• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
According to Nintendo PR-

Nintendo has increased supplies of Nintendo Switch to meet demand through the holidays. The total number of Nintendo Switch systems sold in the United States through the end of October now stands at more than 2.6 million.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171102005773/en/Super-Mario-Odyssey-Nintendo's-Fastest-Selling-Super-Mario

The last update we got from Nintendo was 2 million (referring to September)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-19-nintendo-switch-passes-2m-us-sales

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very, very good.

Do we know what the Wii U LTD ended up being in the US alone?

Can't imagine it was much more than this current Switch number.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
7f5.gif

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
This holidays is going to boom. The Switch is the greatest investement in the market right now!

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Nintendo for making a product people want. Hopefully they can make enough to fulfill the demand for the thing and destroy the scalpers' market.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I hope they will continue to sell
A more competitive market means better games and products, which is better for us

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Nice, thanks for posting! Just saw that Nintendo snuck this in as part of the Odyssey PR blast.

Going to be a very interesting holiday season :-)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
2.6 million before the holidays is insanity. If they could supply enough of those Mario Odyssey bundles to reach the demand, it'll be a really strong holiday for Nintendo. Not even factoring in SNES Classic and 3DS sales... jesus.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Guess I will finally pick up Mario Kart 8 along with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this holiday. Should give me plenty to play on my vacation.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know if this is a good result anymore. The console warring has left my senses numb.

Gimme your take!

Honestly. If Nintendo has the supply they can hit 5m in the US this year.

Nintendo are already planning to airship consoles again this holiday to meet demand. Production ramp up was only very recent and so Nintendo don't want to miss this opportunity during the holiday season. Will cost more for them, but hopefully it means we see plentiful supply.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
So what should that be by the end of the year? Double?

Edit: If they are airshipping these consoles it's a very good thing they hired Doug Bowser

thebullfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Nintendo for making a product people want. Hopefully they can make enough to fulfill the demand for the thing and destroy the scalpers' market.
Just quoting for my approval of your name/avatar.

Back on topic: very, very nice. The holiday season is going to be insane for Ninty. Working at Best Buy, I saw so many Switches go out the door with Odyssey (I didn't even realize we suddenly had that many in stock). Nintendo is going to own the next couple of months. They damn well better have a stacked 2018 planned to keep the momentum going.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what should that be by the end of the year? Double?

Edit: If they are airshipping these consoles it's a very good thing they hired Doug Bowser

I believe they are indeed aiming for double in most territories, the president of Nintendo in France stated that as the target for their region and the improved FY expectations along with the increasing production points to such a thing being the target elsewhere.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's quite the leap from Sept to Oct. I imagine it was quite a bit over 2 million though.

I wonder how much of the Switch's sustained momentum is due to Nintendo successfully packing the calendar year with plenty of first party releases. The Switch quickly became more than a device sold only to play Breath of the Wild. By the time Xenoblade comes out there will have been at least 8 major Nintendo releases for a console in a single year.

Naturally Nintendo can't do a Zelda every year but my hope is that focusing all development resources on a single platform will finally solve their drought problem. The prospect of the Switch getting 6 to 8 titles a year comparable in scope and quality to what was released in 2017.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
From the leaked numbers we know up until the end of July (nearly 1.8 million), this seems rather low. It brings to mind the situation in April when NoA said that MK8D with its 459k units sold represented a 45% attach rate, which turned out to be incorrect (Switch was at 1186k). Do you think this might be a similar situation, where someone pulled some old numbers into the report?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the phrasing for September NPD was "over 2 million" so it could have been 2.1 or 2.2, hard to say. But figure half a million units in October, that's pretty crazy, right?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is a good result anymore. The console warring has left my senses numb.

Gimme your take!

After about 2 minutes of googling it looks like -- roughly -- PS4 had sold about 10 million worldwide by this point, and Switch is currently at almost 8 million worldwide.

That's very ish I didn't get super scientific. Basically it's almost on pace with PS4 from what I can tell (which is very good).

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the Switch's sustained momentum is due to Nintendo successfully packing the calendar year with plenty of first party releases. The Switch quickly became more than a device sold only to play Breath of the Wild. By the time Xenoblade comes out there will have been at least 8 major Nintendo releases for a console in a single year.

Naturally Nintendo can't do a Zelda every year but my hope is that focusing all development resources on a single platform will finally solve their drought problem. The prospect of the Switch getting 6 to 8 titles a year comparable in scope and quality to what was released in 2017.

I still can't see Nintendo doing an one-man-army job.

2018 line-up remains to be seen

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
From the leaked numbers we know up until the end of July (nearly 1.8 million), this seems rather low. It brings to mind the situation in April when NoA said that MK8D with its 459k units sold represented a 45% attach rate, which turned out to be incorrect (Switch was at 1186k). Do you think this might be a similar situation, where someone pulled some old numbers into the report?
Nintendo could be low balling the numbers. All they said was >2.6M, this could mean Switch is much higher than that, but just not passing 2.7M.

Like I posted in the October NPD thread, wouldn't be the first time Nintendo estimated hardware only for NPD to show a much higher result.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After about 2 minutes of googling it looks like -- roughly -- PS4 had sold about 10 million worldwide by this point, and Switch is currently at almost 8 million worldwide.

That's very ish I didn't get super scientific. Basically it's almost on pace with PS4 from what I can tell (which is very good).

And PS4 launched during a holiday right? Anyway it's not a race, both doing well is gooooood.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly. If Nintendo has the supply they can hit 5m in the US this year.

Nintendo are already planning to airship consoles again this holiday to meet demand. Production ramp up was only very recent and so Nintendo don't want to miss this opportunity during the holiday season. Will cost more for them, but hopefully it means we see plentiful supply.

Well they apparently reported they had 4 million Switches in their inventory at the end of September, so we can guess that global supply for Oct-Dec. will probably be around 7 million or more, assuming they can produce and ship 1m more per month. That production number might also be higher during the holidays.

But if we go by the regional breakdowns the Americas get about 41% of global shipments, and I'd assume the bulk of that is the US, so that would give them about 2.5m or more units to sell through those 3 months. October sold somewhere between 300-700k (going by the number being "more than 2 million" as of the September NPD), so using this napkin math we can expect 1.8-2.2m units to be sold during November and December, for a total of 4.4-4.8m.

Obviously those are all 100% guesstimations (outside of the reported numbers used) but 5m would probably be a fantastic result that exceeds their current forecast. Definitely doable, depending solely on production of course.

I bet nobody would care if It was called Nintendo Bwitch

I understood that reference.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo could be low balling the numbers. All they said was >2.6M, this could mean Switch is much higher than that, but just not passing 2.7M.

Like I posted in the October NPD thread, wouldn't be the first time Nintendo estimated hardware only for NPD to show a much higher result.
Even 2.7 million seems low to me. Including August you would think Switch would be at the edge of 2 million, and September was probably something like 300k at least, so that would mean October was only 400k, which doesn't strike me as very good for the launch month of SMO. But maybe they did underestimated and the actual number is more like 2.8-2.9 million.

_ID_

Oct 29, 2017
That means 600k sold in October alone? That's quite impressive and should mean the next NPD win.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
These things still hard to come by for the foreseeable future.

If they make a bigger screen version, I'm gonna sell mines and upgrade ASAP. Nintendo is back, can't see this train stopping anytime soon. It perfectly fits into my PS4 gaming hobby already and meshes so well, I don't feel like I'm choosing between consoles.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly not doing that great, I've got confirmation from shops in Sweden, New Zealand and Madagascar that there's hundreds of systems lying in the shelves waiting to be sold.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even 2.7 million seems low to me. Including August you would think Switch would be at the edge of 2 million, and September was probably something like 300k at least, so that would mean October was only 400k, which doesn't strike me as very good for the launch month of SMO. But maybe they did underestimated and the actual number is more like 2.8-2.9 million.

Our August estimates are 2009k LTD as of August.
310 - 320k for September.
But i heavily disagree that 400k is a low number. It would still be the best October this generation.