• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Gato

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure if it has been answered already, but is there any info on how Nintendo will handle accounts? It would really suck if they make you transfer everything to one console like the Wii/Wii U/3DS account system.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I really think Football manager plays much better in handheld mode, tnks to touch controls and that text size is not an issue here.
Haven't played Rocket League, though.

It plays better - it is a port of the Touch version of the game, but it cannot be played in handheld mode due to all the text being far too small to read. It's all tiny as heck compared to the Switch home screen/most other games. :(

Oct 26, 2017
You got any source for that ? Because I'm doubting that the old 3DS sold more than most of the more recent models.

eBhIRtdLCm2pJAvN4DWxquASKQgATf4CmCrvfqZtQAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131e.pdf

Look at the life to date for the 3 major 3DS iterations in the first pdf. And then compare with 2013 numbers of the base 3DS model here:

1RbdOaxG8SjAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20130526130209/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1303.pdf

To expect the Switch Lite to beat out the base Switch, you'd need unprecedented sales to the level of DS Lite. Which in this day and age, and in the landscape of video-gaming is unlikely.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Like most other people on Era, this doesn't suit my needs, so I won't be buying it. It still looks nice and I'd get it for a kid as a gift or something. Even then though, it's not different enough from the launch model. The direct size comparison is not very favorable. Lite is barely even smaller than the original Switch, and the size change they did make won't do much to make the system more portable.

Considering the slight size change, it's kind of crazy that they'd remove the ability to dock. From what I gather, people were expecting a model geared toward handheld play, not a model exclusively for handheld play. Removing the ability to dock seems silly because, again, the Lite is barely more portable than its predecessor and a few big games will require you to spend money on Joycon for functionality lost in the shuffle, which kind of makes the price gap moot if you want to play, say, Mario Party. Plus, it's called the Switch. Not a lot of "switching" happening with this one.

Nothing has changed for me re: Switch purchasing plans. I'm going to stick with my launch model until they announce a more powerful version of the system just as I always intended. This isn't for me and that's fine. But that doesn't absolve Nintendo of criticism for some weird choices they've made here.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's for people who:
  • Don't already own a Switch
  • Don't care about playing it on a TV
Never expected anything else. This is the Switch's 2DS, right down to cutting out the system's main gimmick. Like the 2DS, I'm sure it will be popular among parents of young children.
Correct. I'm curious how it feels in the hands tbh.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure if it has been answered already, but is there any info on how Nintendo will handle accounts? It would really suck if they make you transfer everything to one console like the Wii/Wii U/3DS account system.

If you have NSO you can do cloud saving to transfer all your cloud save games over. If not you do the classic system transfer that was seen with 3DS/WiiU.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Relative to the current Switch. $100 off for no TV mode, no IR support, certain games not supported isn't enough. The consumer that only plays in handheld mode and assigns zero value to TV play only exists on Internet forums.

Not really. Many people would go for the cheaper option, even if they had to sacrifica TV mode, plus many people don't stay at a single place to be a le to play in TV mode.

This versión is a huge del, and many people will jump at this price

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It plays better - it is a port of the Touch version of the game, but it cannot be played in handheld mode due to all the text being far too small to read.
that's what I said: i don't think they are too small to read. I even think it's better to read it in handheld than on tv; But that's an opinion.

Do you remember the 3DS right? It was not a lot better lol

Those magical times with long battery life ended with DS Lite.
No you're missing my point- what hard evidence is your opinion based on? Why do you think that it's even possible for the device to run longer than that?
That's not realistic though. You're effectively asking them to throttle the technology at far weaker than it currently is, because the battery in the original switch, and presumably this one too is already as big as they could physically make it.
ok, I can't have an opinion. 4h is great and there is no magic in the world.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I misunderstood then, I thought you meant functionality rather than size. However even for the size, although the difference is small, I wouldn't call it negligible. "Pocketable", "portable" and other such terms are wildly subjective and relatively small size differences can make a device more portable to a large number of people.

Yeah but if you're talking a minuscule difference, then it's not going to help the system be any more portable than it was.

Jan 15, 2019
This is the strangest thread I've seen on this site.

By the sounds of things, some of you just want a regular Switch? If so, just purchase a regular Switch?

Or were you perhaps thinking that the Switch Lite (Mini) was somehow going to be an upgrade to the regular Switch?

I'm beyond confused by some of these posts.

This seems great for younger kids. I'd be 100% down for getting my Newphew this. He had a blast with the Nintendo 2DS.
Yeah, I really don't understand the issue here. HD Rumble is nice but in no way essential, and if you want a Switch that docks to the tv... hey, those are still available! In fact, if you post on a video game forum there's a solid chance you already own one. It should be beyond obvious that the Switch Lite is intended for people who are ok with (or even prefer) only playing handheld, which sales of the 3DS line of systems would suggest is quite a few people!

Oct 27, 2017
At the size it is, not even being smaller than a regular switch, they are needlessly fracturing the brand by removing TV play and joy cons to a lesser extent.

They could have literally put a 5.5 inch screen in the normal switch body, shrink the body a bit and still slapped on joy con rails.

But the joy cons add too much cost you say?

Well then just ship it with joy cons that don't have wireless, rumble, etc like the $20 (on sale for $15 now) Hori D Pad con.

And include a Joy Con Grip that houses a single battery and single wireless chip so those cons can still work in TV play.

I would be more interested in this model if it actually made it pocketable like a 3DS. As is, I agree with many that this isn't for me and that's fine but you lose way more value than the price reduction makes up for. For $150-$180 this would be better

So since it uses a new processor then the new processor is likely being used in the regular switch at some point soon because they'll stop using 20nm. So I'm guessing the $300 switch will be even more profitable now. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if it's going down to $200 or so in cost to make on its own.

I'm more interested in seeing what changes internally with the regular switch since it's likely they swap out the processor internally but treat the model like it's the same

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
Curious how this is still considered a "switch". Looks cool though. I could see myself getting one of my kids one if it ever goes down to $149.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
The form factor is fine, pretty weird color choices. I want to see the pro though, it's time to finally pick one of these things up.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have it able to connect to a tv. Sure you can't detach the joycons to use them as a pad but then you force people to buy a pro controller.

Also, it no longer switches in any way shape or form.

It'll sell gangbusters but no TV out is a mistake. I don't see the sense in it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed by no TV-out, otherwise I would replace my existing Switch with this. At the same time, there's probably a good reason for leaving it out besides just "differentiating" models. Could heat dispersion have been an issue? Surely the fan had to go in order to shrink the hardware size, which is probably the same reason HD Rumble is missing. I don't envy the guys whose job it is to jigsaw all the components into these things...

I'll still pick up a Lite eventually since my biggest issue with the current Switch is actual portability.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
that's what I said: i don't think they are too small to read. I even think it's better to read it in handheld than on tv; But that's an opinion.

Huh, okay. You don't think they are smaller than what you see in other games? Everyone else I whine at about this agrees that the text is microscopic :(

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dec 23, 2017
I'm pretty sure pro isnt coming this year. Either you announce them both at the same time or not. It doesn't make sense to announce another switch in a couple months. Too confusing to consumers.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I like the yellow one quite a bit, but I already almost never touch my switch, so I don't know if I can justify the purchase.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Love how it looks. And it has an actual d-pad

Since the screen is a bit smaller, it could have a higher pixel density right?

Games will look a bit more crisp :)

I will leave my current one in a dock-only configuration, and keep this new model as the "on the go" model.

Cloud saves mean that I can keep playing the same game in both consoles right?

Stop it. I'm trying to ignore this revision, I don't need you pointing out all of these positives that will make the portable experience even more palatable...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

By the sounds of things, some of you just want a regular Switch? If so, just purchase a regular Switch?

Or were you perhaps thinking that the Switch Lite (Mini) was somehow going to be an upgrade to the regular Switch?

This seems great for younger kids. I'd be 100% down for getting my Newphew this. He had a blast with the Nintendo 2DS.
Yeah, Nintendo obviously sees a market for a handheld only model. Me personally I am surprised they didn't leave the dock functionally in there to upsell later . But I can see why they took it out while they redesigning. It's not that big of a deal. The thing is aimed at parents to chunk at their kids.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
If you have NSO you can do cloud saving to transfer all your cloud save games over. If not you do the classic system transfer that was seen with 3DS/WiiU.

But would transferring save files be quick? Would I have to do it every time I jump on either system?

I assume some games like Smash don't support it though. Doesn't Splatoon not support it?

Smash is one of my fave games, it'd suck to not be able to really play that on the Lite.

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, let me break it down.

I want

-Smaller switch
-dpad
-no dock
-get rid of rumble
-tv out

for $199.

Ok, so get rid of the dock. Get rid of the detachable joycons. Lose all the tech in the joycons. Lose the kickstand. Make it smaller. But if you do want to someday hook it up to a tv, you can. The option is there.

FIN.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm guessing the improved battery life and the lack of TV out are connected. Probably the Mini is using a fixed low power version of the Tegra chip that isn't capable of the docked performance profile. It's a shame because the Mini hardware looks a lot nicer than the OG Switch, but the losing the "Switch" aspect of the platform is too painful for me to consider. $200 is a great price, but imo Nintendo have cut a few too many corners here.