• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You probably can't answer this but earlier this year several people "in the know" claimed that Nintendo has multiple games in store that would have been ready to be shown at E3, in directs etc. but weren't for whatever reason. Do you think that this is still accurate?

Oh yeah, definitely. Nintendo likes to spread out their announcements. They don't care about 'winning E3'.

Example: Everyone complained about Nintendo's E3 Direct. Three months later, in a September Direct, Nintendo announces Towns, New Super Mario Bros U, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be another Year of Nintendo. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, possibly Bayonetta and Metroid too. Can't wait! :D

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bet 100$ there's no way Metroid prime 4 is a 2019 release.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Ten predictions for 2019

• New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe will bomb commercially, failing to sell million units.
  • Animal Crossing will be the best rated series game in metacritic, hitting 90 finally.
  • Pikmin 4 is going to be canceled officially.
  • Platinum will reveal exclusive new IP for Switch.
  • Pokemon 8 gen will be the fastest selling video game in history.
  • Luigis Mansion 3 will be postponed to 2020.
  • Daemon X Machina is a sleeper hit, selling over 2 million copies.
  • Retro silence continues and it is downgraded into NST -type assist studio.
  • Mario vs Sonic makes glorious comeback with Mario & Sonic in Tokyo 2020, announced at E3.
  • Super Monkey Ball will make glorious return on Switch. At least 2 more dormant franchises are announced to be revived on the system.
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2 is announced, with playable Peach and Tiara.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, definitely. Nintendo likes to spread out their announcements. They don't care about 'winning E3'.

Example: Everyone complained about Nintendo's E3 Direct. Three months later, in a September Direct, Nintendo announces Towns, New Super Mario Bros U, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Animal Crossing.

Yeah, I was wondering if people were aware of some of these games that were announced at the September Direct. There were rumours about NSMBU but the others surprised me.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Prime Trilogy+4 release next year. Also hoping for a Switch Pro. Would like to see some more 3rd party exclusive stuff, like Phoenix Wright, Layton, etc.

Yeah this really is paramount. I don't know how they can do it but they really have to get those prices down ASAP. A 32GB card costs a publisher over $20. Ridiculous.

Agreed. The more we've heard about the situation the worse it sounds.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
MP4 and Fire Emblem for new games.
RE4 and Ace Attorney for ports.
Hoping for Zelda ports too.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a switch community thread? I am getting one for Xmas and have questions

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The more we've heard about the situation the worse it sounds.

It's really worrying too. Before the Switch was announced I remember people were speculating that a ~100GB card in 2018 or so would be equivalent in price to a 4GB 3DS card when the 3DS launched. Clearly that hasn't happened and there's some major hangup in game card production. Nintendo is already eating some of the cost, considering an 8GB card (plus shipping and licensing and such) is the same price as a Blu-Ray disc on the other platforms. What else can they possibly do to get card costs down?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's Mother 3 localization year, I feel it.
It's every year until Nintendo finally pity us and finally do it

While 2018 had pretty good releases, 2019 will have no problems being a better year.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to be excited about the Switch again. 2017 was awesome. 2018 was not that.

Things are off to a good start for me as I'm excited to have NSMBU on the Switch on January 11th.

Of course if those Wave Race rumors turn out to be real, any year a game like that comes out will immediately make it an amazing year on the platform for me. :D

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
SMT V!
SMT V!
SMT V!
We really should finally see something!
In needs to be this year!

And FE. Can't wait for that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's really worrying too. Before the Switch was announced I remember people were speculating that a ~100GB card in 2018 or so would be equivalent in price to a 4GB 3DS card when the 3DS launched. Clearly that hasn't happened and there's some major hangup in game card production. Nintendo is already eating some of the cost, considering an 8GB card (plus shipping and licensing and such) is the same price as a Blu-Ray disc on the other platforms. What else can they possibly do to get card costs down?

I suspect that a big part of the problem is Nintendo themselves mostly using small sized cards, thus the larger sized cards are not seeing any benefits from manufacturing scale that you would expect from Nintendo first party titles.

I didn't know that the 8GB cars were being subsidized in such a way though, that's interesting.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles this weekend, and I've suffered through the dated Wii graphics and performance slowdowns in big battles, I'm assuming they're going to announce a gorgeous remaster of that. I'm surprised that news didn't hit as the credits started rolling.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect that a big part of the problem is Nintendo themselves mostly using small sized cards, thus the larger sized cards are not seeing any benefits from manufacturing scale that you would expect from Nintendo first party titles.

I didn't know that the 8GB cars were being subsidized in such a way though, that's interesting.

Right yeah, there was the hope that Smash would be on a 32GB card to get the prices down but that clearly didn't happen. I can't think of another first party game coming soon which might sell enough and be big enough to have that effect too.

And I believe it was Zhuge who confirmed 8GB cards cost the same to publishers as Blu Ray discs for other platforms and since we know discs are much cheaper to actually manufacture Nintendo has to be subsidising that actual manufacturing process, at least a bit.

Jan 2, 2018
Now that I've finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles this weekend, and I've suffered through the dated Wii graphics and performance slowdowns in big battles, I'm assuming they're going to announce a gorgeous remaster of that. I'm surprised that news didn't hit as the credits started rolling.

That's the reason I'm not playing Metroid Prime right now...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Here are my predictions...
  • Pokémon Gen 8, Animal Crossing Switch, & Fire Emblem: Three Houses are gonna break records sales-wise for their respective franchises (yes, all 3 will be out next year)
  • Star Fox Racing will be revealed & released later in 2019
  • Neither Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 will be out next year, but they will have their gameplay shown & be scheduled for a 2020 release
  • Smash Ultimate won't get a 2nd season of DLC (at least for characters & stages, we'll still get balance patches), and we'll only get Challenger Packs 1-4 this year. Challenger Pack 5 won't be announced until January 2020 & released a month later
    • We'll also go until June without another reveal, with the release date for Piranha Plant alongside the gameplay reveal of Joker tiding us over until then
    • The Fighters Pass will be almost exclusively third party. If we get anything first party, it'll be a rep for either Three Houses, Gen 8, or Dragalia Lost.
    • More music from first party games (Ex: ARMS, post-launch Splatoon 2, Xenoblade X, Tropical Freeze, etc.) will be added for free throughout 2019
    • Smash will also take a cue from ARMS & Splatoon 2 and do Smash Crashes/Fests once a month until the end of 2020 to keep support going after the Fighters Pass is wrapped up & Sakurai moves on
  • Ace Attorney 7 will be announced next year & release on everything, including the Switch
  • Kamiya's new project will be out next year on everything, including the Switch
  • Pikmin 4 will be announced properly at E3 for a 2020 release
  • Yoshi's Crafted World will do modestly well in terms of sales
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will be out next year to tide us over until Metroid Prime 4's release in 2020
  • SNES games will join the Switch Online catalogue at no extra cost for the subscription to compensate for the end of production of the SNES Classic
  • The Switch revision won't be a power upgrade, but rather a power efficiency upgrade. The form factor will remain the same for the sake of compatibility with existing Joy-Cons as well as Labo, and you can get by with the OG Switch just fine unless you really want better battery life & more internal storage
  • Persona 5's upgraded edition will see its release on the Switch as well as the PS4, is announced alongside Joker's gameplay reveal for Smash
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe will sell decently well, basically around how well ARMS & Mario Tennis Aces did (~2 million)
  • Town will catch everyone by surprise in terms of how good of a game it is & will set the stage technically for Pokémon Gen 8 later in the year
  • Shin Megami Tensei V will actually be out in 2019 & will be pretty damn good
  • A new 2D Zelda game along the lines of A Link Between Worlds will be out this year
  • While this will be a good year for Nintendo, don't expect too much from big third party developers (it'll be better than this year, but not by much)
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 will be out in the first half of 2019 & will see DLC support
  • Super Mario Maker 2 will be announced next year, but it won't be out until early 2020

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
2019 will be a very overwhelming year for Nintendo fans. There's still multiple games that haven't been announced yet.

Honestly, Nintendo could move multiple games to 2020, and it still wouldn't change much about 2019. It would still be a very packed year.

This is very interesting to me.

If I'm remembering correctly, you had said something along the lines of Nintendo pushing to make Metroid Prime Trilogy happen. Do you still think that may be the case?

I'm kind of failing to see where it could slot in to such a packed year without it being underappreciated. There are a lot of juggernauts releasing in 2019 already.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Right yeah, there was the hope that Smash would be on a 32GB card to get the prices down but that clearly didn't happen. I can't think of another first party game coming soon which might sell enough and be big enough to have that effect too.

And I believe it was Zhuge who confirmed 8GB cards cost the same to publishers as Blu Ray discs for other platforms and since we know discs are much cheaper to actually manufacture Nintendo has to be subsidising that actual manufacturing process, at least a bit.

Pokemon would probably be the next chance at a Nintendo game pushing into the 32GB cards...which is not great considering that is a year away. The only other thing I could think for them to do would be to subsidize some ports of big sized games that would also push high unit volume, like GTA, CoD, etc. In that way the benefits would trickle down to all devs maybe.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Ten predictions for 2019

• New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe will bomb commercially, failing to sell million units.
  • Animal Crossing will be the best rated series game in metacritic, hitting 90 finally.
  • Mario vs Sonic makes glorious comeback with Mario & Sonic in Tokyo 2020, announced at E3.
  • Super Monkey Ball will make glorious return on Switch. At least 2 more dormant franchises are announced to be revived on the system.
You think NSMB will sell less than a million units AND Daemon X Machina will sell over 2 million?

A 2D Mario is not going to sell sub 1m copies on the Switch.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Predictions:

Travis Strikes Again will be surprisingly good critically

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will be revealed and released this year, while Metroid Prime 4 will be pushed to a 2020 release.

Something new and Zelda will drop

Jan 2, 2018
Pokemon would probably be the next chance at a Nintendo game pushing into the 32GB cards...which is not great considering that is a year away. The only other thing I could think for them to do would be to subsidize some ports of big sized games that would also push high unit volume, like GTA, CoD, etc. In that way the benefits would trickle down to all devs maybe.

The file size of Let's Go is under 5 GB, so I don't see how the new Pokémon would push the 32GB cards.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think they'll have to go the third party route, I don't see a Pokemon game having a huge file size. Unless there's some natural price reduction that they've been waiting for, like the end of a component shortage or something.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even then their E3 was actually pretty good. People just overhype things. I think someone even said "Nintendo has their best E3 in 2010 and 2014 therefore 2018 will also be their best." It's those kind of statements that leads to disappointment.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
New Switch owner here (first Nintendo console ever) and all my hopes and dreams are the Zelda games ported/virtual console'd. :(

PLEASE NINTENDO, I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I just wanna see this revealed

vss09wsjwui01.jpg

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Ten predictions for 2019

Wow. Some (most) of those are wild.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope Resident Evil 4 releases very soon in 2019. Okami was announced in January and released in/around September did it not this year? At least that only released on other consoles in December 2017 so it wasn't that bad but RE4 is an old-ass game and even the PS4/Xbox One port is years old. There's no reason why it should take months and months to come since its announcement a while back, especially as it won't even be in shops for me and across many other countries.

Deleted member 59

I'm expecting to be blown away in terms of quantity and average quality. I don't think 2019 will have a big GotY style title, let alone 2 like 2017, but i think Nintendo a first party and funded exclusives will be so numerous and good in quality, it will be an amazing year.

Here are what i think we'll get

Ports:
NSMBUD (Jan)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (H1)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Dec)

New titles:
Travis Strikes Again (Jan)
Yoshis Crafted World (March)
Labo 4 (April)
Daemon x Machina (Q2)
Fire Emblem 3 Houses (Q2)
New IP (Q3)
Animal Crossing (Q3)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (Sept)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Sept/Oct)
Pokémon Gen 8 (Oct)
Topdown Zelda (Nov)

DLC:
Mario Kart 8D - new racers, tracks and cups
Smash Bros Ultimate - At least one rep from Three House, a DQ rep and hopefully 2 more crazy 3rd party reps
Super Mario Odyssey - the time is now

Online:
Will still suck.
SNES games added to service
Occasional Free Indie title for subscribers

MIA:
Metroid Prime 4 - 2020
Bayonetta 3 - 2020

Reveals:
Alpha dream developed Kirby RPG
Grezzo Zelda port/remake
Retro Studios title (finally)

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I expect to be broke next year.

Keep in mind that 2019 will be Monolith Soft's 20th anniversary. I hope they have something neat to announce for next year. I still feel like 2019 is too early for either RPGs to be announced and/or released.

Maybe a Xenosaga collection is possible? It was their first set of games and it's what led to the creation of the Xenoblade series. Also, Bandai Namco and Nintendo/MS have a good relationship.

Still hoping for that XCX port despite of the company's recent interview.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Capcom? Yes, but Level 5? Besides Ni No Kuni all of their output is coming to the Switch and in case of Yo-kai Watch 4 and Ushiro, it's even exclusive.

I honestly have expected them to be right there from the start or at least within the first year with their previous Inazuma and Layton output and especially with its frequency.