• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a consumer, not a shareholder. Looking at Switch Lite, I don't find it an enticing proposition at that price point, especially when compared to the docked/original SKU.

to tempt me, it needs to be cheaper.
You don't have to. Whether or not the model at its price point is appealing to you in particular is irrelevant. It's going to sell a ton to a lot of other people

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
damn it i just saw the words Lite Switch on reddit and now it's stuck in my head.

bnbtHlM.gif

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Why would it run any different than a normal Switch? Even if it's running a newer, lower process Tegra, docking it won't change much. All we know that this cuts down on, to cut costs, is removing the hardware for detaching the joycons, removing the HD Rumble, using a smaller screen and ditching the TV out, which is literally a software thing.

Right, and those being extra, in this case, is fine. If it's about choices, let me choose to go with a purely handheld one like this that I can then buy a dock, extra controller, etc for. Or entice people to buying a second switch that already works with their existing equipment. I have 2 docks as it is and this would be an easy, cheaper family edition (and addition) for me. Hell, I'd buy a dockless Switch for $250 for that, alone, if they decided to market it that way at some point.

So buy a normal switch. I don't see the problem. Don't buy this if it doesn't work for you. Nintendo is not getting rid of the original Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like,
"Yes you can, but you need to buy separate joycons."

If you already owned the OG Switch, you don't need to buy separate joycons.
Mario Party supports tabletop play? then yea, it's probably simpler, but I go in expecting they mean tv play. most customers don't want to spend the time to get the nuances of "tabletop play"

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen anyone hate it but we are puzzled by the removal of a core feature of the switch, it just makes no sense just like the people defending it's removal.

The core feature of the Switch didn't make much sense to a lot of folks from this community back when it was announced. I think Nintendo has a handle on it

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Price is good, but a 5.5 inch screen is kind of disappointing to me. I'd probably still get it as my first switch though

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Looks nice and cute. I love the colors, especially the turquoise. I can't understand people who time and time again are unable to realize that not every product is for them. We knew this was coming.
I mostly play docked and I really like HD rumble so I don't see myself buying this anytime soon. However, this holiday it will sell like hotcakes. The 3DS is dead when it comes to new releases, they needed a cheaper and more kid-friendly model of the Switch on the market. Somebody has got to buy Mario Kart 8 five million more times.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Great for those looking for a cheaper alternative, especially with that sweet dpad. It's gonna sell like like hot cookies.
But I'm gonna stick to my launch unit because: the difference in size is negligible, and my current Switch is already homebrew'd. Also, HD Rumble when utilized properly, adds a lot to the experience.
I don't care about the lack of TV connectivity at all, because I play exclusively in handheld mode anyway.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The inability to dock on a TV and play local multiplayer on a single machine is very disappointing, but the price does make up for it... I think I might get this then. So many games I wanna play on the Switch, though I always imagined playing those on a TV screen. Hmm.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Imma wait for the special edition Animal Crossing or Pokemon editions. I dont like the three colors coming at launch.
Give me a Luigi green or Silver please

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So buy a normal switch. I don't see the problem. Don't buy this if it doesn't work for you. Nintendo is not getting rid of the original Switch.
Seriously? You're missing the point. If I could buy a $200 lite and have it dock, even if the game doesn't act like it's in docked mode on a regular Switch, it would be very useful and I'm still wondering why the eff the removed that feature when it served pretty much no purpose of savings.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
There are a few moons that are buried and as you move around an area, you'll get a stronger vibration the closer you are to it. If you are just to the left of it, you'll feel more vibration on that joycon. Once you move directly over where the moon is buried you'll feel vibrations in both joycons.

Oh cool, I see why the vibration would be needed.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So there wouldn't be any way for me to use the same save game on my normal switch and keep on playing on a switch lite when playing Pokemon right?
The Switch now has an individual game save transfer feature. So, yes, you can. Would require having both Switches on at the same time

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The inability to dock on a TV and play local multiplayer on a single machine is very disappointing, but the price does make up for it... I think I might get this then. So many games I wanna play on the Switch, though I always imagined playing those on a TV screen. Hmm.
The regular Switch is almost certainly going to go on sale on Black Friday, so consider holding off until then if docked Switch is important for you

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Speaking about the colours, I would usually go for turquoise (that's what I choose for the OG 3DS) but there's something weirdly appealing about the yellow version, it combines really well with the light grey buttons/triggers so I think I will choose yellow.

Last edited:

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
I haven't seen anyone hate it but we are puzzled by the removal of a core feature of the switch, it just makes no sense just like the people defending it's removal.

You see core features, I see gimmick. Nintendo ditching them is just a confirmation you were in the wrong to consider joy-cons and dockability as core features.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
They are systemi choices. No joycons automatically mean no HD rumble. No tabletop mode eliminates the need for a kickstand.

You can still do local multiplayer as joycons will still sync to the lite, it is not ideal on the smaller screen and no kickstand is cumbersome.

The no kickstand is the most surprising to me, as you'll still be able to link up Joycons/Pro Controllers and play multiplayer on the go. It seems like it would have been silly to not add in, considering it's literally a flip-up hinge (and doubles as the SD card flap on the OG Switch, which makes it doubly puzzling...why not just keep it in if it'll have an SD card slot anyway?)

Then again, it'd just require a carrying around a small piece of plastic to fix (which I'm sure third parties will make compatible ones). Still annoying though.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The core feature of the Switch didn't make much sense to a lot of folks from this community back when it was announced. I think Nintendo has a handle on it
ok? doesn't change my thoughts of a lack of docking in this is a mistake and nintendo definitely isn't perfect and has made tons of mistakes.

You see core features, I see gimmick. Nintendo ditching them is just a confirmation you were in the wrong to consider joy-cons and dockability as core features.
lol HD rumble is a gimmick, Joy Con's are not, Docking is not, they are a core part of the switch and I can guarentee you the switch pro will have those features because this one is a paired down version doesn't make me wrong when I say that. Nintendo made a mistake by making this version unable to dock.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Seriously? You're missing the point. If I could buy a $200 lite and have it dock, even if the game doesn't act like it's in docked mode on a regular Switch, it would be very useful and I'm still wondering why the eff the removed that feature when it served pretty much no purpose of savings.

Already explained in this thread why docking was removed. Please do a search.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
"Bu-but, you can't ditch the dock, it wouldn't be a Switch if it can't be docked".
"Bu-but, Joy-cons are so fantastic, Nintendo can't ditch them, plus you need them for 1,2 Switch"
"Bu-but, no real D-pad needed, you can play Celeste and Hollow Knight with the joysticks, it works great".

Thanks god Nintendo didn't listen. That's what the Switch should have been from Day 1.

That's probably the best decision Nintendo made regarding the Switch. I can feel the salt from some people who told everyone that a Switch without joy-cons, without dock, would never be possible because of the "brand" and the "logo" of the Switch. Here we are. So much market read.

Resetera doubt it, it will sell a lot.
It's [current year] and people on gaming comunities still think that Nintendo will ever, ever, ever have any bigger priorities than being able to sell a cheap portable handheld with big profit margins and Pokemon/Animal Crossing games to Japanese children and families.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
There's only one thing concerning me with this, the Switch portable play already leaves me with cramp in my hands.

This is smaller, with a longer battery life, I'm guessing this is targeting the younger gamer...

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Damn...I wanted to connect it to my TV, and hook up my pro-controller, for instance. Dat d-pad makes me jealous cause I play my switch in handheld mode 80% of the time 😢

The design is really cool, but ultimately this isn't for me. I would have picked this up if they released a dock for it. The yellow one looks great.

I'm in the same boat, I have extra controllers already and have considered getting a second dock for my bedroom tv. I would have bought this with a "mini dock" in a heartbeat. I'm tired of sharing the console with my kids lol.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
In addition to kids (and price-sensitive parents), I think this product is primarily aimed at Japan and other regions where handhelds rule. It's cheaper, smaller, and for the last several years the Japanese have preferred handheld platforms so I think this will do quite well there.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So are we still expecting a Pro because Gamestop is making a pretty compelling argument for me to side-grade. I want that better battery life...
PAhB9nX.png
Oh wow that's a really good deal. I wonder what the trade in value will be when the Lite launches. I'm having too much fun with Mario Maker to be switchless for 2 months.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
No TV output is ridiculous IMHO. Is usb-c to hdmi a thing?