• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some USB-C to HDMI kind of deal? Yeah we'll find out soon enough.

The original Switch uses a displayport protocol which needs a special hardware crossbar to convert the signal to USB-C before it reaches the dock. We have internal photos of Lite but I haven't seen a conclusive answer on whether that crossbar is included.

If it's not I'm not sure if it would be possible, even for a third party solution.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Are games locking out multiplayer when in handheld mode a rare thing? So far, I have Puyo Puyo Tetris and it does not allow multiplayer unless I remove the joycons. I haven't tested Mario Kart but I heard it has a similar limitation. Just thinking if this would be a problem with the new Switch Lite if I would still like to somehow play multiplayer on 1 device.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Are games locking out multiplayer when in handheld mode a rare thing? So far, I have Puyo Puyo Tetris and it does not allow multiplayer unless I remove the joycons. I haven't tested Mario Kart but I heard it has a similar limitation. Just thinking if this would be a problem with the new Switch Lite if I would still like to somehow play multiplayer on 1 device.

That's weird... though I would think the Lite wouldn't register them as proper joycons? Hopefully they thought through this, though I've never actually heard of this before this post.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird... though I would think the Lite wouldn't register them as proper joycons? Hopefully they thought through this, though I've never actually heard of this before this post.
Wouldn't that mean games like Mario Party (which doesn't work in handheld mode) should somewhat work too out of the box right? Doesn't seem to be the case with the Lite since you would need extra controllers to play the game.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wouldn't that mean games like Mario Party (which doesn't work in handheld mode) should somewhat work too out of the box right? Doesn't seem to be the case with the Lite since you would need extra controllers to play the game.

Mario Party is perfectly playable undocked. It has undocked exclusive mini games even. You will need to connect an external joycon though.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Mario_real_smol_boi.gif

It might still be possible.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

In France, 415k Switch Lite will be available day one : 200k grey, 150k Turquoise, 50K yellow and 15k Pokémon.

Some context:
-As of december 2018, the switch sold 2.04M in the country and Nintendo France aimed to sell at least as much in 2019 than in 2018 (1.13M). During the holyday season, the switch was also confirmed to have done some 100K weeks. The 3DS was at 5.5M total as of the same date.
-Link's awakening will have 200k avaialble copies of the standard edition day one +10k of the limited edition. The game comes out at the same time as the switch Lite.
-Sword and Shield will have 700k available copies day one +15k for the double pack. To compare, both the Let's go games and Sun/Moon had ~600k day one.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone happen to know if you had both a regular Switch and a Switch Lite, can you login to the same account and download your cloud saves, allowing you to go back and forth between both systems?

Oct 25, 2017
Will the Switch Lite come with the same screen improvements as the improvements to the based Switch?

Talking about improved brightness and color accuracy

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, if I wanted one of these as a secondary switch I take travelling, I have to connect to the internet every 3 hours or I can't play stuff? 0_o Like I get needing an online sign in but every 3 hours?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, if I wanted one of these as a secondary switch I take travelling, I have to connect to the internet every 3 hours or I can't play stuff? 0_o Like I get needing an online sign in but every 3 hours?

Yeah, so the play seems to be that you'd make the portable Switch your primary device so that it never has to do the online check, while the one you keep at home won't have a problem checking in via your own wifi.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so the play seems to be that you'd make the portable Switch your primary device so that it never has to do the online check, while the one you keep at home won't have a problem doing it on your own wifi.
Yeah that makes sense, didn't think of that. Hopefully switching the primary device is simple as I have 2 eshop accounts!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Surely there's some form of rumble

What about those rumble exclusive moons in Odyssey?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Quick queries:

Does the regular switch in 'Portable' mode play with the fidelity of 'docked' mode when connected via charging cable?

Also, if the answer is no, then may I surmise that Switch Lite is essentially full time in 'Portable' mode ?

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I worry about is how well those sticks stay clean. That light greyish/white seems like a bad choice of color imo.

Feb 10, 2018
Quick queries:

Does the regular switch in 'Portable' mode play with the fidelity of 'docked' mode when connected via charging cable?

Also, if the answer is no, then may I surmise that Switch Lite is essentially full time in 'Portable' mode ?

Standard switch plays in handheld mode regardless weather its plugged in to usbc or not.
Switch lite only plays in "handheld mode".
The switch lite will appear a lil sharper because it has a higher ppi due to its smaller screen.

Oct 26, 2017
Are those in Joycons?
No the Joy-cons have the HD rumble unit along the bottom but horizontally, it looks quite different, I think they're a fair bit smaller than whatever is in the Switch Lite. It's possible those plastic things could contain a couple of spinning weights each, but I haven't seen a module anything like that to compare it with.

Last edited:

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
No the Joy-cons have the HD rumble unit along the bottom but horizontally, it looks quite different, I think they're a fair bit smaller than whatever is in the Switch Lite. It's possible those plastic things could contain a couple of spinning weights each, but I haven't seen a module anything like that to compare it with.
Do you think these are units for the gyro?

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Have there been any hands-ons? On Gamescom, the handheld was in a glass case... Nevertheless, I don't expect it to be normal rumble

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil

In France, 415k Switch Lite will be available day one : 200k grey, 150k Turquoise, 50K yellow and 15k Pokémon.

Some context:
-As of december 2018, the switch sold 2.04M in the country and Nintendo France aimed to sell at least as much in 2019 than in 2018 (1.13M). During the holyday season, the switch was also confirmed to have done some 100K weeks. The 3DS was at 5.5M total as of the same date.
-Link's awakening will have 200k avaialble copies of the standard edition day one +10k of the limited edition. The game comes out at the same time as the switch Lite.
-Sword and Shield will have 700k available copies day one +15k for the double pack. To compare, both the Let's go games and Sun/Moon had ~600k day one.

More than 400k in France day one????

Wow, i guess that would mean like 2~3 million worldwide?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Starting to swing back toward getting a Lite, again.

God I'm excited. Really hope the d-pad and the sticks work well.

Any info on how HD Rumble is emulated on those?

...Would you need Joycons to get the hidden moons in Odyssey?