• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like some of you don't understand that we are almost in the 2020s.

Unironically wishing for a clamshell design, like we are all still using flip phones, or the new Switch pro to be called the " Super Switch" feels like you are stuck a couple of decades in the past.
That's not how modern consumer electronics are designed or named.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The reaction to the switches prices has been quite positive. Sure people want it to be cheaper but they are not badly priced.
I personally think the switch is a bit overpriced, £279 seems a bit much I would feel better at £249.

The vita was better value then the switch at the time.
It had a huge 5inch oled, dual touchscreens, dual analogues, more ram then ps3, ps3-like graphics etc.

I remember a certain tread on the old country that was screaming dead on arrival when the price was announced. Saying that it was positive, especially around here, is revisionist history.

Also the real price of the vita was hidden behind those hella expensive memory cards. It would easily outprice the switch once you added a 32 gb card.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
No its not, the majority thought the price was good.
People thought it was going to be $299 or $349
No. At the time., there were tons of rumors saying that the price would be $249. People started to believe those rumors that when it was announced at $299, a huge negatvie reactioj happned.

The pricing wasn't received positively at all. Even major outlets were put off so it wasn't just an "Gaf/Era" thing

Feb 10, 2018
Nah, Spook is right.....large parts of the EEA/old place audience were straight up offended that the Switch was more than 200 bucks and that Splatoon 1.5/Mario Kart were full price releases lol.

Oh I thought Spork4000 was talking about the vita.
Yeah I agree the switches prices was a bit steep.
But after launch there's been plenty of ppl explaining how the switch is not a bad price because of the joycons, dock, screen etc

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No its not, the majority thought the price was good.
People thought it was going to be $299 or $349

Just googling around I can't find an article that said it was a good price.

But after launch there's been plenty of ppl explaining how the switch is not a bad price because of the joycons, dock, screen etc

Oh, yeah, people were saying the switch them was too expensive, but from a technical perspective the vita was way more overpriced even though the general consensus was that it was a good price. More or less goes to show how completely wrong we can be.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah...Vita's price was amazing especially compared to the 3DS pre-price drop. Same for the PS4 - in terms of hardware prices Sony hasnt missed in a while. Will be interesting to see what the PS5 cost.

Feb 10, 2018

Just googling around I can't find an article that said it was a good price.

Oh, yeah, people were saying the switch them was too expensive, but from a technical perspective the vita was way more overpriced even though the general consensus was that it was a good price. More or less goes to show how completely wrong we can be.

The vita was not overpriced at all at the time it had specs similar to flagship smartphones which were more then double the price.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah...Vita's price was amazing especially compared to the 3DS pre-price drop. Same for the PS4 - in terms of hardware prices Sony hasnt missed in a while. Will be interesting to see what the PS5 cost.

I mean...we thought it was amazing. Definitely great compared to the 3DS, but once you factored in memory cards, which again, you had to have, it went up to the price that people were expecting.

The vita was not overpriced at all at the time it had specs similar to flagship smartphones which were more then double the price.

I was talking more on how much consumers were willing to pay rather than the technical merits of the device. On paper it seemed fine, but like I said further up memory cards brought it up to the price that people were expecting. It did blow the 3DS out of the water at launch though.

Oct 25, 2017
No. At the time., there were tons of rumors saying that the price would be $249. People started to believe those rumors that when it was announced at $299, a huge negatvie reactioj happned.

The pricing wasn't received positively at all. Even major outlets were put off so it wasn't just an "Gaf/Era" thing
Personally was rooting for $249 myself, perhaps $299 with 1 2 switch.
Nintendo couldn't produce switches fast enough and they sold like 3M copies of 1 2 Switch so I guess they were right.

It's the danger of bad rumors/rampant speculation, I guess.
A lot of people are still secretly bitter about being wrong about what NX would be.
Imagine switch ""pro""" just being a slight revision to the OG switch would get a lot of people in the nearly 200 page speculation thread angry too.

But I also want to comment on the revisionist history that everyone thought the switch was going to fail at the reveal.
The reveal trailer had a massively positive reception.
Switch reveal presentation was a bit weird, first confirmed switch game being 1 2 switch, a bad mini game compilation. But arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and Mario Odyssey were all announced there and were to be year 1 titles. BOTW, highly anticipated game of the show winner, was set to be a launch title.

People (even some unfortunate publishers) let themselves be clouded by the Wii U despite Nintendo handhelds always being successful

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo couldn't produce switches fast enough and they sold like 3M copies of 1 2 Switch so I guess they were right.

A lot of people are still secretly bitter about being wrong about what NX would be.
Imagine switch ""pro""" just being a slight revision to the OG switch would get a lot of people in the nearly 200 page speculation thread angry too.

But I also want to comment on the revisionist history that everyone thought the switch was going to fail at the reveal.
Switch reveal presentation was a bit weird, first confirmed switch game being 1 2 switch, a bad mini game compilation. But arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and Mario Odyssey were all announced there and were to be year 1 titles. BOTW, highly anticipated game of the show winner, was set to be a launch title.

People (even some unfortunate publishers) let themselves be clouded by the Wii U despite Nintendo handhelds always being successful

Nah I think it's fair to say the majority on the old site thought the Switch was not going to do amazingly well after the January conference. I doubt many people actually thought "worse than Wii U" (as a few people said) but that conference significantly dragged down the consensus opinion of the Switch, after the October reveal actually did a good job hyping people up.

For most of 2017 people still weren't actually believing the Switch would continue to sell well. They just assigned its early success to BotW (and then later Mario Odyssey).

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I think it's fair to say the majority on the old site thought the Switch was not going to do amazingly well after the January conference. I doubt many people actually thought "worse than Wii U" (as a few people said) but that conference significantly dragged down the consensus opinion of the Switch, after the October reveal actually did a good job hyping people up.

For most of 2017 people still weren't actually believing the Switch would continue to sell well. They just assigned its early success to BotW (and then later Mario Odyssey).
The thread on the old site was hilariously negative, fun to look back at from time to time.

I was also not that positive regarding the price, especially of the accessoires (still am not lol), but all my doubts went away the moment I held one on launch day.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

ARMS was mocked as a Wii Sport Boxing game with many being bitter about the Switch even having motion controllers with stuff like 'motion controls are dead, they didn't learn from the Wii U' and Splatoon was called Splatoon 1.5 and not a true sequel. And everyone was willing to bet their firstborn child that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wouldn't come out in 2017 to the point that they called Nintendo lairs every time the assured the game was indeed launching in 2017.

Only Odyessey and Breath of the Wild was received with complete positive reactions. That and the Switch isn't really a handheld. Even Nintendo called it a console.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Mostly just in small gaming circles based on how big the launch was.

Kind of like this switch lite thread, people had a different idea/product not for them and they couldn't see how something not for them could do well

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I have pro controller, d pad works just fine. That's how I'm playing Mario maker 2. I've owned every console controller except the Xbox one controller. In my opinion the pro controller is my all time favorite.
You're the exception not the rule. The Dpad on the Pro controller is a complete and utter joke made worse by the fact that they still haven't fixed it.

Oct 25, 2017
ARMS was mocked as a Wii Sport Boxing game with many being bitter about the Switch even having motion controllers with stuff like 'motion controls are dead, they didn't learn from the Wii U' and Splatoon was called Splatoon 1.5 and not a true sequel. And everyone was willing to bet their firstborn child that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 wouldn't come out in 2017 to the point that they called Nintendo lairs every time the assured the game was indeed launching in 2017.

Only Odyessey and Breath of the Wild was received with complete positive reactions. That and the Switch isn't really a handheld. Even Nintendo called it a console.
You just need to look at it to know that's not true.
It's a portable home console.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly, I never once suspected that the Switch would be $250 even with the rumors. With the tech I knew about in October, I thought the hardware would be closer to $350. I was actually happy and surprised that it was only $300 and I was shocked that people really believed that a hybrid console that could do subpar PS4 graphic with more modern hardware would only be $250.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You just need to look at it to know that's not true.
It's a portable home console.

It's a console that can be taking on the go, but it isn't a handheld like what Nintendo usually make, so saying it would succeed because Nintendo does well in handhelds is missing the point. The Switch is first and foremost a console. Nintendo calls it a console and it's tracked as a console everywhere. It isn't compared to the Gameboy or the DS.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny to think back of those times when 300$ was considered as a DOA price tag for the Switch since it is selling at a record breaking pace with the same 300$ price tag.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The thread on the old site was hilariously negative, fun to look back at from time to time.

I was also not that positive regarding the price, especially of the accessoires (still am not lol), but all my doubts went away the moment I held one on launch day.
The site had an obvious bias with an agenda to push it seemed like most of the time, but could be wrong. Things are much better here where dumping on others passion/parade thankfully isnt encouraged. Glad console war bs is bannable

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly remember feeling kind of disappointed by the lineup of the original reveal.

Now I'm sold on a Switch, though, after all the indies.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know when the Lite pre-orders will go live on Amazon? It has been up on European Amazon for days now but still nothing on the US site.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a console that can be taking on the go, but it isn't a handheld like what Nintendo usually make, so saying it would succeed because Nintendo does well in handhelds is missing the point. The Switch is first and foremost a console. Nintendo calls it a console and it's tracked as a console everywhere. It isn't compared to the Gameboy or the DS.
NPD dropped the console/handheld distinction because it doesn't matter.
As a hybrid with no 3DS successor in sight, it'll attract the same audience once the price is right.

Once they mentioned Pokémon was coming to switch it was all done.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
NPD dropped the console/handheld distinction because it doesn't matter.
As a hybrid with no 3DS successor in sight, it'll attract the same audience once the price is right.

Once they mentioned Pokémon was coming to switch it was all done.

That's really hard to say for sure since the Switch isn't the same the 3DS or other portables from Nintendo for that matter. For example, unlike the DS the Switch has no game like Nintendogs, Brain Training, or games in general that depends on using the touch scene heavily outside of Mario Maker. Despite the cheaper price, the Switch in general is aimed at a more hardcore audience than the 3DS.

At the end of the say, Switch is still a console.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You mean Super Mario Temple Run?

Oct 25, 2017
That's really hard to say for sure since the Switch isn't the same the 3DS or other portables from Nintendo for that matter. For example, unlike the DS the Switch has no game like Nintendogs, Brain Training, or games in general that depends on using the touch scene heavily outside of Mario Maker. Despite the cheaper price, the Switch in general is aimed at a more hardcore audience than the 3DS.

At the end of the say, Switch is still a console.
3DS sold thanks to traditional Nintendo franchises and not thanks to Nintendogs or brain training.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's not a batch issue. It's been and remains an issue since the start.
Then it must be something more random because i've seen people having input issues like accidental down presses, but I've never experienced something like that even within most intense moments. Is that the issue most people have or are there more?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I am surprised the discussion continued into page 125... It's unheard of when Xbox One and PS4 Pro hardware announcements were revealed.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a little bit of both. And the fact remains that the Switch don't have these types of titles. So it isn't a given that people why have a 3DS will buy a Switch Lite even at the $200 price point.
Far as I know at least Nintendogs & Cats was a launch title and... it did nothing to the point where Nintendo put out a huge discount and implemented the Ambassador Program.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The discussion around the Switch being a home console or a handheld has to be the dumbest thing ever. It's a hybrid. The whole damn point is that it is both. And handhelds are consoles too. Arguing it's only a home console is stupid and became even more apparent with the Lite that has absolutely no TV capability.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Far as I know at least Nintendogs & Cats was a launch title and... it did nothing to the point where Nintendo put out a huge discount and implemented the Ambassador Program.

That was because the 3DS was considered too expensive. You can have good software, but people aren't going to buy if they don't want the hardware. Just look at the Wii U for the most extreme example of that.

Dec 18, 2018
The Vita was more expensive, required you to buy an additional memory card, and was similarly powerful relative to the major consoles at the time. Not sure why the Switch Lite is overpriced whereas the Vita wasn't

Yeah, sixtuple posting is rather unnecessary when you could've just added it all on one post

Considering how console focused this forum is, that doesn't surprise me. Handhelds seem to almost mystify a lot of folk on here, with regards to their appeal
I had a friend the other day,who told me he didn't see the appeal of handheld gaming. I have another friend who is a handheld gamer. I got into handheld gaming years ago when I had a summer job with a lot of down time. The job was great, but the down time were brutal. So I got a gameboy and the time just flew by. I've been a handheld gamer ever since.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The discussion around the Switch being a home console or a handheld has to be the most dumb thing ever. It's a hybrid. The whole damn point is that it is both. And handhelds are consoles too. Arguing it's only a home console is stupid and became even more apparent with the Lite that has absolutely no TV capability.

That really isn't the point. It's classified by Nintendo and even trackers as a console and handhelds have traditionally not been counted as consoles. Otherwise, people wouldn't be saying that the PS2 is the most sold console. So you can't just say 'handhelds are consoles' when nobody called the Gameboy series or the DS Family consoles.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I always saw the original Switch as a handheld first; this reveal has completely changed that, it's now so obviously the successor to the Wii U.

That's of course not true, the original is both a console and a handheld (or actually neither as it's a hybrid...) but it's recontextualised how I see it and how I now plan to use it in the future. Odd.