• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no engineer, but I wonder if having the TV Out was really that expensive. Even if they just put it there but didn't offer a dock so people could just buy it in the future if they wanted one.

Still, I'm sure this thing will sell. That's a great price.

It's probably not cost saving at all. The functionality is likely still there and would be more complicated to 'remove' it rather than lock it out by software. This is first and foremost a move to make the regular switch look like a better value proposition.

What is gained by complaining over a cheap model aimed at kids?

You seem hostile to the idea people want to buy a system that suits them. Would it bother you if it could dock optionally?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The battery life is a bit of a bummer. 3-7 hours? Seems incredibly poor for a handheld only device.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
How many major games can you say honestly have defining use of HD rumble and motion control from the split joycons? And I don't mean as an optional feature, but as you say "design a game around". 1-2-Switch and Mario Party?

Almost every game that utilises HD rumble and motion controls requires neither for the core experience and instead just supplement it in no way that breaks the core design if omitted through player choice. The Switch is almost two and a half years old with 34+ million units shipped globally. There already isn't a trend for developers building games around either of these features, just including them as optional extras, and nothing else will change with the Lite on the scene.

It is a marginal feature set even now, you're right.

The name of the console is a reference to that feature set. We won't be 'switching' anything. It's far worse than even Kinect. It speaks to the strength of Nintendo as a brand, that they can screw up this badly yet again and it doesn't even matter. I wonder if they'll bother with any visionary new concepts with the next platform. They probably still will because by the middle of it's lifespan they can just drop it and it won't even matter.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
This definitely isn't for me. I play my Switch docked and handheld and don't see the point in a version that can't do both. On the other hand, my wife really wants the new Animal Crossing and this would probably be a good choice for her since she still plays her 3DS a lot.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
..Well Era is more negative on this than I was expecting. A $200 Nintendo Switch Portable is a slam dunk imo. 3DS launched at $250 and the Switch specs are several generations ahead compared to that 240p mess.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Waiting to see if GameSrop does a trade in deal for for this. Gotta dump my One S and hoping for a pretty even swap.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Two problems I see with this:

1) Most people are not going to check to see if the games that use joy con only will work with the system without extra joy con or not. "Check the back of the box" isn't going to work. I really hope they come up with a better solution to that, or there's gonna be a lot of angry parents around Christmas when they get their kid this and Super Mario Party.

2) $200 seems EXPENSIVE considering the price of a regular Switch and the missing features. It doesn't connect to a TV and doesn't have HD Rumble or the IR sensor. If you want to buy a pair of joy cons for certain games or for multiplayer, that's going to run you an extra $70. That brings it up to almost $270 and at that point, you might as well get the one that lets you connect to the TV if you change your mind for $30 more if that's your plan. (I'll admit that's not who they're targeting but since they're giving you the option to sync the joy con, it's worth pointing out).

Otherwise, pretty cool! Lowers the barrier to entry for people who never plan to dock the thing, the D-pad is a nice feature, longer battery. I don't plan on getting one myself (I play handheld usually but I like being able to remove the controller at anytime if someone wants to play Smash, plus after getting a 1080p TV I've been playing some games docked more often) but it'll be cool to see these out in the wild.

Also the colors are giving me major DS Lite vibes. Good stuff.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think for me it's pretty ideal as I didn't really use any of those kinds of features and I can dig a smaller screen (extra pixel density!), but it's basically removed every feature that made the Switch unique. Some will say they've just stripped out the gimmicks, but it's surprising nonetheless.

TBH the portability was always the most important USP and that's still fine here. Better than ever even. And it looks like that uniqueness will continue long into the future considering the complete lack of any other dedicated portable gaming devices.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This doesn't make me want to sell my Switch and buy it, but if I was a new customer I would absolutely get this one. It's just more handy for portable.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
We really are lucky to have so many hardware engineers that know more than Nintendo in this thread.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
It's going to be embarrassing when this thing gets hacked and SciresM enables HDMI-out by patching a single byte.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (one day): System wars.
Because this is one model when Nintendo has two. Don't buy this if you want to dock it. That is not the purpose of this handheld.
What is gained by complaining over a cheap model aimed at kids?

They literally disabled a feature that it literally still in the system hardware but you literally will defend anything Nintendo do since you literally have switch in your display name 😂😂

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
awesome
if i were to get a second switch i would get one of these to take on the go, if you could have all games and saves shared between the consoles

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is my obligatory comment lamenting that the Wii U didn't sell at least enough for that wireless streaming tech to be affordable enough to be used between this and whatever enhanced version they're working on
The "wireless streaming tech" in the Wii U was just a dedicated wireless card in the console that talked to a dedicated wireless card in the controller, plus some software for encoding and decoding and handling data control.

It'd have been totally doable in the Switch if Nintendo were willing to dump two wireless cards in it.

It'd technically still be doable, if Nintendo thought that people would be willing to accept their Switch (and Switch Lite) being offline while streaming.

I think the most likely reason that there won't be any such functionality is that people mostly don't want it.

That seems like an absurd amount of functionality to give up to save $100.
It's not about saving US$100 though. It's about reaching a price point that makes the console available to people who it wouldn't have been available to at US$300.

I dunno, I kind of expected it to be smaller. DS Lite-tier redesign it ain't. I was thinking about getting one and using the cloud save feature to keep saves consistent, but it doesn't look like something I need.
The size makes sense I think. I understand the argument for smaller size from a historical perspective, because every Nintendo handheld has had one (or all) form factors with a screen smaller than this, but Nintendo will probably have considered the proliferation of 5.5-inch+ devices, the popularity of the larger DS and 3DS models, the resolution of the screen and need to account for more detailed HUD elements (some games have text that's bordering on too small on a 6.2-inch screen - that'll suck on a 5.5-inch screen but would have been even worse on something much smaller).

It's probably also getting trickier to source good-quality 720p displays in smaller sizes.

Can you use a Nintendo Switch Lite as a controller for another Switch?
No one else is answering this as far as I can see, so I'll give my guess that you can't. I'd expect that the Switch Lite will pretty much have the functionality of a current Switch so won't be usable as a controller for another Switch. Maybe they'll add that in future as a general update though.

The size difference is negligible as fuck when you account for the tablet and the 2nd joycon, which leaves me wondering: what exactly is the point of this version? 200 dollars is still pricey for the segment that you're going after (especially when they bought the 2DS for much cheaper than $200), and the elimination of features makes this arguably a worse value proposition than if you simply bought the base model.
I'm not sure why you'd account for a tablet and 2nd Joycon. There'll be people who get everything that they need from this model - they won't feel the need to account for functionality that is extraneous to them.

US$200 might still be pricey for them, yes. I'm not sure what you'd suggest as a solution to that though. There's not much scope for cutting other stuff, they're down to pretty much the bare essentials with this. They will probably aim to reach lower prices eventually.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? You're missing the point. If I could buy a $200 lite and have it dock, even if the game doesn't act like it's in docked mode on a regular Switch, it would be very useful and I'm still wondering why the eff the removed that feature when it served pretty much no purpose of savings.

Trust me, you don't want to see a game dropping below 540p in a big screen. It looks horrible. Like, connecting an old console to a LCD TV with composite and 480i resolution kind of horrible.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's going to be embarrassing when this thing gets hacked and SciresM enables HDMI-out by patching a single byte.

Seeing as there's no public hack for even ipatched Switch's you'll be waiting a while...

Yes, and a dock can have a fan in it. The differential is not massive, and the Switch lite can just run at handheld mode on a TV if it really has to (it does not).

External cooling does not have the same effect on thermals at all.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This thing absolutely will dock with a new dock if they still have the USB-C port and the two indents on the bottom to line it up.
Yeah, it's suspicious that the specs say "Connect devices such as"...

NSwitchSpecsBottom_en~2.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
To you. To you.

$199 means this will sell with Pokemon this Holiday season. It will outsell the normal Switch, PS4 and Xbox One. It will make Nintendo money and kids happy.

No, this isn't to me, this is based on what we know objectively about both systems.

Also, bold claim to make considering that the 3DS (most recent example) had each new iteration that sold less than the previous. Especially when you ignore the fact that the Switch right now is at 35mil sold. Pokemon and Animal Crossing by themselves, are not enough to surpass 35 million units sold (most like 40mil now considering the information was released in April).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This thing absolutely will dock with a new dock if they still have the USB-C port and the two indents on the bottom to line it up.
The two indents are really weird, yes. Maybe for protection case.
I already have a switch and the lite is perfect for my GF. But she wants to be able to play Pokemon on TV if she wants, and there is no easy solution to do it.
The save system is really a problem every time you need it.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Since this is handheld-only, I hope the Switch Pro is TV-only.

Please, don't inflate the price with batteries, giant touch screens and portable aspects that I'm never going to use.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
If this charges via USB-C is there a chance that third-party dock replacements could actually work to display it on TV?

If so, I'm buying my second Switch. If not, I don't think I have a use for this, because I can't even cloud save Pokemon games to use one Switch as a home console and one as a portable, right?

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? You're missing the point. If I could buy a $200 lite and have it dock, even if the game doesn't act like it's in docked mode on a regular Switch, it would be very useful and I'm still wondering why the eff the removed that feature when it served pretty much no purpose of savings.

Because they want you to spend your money on the product with more added value and better ROI. Wait for the Pro or buy an OG one.

The Mini is just not for you.

Nov 1, 2017
God damn all three of those "base" colours make it look absolutely hideous. The Pokemon one is mildly better but the weirdly coloured buttons and sticks make it stand out for the wrong reasons.

I totally get the idea and the appeal of making a dedicated handheld version of a console in which the whole point was you didn't have to choose between home and portable play but couldn't they have made it look less ugly as shit?

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I know we love to give our arm chair expert industry advice here (though we do have actual people from the industry in here, and I'm no exception since I'm coming in with a hot take myself), but I think you're doubting the huge library of games the Switch has. And now they made a cheaper product without devaluing the OG model. This is going to sell very, very well. Think about all the people that haven't bought a Switch yet for Pokemon. This is probably THE version to get for them.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
if there was an all black edition I'd probably buy one even though i really have no need for it outside of the fact it should travel slightly better.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Except it does. Additional cooling. Redesigned dock. Etc.

It costs money. Buy an OG Switch if you want those features

As we have already discussed, this stuff isn't true. The ways the Switch Lite are smaller have no relation to the cooling system. 99% of the differential comes from a smaller screen and no-joycons.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one else is answering this as far as I can see, so I'll give my guess that you can't. I'd expect that the Switch Lite will pretty much have the functionality of a current Switch so won't be usable as a controller for another Switch. Maybe they'll add that in future as a general update though.
Yeah, I'd like this. I already have a Switch, but my girlfriend might be interested in this for Pokemon, and it'd be nice to have another controller for Mario Kart or whatever.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This isn't a primary switch this is the secondary one for the Pokémon and animal crossing players in your family

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
User X: Who even wants this thing??

Many posts describing exactly who would want it and why.

User X: See nobody wants this. Nintendo is blind. No value in this thing.