• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We live in an Internet-driven world it should not be hard to distinguish which games are good or not.

Sadly there are no reviews on Switch and little game information. And despite living in an internet-driven world, the Switch isn't very connected!

There's the same amount of trash on the ps4. What's your point?

....no there isn't. Maybe if you count avatars and themes, of which Sony seemingly still opens the floodgates to. There isn't nearly as much shovelware or lazy mobile ports on PS4 as are on Switch.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly there are no reviews on Switch and little game information. And despite living in an internet-driven world, the Switch isn't very connected!
What do you mean? That there are no reviews on the E-Shop?

I mean, even on other platforms I wouldn't necessarily trust a general 'five star score', I usually google the game out to verify.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you there's no reviews, on the E-Shop?

I mean, even on other platforms I wouldn't necessary trust a general 'five star score', I usually google the game out to verify.

Using Steam and GOG as the gold standard. We don't have to always compare to Sony/MS.
Miiverse on 3DS/WiiU at least allowed for one to learn more about a game, it was a great way to discover new titles and to get a general impression of how popular/received a title is and to see user screenshots. Now that's gone. Besides the News channel, the Switch feels barren.

I wish they let us at least share screenshots/videos on our Switch user profile.

Jun 22, 2018
I don't think most people that complain about the quantity of games on Switch actually think there are no games on Switch.

What they're saying is that there aren't very many games that I can't already play on PC/PS4/Xbox that I am actually interested in.

I've felt a little of that because I feel no reason to buy multiplats on Switch, because I'd rather play them on PC or X1X. So, my switch is just used for high quality exclusives that interest me.

I've played some great games on Switch, but there aren't a ton of games that I'm excited to buy on it right now. So, for me, personally, there's a little bit if a drought of switch games. Not that there is an actual lack of games on Switch, there's just a lack of exclusive games I'm personally interested in.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To the people calling everything trash on the Switch, this is very easy to quantify:

- 104 games have a metacritic score of 80%+ on the Switch so far
- 89 games have a metacritic score of 80%+ on the 3DS so far

The 3DS has got nothing on the Switch, it already has a better library of games after only 1.5 years on the market.
To be fair, how many of those games on Switch are ports or multiplats that are better played elsewhere?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
That's very unexpected, though I remember that first year of walking into stores and seeing the 3DS's abysmal library so I guess it isn't too surprising

Nintendo really needs to fix up the Switch eShop's algorithms and sorting soon, though. Even something like the 3DS's would go a long way to make it less of a hassle to discover games.
The eShop fetches queries from an SQL database, and displays the results to the player. It has no bearings to algorithms at all. It's the eShop's UI that makes things harder to navigate around the queries. And it's why Nintendo is hiring new UI engineers right now.

Jun 22, 2018
The eShop fetches queries from an SQL database, and displays the results to the player. It has no bearings to algorithms at all. It's the eShop's UI that makes things harder to navigate around the queries. And it's why Nintendo is hiring new UI engineers right now.
Companies often precompute rankings for search results, so even if it's fetched by a very simple sql query, there is probably some sort of ranking algorithm at play

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Yet it still feels like there's not much to play on it. I always see the same games on the eShop. Most of those games are shovelware anyway. I prefer quality over quantity.

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
To the people calling everything trash on the Switch, this is very easy to quantify:

- 104 games have a metacritic score of 80%+ on the Switch so far
- 89 games have a metacritic score of 80%+ on the 3DS so far

The 3DS has got nothing on the Switch, it already has a better library of games after only 1.5 years on the market.

This doesn't really match with my experience. I'm sure the Switch will catch up eventually, but right now I can think of like, 30 really excellent games on the 3DS and maybe 4 on the Switch, which is about right given each console's lifespan. It's possible that I just have weird preferences or that the good Switch games are buried under a mountain of indie shovelware though.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most people that complain about the quantity of games on Switch actually think there are no games on Switch.

What they're saying is that there aren't very many games that I can't already play on PC/PS4/Xbox that I am actually interested in.

I've felt a little of that because I feel no reason to buy multiplats on Switch, because I'd rather play them on PC or X1X. So, my switch is just used for high quality exclusives that interest me.

I've played some great games on Switch, but there aren't a ton of games that I'm excited to buy on it right now. So, for me, personally, there's a little bit if a drought of switch games. Not that there is an actual lack of games on Switch, there's just a lack of exclusive games I'm personally interested in.

Okay, but you can apply this to any platform. When people talk about a "drought" they speak as if it applies to the Switch in general, not a personal preference.

As such, it's not something Nintendo needs to listen to. They aren't focused on selling games to you, or a select group, they want to have software that a wide range of people will buy. That includes cheap "shovelware". People will impulse buy these cheap mobile ports. That's why they are on the system.

I like the Switch for it's flexibility, I can play on my TV or as a handheld in bed. I can take it on vacation or when visiting my parents. So when you say I can play a game on my PC for a better experience, I don't see it. I'd rather play Hollow Knight on the Switch.

It's not fair to downplay the Switch library just because you would prefer to play games elsewhere. If a good game is part of the library, then it increases the perceived value of the Switch.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair, how many of those games on Switch are ports or multiplats that are better played elsewhere?
This is dependent on the player. Portability beats everything else as a feature for me, it's far more important to me than taking a hit in performance,and so all those games are better played on Switch in my case.

Jun 22, 2018
Okay, but you can apply this to any platform. When people talk about a "drought" they speak as if it applies to the Switch in general, not a personal preference.

As such, it's not something Nintendo needs to listen to. They aren't focused on selling games to you, or a select group, they want to have software that a wide range of people will buy. That includes cheap "shovelware". People will impulse buy these cheap mobile ports. That's why they are on the system.

I like the Switch for it's flexibility, I can play on my TV or as a handheld in bed. I can take it on vacation or when visiting my parents. So when you say I can play a game on my PC for a better experience, I don't see it. I'd rather play Hollow Knight on the Switch.

It's not fair to downplay the Switch library just because you would prefer to play games elsewhere. If a good game is part of the library, then it increases the perceived value of the Switch.

The point is, just because there is a high quantity of games, that doesn't mean it's easy for everyone to find huge amounts of games they want to buy for Switch.

Everyone is welcome to their own gaming preferences. So, it's dumb to try and convince everyone there are endless amounts of games they should buy on Switch, when that may not be true for each person.

I have ~500 games on PC, ~350 games on Xbox One, and 5 games on Switch. There's not much else, yet, that I'm even half interested in. So, my Switch doesn't get played much. That could be considered a drought by many.

It won't be a drought for all people, though, if they prefer to buy everything on Switch.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The point is, just because there is a high quantity of games, that doesn't mean it's easy for everyone to find huge amounts of games they want to buy for Switch.

Everyone is welcome to their own gaming preferences. So, it's dumb to try and convince everyone there are endless amounts of games they should buy on Switch, when that may not be true for each person.

I have ~500 games on PC, ~350 games on Xbox One, and 5 games on Switch. There's not much else, yet, that I'm even half interested in. So, my Switch doesn't get played much. That could be considered a drought by many.

It won't be a drought for all people, though, if they prefer to buy everything on Switch.

It's not a drought just because you don't buy games.

I have 130+ Switch games and have currently stopped buying games on Steam, because I know I won't play them on Steam anymore. I have very little interest in what releases on Steam, outside of some niche games. But I wouldn't call it a drought on Steam just because I choose to not buy games there.

It does. Just not as much as 3ds, but that makes sense given how old the 3ds is. Switch will easily get there.

What are your sources for this claim? Using Metacritic as measurement, the Switch quality content has surpassed 3DS a long time ago.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This quality > quantity thing that several people have parroted ITT is absolutely amazing like it's a novel idea to like good games more than bad ones or that it's a well known and indisputable fact that the Switch doesn't have even some amazing games.

Both of those takes which are the only semi-reasonable meanings I can fathom it meaning are just hilarious to me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't really match with my experience. I'm sure the Switch will catch up eventually, but right now I can think of like, 30 really excellent games on the 3DS and maybe 4 on the Switch, which is about right given each console's lifespan. It's possible that I just have weird preferences or that the good Switch games are buried under a mountain of indie shovelware though.

If you can only think of 4 excellent games on Switch that's far more on you than the system. Just Odyssey, BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids and Mario Kart alone are 5 games off the top of my head from last year that are considered quality. Even this year you had Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 1+2 and Octopath traveler. That's already 9 games. If you follow the 3DS more it makes sense to know more games but to only reach 4, you're not looking.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meaningless stat when 3/4 of those are phone ports or complete shovelware shitshows. Nintendo has taken the quality assurance department and shoved them out of the building.

While I understand they have some great games they really don't need to try and make this an iPhone store which is where they seem to be headed.

Jun 22, 2018
It's not a drought just because you don't buy games.

I have 130+ Switch games and have currently stopped buying games on Steam, because I know I won't play them on Steam anymore. I have very little interest in what releases on Steam, outside of some niche games. But I wouldn't call it a drought on Steam just because I choose to not buy games there.
Clearly I said it is a drought for those people.

It's all a matter of perception.

For me, there has been a drought of games I actually want on Switch. That's a true statement.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

The last game I bought for my PS4 is GoW, HZD before that and UC4 before that. I would get rightly called if I claim that the PS4 has no games and has been on a game drought for years now.

Jun 22, 2018
The last game I bought for my PS4 is GoW, HZD before that and UC4 before that. I would get rightly called if I claim that the PS4 has no games and has been on a game drought for years now.
Yeah, if you claimed there's no games, that wouldn't be true.

If you said, you've had a drought of PS4 games you wanted to play, that would be true. Which is my entire point.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where has this perception that the eShop is mostly mobile ports come from?

The vast majority of eShop games are ports of existing PC, PS4 and XBO titles or releases across all platforms.

Oct 26, 2017
Clearly I said it is a drought for those people.

It's all a matter of perception.

For me, there has been a drought of games I actually want on Switch. That's a true statement.
There's a difference between there being a lack of games that currently interest you on the system and there being an actual drought, though. For me, there was a lack of games that interested me on the PS4 till 2017. Can I call that a drought...or is it just a lack of games that interest me? This just feels like an argument of semantics at this point

Jun 22, 2018
There's a difference between there being a lack of games that currently interest you on the system and there being an actual drought, though. For me, there was a lack of games that interested me on the PS4 till 2017. Can I call that a drought...or is it just a lack of games that interest me? This just feels like an argument of semantics at this point
It is. You're right.

I was just trying to point out that a console can have lots of games, but still feel like a drought to a given gamer.

So, when someone says there's been a drought, there's an implication of that being from their own perspective and not a reflection on the entire console's library.

Now, if someone is claiming the console has no games, then that's just flatly not true on any current platform.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where has this perception that the eShop is mostly mobile ports come from?

The vast majority of eShop games are ports of existing PC, PS4 and XBO titles or releases across all platforms.

Anything to disregard the lineup of the console. It's not enough to point out actual shortcomings (AAA third party games, shooters etc.), making shit up is simply easier for lazy trolls.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's an easy way to disregard games they've never played.

Anything to disregard the lineup of the console. It's not enough to point out actual shortcomings (AAA third party games, shooters etc.), making shit up is simply easier for lazy trolls.

I guess so.

It's funny as well because something like Implosion is a mobile phone port and it's better than most of the stuff that has come from console developers, even including major third parties.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

There is also no reason for playing games like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight on PC not Switch.
in fact, I'd say portability is reason enough to pick those titles and the likes on Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
It is. You're right.

I was just trying to point out that a console can have lots of games, but still feel like a drought to a given gamer.

So, when someone says there's been a drought, there's an implication of that being from their own perspective and not a reflection on the entire console's library.

Now, if someone is claiming the console has no games, then that's just flatly not true on any current platform.
I can definitely understand that, Lord knows last gen felt like a drought for me, but, usually, when people say there's a drought, the implication is that there's a lack of notable games coming out for a quite a while. It's a lot easier really to just say that there hasn't been much for you as everyone will get what you're saying and the discussion won't turn sour

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it good or bad news?
3DS shovelwares seem out of control. Beating that quantity is good?
Switch is really starting to ramp up the shovelware output

I can definitely understand that, Lord knows last gen felt like a drought for me, but, usually, when people say there's a drought, the implication is that there's a lack of notable games coming out for a quite a while. It's a lot easier really to just say that there hasn't been much for you as everyone will get what you're saying and the discussion won't turn sour
Can't be said enough.

When people say Switch's release schedule is barren I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's a "lazy mobile port"? Are Gorogoa, Frame Collection, Heroki lazy mobile ports? If not, what games are?
Jumping Joe & Friends
Skypeace
Jurassic/World Soccer/Mummy/Werewolf Pinball
Funbox Party
Timberman Vs
Kentucky Robo Chicken
Pixel Action Heroes
Darts Up
Green
Octocopter
Woodle Tree Adventure
Superola and the Lost Burgers
Henry the Hamster Handler
...And on and on and on

Just search the eshop "Price 0.00-9.99" and sort by lowest to highest and you'll find a mountain of shit.

Sorry, 3DS destroys the Switch in number of quality titles (TO ME). Switch doesn't even have a Pokemon game yet, or Smash, or 2D Mario. And given that the 3DS also plays DS titles, it's not remotely close.
Looks like it's getting all 3 of those titles this year if the NSMBU rumour is true.

Jun 22, 2018
There is also no reason for playing games like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight on PC not Switch.
in fact, I'd say portability is reason enough to pick those titles and the likes on Switch.
And as I've been trying to point out, that's all down to personal preference.

And those games can be played with pretty good portability on a laptop or windows tablet. It all depends on how people prefer to game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
And as I've been trying to point out, that's all down to personal preference.

And those games can be played with pretty good portability on a laptop or windows tablet. It all depends on how people prefer to game.

Highlighted and underlined is pretty disingenuous argumentation. Especially for two specific titles mentioned.
I think you should have just stuck to the personal preference angle

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Jumping Joe & Friends
Skypeace
Jurassic/World Soccer/Mummy/Werewolf Pinball
Funbox Party
Timberman Vs
Kentucky Robo Chicken
Pixel Action Heroes
Darts Up
Green
Octocopter
Woodle Tree Adventure
Superola and the Lost Burgers
Henry the Hamster Handler
...And on and on and on

Just search the eshop "Price 0.00-9.99" and sort by lowest to highest and you'll find a mountain of shit.

Thanks! I agree that those games are in shovelware territory. But I still don't get what "mobile" has to do with anything. A bad game is a bad game, regardless of origin.