• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quoting for the new page

This is the first time I get a Nintendo console that's getting support where I live, in a LONG time.

I'm in love with this damn thing. It looks gorgeous, the games it gets are gorgeous, the whole thing is amazing.

But...

I think I got one of the consoles with the shitty d-pads, I tried ALttP and I can definitely relate to how diagonals are really hard to press. I got the console from EB Canada, they won't cause issues with exchanging the console, right? I hope they'll let me just kind of open the box there and check it on the spot for the return.

The damn thing is a dream come true besides the outright defective d-pad. Honestly I'm glad that it is at least not an inherent issue.

Is there any way to measure or quantify the malfunction of the d-pad?

I'm anxious about returning it, I hope it goes well.

This is a stupid ass question but is there any vid out there of how the d-pad is *supposed to* work like?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
FWIW, I just tested my speakers on Superbeat Xonic and at max volume the thing is absolutely BLARING at the title screen. I'll have to download the SNES games to test LttP for diagonals on the dpad.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I get a Nintendo console that's getting support where I live, in a LONG time.

I'm in love with this damn thing. It looks gorgeous, the games it gets are gorgeous, the whole thing is amazing.

But...

I think I got one of the consoles with the shitty d-pads, I tried ALttP and I can definitely relate to how diagonals are really hard to press. I got the console from EB Canada, they won't cause issues with exchanging the console, right? I hope they'll let me just kind of open the box there and check it on the spot for the return.

The damn thing is a dream come true besides the outright defective d-pad. Honestly I'm glad that it is at least not an inherent issue.

Is there any way to measure or quantify the malfunction of the d-pad?

I'm anxious about returning it, I hope it goes well.

This is a stupid ass question but is there any vid out there of how the d-pad is *supposed to* work like?

I made this video to show how mine are working in case you want to test how yours compares.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, unfortunately not.
No, but the speakers at max volume vibrate the console.
No, but Nintendo still has rumble defaulted to on in the settings menu. I assumed they'd be smarter than that and have a UI that's been modified for the Lite and not display settings clearly meant for the OG Switch, but oh well.
Thanks. I guess I'll hold off on trading in my Switch fir the Lite.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes I just tried mine with Zelda LTTP. It's terrible.

Initializing the console now and will send it back. Man, I love it otherwise. It's exactly what I'd want out of a Switch.

I'll go back to never using my old one and hope they fix this at some point.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes I just tried mine with Zelda LTTP. It's terrible.

Initializing the console now and will send it back. Man, I love it otherwise. It's exactly what I'd want out of a Switch.

I'll go back to never using my old one and hope they fix this at some point.
Man, that's so bizarre. I can't imagine what could be leading to these discrepancies in a dpad.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I wonder if this run of 'faulty' D-pads is some kind of trivial assembly error that could be fixable without having to replace the unit. Like the geometry of the D-pad itself is slightly off in one batch of parts, or the rubber contact pads are oriented the wrong way or offset or something. It's unlikely to be a fundamental contacts design issue like there was on the Pro Controller.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wow. I wonder if there's even a different serial number or way to figure out what was manufactured where.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a somewhat general question- is it possible to get a wired Internet connection through the charging port, through some adapter or something?

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a somewhat general question- is it possible to get a wired Internet connection through the charging port, through some adapter or something?
Yeah I was able to rig up a Frankenstein's monster of adapters to get an Ethernet cable attached to the one I bought for my sister. I used a USB C to USB A adapter then used a USB A to Ethernet adapter and that did the trick.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Should be the same way as the original Switch in that regard, the only feature removed was the video output. USB devices like controllers and ethernet adapters should still connect and work fine.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was able to rig up a Frankenstein's monster of adapters to get an Ethernet cable attached to the one I bought for my sister. I used a USB C to USB A adapter then used a USB A to Ethernet adapter and that did the trick.
Amazing, thanks!

Should be the same way as the original Switch in that regard, the only feature removed was the video output. USB devices like controllers and ethernet adapters should still connect and work fine.
Great to hear! Follow up question- are there ethernet-to-USB C adapters out there? :p

Thanks to both of you

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Couple of questions.

- Does Switch Lite support 5.0ghz Wi-fi?
- Can you wirelessly pair joycons to it?
- Any consensus on if the smaller screen actually impacts perception of aliasing?

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
No, but Nintendo still has rumble defaulted to on in the settings menu. I assumed they'd be smarter than that and have a UI that's been modified for the Lite and not display settings clearly meant for the OG Switch, but oh well.

It's the rumble setting for JoyCons, so if you pair JoyCons with the Lite, rumble is on by default for them.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of questions.

- Does Switch Lite support 5.0ghz Wi-fi?
- Can you wirelessly pair joycons to it?
- Any consensus on if the smaller screen actually impacts perception of aliasing?
Yes, Yes, and too early to tell, but I know Link's Awakening looks amazing to me, and I'm usually a stickler for native res.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to do now. I would like to play my OG Switch portable but I find it to be uncomfortable.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Anecdotal, but I saw three different parents at Target but a Lite for their kids. I'm expecting great sales by the end of the fiscal year. Almost bought one myself, but I just know Nintendo will come out with an Animal Crossing Switch Lite, that is when I will bite.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, I just tested my speakers on Superbeat Xonic and at max volume the thing is absolutely BLARING at the title screen. I'll have to download the SNES games to test LttP for diagonals on the dpad.
For me, the loudness varies from game to game. On max volume Street Fighter Collection doesn't sound anywhere near as loud as River City Girls.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Damn wtf is with Nintendo and dpads? They invented these fuckers and forgot how to make them.

I remember when the Lite was unveiled, the d-pad was a concern for some people here and honestly I thought they were being alarmist. I thought there was no way Nintendo would repeat the mistake they made with the Pro controller with the Lite.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really want to like the Lite, but so many glaring issues. Going return to my Lite and try once more for a good unit. If it still has issues, I'll just pass on it. From super low volume speakers, drifting joysticks, dead pixels, bad dpads, you're just rolling the dice on whether or not you get a decent unit.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I legitimately can't decide between the colours. Sat on the order screen.

Turqouise was my go-to but worried it'll be a bit 'much'.
Yellow was initially a no-no but seeing it in photos here makes it more attractive, it's a nice shade. Same as above though.
Grey I like the look of and like that it won't draw from the content on-screen at all (being dark). White and the dark grey is nice.

In a rut!

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the lite has the Igzo screen. I believe DF mentioned it was more efficient which I believe is a property of an Igzo screen. Could this be it?...

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn wtf is with Nintendo and dpads? They invented these fuckers and forgot how to make them.

I remember when the Lite was unveiled, the d-pad was a concern for some people here and honestly I thought they were being alarmist. I thought there was no way Nintendo would repeat the mistake they made with the Pro controller with the Lite.

what's the problem with the pro controller's dpad? i have over 100 victories in tetris 99 Invictus Mode and i don't think i ever had a problem with the dpad. Launch controller too.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
what's the problem with the pro controller's dpad? i have over 100 victories in tetris 99 Invictus Mode and i don't think i ever had a problem with the dpad. Launch controller too.
The issue I have is the pro controller incorrectly inputting up/down when I'm pressing left and right. It makes Tetris infuriating to play. I'm glad you aren't having issues but it's a well known flaw in the controllers design.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

You're lucky then. Mine is broken AF. while playing astral chain, I often trigger photomode when changing weapon mode... I don't even mention tetris, which is totally unplayable.