• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
If family sharing was an option I would be all over this.

You can use the same account on different Switches, but you can only play on one at the same time with this account. You can always play on your main Switch, but other Switches that use the same account must at least every 3 hours connect to the internet to check if the main account is used, if so games of this account on the other Switch(es) Go to pause.

Its the most consumer friendly family sharing of the current consoles (Switch, PS4, XOne), but it has obviously disadvantages for the secondary accounts.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So question for those who have used the transfer save data to move save games between Switches...how long does it take? I'm picking up one for my wife, and we plan to play Pokemon Sword and Shield concurrently, so it'd be nice to know how long we'll be waiting to transfer our Pokemon saves between systems. Also is their any limit to how many transfers you can do?

I've only messed with it once to test it on my main switch but the backup and restore process seemed pretty much instant. Open the game menu > cloud saves > Confirm and it was done.

Redwing19

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo, it's a hybrid.
Nintendo. The product title. The logo animation. The original pitch. The most unique selling point.

You are correct in saying the Switch is a hybrid console. If you want a hybrid console that can go from playing on a TV to handheld, you have the option to buy one still.

Hence why Nintendo is calling this a Switch Lite. Cheaper, smaller, and handheld only. More options is better.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn...I wanted to connect it to my TV, and hook up my pro-controller, for instance. Dat d-pad makes me jealous cause I play my switch in handheld mode 80% of the time 😢

The design is really cool, but ultimately this isn't for me. I would have picked this up if they released a dock for it. The yellow one looks great.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
No docked mode might point towards better internals. You wouldn't want your 200€ device playing games better than your 300€ device.

solidsnakeiv

Dec 28, 2017
I gotta say...might be okay for my 4-year-old, but damn...it seems like you are losing a lot to save $100 over the other model. I will be sticking with my launch model for now

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I've only messed with it once to test it on my main switch but the backup and restore process seemed pretty much instant. Open the game menu > backup cloud saves > Confirm and it was done.

Yes, but that's for Cloud saves (which Pokemon probably won't support). I'm talking about wireless transfer of saves between systems, which was added in the April update.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
AxdiXZqom35WAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

The size difference is negligible as fuck when you account for the tablet and the 2nd joycon, which leaves me wondering: what exactly is the point of this version? 200 dollars is still pricey for the segment that you're going after (especially when they bought the 2DS for much cheaper than $200), and the elimination of features makes this arguably a worse value proposition than if you simply bought the base model.

It's replacing the 3DS. Ya know that thing that sold tens of millions of units.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually follow the Switch news, so I'm shocked to learn here that there is no D-Pad on the original console. What happened ?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no engineer, but I wonder if having the TV Out was really that expensive. Even if they just put it there but didn't offer a dock so people could just buy it in the future if they wanted one.

Still, I'm sure this thing will sell. That's a great price.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

The size difference is negligible as fuck when you account for the tablet and the 2nd joycon, which leaves me wondering: what exactly is the point of this version? 200 dollars is still pricey for the segment that you're going after (especially when they bought the 2DS for much cheaper than $200), and the elimination of features makes this arguably a worse value proposition than if you simply bought the base model.

I also think that this is a miss by Nintendo; with all the functionalities which have been removed, 150-170$ would have been a better price.
Now, as I'm clearly not the target audience of this machine, maybe that I'm completely wrong and it's going to sell like hot cakes. But as It is,it's really a poor offering in my opinion.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you could dock it, it wouldnt cost 200, just wait until the enhanced version next year

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Switch can already do this. My fiancee and I both have Switches, with both of our accounts on both consoles. I can play my games on either Switch, as long as I have internet connection on the "non-primary" console.

Sounds good. Hopefully they will make the cloud saves sync as soon as the machines sniff wi-fi.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017

I have a friend who wants a smaller switch that they can carry around in their bag easier.

On another note, do we think Super Mario Odyssey will get an update to allow better support with setup of the Switch lite?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Its the most consumer friendly family sharing of the current consoles (Switch, PS4, XOne), but it has obviously disadvantages for the secondary accounts.

How is it more consumer friendly than Xbox which let's you share your whole digital library and gold access with another Xbox? Is it because you can use it offline for 3 hours on the other unit?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason to run 'in handheld mode', Mariko is not running a cut down Tegra. USB-C display out also supports USB-C power delivery with the correct display out adapter. Just attach the charging cable to the USB-C port on the display out adapter.

The Switch dock is just a USB-C display out adapter with a little bit of DRM.

The problem isn't output, it's heat for higher rendered output. This unit is far too small to handle the heat profile we see out of a docket switch, and with tigher spacing and less flow it would be even worse at heat dissipation than the current switch.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So are we still expecting a Pro because Gamestop is making a pretty compelling argument for me to side-grade. I want that better battery life...
PAhB9nX.png

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if I were in the market I would probably opt for the regular model on sale or used for $250 or so, but I'm thrifty like that.

If the lite were maybe $30 cheaper it would be more of a no brainer.

I guess I feel there's a price imbalance between the two models.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
And that's lovely, this product is not for you. But having something cheaper also means you lose features. This is just the way products work.

Sure but in this case the functionality is still there in the Tegra + USBC tech. It just doesn't dock because they didn't make a dock for it. I just expected the Lite to be dockable. Doesn't matter if you sell that dock separately or make it shaped in such a way that it works with regular docks. No need for the snark.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I like the colors and design. If I didn't have a Switch, I'd pick this version. However, as I current owner, the only justification to buying it would be the d-pad. So I'll keep my original.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the heat distribution on a smaller switch would absolutely murder it in docked mode. Regular Switch gets hot enough as it is, Lite would probably melt.
Perhaps nintendo could engineer a better product rather than resorting to removing a core feature? I also don't see why it can't just mirror the display output to a TV. That seems like a fair trade off.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
For the device it would have been nice if this was 150 without the TV dock.

Oh well.

Looks perfect for kids.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, why would you want HD Rumble on a portable? Sure rumble is fine but rumble while looking a the screen ? Not fine.

Sure the 3ds had a semi rumble and i hated it

Oct 28, 2017
I actually really like the concept of this, but I'm shocked at how many core features (USPs) are missing here: removable joycons, kick-stand, HD rumble, docked play, instant local multiplayer.

They are systemi choices. No joycons automatically mean no HD rumble. No tabletop mode eliminates the need for a kickstand.

You can still do local multiplayer as joycons will still sync to the lite, it is not ideal on the smaller screen and no kickstand is cumbersome.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Was looking forward to a Switch Lite that was more portable, but this isnt what I wanted. Needs to dock. Too worried about small text and the early impression article about text being hard to read at times is a no-go for me. Regular Switch despite all of its problems looks like a better option for me personally. My kid is going to love the Lite though.

Oct 30, 2017

I can understand why TV out isn't there.
When it's docked it can get a higher power draw so can pump up the performance to boot and needs more cooling. So a game goes from 520p portable to 720p docked.

I just kind of wish I could still have the TVout but it sticks to 520p
I did have a switch and was 95% handheld so I wasn't too attached to it (but it was handy)
I sold though as I needed cash short term

Also bummed at the smaller screen