• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
According to the Nintendo eShop, in the Americas (you can check for yourself by searching for all titles) Nintendo Switch now has 2105 titles / apps available and 1239 DLCs. This is specially surprising because they reached 1000 titles less than 6 months ago.

However I think the amount of shovelware in the eShop is becoming a real problem. Just look at these gems:

rElsXs0.jpg

vbma7r5.jpg

FXIrdJh.jpg

And my absolute favorite:

JUrTQeO.jpg

So congrats I guess. Switch is getting many games we all love, but the shovelware problem is reaching the tolerable limits.

Also please share more shovelware, it's funny seeing weird stuff on the eShop.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a decent amount of shovelware on the system, but it's not really a problem. I have absolutely zero issues finding great games to play on the eShop each week.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While there is a lot of shovelware there are plenty of interesting games too. Enough that I hit the 200 item limit on the watchlist a few days ago. (should be much higher limit by the way).

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
How long until someone ports a spreadsheet editor to the Switch and calls it a game? I mean a literal spreadsheet editor, like OpenOffice or something. No, I've no idea how you would do saving and printing things. :P

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c
I find the people are much too quick to label things shovelwhere. Like I'm pretty sure the third game you listed is just picross.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ITT We yet again pretend that shovelware is more prevalent than it is, label any games we don't like shovelware and also pretend it's something unique to the Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing really. But that title lol. Sounds like the typical scam / virus game.
It's from Success, who's been making games since 1990 and finally just returned to consoles with Switch (and a lesser extent PS4/XB1) after sitting about a decade out. They're pretty obscure but maybe you know Cotton, Psyvariar, Zoo Keeper, Izuna or Touch Detective?

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile Sony has plenty of themes every week.
Can Sony beat Nintendo in the race to crash their store?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really. But that title lol. Sounds like the typical scam / virus game.

It's from Success, who's been making games since the 1990 and finally just returned to consoles with Switch (and a lesser extent PS4/XB1) after sitting about a decade out. They're pretty obscure but maybe you know Cotton, Psyvariar, Zoo Keeper, Izuna or Touch Detective?

And Success just published Umihara Kawase Fresh! which had a retail release in Japan and Nicalis will be publishing in the west:
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000011861

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, but the eShop in general is such a cumbersome mess that was not really made to have so many games. They really need to improve it so that you can more easily find interesting ways.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that Japanese women jigsaw one is amazing.

Somehow these sort of lame puzzle games don't annoy me anywhere near as much as the more 'video gamey' shovelware games. If I have to ever see Astro Bears or Coffin Dodgers on an eShop sale every again i feel like i'm gonna explode.

They're pretty obscure but maybe you know Cotton, Psyvariar, Zoo Keeper, Izuna or Touch Detective?

It's like a list of my favourite games of all time!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And this is just a couple of weeks before Resident Evil 0 releases for the low, low price of £29.99. Shovleware + a premium price!

/s.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I personally find the extremely low-quality games and, what some might call, shovelware to be a problem. Browsing is a lot more tedious than it should be, and I have to sift through games (and non-games) I would never buy to find the good stuff. It might be okay if the layout was better, but as it is, there are gems that some will never find just by browsing.

Edit: Not to mention, a game that's good might blend in with the low-quality stuff at first glance, and I could miss out on something awesome!

Last edited:

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I own 105 great games on my Switch. I'm pretty sure that's already more than any other console I've ever had.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've pretty much always got something to play these days. Switch takes up all my gaming time.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate browsing the eShop. Especially if I haven't checked up on it in a few weeks. Whatever released in the meantime is lost until a sale, eShop highlights, or a mention in the eShop thread.

Developers realize this and put their games on 99% discount for a week to get it to pop up in the sales tab. Then it ends up in the top sellers tab after the sale runs out to get you to think it's popular for other reasons than having been cheap af. Or you have those games that are perpetually on sale.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I really hate browsing the eShop. Especially if I haven't checked up on it in a few weeks. Whatever released in the meantime is lost until a sale or a mention in the eShop thread.
Truthfully be told, you're supposed to browse the News section, not the eShop.

Each week (or each day, depending on certain events), the News section is filled with new game announcements. Once you finish browsing the News section, you can click on the link to the eShop from the News section to jump straight to the store page of the games you wish to purchase.

The Nintendo eShop is not built like Xbox Marketplace and PS Store, where all the new announcements and storefront are combined together.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Each week (or each day, depending on certain events), the News section is filled with new game announcements. Once you finish browsing the News section, you can click on the link to the eShop from the News section to jump straight to the store page of the games you wish to purchase.

The Nintendo eShop is not built like Xbox Marketplace and PS Store, where all the new announcements and storefront are combined together.

This.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I'd love to browse the news section if only I could disable 2 out of the 3 regional news feeds I'm subbed to. I've got an account for the NA and JP shop in addition to my default EU one and it's just too much stuff/duplicates to make sense of. Jumping in and out of the eShop from the news feed is also not a great experience tbh (in part because of the multi-region thing -- gotta read the fine print or you open the wrong eShop region). I'd prefer it if it was integrated into the eShop or something.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having tons of shovelware is always unfortunate, but i prefer this over nintendo telling no to anyone they don't want. their current policy leads to everything getting on the store but eh, who am i to say some developer shouldn't make money off of what they make. the opposite of nintendo hand selecting what should be allowed would eventually lead to something actually good being rejected as well, as we can see happening sometimes on GOG.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
having tons of shovelware is always unfortunate, but i prefer this over nintendo telling no to anyone they don't want. their current policy leads to everything getting on the store but eh, who am i to say some developer shouldn't make money off of what they make. the opposite of nintendo hand selecting what should be allowed would eventually lead to something actually good being rejected as well, as we can see happening sometimes on GOG.

As happened with the Switch in 2017 and people endlessly whined about it especially when it happened to developers who post on GAF/ERA.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As happened with the Switch in 2017 and people endlessly whined about it especially when it happened to developers who post on GAF/ERA.
yeah the people who whine about the shovelware will probably also say "fuck nintendo" when they hear news of some game getting rejected. you can't have it both ways, and i think i'm more OK with the way that doesn't lead to some deserving game getting rejected.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Visibility's certainly becoming a problem, but the vast amount of titles is good news too. I already own more Switch games than I do on my PS4 in half the time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo foregoing content approval (other than ratings boards) is the way to go. When 1st parties start meddling in that sphere is when it tends to go off the rails and we get things like Nintendo's 80s heavy censorship or Sony's 90s anti-2D policy. You can curate your shop without rejecting releases, which is what Nintendo could be doing a bit better on but generally they do okay between the spotlight and top sales categories on the eShop giving you a good number of worthwhile releases.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Basically, curation is nice until it isn't.

I don't think anyone likes to sift through a metric ton of garbage but platform holders having more power than they already have isn't necessarily a great thing. Especially because rejecting games based on some subjective metric of "quality" only ever affects the small devs and never the big publishers. Does anyone really think that shit like Rogue Warrior would be rejected by any of the platform holders? Of course not.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I remember that thread. People were furious that Nintendo was slow getting dev kits out and being preferential with devs who has games on their previous stores. Now the doors are open for games this is the problem.

Is is just because it's Nintendo?

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I just mentally filter out anything that costs less than about £8, that cuts out a lot of the garbage. Doesn't stop those games cluttering up the sale section forever of course but that's another issue.