• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https:///japans-nintendo-switch-game-shortage-become-much-serious/

Japanese video game retailer GEO, which has 1200 outlets nationwide, says Nintendo has completely ran out of certain first party software titles (Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, and a couple more) across all of its distribution centers in Japan. Retailers aren't able to order any stock as Nintendo doesn't have them on hand.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Sore ha pathetic desu.

But at least it's back to MSRP on Amazon and not like ¥42000 again.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't this affect all games and not just first-party? Nintendo prints them all don't they?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Artificial scarcity reaching software too. You know Nintendo has a winner when it goes this far. /s

I can't believe even Nintendo ran out of stock though...

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it that attach rates just far exceeded expectations, or did they just bungle the manufacturing?

shin_yf

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Switch sales leap (by a lot..) in last 2 months? It is kinda crazy that Nintendo is raining out of physical stocks...

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 I walked into the largest electronics retailer in Akihabara and got the Super Mario Odyssey bundle without pre order.

• Launch day
  • Akihabara
  • No pre order
  • Limited edition Mario Switch bundle
I have seen mega lines for the console and I got photos but I don't think it's that bad considering how I managed to get one from what should have been a sold out location.

P.s. I saw all these games instock yesterday at Akihabara also.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well thankfully all games are also available digitally now ... though for Japan and it's used game market i can see how that's not a good alternative.

I wonder if this was due to Nintendo being conservative with production, more physical software distribution for the western regions or completely unusual over-the-top demand.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They sold much better than expected during holidays. This created shortages. Curiously, stock issues were also for less popular and niche games.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, just take some shipments away from Europe away. Lord were not that big fans of you anyway! I see stores with of units!

Edit: oh games, yeah even those are flooding the stores, so you can have those too. Especially Skyrim!

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have noticed most big games shops in the UK are out of stock for a lot of games, or at least have none in store and have to be ordered instead.

Was looking to get Mario but nowhere had it Nd ended up getting zelda from an independent store since they were the only place that had it. Except for CEX but they have upped the price of pre owned versions to £52 which is ridiculous.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I finally decided after finally seeing them online for sale at a major retailer to buy a Switch this week, and I was worried about the game shortage situation. Thankfully in my area of Japan the games are for the most part in stock and I was able to get what I wanted this week with no issues. But ordering online at many places, especially amazon, is a pain. Thankfully the alternatives are there if people look.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Day 1 I walked into the largest electronics retailer in Akihabara and got the Super Mario Odyssey bundle without pre order.

• Launch day
  • Akihabara
  • No pre order
I have seen mega lines for the console and I got photos but I don't think it's that bad considering how I managed to get one from what should have been a sold out location.

The Mario bundle wasn't a "limited edition". It was sold for many weeks and accounted for a good chunk of Switch sales during those weeks.

Also, big cities and big chains typically receive more stock.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
did the 3DS ever run into this kind of cart shortage? what's up with Switch carts being that harder to make?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

• Launch day
  • Akihabara
  • No pre order

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, just take some shipments away from Europe away. Lord were not that big fans of you anyway! I see stores with of units!

Edit: oh games, yeah even those are flooding the stores, so you can have those too. Especially Skyrim!

Given the wastelands that are some European Amazons (Spain, France ...) regarding software (Xenoblade, Just Dance...), I don't think that Europe is not facing some troubles too.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

Pretty sure they don't send shipments to europe very often outside the big sellers.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering over 500k software was sold last week with less than 200k hardware(and lifetime hardware only being 3.5m) I'm guessing software is way over expectations.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how bad the situation is in Europe, but in Italy there are games impossibile to find on the shelves, ex Xenoblade 2 or Doom, Skyrim is rare, others like 12switch are common.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how in SEA Indonesia we are also facing the same no stock problem....i feel u Japan gamers hiks.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
From consoles out of stock, to games out of stock.

Switch's popularity is unstoppable.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
This will particularly hurts xenoblade since by the time it is back in stock there will be a lot of pre-owned copy.