• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Not on July NDP charts, not on eshop top sellers charts.

Ok ,it was released less than a week before July ended, so it could explain NPD and it may very well sell consistently over the holidays, but It's absence on the eshop chart is the most telling.

It's way to early to be out here saying it bombed. Seriously.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
So much shovelware that nobody even knows.

So I'm going to play Link Between Worlds or Samus Returns instead of Astro Bears, Forbidden Romance With A Mysterious Spirit, or Loot Monkey: Bling Palace, thanks.

It's very much a case of quality vs. quantity.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Yeah i'm just pointing out it's not charting at all. Maybe use of the word 'kinda bombed' is harsh? The key point is, the games doing well aren't the usual suspects that riled up the 'hardcore' gamers in the gaming forums before, so the use of shovelware in the context of Switch seems to me to be really disingenous as a criticism of Switch's growing library. It's getting a ton of releases because core games are doing well.

I see there's now an attempt to shift the context to 'ports', but it's just a poor argument I think.
Go Vacation charted in my country, it was even in the top 5. Still in the top 30 I think.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

So I'm going to play Link Between Worlds or Samus Returns instead of Astro Bears, Forbidden Romance With A Mysterious Spirit, or Loot Monkey: Bling Palace, thanks.

Switch has more higher rated games on metacritic, it beats the 3DS by quantity and quality by those metrics.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018

Why not play Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2 or Okami HD instead? Your argument is really disingenuous.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

You're comparing Astro Bears, a game that sells for $1, with games that costs 40 times more?

How about valid comparisons, like comparing Steamworld Dig 2 with Samus Returns?

Oct 26, 2017

Now you're just being disingenuous by comparing top titles to Switch shovelware and not doing the same for the opposite.

"So I'm going to play Super Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild instead of Pet Zombies, Carnival Games Wild West 3D, or Face Racers Photo Finish, thanks."

See how stupid you sound?

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting he timed his post to coincide with page rollover to keep derailing discussion and the disingenuous shovelware narrative. I don't think it's accidental the content of the post is disingenuous and inflammatory.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
That's insane but also kinda scary for discoverability. Like, yay for the Switch, but I would hate for good games to get drowned out by piles of garbage just by the nature of the system being the new hotness. It's only going to get worse with time.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
You're comparing Astro Bears, a game that sells for $1, with games that costs 40 times more?

How about valid comparisons, like comparing Steamworld Dig 2 with Samus Returns?

I won't buy or play that $1 waste of space, but it's counted as a "game" here. That's how.

Steamworld Dig 2 is on 3DS, so if I want to have both that and Samus Returns on the same system, I can actually do that on 3DS.

I know there are some good indie games, but they don't remove the flood of total crap that plagues SW.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly there are no reviews on Switch and little game information. And despite living in an internet-driven world, the Switch isn't very connected!

....no there isn't. Maybe if you count avatars and themes, of which Sony seemingly still opens the floodgates to. There isn't nearly as much shovelware or lazy mobile ports on PS4 as are on Switch.
OH there absolutely is. I think Sony does a better job with their store front but there is a massive amount of absolute garbage on PS store

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is about the number of games, and the sheer numbers of terrible shovelware completely overwhelm actual releases like that on SW.

Now that is another garbage and disingenuous argument to make when you deliberately focused on making the comparison one-sided by hilariously ignoring the games that the Switch has that are arguably of Samus Returns' and ALBW's quality.

Don't use the "t-this thread is about numbers!!!" card when you knew what you were doing.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like easily provable facts then. Go ahead and give us the total number of games one can play on the 3DS that are rated 80 or higher (including DS titles) and the number of Switch games in the same range.
2KJSj.png

Here you go, though you could have easily checked this yourself. All time lists, last title at or above 80 is 89 on 3ds, last title at or above 80 is 104 on the switch.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Because they're games everyone can play on their 3DS. Why wouldn't you include them?

Because when you look at software released on a new system you are looking at actually titles published for it. Using backwards compatibility to say "to say the 3DS has a better library of games because it plays none 3DS games" defeats the purpose. Those aren't 3DS games, they are DS games.

Oct 27, 2017
Because when you look at software released on a new system you are looking at actually titles published for it. Using backwards compatibility to say "to say the 3DS has a better library of games because it plays none 3DS games" defeats the purpose.
When many people buy a console or handheld, they look at all available games for it. Regardless. You can't just pretend DS games aren't playable on every 3DS.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread is about the number of games, and the sheer numbers of terrible shovelware completely overwhelm actual releases like that on SW.
If you think the 3DS eshop wasn't full of crap like Imagine Baby or Fantasy Petz etc that vastly outnumber the games worth playing on 3DS, I don't know what to say. Any popular platform has a huge percentage of shovelware and that absolutely includes the GameBoy, GBA, DS and 3DS. None of that means than a platform with a 1000+ games doesn't still have several hundred worth playing.

The issue is one of visibility- that the Switch just lists stuff in release order is both a good thing if you are a regular visitor and a bad thing if you're after something specific. I always disliked the way everything was buried under multiple banners on 3DS but it did disguise the shovelware that was pumped out.

Oct 31, 2017
We should probably note that a chunk of those games (on the front page, Pokemon Go is listed, for example) haven't released, so if future releases are listed, then I wouldn't say 3DS is about to be surpassed. If you go on the Playstation Store, you'll get 3000 matches for PS4, but some are different editions and some haven't released. Still a ton of options, of course.

Sorry to be that pedantic guy. =P I'm sure Switch won't have trouble surpassing number of games for 3DS.

Switch has had a huge advantage of getting pretty much the entire back catalogue of the best indie games of this entire generation within little more than a 12 month period, combined with an indie golden era this past year too. It's worked out really nicely for the device, especially if you're in to playing indies on the move. But obviously the rate of new releases - or at least the quality of them - will slow down rapidly as we're almost completely reliant on new releases now rather than having ports of older games thrown in to the mix too. Perhaps finally time for Nintendo to do whatever their VC thing will be this gen then.

This, too.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even the Wii got this much shovelware a shame the eshop sucks to navigate as there are plenty of great titles that are being burried by literal crap.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Because they're games everyone can play on their 3DS. Why wouldn't you include them?
The premise of this thread is centered around the fact that the Switch is reaching the amount of games on the 3DS. The argument brought forward was that a lot of those games on Switch are of poor quality in comparison to the 3DS, adding DS games to inflate the 3DS number makes no sense and you know it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When many people buy a console or handheld, they look at all available games for it. Regardless. You can't just pretend DS games aren't playable on every 3DS.

The opening is comparing published 3DS games vs published Switch games. The fact that backwards compatibility exists is nice for users but you don't add multiple hardware libraries together. That is flawed. And it super ignores the mass market doesn't buy any significant portion of last gen software when newer gens release. Software sales fall off a cliff when next generations start.

Oct 26, 2017
Any game I can stick into my 3DS, or download and play is a game in my 3DS library. That's the beauty of backwards compatibility.

Except no one is talking about backwards compatibility. The library specifically mentions games that were developed for and meant to be played on the 3DS, it's why you see Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS being completely separate on the site.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Ridiculous take...on 3DS people had to sugar coat that subpar 2D Castlevania bei Mercury Steam because it was the next best thing...on Switch barely a year old I can get three tip tier Metroidvania games for the price of Castlevania on 3DS.

How long did you had to wait for Samia Returns on 3DS ? Look what Switch offers in that genre not even 2 years old and with many more coming and announced.

Steamworld Dig 2, Hollow Knight and Dead Cell > pretty much everything 3DS ever recieved during that period.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018

Nope - The eShop does have a lot of games but Nintendo does a good shop of curating games. You cannot just create a game and release it on the Switch. Nintendo does have a minimum quality bar and it shows. Also, they are getting about the same number of games and the Xbox One and I would assume they are getting the same number of games as the PS4. I strongly suspect they get fewer games than Steam. Why does Nintendo get "too many" games when no one complains about the number of games coming to other platforms?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous take...on 3DS people had to sugar coat that subpar 2D Castlevania bei Mercury Steam because it was the next best thing...on Switch barely a year old I can get three tip tier Metroidvania games for the price of Castlevania on 3DS.

How long did you had to wait for Samia Returns on 3DS ? Look what Switch offers in that genre not even 2 years old and with many more coming and announced.

Steamworld Dig 2, Hollow Knight and Dead Cell > pretty much everything 3DS ever recieved during that period.

Not to mention poster is comparing the near entirity of the 3DS library to the current Switch one not even 2 years in. They Stacked the deck and still couldn't make a convincing point.

Switch library is that good.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Not even the Wii got this much shovelware a shame the eshop sucks to navigate as there are plenty of great titles that are being burried by literal crap.
False, using the same metric as before the switch also has more titles on metacritic rated above 80 than on the wii last title at or above 80 is 101

2KJUn.png

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
3DS eShop was never that good despite the installbase. Likely too hard to port over most indies so it's not super surprising

The 3DS's store was slow and hard to navigate. It also didn't do a good job of helping you find the game which were released since your last visit. The Switch's store is better than the Xbox One's store and the PS4's store (that's not saying much because both stores are meh). Here is why the Switch's store is better:

A) It's faster
B) It's simpler (less work to get places)

Here is where it needs to improve:

1) Like every other store, it's basically a database front end. Real stores help people find the best content on the system. They have humans who go through all of the games, find out which ones people love and highlight them so other people buy them,
2) It needs human game categorization (never let publishers categorize games because they will do stupid things like claim Ninja Gaiden 2 is a "fighting game").
3) It should show people how long paying customers play games on average. It should only include customers who started the game and played for at least 2 minutes.
4) Nintendo should use system telemetry to determine which games people like and promote those games.

Oct 26, 2017
Any game I can stick into my 3DS, or download and play is a game in my 3DS library. That's the beauty of backwards compatibility.
They're games that are playable on the 3DS, true, but they weren't games developed for the 3DS. For example, when the DS's library is compared to the PSP's, the GBA, GBC, and GB isn't added alongside it. For most people, when they brought a DS, it was for DS games, not to go out and get GB games

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
Is it good or bad news?
3DS shovelwares seem out of control. Beating that quantity is good?

I never saw any shovelware on the 3DS or Switch. Are there a lot of indie titles? Yup. Is that bad? Nope. Nintendo does a good job screening games and making sure all of the games released on the system are at least decent games.

Also, on the old forum, I remember a lot of people talking about how the PS Vita was great indie machine. Presumable this was because you could play a lot of indie games on it. No one complained abut the Vita getting "too many" indie games. Even now, there are a fair number of Vita thread and no complains about the number of indie games on the PS Vita. So, why is it a problem that Nintendo systems get indie games but why wasn't it a problem when the PS Vita got indie games?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I never saw any shovelware on the 3DS or Switch. Are there a lot of indie titles? Yup. Is that bad? Nope. Nintendo does a good job screening games and making sure all of the games released on the system are at least decent games.

Also, on the old forum, I remember a lot of people talking about how the PS Vita was great indie machine. Presumable this was because you could play a lot of indie games on it. No one complained abut the Vita getting "too many" indie games. Even now, there are a fair number of Vita thread and no complains about the number of indie games on the PS Vita. So, why is it a problem that Nintendo systems get indie games but why wasn't it a problem when the PS Vita got indie games?

The Vita thing was always in relation to 3DS, so it made sense to talk it up. Now that Sony isn't playing in that space, it's ok to hate on the idea of playing indie games on the go despite the fact that 2018 indies are an order of magnitude more successful/prominent than during the Vita /3DS era.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Something about quantity not being better than quality or some shit like that.
To put things into perspective according to metacritic which lists very roughly a third of the number of titles listed on these store fronts.

Titles that scored 80 or above represent

22.3% of the total number of ps4 titles

27.9% of the total number of switch titles

22.8% of the total number of 3DS titles

Of course the PS4 has around 3 times more titles in general than the other two listed systems I believe which has a tendency to skew that number lower.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
Not surprising. Switch reminds me so much of Steam in the amount of games it has coming out every week. And I mean that in a good and a bad way. There's a LOT of trash flooding the eshop. Good games too, but lots of nothing games flooding the store just like Steam.

Could you please provide some examples? How about you go through the last two months of releases and tell us which ones are "trash" and which ones are "good"? My guess is you are to have a hard time doing this because a lot of the "trash" games are actually pretty good (remember, just because you don't like something doesn't make it "trash"). Here is link to the Switch's notable new release: https://www.nintendo.com/games/nintendo-switch-new-releases. Here is a link to all of Switch's new releases:https://www.nintendo.com/games/game...tch|now|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|release|des|- .

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

With your reasoning, the Wii U also had a better software library than the Switch, since the Wii U was backwards compatible with the Wii. But that doesn't reflect the reality, since some Wii games were discontinued and very difficult to find during the Wii U days.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To put things into perspective according to metacritic which lists very roughly a third of the number of titles listed on these store fronts.

Titles that scored 80 or above represent

22.3% of the total number of ps4 titles

27.9% of the total number of switch titles

22.8% of the total number of 3DS titles

Of course the PS4 has around 3 times more titles in general than the other two listed systems I believe which has a tendency to skew that number lower.

I personally would've done the search on 70 Metacritic because I believe 70 and up are good to great games but that's pretty good.

I like to do these comparisons 1 to 1 to keep things fair. If it holds, I'll admit to being impressed.

When Kishima (former Nintendo president. I've been playing Persona 5 and I'm mixing up my names) said the they'll be 30 releases per week on the Switch I thought the quality of the eShop Switch games would've dropped drastically but it seems to be holding up.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I personally would've done the search on 70 Metacritic because I believe 70 and up are good to great games but that's pretty good.

I like to do these comparisons 1 to 1 to keep things fair. If it holds, I'll admit to being impressed.

When Kishima (former Nintendo president. I've been playing Persona 5 and I'm mixing up my names) said the they'll be 30 releases per week on the Switch I thought the quality of the eShop Switch games would've dropped drastically but it seems to be holding up.

It's holding up because the Switch is to a very large part getting games that were already good and successful on other platforms. They wouldn't have been able to pull the same off 5 years ago.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's holding up because the Switch is to a very large part getting games that were already good and successful on other platforms. They wouldn't have been able to pull the same off 5 years ago.

Yeah, I tend to forget that a lot of what's coming to Switch are established ports already. Games that already well known and successful on other platforms. I don't say that in a negative way because I love the ports.

Even though I still feel it's best to make those comparisons when there's a equal amount of games on each side. Also there's so much quality on the 3DS that I'm not ready to acknowledge my/the Switch just yet. It still needs the Pokémon, Smash, Shin Megami Tensei, and others to hold a candle to the 3DS.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much, it'll go down once the platform receives a higher proportion of day and date releases but to act as if the switch is some shovelware heaven currently in comparison to other current platforms is just nonsense.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
The Vita thing was always in relation to 3DS, so it made sense to talk it up. Now that Sony isn't playing in that space, it's ok to hate on the idea of playing indie games on the go despite the fact that 2018 indies are an order of magnitude more successful/prominent than during the Vita /3DS era.

Unfortunately, I bet you are right. Since the Switch launched, there has been an awful lot a mudsling at the platform and it's really strange because the Switch is a great piece of hardware with great software. It's not perfect but Nintendo clearly did a great job and I wish more people would give them credit and give them constructive criticism instead of BS like the eShop is full of "trash" and "shovel ware".