• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PGamer

Nov 28, 2017

We hope everyone had an enjoyable and relaxing summer. While you may have noticed a bit of a lull during August, make no mistake that our team was still hard at work! Behind the scenes, our GPU team has been investing a ton of time and talent into bringing about this patreon releases' biggest feature: Resolution Rescaler!

As you might expect from the name, this feature increases native resolution through a set of rules enforced by a profile, very similar to other emulators such as Cemu. You can select Profile Scanner (Native) option in the Internal Resolution drop-down list.

Preview images:

smm2-2.jpg
ssbu-2.jpg
smo-1.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Replaying Odyssey, Xenoblade, Yoshi etc woukd be nice...Games that look stunning that are held back a little bit by their resolution.

Can't wait!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wonder why it's always Nintendo consoles that get emulated so easily. Still, good to see progress.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
That doesn't quite make any sense.

If the WiiU emulator has had such a huge demand, why did the console flop? Meanwhile, the current best selling console PS4 has no progress at all in the emulation scene.
Most of the ps4 games are available on pc. Same reason why xbox emulation took so long to be developed.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's something really funky about the image quality of SMM2 and Odyssey while Smash looks razor sharp. Is the in-game AA still at play or something?

Also: Xenoblade 2 replay in 4k... Good lord those screenshots will be so amazing!

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
There's something really funky about the image quality of SMM2 and Odyssey while Smash looks razor sharp. Is the in-game AA still at play or something?

Also: Xenoblade 2 replay in 4k... Good lord those screenshots will be so amazing!
Yep they say in the blog post that BOTW and Odyssey have a hard coded AA solution that they can't get rid of

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't quite make any sense.

If the WiiU emulator has had such a huge demand, why did the console flop? Meanwhile, the current best selling console PS4 has no progress at all in the emulation scene.

Expensive hardware and software which rarely go on sale is the reason why there is a bigger demand for emulators of Nintendo consoles.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder why it's always Nintendo consoles that get emulated so easily. Still, good to see progress.
Kinda depends on the console for the reasoning.

In the Switch's case, it's an off-the-shelf Tegra X1 and the OS got hacked near-immediately.

With the Wii U, bear in mind emulation only really started popping off near the end of its lifespan, and the biggest emulator (Cemu) is Patreon funded and makes sweet bank of it, meaning the devs are working on it full time. (It's also been dogged by long standing rumours that it's built off stolen Wii U documents, though I don't totally buy it.)

For GameCube/Wii, PCSX2, the big PS2 emulator, actually came out before Dolphin, and Dolphin languished for years in "SMS sorta boots" mode before it went open source and picked up real momentum. It's also a much much better managed project than PCSX2 is, so there's that.

Also, bear in mind that it's not always true - N64 and DS emulation are still both in notoriously dire straits. (though the MelonDS emulator is promising)

Last edited:

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Switch games don't need increased resolution- they all desperately need a good implementation of anti-aliasing.

Most Switch games make my eyes bleed with all those horrible jagged edges. It's really unacceptable in 2019.

Sep 25, 2018

its not that get done easily it's just that secretly everyone wants to play Nintendo games they just don't want to buy the system

i remember 2 years or 1 year ago people put up money to hack it, no one puts this effort for the other systems

shows how much people value Nintendo games

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea Switch emulation was already this far along. Very cool.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The same is true for Switch(and some that aren't are also emulated on WiiU).

Not with Nintendo's larger number of exclusives.

Nintendo has Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Metriod, Super Smash Bros, Xenoblade 2, soon to be Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2, soon to be Bayonetta 3, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem,

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Relatively less compute needed, and the majority of AAA 3rd party releases are on PC. Emulating Naughty dog would be a nightmare, they optimize so specific to hardware and you need a lot more compute than what you're emulating.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Dolphin saved XBC from the Wii's hardware, and now yuzu will save the Definitive Edition from the Switch's.

Thank god, lol

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
User warned: thread derail
Honest question: how are emulator threads allowed when general piracy ones aren't? I guess you can lie to yourself and say everyone using it is playing a backup of a legal copy they own....but c'mon. No one's that naive.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question: how are emulator threads allowed when general piracy ones aren't? I guess you can lie to yourself and say everyone using it is playing a backup of a legal copy they own....but c'mon. No one's that naive.
Same reason we can discuss Game of Thones but not speak about where to pirate the episodes.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
its not that get done easily it's just that secretly everyone wants to play Nintendo games they just don't want to buy the system

i remember 2 years or 1 year ago people put up money to hack it, no one puts this effort for the other systems

shows how much people value Nintendo games

Yup I agree. I have heard people saying numerous times that they are not going to buy a Switch for just one or two games. Nintendo's first party output usually consists of different genres so chances are high that you are only going to like a few titles if you are just into one specific genre.
It's basically a combination of high acquisition costs of Nintendo hardware/software and the desire to play high quality Nintendo software.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see this moving relatively quickly. Nintendo games really lend themselves well to higher resolutions. I'll definitely be holding on to my old Switch model to eventually make use of this.