• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Era really isn't the target market for this. The Switch Pro or whatever the beefy version will be called will be better received here.

I also think some of the disappointment stems from the fact that this literally does NOTHING to improve the Switch but takes features away. The GBA SP, DS Lite, and 3DS XL all improved upon the original model in some form.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This is what people wanted right down to the d-pad. This device will sell to children, handheld gamers, and people who don't want to spend $300. Next year we'll get a Switch Pro targeted at a different audience.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Guess they are done with HD rumble then. I Guess it wasn't ever utilized much.

Think they should have kept docking option, just sell it seperate.

Bet this will sell alot though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is the strangest thread I've seen on this site.

By the sounds of things, some of you just want a regular Switch? If so, just purchase a regular Switch?

Or were you perhaps thinking that the Switch Lite (Mini) was somehow going to be an upgrade to the regular Switch?

I'm beyond confused by some of these posts.

This seems great for younger kids. I'd be 100% down for getting my Newphew this. He had a blast with the Nintendo 2DS.
As I said upthread this device is more or less what people speculated for months the Lite would be

There is certainly an element of concern trolling from people with no interest in the device and there's also a segment of people who want a smaller , cheaper, docksble Switch with no features cut. If this sounds unreasonable, it certainly is.

That's not unexpected but they probably aren't the market for Nintendo ATM, unless what we suspect will happen happens and the Pro gets slotted in at $300 and OG drops.to $250.

In that case, the.people who want a cheaper docksble Switch will get their cheaper docksble Switch but not a smaller one.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, I understand a Lite version cutting costs and I'm fine with that meaning no dock and no high-power brick being included, the only thing I'm miffed about, why can't I put this Switch Lite in my existing dock for TV-out? You would think that the internals are this much identical to allow for this.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Big missed opportunity to bring the transparent GBA and GBC colours back, though...

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Love the colors though we need more colorways. A red / pink one would be great.

I'd also love a translucent purple one as well as a throwback to the GBC days.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird they say "well you can use extra controllers wireless for multiplayer stuff" yet there's no kickstand so instead you get to buy another over-priced Nintendo accessory to prop it up (unless you're an animal and just lean it against something).

My brain still hurts why they didn't even allow this to connect to a TV via a special dock + pro controller/joycon set. They already charge $100cdn for a fucking dock so they could have made it the same price. I'd LOVE a smaller switch for on the go etc but like to play on the TV half the time.

Oh well. My wife will love this for animal crossing and I'll buy the inevitable pro model I guess.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I love they returned to use the D-pad but I don't like the colors, the no TV connectivity and the reduced screen size.

This type of Switch isn't for me. I'm going to continue waiting for a Pro model or go for the normal Switch.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Finally!
This is exactly what I was waiting for and with the perfect price! :O
Yellow for me!!!!

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
We dominate, my Turquoise brethren!!!
Anywho, good price point and love the look. Figured it would have no dock packaged to keep cost low, but no dock compatibility (even if needed to be a new lite-only dock) is insane. No TV output is a deal breaker for me, especially since Nintendo/Switch isn't Single User/Multi-Console Friendly AFAIK.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Big agree!

Handheld mode does run at a lower performance profile. They could absolutely allow for docked play, they just chose not to. They get that functionality for free with the Tegra, they just have to wire up the USB-C connector and put a fan in a plastic housing and sell it for $80.

As I have not seen the design of the mini in detail I cannot state what is true or not but if they have reduced the thermal mass of the internal cooling system, which I assume with the reduced weight of the system it is not certain that an external fan will be good enough. You might actually overheat the chip before the heat has been moved out to the the space the external fan works with.

Of course that is just speculation from my part; especially as I mainly work with power electronics with quite higher power losses than a tegra but sufficient heat transfer can be hard to achieve. Nintendo might simple has gone with the simplest approach to ensure the price they wanted and good enough price.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but that doesn't change this device being lame.

How is it lame when the price point is good for families and people with lower income? This give people more access to the Switch that might consider the extra $100 a barrier. Not everyone can afford that extra money, and everyone deserves the same access to entertainment regardless of class. When these systems go cheaper with these "lite" models it opens the market up to a new segment.

God forbid privileged gamers want those people to have cheaper options. That's the lame thing in this thread.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
This thing sucks. It removes all the unique features of the Switch now it's just a standard handheld.

I guess it's for people who wanted a 2DS though.

Nintendo handhelds have always sold amazingly, for more than 20 years. Those being surprised Nintendo is releasing a pure handheld Switch are delusional. Not only it was bound to happen, it's one of the best business strategy they could go for.

There are still selling the OG Switch, it's not a replacement, so they still see them as core features.

Core features that are not shared by a console from the same "Switch" family ? That's a gimmick. If it was a core feature, it would be on the Switch Mini. It isn't, it's a gimmick.

Inb4 people stop buying the OG model and rush to get the mini versions.

How is it lame when the price point is good for families and people with lower income? This give people more access to the Switch that might consider the extra $100 a barrier. Not everyone can afford that extra money, and everyone deserves the same access to entertainment regardless of class. When these systems go cheaper with these "lite" models it opens the market up to a new segment.

God forbid privileged gamers want those people to have cheaper options. That's the lame thing in this thread.

Also this ! Thanks Kitchenmotors. So much gatekeeping in this thread.

I'll add that putting a 300$ fragile device in the hand of children isn't a smart decision. This Switch mini looks sturdier and is cheaper.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure pro isnt coming this year. Either you announce them both at the same time or not. It doesn't make sense to announce another switch in a couple months. Too confusing to consumers.
I was just thinking this like why would they do a pro 3 months after the lite?youre gonna get some confused people at Christmas not knowing what to pick out of the 3 models

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, I understand a Lite version cutting costs and I'm fine with that meaning no dock and no high-power brick being included, the only thing I'm miffed about, why can't I put this Switch Lite in my existing dock for TV-out? You would think that the internals are this much identical to allow for this.

Smaller size might prevent it from actually fitting in the dock - the sticks, buttons, and triggers would be closer together, and might not have enough clearance to go into the dock.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019

im thinking this will actually work when it comes out, just nintendo won't acknowledge it.Maybe they will come out with a smaller dock later on.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think what people are missing is that this is meant as an alternative upgrade path for current 3DS owners, who for whatever reason haven't bought into the Switch. Nintendo wants to retire the 3DS, it's clearly finished and this looks to be a move to get the 3DS market over to the Switch market. I think combined with Pokemon it'll easily sell

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Is therea good picture of the top of this? Does it still have the same thermal exhaust port? I wonder if they've brought the cooling needs down at all.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but if you're talking a minuscule difference, then it's not going to help the system be any more portable than it was.
That's the point though. Every tiny reduction in size pushes this machine across the portability threshold for someone, somewhere. By volume this new model is ~22% smaller than the existing Switch models - it's not a big difference but it will be enough that it'll be portable for more people than it was before.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Are people going to be happy with a 7 hour battery life? I feel like this should be like $150, with a 12-14 hour battery making it an acceptable $200

How long did the DS last again

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
As I have not seen the design of the mini in detail I cannot state what is true or not but if they have reduced the thermal mass of the internal cooling system, which I assume with the reduced weight of the system it is not certain that an external fan will be good enough. You might actually overheat the chip before the heat has been moved out to the the space the external fan works with.

Of course that is just speculation from my part; especially as I mainly work with power electronics with quite higher power losses than a tegra but sufficient heat transfer can be hard to achieve. Nintendo might simple has gone with the simplest approach to ensure the price they wanted and good enough price.

The thing is....this system clearly is running a Tegra X1 die shrink. The numbers Nintendo quotes with the smaller battery do not make any kind of sense otherwise. With that in mind + the system being of a similar thickness to the old Switch, I don't see how they would not be able to cool the system for TV out.

The reduced weight is likely the battery. The Switch used mostly reference Nvidia components - even the eMMC board is reference part - so I would not be surprised to see Nintendo use the reference Nvidia thermal solution.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Neat, not for me as my Switch never leaves the dock but at that price point there's going to be a ton of new adopters! Gonna sell like hotcakes over the holidays.
Will wait for the inevitable X or Pro version.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I think I'm still strongly opposed to the existence of this device.

if people were this interested in a handheld only device, 3DS would've done much better. it will do great in Japan but i don't think it can match the main device outside.

and why limit the appeal of the original Switch?

even Joy Cons are big part of the appeal, games like Super Mario Party and Overcooked sold insanely well because of couch co-op

why kill this?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Doesn't anyone else get distracted by bright colors surrounding the screen, I feel like that shit's going to be burning into my peripherals at all times.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the design of the thing, but I would hate to be locked into just portable mode even if that's how I play my current Switch 80% of the time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Smaller size might prevent it from actually fitting in the dock - the sticks, buttons, and triggers would be closer together, and might not have enough clearance to go into the dock.
im thinking this will actually work when it comes out, just nintendo won't acknowledge it.Maybe they will come out with a smaller dock later on.

Yeah I didn't think of the sticks physically getting in the way but this has me curious now, assuming this model has the same USB-C port, I am really tempted to know what happens when you use a compatible USB-C extension-cord and hook it up to a dock.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
If it was dockable then nobody would buy the OG switch as you could just buy one of those hdmi adapters. They are just protecting the current premium offering.

Mini seems cool for my kids, but need to understand what's involved with digital licensing and cloud saves between consoles.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be buying this since I know I am not the demographic Nintendo is trying to attract with this model, but I must say that purely as a handheld, I'm really impressed. 5.5 inch screen makes it slightly larger than the N3DSXL (4.8 in), and the ability to still play like 95% of the catalogue without compromises. What eventually will make this sell is Nintendo pumping out games, and getting 3rd parties on board. That the real value of a handheld console.

This is seriously like the 2DS for original owners of the 3DS, I'll be waiting for the N3DS version of this news if I plan on revising.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Handwaving a violent misogynist hate movement
Combination between Nintendo fanboys and Incels, a.k.a hardcore misogynists and school shooters. Really classy shit.
Oh, I don't think there are many of them on era. Thank goodness.

Wtf? An Incel is just someone who can't get laid. Has nothing to do with misogyny or school shootings.

Still, glad the low effort troll was banned

I don't want to get into arguments about this to detail the thread don't quote me