• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
That really doesn't seem right... how much stuff is on the eshop now?

I'm not at the Switch right now, but it's around 980 for the NA eShop, about 960 on the EU eShop, and considerably less on the Japanese eShop.

The NA eShop is expected to pass 1,000 games before the end of August, while the EU eShop reaches that in September.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
There's lots of mediocre software on Switch, but not a lot of shoveleare...yet. That will change.

3DS has tons of trash you've likely never heard of. Far worse than Switch at this point. I'd argue Switch has seen more quality eShop software in 17 months than 3DS has seen in 7.5 years.

I think it was in March this year when Switch surpassed 3DS in terms of more games in Metacritic with a 75+ MC score and at least 7 reviews. (I wrote a post about it in the eShop thread when it happened.) 3DS has 149 "green" games on its all-time list on MC. Switch is approaching 200 fairly soon.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I bet not even WiiU owners knew the console had more than 1000 available games.

Proof that indies and lesser productions only "count" when your console is "winning".

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been so disrespectful against indie dev on behalf of console warring that a lot of you should feel ashamed.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

Proof that indies and lesser productions only "count" when your console is "winning".

The attention Nintendo is giving to independent developers on the Switch is far greater than what it did on Wii U... by a lot. So, I don't understand the need to resort to this line of thinking.

FerozElMejor

Jul 8, 2018
Can we get a list with the 3DS and Switch exclusives?

I don't care about indies that we can get cheaper on PC, or late ports from other consoles.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

The Wii U (lifetime) only had 101 games that reviewed with a 75+ MC score, and the majority of those games are 1st party or 3rd party retail games. The Switch has much more well reviewed games compared to the Wii U, and a large chunk of those are indie games.

RCMADIAX released a huge number of shovelware titles on Wii U. That developer was refused a dev kit for the Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
I get that Shovelware % is an important metric, but it's not the most important in my opinion.

Cynically produced software that is just meant to capitalize on a craze is bad, but there are also a lot of genuine attempts at creating something unlike any other game before it that ultimately don't turn out great.

And those are really important for a console's library in my opinion.

Variety is the spice of life, after all, and once an idea is out there it can be iterated upon and improved.

So we should not only be asking "how many of those games are bad?" but also "how many are unique?"

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
"Probably surpass DS next year?" Another 700+ titles in 1.5 years? If it does that will be some shovely shovelware.

And I do not mean Shovel Knight.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its also gonna be at half the ammount of software sold than 3DS did lifetime by the end of march 2019.

And that with only 1 mainline Pokemon game release, compared to the 4 3DS got.
For some perspective, the mainline pokemon titles on 3DS(XY, ORAS, SM, USUM) sold a combined 54 million units, while total Software sales for 3DS are at 368 million.
That means about 15% of total software sales on 3DS are just Mainline pokemon, and that is excluding RBY/GSC on the virtual console that probably also sold a few million.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
1-2-Switch
1979 Revolution: Black Friday
36 Fragments of Midnight
Ambition of the Slimes
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Blazing Star
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Crossed Swords
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - The King of Fighters '94
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Metal Slug
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Neo Turf Masters
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Shock Troopers
Arcade Archives: NEO-GEO - Waku Waku 7
Astro Bears Party
Astro Duel Deluxe
Blaster Master Zero
Behind the Screen
Bloxiq
The Bridge
Bulb Boy
Clusterpuck 99
Dark Witch: Music Episode - Rudymical
Detective Gallo
Die for Valhalla
Double Dragon IV
Earthworms
Energy Balance
Energy Cycle
Energy Invasion
Fernz Gate
The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition
Flip Wars
Flipover Frog
Flood of Light
Grid Mania
Guilt Battle Arena
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Hacky Zack
Heroes of the Monkey Tavern
Human Resource Machine
Implosion
Inversus
Jumping Joe! & Friends
Kamiko
Kero Blaster
Kid Tripp
King Oddball
Knight Terrors
The Low Road
Mad Carnage
Metropolis: Lux Obscura
My Farm 2018
The Mummy Demastered
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
Night Trap
Nuclien
Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator
Othello
Oxenfree
Pan-Pan: A Tiny Big Adventure
Physical Contact: 2048
Physical Contact: Picture Place
Physical Contact: Speed
Picross S
Pinball FX 3
Qbics Paint
Red Game Without a Great Name
Green Game: TimeSwapper
Retro City Rampage: DX
Serial Cleaner
Shantae: ½-Genie Hero
Shephy
Sigi
Skylanders: Imaginators
Sky Ride
Slam Land
Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out, Together!
Subara Cirty
The Sparkle 2: EVO
Space Ribbon
Spectrum
Stern Pinball Arcade
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
Super Ping Pong Trick Shot
Star Story
Tactical Mind
Tennis in the Face
Thimbleweed Park
Tiny Hands Adventure
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle
Tower of Babel
Ultra Hyperball
Unholy Heights
VOEZ
VSR: Void Space Racing
Vroom in the Night Sky
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Woodle Tree Adventures Deluxe
World of Goo
Zombie Gold Rush

There ya go. Fight me.

Did you just pick 100 random games? Because some of those are legit some of the best games of the last 2 years and very few would be classified by anyone as shovelware.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It's always funny when people talk about droughts and no games in regards to certain system. It's one of the easiest way to tell when someone has no idea what they're talking about. One things for certain the switch is getting a lot more indie games than the PS4 and Xb1 did at this point in their lives.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really a shame the attitude many people have towards all these indie games when we should celebrate that the Nintendo Switch is actively fostering an actually healthy indie community and many people are actually actively looking for the latest quality indie games, and willing to pay for them. This is incredibly good for the industry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch is software monster - my backlog is already killing me. Hope i can get to Celeste, Darkest Dungeon and Dead Cell soon :-/

The number of quality releases in the same time destroys what i had on my 3DS in the first two years...its not even close.
This thread has been so disrespectful against indie dev on behalf of console warring that a lot of you should feel ashamed.
These threads are always quite sad.
Elitsm is always going to be the worst enemy of boards like ERA.

People shitted on Nintendo for ages because they werent indie and developer friendly and the lack of popular middleware engine support. Now we have all that on popular system, same people take it now as an excuse to shit on every digital title they dont know or even complain about it being "too much" ...lol

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wish the store wasn't as bad as it is, so I could sift through all that stuff I'm not remotely interested in and actually find what I'm looking for.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
3DS eShop is very strange to dig through. A ton of random games I've never heard of, mostly puzzle or sprite based titles. Who buys these games? They're fairly cheap but have zero visibility.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not a surprise at all, Switch is currently the healthier platform for indies and a lot of AA games are making their way on the system too.

The Switch is a breath of fresh air for a big part of the industry that were struggling against AAA games and competition on Steam.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Switch is software monster - my backlog is already killing me. Hope i can get to Darkest Dungeon and Dead Cell soon :-/

These threads are always quite sad.
Elitsm is always going to be the worst enemy of boards like ERA.

People shitted on Nintendo for ages because they werent indie and developer friendly and the lack of popular middleware engine support. Now we have all that on popular system, same people take it now as an excuse to shit on every digital title they dont know or even complain about it being "too much" ...lol
It's just people looking for points to win their imaginary console war battles, if the a system they don;t like is getting too few games it's drought and "no games", too many and it's automatically shovel-ware.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
There is no number of games that is too high for any storefront.

They only thing a storefront has to provide is a game appealing enough that the customer wants to buy it every single time they open said storefront.

What does it matter to people if there are 10 or 1000 new releases a day ?
What matters is that one of these releases has to be the game they want right at that moment, and that they can find said game right at that moment.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I would love for the e-shop to have some kind of "only on Switch" category. The flood of indies on the Switch is a great thing for someone who buys the games only (or predominantly) for this system but a huge pain for someone who wants to use it as a companion machine to PC and PS4.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just people looking for points to win their imaginary console war battles, if the a system they don;t like is getting too few games it's drought and "no games", too many and it's automatically shovel-ware.
That works both ways. People are using this number as a counter for games drought, when actually the vast majority are games most people aren't interested in (and a significant proportion shovelware).

At the end of the day people should realise that when people say there's a games drought that a) they mean high profile games and b) people have different tolerance levels, so one major game a month is fine for some, but not for others.

I really despise the handwaiving of criticisms of the Switch library because it is a genuine complaint that Nintendo could learn from in the future. Don't we want Nintendo to do better? No we'd much rather 'win the war against fanboys'.

I say this as someone who's moving away from PS4 to Switch as my primary console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Switch has had a huge advantage of getting pretty much the entire back catalogue of the best indie games of this entire generation within little more than a 12 month period, combined with an indie golden era this past year too. It's worked out really nicely for the device, especially if you're in to playing indies on the move. But obviously the rate of new releases - or at least the quality of them - will slow down rapidly as we're almost completely reliant on new releases now rather than having ports of older games thrown in to the mix too. Perhaps finally time for Nintendo to do whatever their VC thing will be this gen then.
That's not really fair. If you already owned a Wii U, 2018 is pretty dry for high profile releases, and then moreso if you have a PC/PS4/XBO for indies. Really it depends on how much people appreciate the portable aspect because obviously that's a big game changer for those it appeals to.

When you consider PS4 has seen games from Far Cry 5 to God of War to Detroit to SotC to Yakuza Kiwame 2 that aren't on Switch, has the likes of Spider-Man, Tomb Raider and RDR2 on the way soon, has all the Switch indies this year not named Hollow Knight and some exclusives like Deaths Gambit and Guacamelee 2 etc, then you have to release that's what Nintendo's lineup is being compared against, not just the numbers.

But clearly it's only year for Switch and it comes off a huge Year 1, so there was bound to be a lull in first party releases.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Thats a really weird mindset especially now where all 3 console makers seem to be doing quite well.

I think the issue is that "hardcore gamers" are used to be on top of things....they have their gamer knowledge, know the big devs, publishers and series. Whenever the market expands...casual/non-gamer, f2p/mobile gaming/, big indie presence vs. AAA etc. ....there is alot of new stuff being introduced you would have to try out or have to inform yourself about first. With limited resources and time its easier for many to just put everything that doesnt fit standard console release into a trash folder and keep it moving.

And that in itself isnt an issue...there is plenty of stuff i dont care about, but i also dont feel the need to downplay these games or their target audience. Switch having months of nothing worthwhile to play is quite the ridiculous statement....you would think people here would know better.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That works both ways. People are using this number as a counter for games drought, when actually the vast majority are games most people aren't interested in (and a significant proportion shovelware).

At the end of the day people should realise that when people say there's a games drought that a) they mean high profile games and b) people have different tolerance levels, so one major game a month is fine for some, but not for others.

I really despise the handwaiving of criticisms of the Switch library because it is a genuine complaint that Nintendo could learn from in the future. Don't we want Nintendo to do better? No we'd much rather 'win the war against fanboys'.

I say this as someone who's moving away from PS4 to Switch as my primary console.
There's a differnece between personal draughts and generally accepted periods of low software release. If you like the games the PS4 has it's had a "drought" for 5 years same with any console. No one takes this position seriously because it's a silly notion, just because don't like the games releasing doesn't mean the console is going through a low period of software releases it just means you don't like the software releasing, just say that. It becomes even more absurd considering looking at the NPD results the switch has had more major releases these past two months than the other consoles have.

At this point it's pretty much just the go to point for people looking to argue about their favorite consoles rather than anyone that's actually bothered to look at the release schedules.

Exactly. The Switch is flooded with trash and that's not a good thing.
The console much like Steam also has some of the highest rated games of the generation within just over a year on the market. Neither ecosystems are hurting for quality.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. The Switch is flooded with trash and that's not a good thing.
So is every other big/successful plattform....no one is forcing you to play these games. Thos arent the titles that get press, marketing or dominate the eShop charts.

Do you also care as much about every shitty book, movie or song released per week ?

What might be trash for you might be something neat or funny for someone else. People here have a really tough time to understand that not everything is for them and they arent the target audience of every release. We had grown men cry for pages because they wanted something like Labo to fail...lol.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I wouldn't say the Switch is 'full of trash' - plenty of 6/10 or above games are available.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Just like PsVita was one of the most supported console ever, even as a failed system. Indies make that kind of miracles.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Really? I mean, the eShop is 95% full of, I'll take the freedom to call it this way, "no-name" bullshit, so that's actually a bad thing to me.

When you try to find a decent game in the horrendous eShop and have to go through all this crap. Not fun.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
I say Bring it! More games the merrier, I'll sort for the ones I want, but send more!

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So is every other big/successful plattform....no one is forcing you to play these games. Thos arent the titles that get press, marketing or dominate the eShop charts.

Do you also care as much about every shitty book, movie or song released per week ?

What might be trash for you might be something neat or funny for someone else. People here have a really tough time to understand that not everything is for them and they arent the target audience of every release. We had grown men cry for pages because they wanted something like Labo to fail...lol.
No, no one is forcing me to play these games yet I have to scroll through them when i'm looking for new or discounted games on the eshop.
Give it a few years and we're going to have Steam like trash mountains where we have 50+ pages during sales and for 90% of these games you'd have to pay me to play them.

And let's not forget that these games are completely burying the actual good ones if they are not that well known or popular.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I mean, the eShop is 95% full of, I'll take the freedom to call it this way, "no-name" bullshit, so that's actually a bad thing to me.

When you try to find a decent game in the horrendous eShop and have to go through all this crap. Not fun.

Indie means no/little marketing budget, which means "no name" games, unless you do your homework. If you think 950 games out of 1,000 games are "no names" I'd suggest the monthly eShop threads on Era.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Literally 90% of the games on the Switch eShop are also on XBL, PSN and Steam.

You can't seriously suggest the Switch is full of trash compared to literally any other platform.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I've said it before and I will say it again, a drought is when there are no games being released, not when the games being released aren't to your liking.

It's like opening the fridge, seeing orange juice, cola, water, tea, and 10 other drinks yet saying there is nothing to drink because there is no cranberry juice.

Should the eShop start carrying cranberry juice? Probably, but as long as they are carrying something only the most picky of people will go thirsty.

Oct 26, 2017

You can't seriously suggest the Switch is full of trash compared to literally any other platform.
But how else would people move the goalposts? This freaking thread has Oxenfree listed as Shovelware for crying out loud. People are tripping on some bad case of console warriro bullshit.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Well people constantly complain about Steam and PSN and XBL have that trash too but I feel these two are at least better organized.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Yeah but I think it's due to the other platforms having more known big budget games, opposed to the many many indies on Switch.

When I go through the eShop I mostly see badly designed game symbols with bad names, which turn me off instantly, which creates the feeling that most of this is crap, even if this might be a misconception.

Also this:
Well people constantly complain about Steam and PSN and XBL have that trash too but I feel these two are at least better organized.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Do they? I haven't seen multiple threads of people posting constantly about the shovelware on there.

Also it's debatable about being better organized. I haven't got first hand experience with PSN but the XBL shopping experience is absolutely dreadful IMO.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Do they? I haven't seen multiple threads of people posting constantly about the shovelware on there.

Also it's debatable about being better organized. I haven't got first hand experience with PSN but the XBL shopping experience is absolutely dreadful IMO.
Yeah I haven't seen that, or rather anywhere close to the degree of Steam and now switch.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
List 100 eshop games that are trash on Switch and let us decide your tastes.

People always say most eshop games are trash without providing any proof lol.
Just open the eshop look at the first 10 or 20 games and tell me which one of them deserve this kind of attention over the actual top games released in the last 3 months.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Some odd responses here. Obviously not all 1000+ games are A+ but there's a mountain of brilliant games on the eShop. A small portion of shovelware doesn't undermine that.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just open the eshop look at the first 10 or 20 games and tell me which one of them deserve this kind of attention over the actual top games released in other last 3 months.

What? Who cares?

No one here is saying that these games deserve more acclaim than Octopath Traveller or Spider-Man lol. What are you even arguing about here?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just open the eshop look at the first 10 or 20 games and tell me which one of them deserve this kind of attention over the actual top games released in the last 3 months.

Are you complaining that a list sorted in release date order shows the most recent releases?