• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 7 hours, 30 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced at $199, launches September 20th, "dedicated handheld" (smaller, has D-Pad, has gyro, no HD Rumble, no dock/TV output)

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 783 19.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 883 22.5%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,409 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 852 21.7%

• Total voters

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I'm having second thoughts about the display size. I watched a few videos on my phone (S8+), which displays 16:9 videos with 5.5 inch diagonally. And while 2D games seem fine, stuff like Zelda: Breath of the Wild seems a bit small tbh (and not just the text).
My plan is to buy it and just see how it compares. You can always return.

shark97

Nov 7, 2017
Not at most US retailers. Dunno about other countries, but in the US, most retailers won't accept returns on opened games or consoles, but accessories are typically returnable (controllers, headsets, etc)

i think consoles are returnable at most retailers? sealed games though generally no.

It may be that you have to return it for another of the same console rather than a refund though? Cant remember. Basically protects you if it's broken but not if you change your mind.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
My plan is to buy it and just see how it compares. You can always return.
Oh well, I kind of did that today, lol. Bought the new Switch on a whim, and while I mostly liked it... I couldn't get over those "D-pad" buttons. Maybe something was faulty with my unit, because the buttons made these really loud CLICK noises when I pressed them. It was sooo distracting. That's why I returned it after only 2 hours. I really hope the Switch Lite D-pad is better than this.

Mar 3, 2018
Well, looks like I’m gonna wait until this is released to give it s try.

I ordered a switch from amazon last week and played with it for a few days until the screen started flickering and then basically half the screen disappeared eventually :((

Thankfully I sent it back to amazon and was given a full refund today without any issues. At this point I’m gonna wait for the lite and see how it is and decide whether I want the normal one again or this.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on what Amazon UK's stock allocation is like? My boyfriend is putting in his pre-order over the next couple of days but I'm a bit concerned Amazon won't have enough units come launch day.

Gunblade47

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Switch Lite popping up in U.S. commercials. This first one especially is fucking smart.

I might be mistaken but wont Mario Party be incompattible with a switch lite if the user doesn't atleast buy seperate joy cons? It's an incredibly weird game to advertise here. Could've easily used smash bros instead.

Intoxicate

Oct 30, 2018
I couldn't get over those "D-pad" buttons. Maybe something was faulty with my unit, because the buttons made these really loud CLICK noises when I pressed them. I really hope the Switch Lite D-pad is better than this.
The buttons are real buttons, not D-pad style rubber + circuit board. The Lite has that instead of real buttons and the first reviews stated the buttons feel mushier, think Pro Controller vs JoyCon.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I might double dip if there are some hacks to connect the switch lite to TV. If only Nintendo Saves system are better than what we currently have.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really dumb not having that case out at launch. I'm sure a 1000 chinese peripheral makers will have knock-offs of it out soon. I'll gladly pay 50-75 percent less than what Nintendo will charge.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Any word on what Amazon UK's stock allocation is like? My boyfriend is putting in his pre-order over the next couple of days but I'm a bit concerned Amazon won't have enough units come launch day.
should be fine, do you know which colour he is getting? Turquoise seems to be the most popular colour so if any was to have stock issues, it would be that one.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
I'm finally jumping in and getting a switch with fire emblem. Don't know what else I should get, I'll probably buy some indie stuff and BOTW since i havent played it i guess

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I love SRPGs, 2D platformers, and fighting games.

I'll have to check rabbids out
In terms of exclusives you are probably looking at

SRPG
Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids

Fighting games
Smash Bros

Maybe Pokken, ARMS or Mario Tennis. All are good fighting games but you should try before you buy.

2D platformers

Essential: Mario Maker 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze,

Worth you time: Too many to count Nintendo loves pushing out 2D platformers to fill lineup holes. Plus indies plus SNES online

In terms of when to buy what. I’d start with Smash and Mario Maker (I prefer DK but MM with online is too much variety not to recommend getting first)

Mario + Rabbids is a Ubisoft game and regularly gets heavily discounted so get the gold edition when it’s 50-70% off.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of exclusives you are probably looking at

SRPG
Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids

Fighting games
Smash Bros

Maybe Pokken, ARMS or Mario Tennis. All are good fighting games but you should try before you buy.

2D platformers

Essential: Mario Maker 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze,

Worth you time: Too many to count Nintendo loves pushing out 2D platformers to fill lineup holes. Plus indies plus SNES online

In terms of when to buy what. I’d start with Smash and Mario Maker (I prefer DK but MM with online is too much variety not to recommend getting first)

Mario + Rabbids is a Ubisoft game and regularly gets heavily discounted so get the gold edition when it’s 50-70% off.
Ok cool I will check all of those out. Thank you

Altera

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone use more than one Switch currently with the same account? Like a lot of people, I'm strongly considering getting a lite and making my current Switch TV only, but I'm wondering how well that would work.

feonando

Mar 26, 2019
Does anyone use more than one Switch currently with the same account? Like a lot of people, I'm strongly considering getting a lite and making my current Switch TV only, but I'm wondering how well that would work.
The Switch that you take everywhere should be the primary, so you can play offline. Any other additional Switch (like the one that never leaves the house) becomes secondary as it would need an active online connection.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The Switch that you take everywhere should be the primary, so you can play offline. Any other additional Switch (like the one that never leaves the house) becomes secondary as it would need an active online connection.
The counterpoint to this is if you have people with distinct accounts, but only one account buys the digital games (like a family). The "home" console is probably the shared one and needs to be primary so people can play with their own accounts. I'm debating this right now.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Lite popping up in U.S. commercials. This first one especially is fucking smart.

Nice I liked both, but the first one was great. Nintendo is killing it with the Switch marketing. I don’t know wtf they were thinking with the Wii U and it’s messaging. It’s a night and day difference.

DagsJT

Oct 29, 2017
Can’t shake the feeling that I should pick this up and sell my OG Switch. I mostly play docked at the moment as I find the handheld a bit too unwieldy and uncomfortable after a while. I’m also thinking I should keep my TV usage for Xbox games and make the most of the TV time playing games I can only play on TV.

So getting the Lite will make sure I get the best usage of the Xbox and make the Switch more comfortable for handheld.

Obviously it’d be a shame to lose docking, my wife likes the odd game of Overcooked and my 4-year old likes the odd game of Mario Kart but I could let my daughter play handheld if need be.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
The counterpoint to this is if you have people with distinct accounts, but only one account buys the digital games (like a family). The "home" console is probably the shared one and needs to be primary so people can play with their own accounts. I'm debating this right now.
In that case I'd just create a hotspot through a smartphone to pass the online check while on the go.