• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Hey, what do you know, the first Nintendo Switch Firmware update in months (literally).

This is THE big one ;)

Improvements Included in Version 5.0.0 (Distributed 03/12/2018)
Added the following system functionality

• Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
    • Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
    • To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
    • You must be 13 or older to use this feature
  • Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
  • Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
  • To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
    • When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
  • Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
  • Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console's Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
    • Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
  • Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
  • Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/p/897

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Changes:

Improvements Included in Version 5.0.0 (Distributed 03/12/2018)
Added the following system functionality

• Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
    • Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
    • To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
    • You must be 13 or older to use this feature
  • Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
  • Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
  • To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
    • When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
  • Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
  • Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console's Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
    • Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
  • Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
  • Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu

General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...endo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like a huge update, wonder why they called it 5.0

Can't wait to see new avatars though!

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are icons part of the firmware and not separate/downloadable? Strange design choice.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy social media just what we needed on the Switch.

King Onion

Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna make a snarky comment about cloud saves or communication with friends, but ehhhh. New Kirby icons is cool, maybe they will start adding more when a series has a game launching?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So they still haven't made parental controls useful? Bleh. I got a bit excited when I saw mention of changes in the app.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Like I guessed, it's a whole load of nothing. People got excited over nothing. Cool to have new avatars, though.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing worthwhile for me in this update, Switch OS keeps on being disappointing.
Is it required for online MP?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
These features really don't merit an entire version number change. They're really making you Switch folk wait for requested features, huh?

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really wish they would separate screenshots by username, or at least mark the screenshots with who took it.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Oh, yeah, I didn't pay attention to the other thread. Got it now.

New icons is nice, but this is definitely rather minor.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
AYYYYYY, ARMS AVATARS!!!!!

Kirby as well. I'm glad that Nintendo's branching out to non-EPD franchises. Hopefully Fire Emblem & Pokémon are next.

Oct 25, 2017
All that.... for grip colors and twitter/FB friend sugggestions. Grip color displays in control menu is actually a feature... I'm ..

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least now I can be represented by the robot boys in blue, how long until I can have Poppi as my icon...

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This update gives me very little faith that the release of their online system will accompany a massive UI rehaul.

Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling that we aren't going to see a meaningful update to the Switch at this point until the online service launches in September. Hopefully I'm wrong.