivial to add support for Switch controllers like the Joy-Cons. If there wasn't any further motive (i.e. the game streaming service) they really wouldn't have added it.
Precisely. By simple I was just trying to temper expectations before wild theories about Nintendo teaming up with Google to build their hardware or something along those lines began gaining ground.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think this Google device will compete more directly with windows based.gaming rigs than consoles.

Controller support seems to.suggest this. Like steam it's going to support a bunch of controller and the device itself is just a streaming box.

It means gaming on a Chromebook will also be possible. And their focus now is to popularize a box to attach to television sets where Chromecast sort of lives.right now

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this Google device will compete more directly with windows based.gaming rigs than consoles.

Controller support seems to.suggest this. Like steam it's going to support a bunch of controller and the device itself is just a streaming box.

It means gaming on a Chromebook will also be possible. And their focus now is to popularize a box to attach to television sets where Chromecast sort of lives.right now
If it has exclusives then I think it will be competition for consoles and PC
If it only plays multiplatform games then it will direct competition to only the PC

That's how I see it

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is going to be great.

It's about time companies have gotten a reason to shake things up.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If it has exclusives then I think it will be competition for consoles and PC
If it only plays multiplatform games then it will direct competition to only the PC

That's how I see it
We'll see
But I don't see it in their DNA for exclusives. This feels like a response to Microsoft pushing Xbox.games on windows

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Probably just controller compatibility like Steam.

Though it could be Super Mario Run 2 Returns times exclusive for Chrome.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Project Stream it shall be!

I have a solid 300+mbps connection. Don't expect much issues. Bring it!

Definitely if anyone could do streaming it would be Google with the vast amount of servers.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised that people think this means nothing, considering how rarely Nintendo controllers get official support on anything besides Nintendo platforms.

My thinking is that we may see Project Stream in some form on the Switch even before Project xCloud, just since Google seems further along in being ready to roll out their their service. I assume if their service will be working through Chrome and has the potential to be on any device that could run the browser, they have a similar goal to Microsoft of being on every platform, including all the consoles.