• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
Surprised there were no mentions at all to Splatoon 2 numbers. The game should be around 2.1-2.3m right now, maybe even more if the game outperformed during Q3.

7,47m WW Sales -> According to Q2 Earnings for the period ending September 2018
2,65m in Japan -> LTD for Splatoon 2 in Japan in Week 39, data from Media Create.
4.82m WW -> remaining sales to be split between Americas, Europe, Rest of the World.
2.42m in Americas -> Assuming a 50:50 split between them (should probably be 65:35 or 60:40 if looking at Geographical Sales Breakdown)
2.01 in US -> Assuming the Ratio of US representing roughly 85% of sales in Americas in September 2018

This would be the sales as of September 2018 in US. Add in around 200.000 during Q3 in the US and you would reach the figures above.

Do we have official numbers though?

we'll have to wait for quarter results i guess
will be interesting to see how Splatoon 2 , tropical freeze and kirby sales will increase from the holidays

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
This is the only thing left that the naysayers and haters have left. From when it was known as the NX, they said it would be the last Nintendo system ever. When it was revealed, they said no one would be interested in that product. When the price point was given, people mocked it for being too expensive. When it broke records it was due to BotW and nothing else. When it continued later that year with Super Mario Odyssey, it was the honeymoon period. When indies were seeing unprecedented success on consoles, it was because Switch owners were starving. Due to the lofty goal Nintendo set for the year and the relatively tame 2018 release schedule, this is the only remaining thing they had to latch onto.

qzLB7mDqG17Q0RRQQnA5IyjtCUYrrkv1adU-nzJQuX-YmcBX0sp6jB6bNMIaJ8tkoFxLJFZa_As7MhO8DYsBhQXxivcYXcN3xtxlZGqu0rZEBkPM7NEbscjS7a1ajuWeOA=w220-h220-nc

What an amazing era it's been

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I assume Mario Odyssey has already passed Galaxy as the highest selling 3D Mario?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, that's my point - Nintendo was able to get away with releasing a bad handheld because they've consistently been able to have well-supported portable devices, the 3DS being no exception.

Switch is the first time (from a handheld perspective) they actually have hardware relatively on par with competitors in addition to having a bunch of games.
Tbh, it was not as bad as the wii u, the 3d gimmick was interesting to the public at first, the price got slashed to $170 , eventually everybody knew it was a new system, and software wise Nintendo supported it very well.also 3ds was the last SD console so many japanese developers supported it because it meant cheaper dev costs

Plus the name works, 3DS

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The crazy thing is I think the Nintendo Switch will own the NPD each month in 2019. I mean the momentum of Smash and Let's Go will carry on well into 2019 and we a ridiculous amount of high profile games coming AND the Switch revision.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We should probably wait to see if they hit 20M before predicting if they will or won't reach 30M next fiscal year.
If they managed to wring out 20M units in a pretty slow year with no price cuts, that's super impressive and shows they have a very attractive device that'll sell with good software and especially with an improved unit/price cut

Honestly, even the 18 millions which I predicted would be very impressive given their paltry lineup for the bulk of 2018. The Switch has a crazy potential from a hardware point of view. It's a machine that literally makes some people want to play games they wouldn't otherwise. I mean, I bought fucking Astro Bears Party yesterday and had great fun with my girlfriend (and it was 1 euro, but well...).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The crazy thing is I think the Nintendo Switch will own the NPD each month in 2019. I mean the momentum of Smash and Let's Go will carry on well into 2019 and we a ridiculous amount of high profile games coming AND the Switch revision.
I wouldn't say this is certain at all. People said that for this year and look what happened.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, even the 18 millions which I predicted would be very impressive given their paltry lineup for the bulk of 2018. The Switch has a crazy potential from a hardware point of view. It's a machine that literally makes some people want to play games they wouldn't otherwise. I mean, I bought fucking Astro Bears Party yesterday and had great fun with my girlfriend (and it was 1 euro, but well...).
Having fun with girlfriend is priceless.
Try Snipperclips if you haven't.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how big the discrepancy between sell-through and shipped numbers usually is.
The Americas Q3 2017: 2.83M
USA NPD 2017 (Oct 290K, Nov 780K, Dec 1.5m): 2.57M

Japan Q3 2017: 1.77M
Japan MediaCreate 2017 (Oct , Nov, Dec): 1.52M

But in 2017 switch was supply constrained so this year the difference might be bigger.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

There's no reason it should not. PS4 and XB1 are in their final years and SW is in its peak years (2&3).

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Good stuff. It will only get better from here. Hope we'll see some good things next year.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I did buy 4 switch systems lol. Two for my nieces, one for my brother (his ex kept it) and one for myself that my brother took with him on deployment. Was gonna buy myself another but I'll just wait and see what the revision turns out to be next year.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

I wouldn't be so sure. there are still big games coming like kh3 and dmcv and we don't know the release schedule for nintendo

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Smash Ultimate really is the Inifinity War of video games.

Congrats to Sakurai and his team for creating a wonderful new installment. I'm having a really good time with it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had Fortnite, Warframe, Kirby, Tropical Freeze, Octopath Traveler, Diablo III, Civilization, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Mario Party, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Xenoblade 2 expansion, Dead Cells, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Labo, Wolfestein II... All this year.

It's a hell of a year, actually. If that's a system losing momentum, then I'm super hyped for next year with a system revision, price cuts, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime on the way.

That's it and you didn't even cite everything. But those don't count because those are ports even though many were launched at the same time. Or because they are Wii U titles or because I don't like those titles.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is a wild turnaround coming from the Wii U. I certainly expected Switch to do better than that one, but i was wary when they first showed that it is a hybrid system. Sure showed me that this type of system really works.

But i think the most "brilliant" move was bringing nVidia to the party. Just a guess, but their work on system/APIs were surely one of the reasons that Nintendo was able to finally get official support for most of the major 3rd party engines.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I wouldn't be so sure. there are still big games coming like kh3 and dmcv and we don't know the release schedule for nintendo

I agree but the momentum won't slow down. This won't be like in H1 2018 where there wasn't any major titile until Mario Tennis ( which is not a big title to begin with ). Fow all we know we could have Animal Crossing releasing by June, with Yoshi and Fire Emblem coming before that. And Smash and Let's Go will join Deluxe, Breath of the Wild and Odyssey in the "evergreen mode activated" phase.

Don't get me wrong, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2, Anthem and Devil May Cry 5 will ALL sell very well. But the PS4 and Xbox One are entering decline next year, while the Switch will keep growing.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
Absolutely dreadful result, only faring slightly better than two middling consoles. It's clear to everyone the momentum has been dropped. They will never be able to come back from this. 2019 the Switch will slow down to a crawl with rehashes of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing being the only blibs on the radar. 40 Million is the highest it will go. Analysts agree.

😂

Actually thought you were serious for a sec.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Absolutely dreadful result, only faring slightly better than two middling consoles. It's clear to everyone the momentum has been dropped. They will never be able to come back from this. 2019 the Switch will slow down to a crawl with rehashes of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing being the only blibs on the radar. 40 Million is the highest it will go. Analysts agree.

I'm sure wedbush securities would hire you if they happen to read this post :)

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Thats mighty impressive.
I haven't bought smash yet as noone can anwser my questions whether the "new character" inroduction videoclips of the WiiU version are also present in smash ultimate.

A lot of Europeans are using US accounts now that Nintendo got rid of region-locking, so that also helps the US stats.

yeah but no.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

There are always these weird takes in Nintendo threads that only seem to count for Nintendo systems.

"Ultimate outselling Brawl in Europe is not impressive because people imported Brawl from the US and used free loader discs to play it on their PAL consoles"

"US Ultimate numbers are inflated by people from outside using an US eshop account"

I guess by that logic God of War and Spider-Man numbers were also inflated by people from outside since you can easily make an US account.

Of course it's bullshit because the amount of people importing or using a separate US account to buy these games is negligible.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo overshipped last quarter, there were 9.1 million consoles shipped for 7.1 million consoles sold to consumer, it's 2 million on shelves in the US alone, it's huge, I can see them reach 20 million end of March now.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To me this thing tis the best Nintendo console since the SNES. If they get a new Diddy Kong Racing or a HD remaster or a new F-Zero. It would be my favorite gaming system of all time.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
There are always these weird takes in Nintendo threads that only seem to count for Nintendo systems.

"Ultimate outselling Brawl in Europe is not impressive because people imported Brawl from the US and used free loader discs to play it on their PAL consoles"

"US Ultimate numbers are inflated by people from outside using an US eshop account"

I guess by that logic God of War and Spider-Man numbers were also inflated by people from outside since you can easily make an US account.

Of course it's bullshit because the amount of people importing or using a separate US account to buy these games is negligible.

yeah, I fail to see why a euro should create an US account. japanese account? yes maybe for the lost of exclusives.
Apart from some (bad) Johnny arcade games there isn't anything US eshop exclusive

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Meanwhile Nintendo's stock goes down and down and down, while they report record breaking after record breaking after record breaking. What is wrong with this world?