• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hi all!
Many of you don't know yet that Nintendo now allows "game sharing" on the Nintendo Switch, and those of you that do know are not sure of the conditions it carries.
So in this guide I will explain in detail how does game sharing work, and some scenarios where you can see what would happen if...
Note: this is strictly for digital games, physical games can be shared without any restriction.

This is the main source I will use: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22448, but I will provide personal experience on how to do it.

First of all, you need to understand this:
You can only have one console at a time activated as the primary console of an account.
What does this mean? A primary console can play all its games without any restrictions, such as time limit and being connected.
You can deactivate a console as your primary one and make another console your primary one, and this is a simple process.
Just enter the eShop with your desired account, then go to your profile (clicking your avatar) and search for the option to deactivate the primary console, when you do the next console you use to enter the eShop will be set as your primary console.
You can also do this online once a year, just enter https://ec.nintendo.com/my/#/ and click the Delete primary console option.

Let's now start with the guide on how to share:

1. Understanding game sharing:
Let's get this out of the way first. This solution is not really for game sharing (though it is a side effect), but to allow you to play your purchased games in another console without having to deactivate your primary one.
What will you use this for is your own decision.

2. Login on another console with your account
Make a new user on the console you wish to use your games on, and then link your Nintendo account to it. Now that console is a secondary console to your account.

3. Download games
That's it! You can now download whatever you want from that profile, even DLC (though it is usable only in that account).
Keep in mind a primary console can use DLC bought on whatever account on any account the Switch has (registered as primary).

Now, let's talk about restrictions put in place for secondary consoles:
1. You need to do an online check-in every 3 hours of use
Before starting the game you need to connect to the Internet to launch it, and then you can go offline. But you need to connect again every 3 hours (further testing needed to see if the 3-hour period continues even in sleep mode)

2. Only one person can play the game using the same account
Let's say I have my account MrCafecito and I lend it to my brother.
He can play my games on my account just fine, but if I start up a game (any game, not just the game he is playing) his Switch will automatically suspend (not close) the game he is playing. There is a workaround for this, either console just has to disable WiFi and now both can play the game at the same time.

3. Games can only be played on that account
My brother can't use his own account to play the games I bought with my account if his console is secondary, but there is a workaround you can use.
My brother has to make HIS console my account's primary console, and I have to make MY console his account's primary console. Doing this will allow you to play each other's games on your own accounts (and therefore you can back up your game saves on the cloud with your own account)

Now that everything is explained, I prepared a FAQ:

Do I need to purchase Nintendo Switch Online to do this?
No, this system has nothing to do with Online, it is a feature of Switch OS 6.0, so to do this you just have to make sure you're in 6.0

Can I play online using shared games?
Yes, as long as the main account is not playing anything else. You can circumvent this by using the two-account method I explained in point 3 of Restrictions

Can I play local wireless multiplayer using shared games?
I haven't extensively tested this, but the current answer is no. I (and someone else) tried to play Toad's Rec Room in Super Mario Party locally with my brother and it kept on displaying communication errors. If someone is able to do it, please let me know!

Any other questions? Feel free to ask in the comments!

Last edited:

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Will we be able to play different (non-cloud saved) saves on, for example, Pokemon Let's Go in different Switches sharing one account?

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but your recommendation in 3 is absolutely ludicrous. Making someone else's console primary for your account completely removes your ability to play without Internet. Your Switch is a portable device you take on airplanes, road trips, and up to the mountains.

Instead, keep your console as your primary for your account you purchase all your games with. Create a 2nd user account on your machine that you use for playing all your games and keeping all your saves on. Your account for sharing games is now free for others to use as long as THEY have Internet. You retain your ability to play all your games whenever, and wherever you want.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Instead, keep your console as your primary for your account you purchase all your games with. Create a 2nd user account on your machine that you use for playing all your games and keeping all your saves on. Your account for sharing games is now free for others to use as long as THEY have Internet.
Note that only one person can use the "shared account" in that case. If you've got two kids and two Switches, they can't both be playing at the same time.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Another option for playing games at the same time (and what I do):
Use a seperate account for buying games. I already have a US account I use to buy games, and I always play them using my NZ account.
I share that account with my Wife's switch, and she plays them on the US account.

So we are using 2 different accounts to play the same game (On the primary console, you can use any account)
And as long as you're in wifi you can play forever (or just check in every 3 hours)

Note that only one person can use the "shared account" in that case. If you've got two kids and two Switches, they can't both be playing at the same time.
If you do the above you absolutely can

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry, but your recommendation in 3 is absolutely ludicrous. Making someone else's console primary for your account completely removes your ability to play without Internet. Your Switch is a portable device you take on airplanes, road trips, and up to the mountains.

Instead, keep your console as your primary for your account you purchase all your games with. Create a 2nd user account on your machine that you use for playing all your games and keeping all your saves on. Your account for sharing games is now free for others to use as long as THEY have Internet. You retain your ability to play all your games whenever, and wherever you want.
That's the same thing though either way someone has to be connected to the internet.

Edit: This setup is basically the way Sony has it but with PlayStation both consoles can play at the same time.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
That's the same thing though either way someone has to be connected to the internet.

The person who buys/owns the games should not be the one with the Internet requirement. If it's a parent/kids arrangement, do what's best for your situation. But if you're giving your account to friends outside the house, it's crazy to make their console primary and lock your Switch down with Internet requirements.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Note it only needs to connect to the internet for a second for the every 3 hour check-in. So if you've got a phone with hotspot, just connect that for a second and you'll be good to go for another 3 hours.

I'm hardly offline anyways, so my brother and I traded primary accs so we could play each other's games on our own accs. Works great.

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
Note it only needs to connect to the internet for a second for the every 3 hour check-in. So if you've got a phone with hotspot, just connect that for a second and you'll be good to go for another 3 hours.

I'm hardly offline anyways, so my brother and I traded primary accs so we could play each other's games on our own accs. Works great.

It does a check every time you launch a game as well.

I game share with my brother who lives in a different state. He has permanent access to my games when he has Internet, and we can play the same together at the same time. I also never have to use a hotspot or have Internet to play my games.

There's 2 types of game sharers: those that are fine having an Internet check to play their own games; and those like me who prefer their friends/siblings having to do an Internet check to play games that have been shared with them.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
The easiest and safest way has to be to use two accounts on your own Switch: One account (A) you use to purchase games with, one account (B) you use to play your games with. You link both accounts as primary on your Switch. You can then hand out your A account login to your friend or family member without issues. The account is still primary on your Switch, meaning you will always be able to play the games offline, but also meaning you can't be screwed out of your account after some feud or something.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It does a check every time you launch a game as well.

I game share with my brother who lives in a different state. He has permanent access to my games when he has Internet, and we can play the same together at the same time. I also never have to use a hotspot or have Internet to play my games.

There's 2 types of game sharers: those that are fine having an Internet check to play their own games; and those like me who prefer their friends/siblings having to do an Internet check to play games that have been shared with them.
Ah yes, wasn't thinking about launching the game too. I'd do what you said, but I don't like having to use my brothers profile to play his games (same goes for him). Also, how can you play at the same time if you're both using the same profile? Do you go offline or something so he can play? I'm probably misunderstanding you or something lol.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The easiest and safest way has to be to use two accounts on your own Switch: One account (A) you use to purchase games with, one account (B) you use to play your games with. You link both accounts as primary on your Switch. You can then hand out your A account login to your friend or family member without issues. The account is still primary on your Switch, meaning you will always be able to play the games offline, but also meaning you can't be screwed out of your account after some feud or something.
Yep. Thats what I said. :)
We've just bought a 4th switch (so every family member has one) and we plan to buy pokemon twice and then all four can play it :)

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
Ah yes, wasn't thinking about launching the game too. I'd do what you said, but I don't like having to use my brothers profile to play his games (same goes for him). Also, how can you play at the same time if you're both using the same profile? Do you go offline or something so he can play? I'm probably misunderstanding you or something lol.
Nope, you would use different profiles, see ozfunghi's example, account B for you, account A for your brother. Your brother has to create two accounts too: brotherA (for buying games and sharing) and brotherB (for playing his games).

Anyway, the method you're using now is OK if you don't want to create extra accounts and have no problem with having to check online.

Last edited:

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping this but for people using it - this sharing method is like on PS4, correct?

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for bumping this but for people using it - this sharing method is like on PS4, correct?
I'm not sure how PS4 works but I've read multiple people say it works just like that but with more offline time.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Buzzard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Hello,

I have a friend who just bought a Switch and I want to share my library with him.

I want to keep using my original and only user without restrictions (I have important save data there and I don't want to start all over again, creating a new user for me would force me to do that).

In that case do I just link my existing user to his Switch, then create another user for him to play and that's it?

Thanks

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Hello,

I have a friend who just bought a Switch and I want to share my library with him.

I want to keep using my original and only user without restrictions (I have important save data there and I don't want to start all over again, creating a new user for me would force me to do that).

In that case do I just link my existing user to his Switch, then create another user for him to play and that's it?

Thanks
If you just link your user to his Switch, only your account can play your games on his Switch.

You need to set his system as your account's primary system and set your system as a secondary system (that requires online check-ins) for your friend to play your games on his system.

Buzzard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If you just link your user to his Switch, only your account can play your games on his Switch.

You need to set his system as your account's primary system and set your system as a secondary system (that requires online check-ins) for your friend to play your games on his system.

Thanks!

And in that case, if he is using any game at the same time as me, then I wouldn't be able to play any software on my end? or is it just that particular game?

Thanks again.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
His Switch (setted as your account primary system) can play your games any time, with any user, both online and offline.
Your Switch (setted as your account secondary system) can play your games only with a user linked to your account, and only if it's online (with a grace period of 3 hours if you go offline).
Both of you can play the same game at the same time.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
What if you own the cartridge for the game and let your friend borrow it? Can they play it or is the cartridge somehow linked to my console?

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answer! Looks like that's how my wife and I will share games going forward, as I still can't wrap my head around the digital method

Oct 26, 2017
After some time with this, I get really frustrated with the online check. There hasn't been any recent changes that could allow my daughter to play my purchased games on my (now secondary) system is there?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
After some time with this, I get really frustrated with the online check. There hasn't been any recent changes that could allow my daughter to play my purchased games on my (now secondary) system is there?
No. That's how it works on every console and will never change, is a basic measure to prevent abusing the system.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Outside of putting your account as primary on her Switch, then yours been always online to play. Can't play on two units while offline at the same time.

Oct 26, 2017
I was just venting because there are spots in my house where the WiFi signal is loose and the switch won't boot the game . Likewise if I take mine out and about and want to play, I'm hosed if there isn't a WiFi spot to connect to.

It's funny because if anything, my Switch is the one that leaves the house while hers doesn't.

Hmmm, maybe I just transfer my save data to hers and use her switch ? But then she can't use her user on the secondary.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was just venting because there are spots in my house where the WiFi signal is loose and the switch won't boot the game . Likewise if I take mine out and about and want to play, I'm hosed if there isn't a WiFi spot to connect to.

It's funny because if anything, my Switch is the one that leaves the house while hers doesn't.

Hmmm, maybe I just transfer my save data to hers and use her switch ? But then she can't use her user on the secondary.
Once you boot up a game, you have a grace period of 3 hours until you have to connect again, you don't need constant connection.
Also, I'm not understanding the situation with you and your daughter, could you elaborate?

Oct 26, 2017
Once you boot up a game, you have a grace period of 3 hours until you have to connect again, you don't need constant connection.
Also, I'm not understanding the situation with you and your daughter, could you elaborate?

Got it.

As to your question: My switch is now secondary while hers is set as my primary so she can play my games under her own account. My switch is the one that needs online check.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Got it.

As to your question: My switch is now secondary while hers is set as my primary so she can play my games under her own account. My switch is the one that needs online check.
If she's using her account to play games bought on your console then yeah the way you have it set up is correct. Btw comnecting to your cellphone's hotspot just for booting the game works.
Activate hotspot, boot game, deactivate hotspot. Repeat in 3 hours

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you should clarify that this is only for downloadable games. With physical games you can swap back and forth, and even access the same cloud saves, without any of these restrictions.

Will we be able to play different (non-cloud saved) saves on, for example, Pokemon Let's Go in different Switches sharing one account?
Yes. In this case you should disable cloud saves on a game-by-game basis, so you don't need to worry about one console wiping the other's save.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
A great side effect of setting someone elses switch as your primary switch is you can both play your purchased games even at the same time, you just need to be online on your own switch (or check in every three hours).

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I sort of understand how to do this, still have some dobuts, but my question is in regards to: is it possible to do this with more than 2 switches?

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I figured it's okay bumping this thread in light of the recent influx of misinformation about game sharing. The method works just as it did since last year, so there's no need for a new thread

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm sharing my library with my friends who are married.

I decided to make their console primary, because this way they can play with separate profiles and I don't mind the check at all. If I ever plan to take Switch some place without wi-fi, I will just swap the primary status to my console for the duration of that trip or excursion.

We can also play with each opther online as long as they use a different account.

FadedMFC

Oct 3, 2019
Can anyone offer an answer for this situation please.

I've just bought a second Switch as the kids have taken control of mine. I want to make my new one my primary account so that I don't get prompted for a connection every time I launch a game.
They have their own account on the original switch and I'll leave mine on there as a secondary.

They have a save game on Zelda on their profile that has the DLC content which was purchased on my account. What will happen to their save now? Will they not be able to access it anymore?

Also, can I even purchase the DLC again on the new Switch considering my account has already purchased it?

Thanks.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Another option for playing games at the same time (and what I do):
Use a seperate account for buying games. I already have a US account I use to buy games, and I always play them using my NZ account.
I share that account with my Wife's switch, and she plays them on the US account.

So we are using 2 different accounts to play the same game (On the primary console, you can use any account)
And as long as you're in wifi you can play forever (or just check in every 3 hours)

If you do the above you absolutely can

You probably have to buy the Nintendo Switch Online on the NZ account if you want to play online, or having a family sub.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
With the exception of airplane I use my phone for mobile hotspot everywhere I am for the online check. The benefits far outshine the cons.

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Just had to deal with all this mess this weekend after getting my daughter a switch lite. Kind of inconvenient that I had to make her switch the primary and I have to check in all the time.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I feel sad that this is the only way to share a game around a family, digitally. I wish you could all experience it as long as you were on the same network. However, I expect someone would exploit that with VPN or something.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This thread helped convince me not to get a second Switch for the house after all.

Sad that Nintendo makes it so unappealing to have multiple Switch consoles shared in a household but honestly, I'd rather they update the console user interface, overhaul the store and improve online before addressing this.

Love them but some of their policies are still so antiquated

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This thread helped convince me not to get a second Switch for the house after all.

Sad that Nintendo makes it so unappealing to have multiple Switch consoles shared in a household but honestly, I'd rather they update the console user interface, overhaul the store and improve online before addressing this.

Love them but some of their policies are still so antiquated
This is not really a method to share games, it's only for you to be able to use your own games on another console.
In any case with 2 switches people can even play online together in their own console, with one you just simply can't

DarkJedi78

Oct 25, 2017
OH
Well this just got worse. I was fine with my OG switch being a secondary and the online check, but with the Online service down, I'm stuck in a game with no way to save or exit till the Nintendo online comes back online. Super frustrating!! I forgot to mention its a cartridge game, which I thought didn't need to be validated.

OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well this just got worse. I was fine with my OG switch being a secondary and the online check, but with the Online service down, I'm stuck in a game with no way to save or exit till the Nintendo online comes back online. Super frustrating!! I forgot to mention its a cartridge game, which I thought didn't need to be validated.
Huh, that's weird, it shouldn't have to check when using cart games