• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why you'd account for a tablet and 2nd Joycon. There'll be people who get everything that they need from this model - they won't feel the need to account for functionality that is extraneous to them.

US$200 might still be pricey for them, yes. I'm not sure what you'd suggest as a solution to that though. There's not much scope for cutting other stuff, they're down to pretty much the bare essentials with this. They will probably aim to reach lower prices eventually.

I said account for that bc the photo only shows the first joy-con beside the Switch Lite. If you compare the Joy-Con to the right side of the Switch Lite, you see a smaller size difference than the name implies. Add in the rest of the base model Switch's components, and you see a clear and negligible difference at best.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't bought a Switch yet and was waiting to hear about this but not being able to connect it to a TV makes it a hard pass for me.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Everyone saying it needs to be dockable, do we know if they've reduced the spec to match only the demands of portable resolutions etc.?

Docking surely requires a full-fat switch.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As we have already discussed, this stuff isn't true. The ways the Switch Lite are smaller have no relation to the cooling system. 99% of the differential comes from a smaller screen and no-joycons.

again, saying it is not true, doesnt make it so.

your armchair analysis it is a good as the one saying the problem is the heating.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Seeing as there's no public hack for even ipatched Switch's you'll be waiting a while...

External cooling does not have the same effect on thermals at all.

Caffeine was released for 4.1 ipatched devices. So they can finally join in on the fun.

If you have a newer than 4.1 version though. Still out of luck

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with a 5.5 inch LCD screen at 720p on a multimedia device under $200? It's even cheaper than some Android tablets with 720p.
I don't use any tablets so I'm not familiar with how they feel, but you can find much smaller phones in the market with a 5.5".
If I'm not mistaken, for example, with the DS Lite they went with the same screen size while slimming down the rest of the device so I hoped for the same. Can't have it all though 🤷

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
While I am not going to get it because I already have a normal Switch, it does solve my main issue that I don't see it as a handheld device as I always found it to large to carry with me on the go vs my Vita/3DS XL.

I don't mind playing it at home undocked occasionally, but I never brought it with me when traveling for work/fun. I measured it out and this Lite device would easily fit my handheld standards. I also like the controllers are not detachable. The less moving parts on something that is being tossed in a bag the better.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the regular Switch doesn't support BT headphones? And this doesn't either? Do you have to use wired headphones or something?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
SecondarySlimArcticseal-size_restricted.gif

lol I love gifs like this.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
An interesting offering from Nintendo. I believe the Lite will sell very well at that price point and it's being launched with the new Zelda game which will be perfect.

As an OG Switch owner though, the lack of rumble and no option to dock it makes me want to pass on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Lite's screen size is still bigger than the Vita's but with a much higher Pixel Per Inch:

Vita PPI: 220

Switch PPI: 237

Switch Lite PPI: 267

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For the amount of features removed to make this, a $100 price doesn't seem like enough. The colors also make it look cheap and plasticy. Definitely will see hot cakes, doesn't mean it's a good product.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
You know the internally workings of the Lite? WOW

I am capable of understanding the size of things, comparing them to other things and looking at what the Switch firmware reveals about the Lite, partial support for which has been present since 5.0. So, yeah.

The numbers don't make sense for the system to have a radically different cooling system. The system is smaller in a 'screen is smaller' way and a 'the enormous joycons and associated rails are removed' way, but it's not dramatically thinner.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
as if the original switch didn't already need a grip due to its terrible ergonomics...........this shit is cramp central and will also need a good designed grip to comfortably hold

Oct 25, 2017
Not even the option of tv out is a massive massive bummer. I get if they didn't wanna include the dock etc but no idea why you can't use an existing one (or they make another one) and you use a pro controller.

Also, Nintendo once again blowing the entire gimmick behind their console.

Oct 26, 2017
Feb 10, 2018
Haha, I called this so many times, I present a portion of crow to all the people who said to me a switch mini/lite would not happen like this

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Looks neat. I assume that a portable only version of the Switch will still do really well. Especially at $200. That's a great price for the Switch.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
How is this a side-grade?

This ad has to be the holy grail of marketing to convince people of this.

I want it portable and I want it mainly portable. So as a portable it loses some incredibly minor functionality for me and increases the battery life, adds a d-pad, and looks sleeker. I have roommates with switches should I ever absolutely HAVE to play one of my games on the TV.

It's a side-grade.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm interested, but I gotta wait for a thorough review. I need to know:

1. Will it hold the same frame rate and resolution as the current Switch in handheld?

2. Is the d-pad reliable?

3. How do cross saves with another registered Switch work?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
200$ for a device that last 6 months before the analog sticks quit?

Or, did they revamp their construction? Any revision to hardware will need to state and address that prime reason anyone is looking for a revision.