• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is the strangest thread I've seen on this site.

By the sounds of things, some of you just want a regular Switch? If so, just purchase a regular Switch?

Or were you perhaps thinking that the Switch Lite (Mini) was somehow going to be an upgrade to the regular Switch?

I'm beyond confused by some of these posts.

This seems great for younger kids. I'd be 100% down for getting my Newphew this. He had a blast with the Nintendo 2DS.

I want a better Switch with a better d-pad and no detachable joycons. The Mini appears to solve those problems, but at the cost of not being a "Switch" anymore. WTF.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch are designed for TV in a bad way, with text that is far too small to comfortably read in handheld mode. Rocket League, Football Manager, a bunch of others.
But flagship games like Zelda seem like tv experiences. Maybe I'm wrong though, considering there is a better level of intimacy of playing handheld.

What about performance? Isn't handheld mode poorer performance. Why couldn't they somehow allow for tv output even if through selling of an additional accessory

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
On the NA eShop I'm seeing 2256 games. I have no idea how many of them are DLC or bundles or rereleases but I can't imagine it's too many. They officially announced there are over 2000 games in that ad yesterday, I don't think they would lie about that.

Ok this explains why I struggle to sift through all the crap in shop and find something worth buying, no wonder!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait people are upset by this? This seems like a great option for those that wanted a more portable Switch. If you want to use a dock so fucking bad buy the normal Switch or wait for it's upgrade.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
But flagship games like Zelda seem like tv experiences. Maybe I'm wrong though, considering there is a better level of intimacy of playing handheld.

What about performance? Isn't handheld mode poorer performance. Why couldn't they somehow allow for tv output even if through selling of an additional accessory

Big agree!

Handheld mode does run at a lower performance profile. They could absolutely allow for docked play, they just chose not to. They get that functionality for free with the Tegra, they just have to wire up the USB-C connector and put a fan in a plastic housing and sell it for $80.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

By the sounds of things, some of you just want a regular Switch? If so, just purchase a regular Switch?

Or were you perhaps thinking that the Switch Lite (Mini) was somehow going to be an upgrade to the regular Switch?

This seems great for younger kids. I'd be 100% down for getting my Newphew this. He had a blast with the Nintendo 2DS.
People are afraid of buying a regular switch when a pro model is lurking around the corner.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is gained from defending artificial limitations?

I bet you were one of the people complaining about the Witcher even existing on Switch

Clearly there is an audience for the Lite lol. They cut features and adjusted price accordingly, and it'll be marketed towards a different demographic. The original option still exists. What is gained by attacking more options?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Love how it looks. And it has an actual d-pad

Since the screen is a bit smaller, it could have a higher pixel density right?

Games will look a bit more crisp :)

I will leave my current one in a dock-only configuration, and keep this new model as the "on the go" model.

Cloud saves mean that I can keep playing the same game in both consoles right?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw the video, I was all in. The colors, the D-Pad, etc. Then as I started watching, I became less excited.

After thinking about it, I think the Switch Lite is a bad value proposition at $199 relative to the $299 Switch.

1. Yes, it's smaller, but it's not THAT much smaller. This isn't a device you can easily slip into your pocket.

2. Lack of Joycons. This was expected, but it literally means some games just won't be playable. And with the Switch, you get 2 of these, which is basically an extra controller.

3. Not dockable. A Switch that doesn't Switch.

If this console was smaller, or could dock, then I think it would be worth it. But for an extra $100, you get so much more with the OG Switch - full game comptability, extra controller, dockable, larger screen, etc. There's this border around the screen of the Lite where it seems they could have easily made the screen larger, but didn't.

If I were a prospective Switch buyer, and was looking for a system to primarily use as a handheld system, I would still go with the OG Switch. I think the massively expanded functionality, compatibility, and extra controllers are worth the $100. And I think it's this versatility that led people to buying the OG Switch to begin with.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I can't imagine many (sane) people would have much interest in playing CTR on 4 player split-screen where every player has an inch of screen real estate anyways but I've been wrong before.

Let's not use ableist language. There is a better way to say that wanting to play 4 player split-screen on a tiny screen is odd and non-mainstream than.....doing what you did.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If one island per Switch is true in Animal Crossing, this is the way to go for having multiple islands. I'm in.

Does not have detachable JoyCons (though JoyCons can be paired), can't be docked to the TV, no HD rumble
Has D-Pad!

Nice to able to sync a pro controller. I sure there will be accessories for the Lite to have a stand on the back.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Little Nincels continue being an embarrassment

Y'all wanted a portable only switch and now you got one but now you want it to be exactly the same as the original switch that launched back in 2017?

I have to laugh!

dY6N6Wk.gif
The end of an era

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I bet you were one of the people complaining about the Witcher even existing on Switch

Clearly there is an audience for the Lite lol. They cut features and adjusted price accordingly, and it'll be marketed towards a different demographic. The original option still exists. What is gained by attacking more options?

No, I was not.

I am attacking Nintendo artificially limiting this option, and I am attacking them for not introducing DPI scaling to the system (so as to allow more games to be playable by more people in handheld mode).

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This model is more or less everything the speculation thread predicted, right.down to pricing , no dock included , no detachable joycons and no tv pls

Good work folks. I'm really interested to see what SoC is powering this.

It's using a 20% smaller battery than OH Switch but playtime is around 30% longer (4 hours BOTW vs 3 hours). So that's a 50% power boost in portable mode for a Switch Pro targeting the same battery life as OG and with a larger battery.

Who knows about docked, since it runs cooler they could go for over 50%

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
This thing sucks. It removes all the unique features of the Switch now it's just a standard handheld.

I guess it's for people who wanted a 2DS though.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
This model is more or less everything the speculation thread predicted, right.down to pricing , no dock included , no detachable joycons and no tv pls

Good work folks. I'm really interested to see what SoC is powering this.

It's using a 20% smaller battery than OH Switch but playtime is around 30% longer (4 hours BOTW vs 3 hours). So that's a 50% efficiency boost in portable mode for a Switch Pro targeting the same battery life as OG and with a larger battery.

Who knows about docked, since it runs cooler they could go for over 50%

Yeah, it seems to imply a die shrink is at hand.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
They should've kept the joycons and tv-mode, that's the whole point of the switch, but I can see how this is made for a younger audience that will mostly play Pokemon on it.

It's also made for all of us who were waiting for a cheaper, smaller switch with no tv out, that's the main reason I didn't buy one till now.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
What an awful hot take. Nintendo Switch Lite doesn't exist to correct design mistakes of og Switch. It exists to add a cheaper entry point into the echo system.

Yet, we have a Nintendo Switch without Dock and without Joy-cons. Why would you consider those "core features" if they release a model without them ? The reason is simple : there aren't core feature and Nintendo confirmed it today.

Good business decisions are way more important than pleasing some hardcore fans that overpraise gimmick most don't care about.

A 200€ Switch mini without those awful Joy-cons, a proper D-pad and a better form factor is a killer move. You can even expect this model to overthrown the classic OG model quickly in the future.

I think the main problem is many people on internet were trying to convince everybody and themselves that a Switch without dock and without joy-cons wouldn't happen. Trying to convince people Nintendo removing the 3D from the 3DS was different, etc. It's ok to be wrong, people misread Nintendo intent hard.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people are so negative on this. It's not replacing the original Switch.

+ $100 less than the original Switch. This is a big deal for a lot of people. Obviously it doesn't matter to the enthusiasts here that already own tens or hundreds of (expensive!) games on the Switch.​
+ 33% improved battery life is great. The original Switch was very disappointing in that regard, and only lasted a couple of hours (3 hours in BotW is a lie).​
+ The hardware will feel solid, rather than cheap, now that the Joy-Cons are fixed to the device.​
+ This might actually be small enough to be portable now, without requiring a bag/case.​
− Losing TV out is a huge disappointment. I did not expect it to ship with a dock, but to still support USB-C to HDMI cables, or an optional dock.​
− The Joy-Cons are known to have a lot of problems with bad analog sticks, and this design does not protect them. I really hope they've fixed that problem with this revision.​
− No HD rumble is disappointing (does it support any kind of rumble at all?)​
− That bezel is still huge, so the display is relatively small. This is a problem when some games were already designed for TV mode and did a bad job of scaling content down to the original switch display (small text etc).​

Not a fan of the middle-gray color they went with. I'd prefer that it was either white or black.
I think black buttons would have worked better on the yellow one for contrast too.
whitebananaswitch2hk35.jpg
blackbananaswitchixk60.jpg

I suspect we're going to see a lot of color variations like the 2DS XL though.

3DS did not have a TV Out.
I wish that it did though. I've been playing handheld games on my TV since the original Super Game Boy.
While I love playing games in 3D on the device itself, sometimes I want to just sit back and play something on a TV or monitor - especially long RPGs or Community Sim games.

The ironic thing is that I really disliked playing Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey on a TV because they looked and ran so poorly (which can be forgiven to an extent on a smaller display) but Animal Crossing is a game I'd much rather play on a TV.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Would I be correct that this wouldn't give you cross-save or cross-buy with a normal switch? You would need a single "dedicated" switch and if you wanted a digital title on both you'd have to pay twice, and couldn't readily play on your main switch and continue on your Switch Lite on-the-go (or vice versa)?
No, you would not be correct. You can have primary and non-primary systems linked to the same account and share the same games, to an extent.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017

Era never knows what it's wants even when screaming for it for months

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
A bunch are designed for TV in a bad way, with text that is far too small to comfortably read in handheld mode. Rocket League, Football Manager
I really think Football manager plays much better in handheld mode, tnks to touch controls and that text size is not an issue here.
Haven't played Rocket League, though.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Yet, we have a Nintendo Switch without Dock and without Joy-cons. Why would you consider those "core features" if they release a model without them ? The reason is simple : there aren't core feature and Nintendo confirmed it today.

Good business decision are way more important than pleasing some hardcore fans that overpraise gimmick most don't care about.

A 200€ Switch mini without those awful Joy-cons, a proper D-pad and a better form factor is a killer move. You can even expect this model to overthrown the classic OG model quickly in the future.

Being able to play games on a TV is not a gimmick. That functionality is core to the business of Nintendo's competitors.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

There are still selling the OG Switch, it's not a replacement, so they still see them as core features.