• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm still strongly opposed to the existence of this device.

if people were this interested in a handheld only device, 3DS would've done much better. it will do great in Japan but i don't think it can match the main device outside.

and why limit the appeal of the original Switch?

even Joy Cons are big part of the appeal, games like Super Mario Party and Overcooked sold insanely well because of couch co-op

why kill this?
Option is bad. Also can 3DS plays Switch games?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Where's that dude at?? We told you it would remove features. Nintendo should never care about Mario Party or Labo. They made the right decision.
I was one of those dudes! Ha. Very surprised by this honestly. But Nintendo do what Nintendo do. Thinking this is perfect for my niece but my only concern is that she'd be disappointed it doesn't dock.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
large.jpg
Blasphemy!

Transparent colors is the devil I tell you!

Haha you're wrong!

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka

if people were this interested in a handheld only device, 3DS would've done much better. it will do great in Japan but i don't think it can match the main device outside.

even Joy Cons are big part of the appeal, games like Super Mario Party and Overcooked sold insanely well because of couch co-op

why kill this?
Because this model is not meant to replace the original and is made specifically for people who want a new, cheaper, more portable version.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Given that the Mini is hitting the magic $200 price point AND cutting the docked performance profile, I think we're going to see Nintendo and 3rd parties scale back their production scope a bit for the rest of the Switch lifecycle.

Unless the rumored Switch Pro is announced, for the moment it looks like OG Switch's portable profile will have to be the "first class" development spec. Goodbye 720p30, hello 540p24.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Core features that are not shared by a console from the same "Switch" family ? That's a gimmick. If it was a core feature, it would be on the Switch Mini. It isn't, it's a gimmick.

The Switch LITE is targeted at a different market than the OG Switch. That market might not care about the core features of the OG Switch but that does not make it a gimmick. If it was such a gimmick then surely Switch sales would have been similar to that of the Wii U?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Maybe they should call it the "Stuck" ;)

Can't believe people are losing their shit over this lol.

The Switch is already a great system that does both. Get that if this is such an issue. I'm kinda surprised people wouldn't just get the Switch but there's definitely the market that just wants it as a handheld console so it makes sense for them. It also makes sense for fans who like to double dip and have spare handheld consoles.

I do hope and assume a Pro is coming though since he worded the Switch and Lite as a "family". Kinda implies more are coming, which was also apparently planned long ago by Iwata.

Can't wait for the Pro, whatever it is.

Will more than likely cop me one of these too. The Yellow one is pretty damn tempting. Grey looks cool and I'm into the Pokemon one sans the actual Pokemon designs on the back. It's got a sexy color scheme. Decisions decisions.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
This is... so disappointing. I really really wanted a more portable version of the switch but i only play splatoon docked.

I wouldn't mind owning both, but then save files are attached to the console right? So i can't easily hop cartridges around?

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Any pre-order links live yet? I see the placeholders are up at Best Buy but still marked as coming soon.

The Pokemon one is gorgeous and will sell like crazy. Want to get a preorder in for it the moment it goes up at a retailer.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously better than the equally priced New 3DS XL. This is a GREAT price.

It's somewhat unfortunate they wanted to retain so much of the design philosophy of the regular 3DS, because I think they could have made it a decent bit smaller if they went a little different with it, but it looks decent enough. I think 5.5" screen was the way to go. Don't want to make it too much smaller when the games are designed to be able to play on TV.

This is cool. Good announcement overall.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wtf? An Incel is just someone who can't get laid. Has nothing to do with misogyny or school shootings.

Still, glad the low effort troll was banned
This is super offtopic but are you actually serious with this? Maybe take a look into these incel forums where they want their women to be mindless sex slaves or have them given to them by government. Where they constantly talk about how women who had sex are filthy and egg others on to perform acts of violence. Before coming in here with that sizzling hottake, maybe educate yourself. I won't engage in that topic in this thread any further, but seriously, please stop spreading ignorant nonsense.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of television connectivity, it's called Switch Lite." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Honest question, I understand a Lite version cutting costs and I'm fine with that meaning no dock and no high-power brick being included, the only thing I'm miffed about, why can't I put this Switch Lite in my existing dock for TV-out? You would think that the internals are this much identical to allow for this.

It's too small, it wouldn't fit. Not sure why they didn't go for a slim dock, they love accessories.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Was on board with everything except no TV output - assuming there are third party docks thst work with this thing, I will likely get one.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
Now we read the endless mistakes Nintendo has done with this device.

In September we watch how it blows worldwide, and Switch go pass100m two years from now.

$199 DAMN

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I think what people are missing is that this is meant as an alternative upgrade path for current 3DS owners, who for whatever reason haven't bought into the Switch. Nintendo wants to retire the 3DS, it's clearly finished and this looks to be a move to get the 3DS market over to the Switch market. I think combined with Pokemon it'll easily sell
People are not missing that. It's obvious what they (BigN) are intend to do with this handheld.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Honestly the dpad thing never really bothered me all that much as I actually have little problem using the current one or the analog.

My real problem with the dpad on the Switch is the positioning. It's too low.

Not sure if this new one even fixes that problem since it's the same placement. I guess we'll see.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

why kill this?

It really is blasphemous where is the inquisition when you need it

But it's going to sell especially in Japan

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If it was dockable then nobody would buy the OG switch as you could just buy one of those hdmi adapters. They are just protecting the current premium offering.

Mini seems cool for my kids, but need to understand what's involved with digital licensing and cloud saves between consoles.
For $100 more you get detachable controllers, built in for local MP, HD Rumble and motion controls, and a bigger screen size.

I think those are good enough. Even having it as an accessory option is viable, where you have to buy something separately for dock play.

The Pro Switch doesn't impede on the original Switch because the Pro is more expensive. But it still will likely have a portable mode (I assume). In the same way, the Lite Switch shouldn't impede on the original Switch because it's cheaper. The features that make the Switch unique-- TV to portable, should have stayed across all 3 systems.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of weird that they kept the same inconvenient placement of the headphone jack. It doesn't dock, so no reason that it couldn't be on the bottom.

The Pro Switch doesn't impede on the original Switch because the Pro is more expensive.

Why talk about speculation as if it's confirmed? For all we know, the 'Switch Pro' will just replace the current Switch model, like the New 3DS replaced the OG 3DS. There is zero evidence that it will be more expensive or be a Switch version of the PS4 Pro i.e. sold as a 'hardcore' model. That is all speculation.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Once again 2 things have been proved:

1) Nintendo (as of lately) knows their audience exactly and made all the right decisions with the Lite. Artificially removing docking capabilities is a business plan to differentiate the Lite from the original Switch and thus avoid overlapping purchase decisions. It's also a way to have a true sucessor to the 3DS at a great price. Also, those saying that the Lite is a rip off - from a hardware standpoint, the Nvidia Shield is basically the same price and has no screen, just let that sink it.

2) a percentage of people here (and to be honest, the internet in general) are unable to understand user base demographics, marketing appeal and installed base growth boost. Complaining about the stupidest things, like "it isn't a Switch anymore". Switch is now a brand and a lot of people link it to Nintendo games, that's it. I'm sure game stores and online retailers will make it clear enough about the removal of docking capabilities. Also, people saying this isn't small enough? Anything less and you'll end up with worse ergonomics and loss of fine details.

I could go on and on but yeah, Nintendo nailed it, whether you guys like or not.if negative, there's always the original Switch and the upcoming Pro as an option.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Neat. It doesn't invalidate anyone that already has a Switch but it's super cool for someone that either a) feels that price is a barrier of entry, or b) simply likes having a more dedicated handheld device. It's certainly not for people who already have one, it just expands the potential audience, which is good.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Now we read the endless mistakes Nintendo has done with this device.

In September we watch how it blows worldwide, and Switch go pass100m two years from now.

$199 DAMN

I don't doubt the Mini is gonna be a hit at $200. If Nintendo launched any handheld platform at $200, it would be a hit.

Really what's happening is that for the first time Nintendo effectively has no home console. Precisely because the Mini will be very successful.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also this ! Thanks Kitchenmotors. So much gatekeeping in this thread.

I'll add that putting a 300$ fragile device in the hand of children isn't a smart decision. This Switch mini looks sturdier and is cheaper.

Exactly, it looks a little less fragile which is one reason why I'll be getting one to throw in my bag and have with me on a day-to-day basis. My original Switch can just stay docked.

The cheaper price point also means that second hand units will be even cheaper, will also opens the market up to people who might only buy used or second hand because it is a little less expensive. And even though I despise GameStop, I'm sure they will offer incentives to people who want to purchase the Switch Lite at an even cheaper price with trade ins of last gen products.

Cheaper and more accessible is always a better strategy for Nintendo. Expanding the market and giving people choices is a good thing. Why are all these people opposed to it?

Oh yeah, gamer fanboy wars.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Really weird that you can't dock it, when that's the entire concept of the system. There's nothing for you to 'Switch' between!

Still though, this looks like a great option for people who primarily play their games handheld. The original Switch always felt a tad too bulky in handheld mode for me.
Seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have it able to connect to a tv. Sure you can't detach the joycons to use them as a pad but then you force people to buy a pro controller.

Also, it no longer switches in any way shape or form.

It'll sell gangbusters but no TV out is a mistake. I don't see the sense in it.

YOu can still Switch between your Switch light and regular switch and even use NSO for cloud saves!

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ people complaining about new options. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Don't go parading around like you don't understand that the Switch is Nintendo's new handheld economy.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Come September 20th this thing starts flying off the shelves.
https://imgur.com/0LRsv33

Edit: Cannot for the life of me get am image to post. Anyway, supposed to show the Adjustable Charging Stand.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Honestly the dpad thing never really bothered me all that much as I actually have little problem using the current one or the analog.

My real problem with the dpad on the Switch is the positioning. It's too low.

Not sure if this new one even fixes that problem since it's the same placement. I guess we'll see.
yep, my ideal left joycon has the dpad up top and analog stick below

i wish a 3rd party would make one.
i have the hori dpad left joycon now and its fine, but i want the dpad above so badly