• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must be really hard to release a console that's just "better" than the previous console. Nope, there must be some stupid twist to it, or else it wouldn't be a Nintendo console revision!

So basically, if I buy a Switch Lite, and someday want to play games on the big screen, I have to buy another Switch?! Jesus Christ. I could understand if they didn't include a dock and cables, but not being able to connect to a TV at all is just stupid. That's like, the whole point of the Switch.

this post made me burst out laughing

Jan 10, 2018
Gemüsepizza, Spieler Eins... who of you is Pachterballs?
If the Switch is truly unifying Nintendo's hardware line, they needed a super cheap entry level unit. Something that you can give your kid knowing that it be broken (by abusive use, not defects) within 2 years and not feel like your wallet is bleeding. Something to rival phone games for kids in the car/long lines/restaurants. This is the true successor to the 3DS.

Yep

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI Tegra's not a board, it's a SOC. The board they've mounted it on is custom.

And no, it's not a SOC feature. Nintendo put one of these: https://www.diodes.com/products/con...otocol-switches/usb-switches/part/PI3USB30532 on the board of the OG Switch and wired it into the SOC's separate GPU and USB outputs to achieve the DisplayPort + USB-3 muxing.
Yeah I know it's a SOC I was just under the impression that Nvidia supplied the board as well in this regard, like the Jetson kits for example.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's by no means a widespread issue, but I started reading the thread from the beginning and have seen quite a few comments along the lines of "so the Switch Lite is a PSP/Vita?" and I can't help but be like... are these people so young that they forgot Nintendo has used this form factor multiple times for their handhelds since the 1980s?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Devs have to specifically port any iOS software to AppleTV, making it pretty much completely unlike this situation. There's no running any unmodified software by default.

Also, what Switch Lite exclusive software do you apparently have inside knowledge of?

I'm trying to be sarcastic sorry just getting a little too swept up in the pace of this thread and not reading the entirety of the previous conversations.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
and I'm sure this is valuable information, but again, not one said it will not sell well. A person said only $100 less for what they consider less functionality ruled them out as a potential buyer, another person agreed and said that the same product for $125 or $150 would be a more compelling proposition, then a third person came in saying they are glad forum goers don't influence Nintendo decision making. Me, the 4th person involved, just said that what the first two said was not outrageous, the third individual then attempted to move the goal posts as if people were saying this will not sell well, but in reality the first individual had already stated that it will likely sell very well.

People in this thread are literally saying that it won't sell well, is DOA, is not for kids. Again what people here personally think about the price has little meaning as they are most likely not the target market. I don't think that saying they are glad that people here don't make decisions for Nintendo is outrageous either /shrug.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I have an issue with anyone saying this is more kid friendly. It might be more parent friendly for those parents who have absolutely no idea what they are buying because its a cheaper price tag.

Last I checked kids like playing on TV or tabletops, like rumble/gyro/motion, like having built in extra controllers for their friends - and probably care less about a D-pad than people from earlier generations. And if you are buying a lot of Nintendo games you are going to be spending $60 on about every game, so the idea that this is for the cash strapped consumer (who is going to have to buy a case, memory card, screen protector, etc.) seems far fetched to me. Particularly when this probably won't be on sale, whereas the regular switch probably will with free game incentives at the holidays.

Will it sell well? Yes. Is it a better value proposition? No, its a far worse one.

More kid-friendly is the wrong thought. It's for an audience that wants to play Switch games portably at an entry price of $100 less. And a $100 price difference has significant impact no matter the objective value proposition.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
While it isn't for me, it being a $100 cheap Switch in a year when a new Pokemon release is a big boom. Given the price different, seeing features like now Dock-play cut makes sense. It just seems some really just want their cake and it too around here. Namely, a smaller Switch with most of the feature of the original including the Dock play at a cheap price point.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017
They have that for 300$

this is another entry point for the device and it will still give you the ability to "upgrade" your device if you wanted.

i get why they didn't do that though, they want to push consumers who are interested in the console option to pay the premium price from the start.

I just think $100 gets downplayed far too often. Like the 2ds XL is still retailing at $150. The 3ds XL retails for $200 without a charger.

If a person that primarily games on the go is looking for a way to access Nintendo's console library, this is the new cheap entry point but they also can buy the $300 one if they want all the features Switch is known for.

The $300 Switch will still be the main attraction but having the $200 option in place of a near dead 2ds makes too much sense.

Feb 10, 2018
I have an issue with anyone saying this is more kid friendly. It might be more parent friendly for those parents who have absolutely no idea what they are buying because its a cheaper price tag.

Last I checked kids like playing on TV or tabletops, like rumble/gyro/motion, like having built in extra controllers for their friends - and probably care less about a D-pad than people from earlier generations. And if you are buying a lot of Nintendo games you are going to be spending $60 on about every game, so the idea that this is for the cash strapped consumer (who is going to have to buy a case, memory card, screen protector, etc.) seems far fetched to me. Particularly when this probably won't be on sale, whereas the regular switch probably will with free game incentives at the holidays.

Will it sell well? Yes. Is it a better value proposition? No, its a far worse one.

I would of died if I got a switch mini as a kid.
I was more then fine with an OG gameboy when I was a kid. I loved it, I would play it play it for hours, I think a lot of people will be thrilled with a switch mini, if they can't afford the normal switch.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This is better for me, I still play my WiiU and also 3DS though so WiiU and 3DS ports don't interest me.

I assume that the Lite is the same spec as the Switch when in handheld mode, I mean there is no version more powerful than the other.

Also, are all Switch games playable in portable mode (compatible with the Lite)?

I would just like the ability to port over my Animal Crossing New Leaf save-game to the Switch.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
But simultaneously also, people are idiots who won't research the Switch Lite, confuse it for a Switch, buy it unthinkingly and then get angry that it doesn't dock to a TV.

That's stretching your argument in ways that I don't think it flexes.
In what world are people simultaneously informed enough to know that the Switch is a TV capable device but uninformed enough to assume the Switch Lite also docks to a TV?

Aine

May 27, 2019
What an obtuse argument, completely ignoring the differences in performance thresholds, as well as arguing that confusion wouldn't be a problem when you have a "Switch" (that Nintendo spent 2 years in communicating its features clearly compared to the 3DS and Wii U era), that in fact, doesn't Switch.

Were you just as confused when the 2DS came out?

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This is better for me, I still play my WiiU and also 3DS though so WiiU and 3DS ports don't interest me.

I assume that the Lite is the same spec as the Switch when in handheld mode, I mean there is no version more powerful than the other.

Also, are all Switch games playable in portable mode (compatible with the Lite)?

Nearly all. You have games like 1-2 Switch and Labo that aren't going to work. I think there are a few more, but it's pretty rare.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Been looking at the launch trailer, am I wrong or is it the first time a HW is presented indicating the features that have been removed?
personally I don't think it's a good marketing operation .... honest yes ... but not great.

Oct 26, 2017
and I'm sure this is valuable information, but again, not one said it will not sell well.

A person said only $100 less for what they consider less functionality ruled them out as a potential buyer, another person agreed and said that the same product for $125 or $150 would be a more compelling proposition, then a third person came in saying they are glad forum goers don't influence Nintendo decision making. Me, the 4th person involved, just said that what the first two said was not outrageous, the third individual then attempted to move the goal posts as if people were saying this will not sell well, but in reality the first individual had already stated that it will likely sell very well.
Except I ONLY responded to the 2nd person, who said that this revision doesn't make any sense and SHOULD'VE cost $100 or $150 and be better than the original Switch model in every way shape and form, which doesn't make ANY sense, hence-why I said I'm glad that forum goers aren't influencing their products, as they obviously have no clue about anything that's not a traditional home console. Also, I'm pretty sure I only said that the system would sell well and be a good value for most other folk directly to you and not in response to what the 2nd person said. But, hey, good on you for misrepresenting my argument and butting in unnecessarily when you weren't needed to "own" the Nintendo fanboy

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
What kids are you watching or 'checking' on?

Going by the market kids have gone almost entirely mobile with their gaming so the Switch Lite fits right in with current trends.

Mine. The original Switch can be entirely mobile if you want. My kids play videogames on their iPads - usually on a table top and they like to use my Switch to play Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros - all on the floor in front of the TV with detached joy cons. I'm a little shy about them playing in handheld mode because I'm worried they'll drop it, but I don't see myself feeling anymore secure if they drop this system. (Actually maybe less secure - they drop and damage the original they might only break a joy con and if they break the main system I'd still possibly be able to salvage the joy cons and dock.)

The existing Switch fits in with current trends and is more versatile. Saving $100 only to lose TV and tabletop, rumble, motion, multiplayer options is penny wise and pound foolish IMO.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I think they my problem with this fully portable Nintendo switch lite, is that it's not sleek enough to justify its existence nor its price.
It's still too bulky, the battery life isn't improved enough, the screen isn't brighter or of higher quality, and the general design is just too conservative. Overall, it's gonna be slightly better for a solo player who wants an exclusively mobile device, but at the cost of many great functionalities disappearing, and for a price too high to be considered a real entry level (150$ would be fairer in my opinion).
If the console had passive cooling, 5-10 hours battery life, a brighter and anti reflective screen, the option for wireless Bluetooth, my opinion would have been far more positive.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people are taking the term 'revision' the wrong way. Revision typically - as we've always used it in the industry - means an updated model, which usually more or less eventually replaces the current model. That's not what this is. This is intended to co-exist with the regular Switch.

When the Pro/Advance model drops, I would see that as "the revision" as it will likely mean the regular one gets phased out of production completely (after a price drop/bundle or three). At least that's how I see it happening.

Jan 15, 2019
Must be really hard to release a console that's just "better" than the previous console. Nope, there must be some stupid twist to it, or else it wouldn't be a Nintendo console revision!

So basically, if I buy a Switch Lite, and someday want to play games on the big screen, I have to buy another Switch?! Jesus Christ. I could understand if they didn't include a dock and cables, but not being able to connect to a TV at all is just stupid. That's like, the whole point of the Switch.
Just buy a regular switch?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Been looking at the launch trailer, am I wrong or is it the first time a HW is presented indicating the features that have been removed?
personally I don't think it's a good marketing operation .... honest yes ... but not great.

It's being marketed as a dedicated handheld device, The marketing presents that in a clear and concise way

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Lol. In what universe were people expecting Nintendo to slash the price by $100 dollars yet still make it connect to a tv? Keeping in mind that Nintendo sells the dock for $89.99. What would be the point in buying a $300 dollar Switch at that point when this thing supports wireless controllers?

Some people on Era get some serious tunnel vision. This version is clearly marketed for people who don't like TV play, people with kids or folks on a budget.
Because it gives the people the option to buy a dock if they choose to? Or reuse the existing dock. If this thing somehow has better performance the the OG especially.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

It's more so being presented as an alternative to the Switch for people who want a cheap handheld only option.

Nintendo is marketing its entire family of products by presenting more choice.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I know it's a SOC I was just under the impression that Nvidia supplied the board as well in this regard, like the Jetson kits for example.
Yeah, Jetson Dev Kits just wire in HDMI and DP sockets on the board. Muxing the signals would be relatively inconvenient for devs since you need something that can demux them for most monitors.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

I would just like the ability to port over my Animal Crossing New Leaf save-game to the Switch.

With the exception of Nintendo Labo, I believe all of the games are playable on the Nintendo Switch Lite.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
That's a neat price but it's kinda the opposite of what I want since I'm only interested in playing games on my TV. So I'll wait to see what the premium model is like.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Considering how successful the 2DS was (and I considered that an abomination), at $200 this is probably going to set the world on fire. I'm even considering getting one for the missus.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's smaller, lighter, has better battery life and a D-pad. It will most likely be harder to break and be more sturdy because of no removable Joy-Cons. It has functionality that the OG does not have.

Actually, the original Switch was harder to break because of the removable Joy-Cons. The Switch was design to fall towards its side so the Joy-Cons take the blunt end of the damage. Which is how you have a video of a Switch surviving a 100 feet jump with only a broken Joy-Con. If the Switch Lite's Joy-Cons breaks you have to send in the whole system.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I was holding for the rumored Pro model, but no chance of getting it this year after this announcement right?

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Being cheaper automatically makes it more kid-friendly.

Like the poster essentially said, yeah. I would say it makes it just more an insta buy able for anyone doubting the price of entry - parents included.

There is also a discussion to be had about how many kids and how many adults want and play a Switch.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017

When people see $200 for this one and $300 for that one, it makes all the more sense.

This is not Switch 2. This is clearly a way to add a cheaper SKU to the Switch family. It is understandable sacrifices are made . . . Hence the $100 savings.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Actually, the original Switch was harder to break because of the removable Joy-Cons. The Switch was design to fall towards its side so the Joy-Cons take the blunt end of the damage. Which is how you have a video of a Switch surviving a 100 feet jump with only a broken Joy-Con. If the Switch Lite's Joy-Cons breaks you have to send in the whole system.

That's false because the rail on the Switch also broke. I saw that video. Anyway I'm going by the hands-on impressions that state that it feels more sturdy and a 100 feet drop isn't a normal use case is it?

Edit: It seems like I was thinking of another video. My apologies.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
That's because, after more than 2 years, the defining feature of Switch is arguably its library, and its ancillary features, which have over the last two years done enough off the back of their novelty to help put the Switch into homes worldwide, can now be relegated to well-understood novelties that consumers can now decide whether or not are valuable enough to them.

As I said earlier, it's not March 2017. People aren't buying the Switch today to see those controllers in action. They're buying the Switch today to play Pokemon, Odyssey, Mario Kart, Zelda, and other games. That other shit sits secondary, as is the case for almost every years-old platform under the sun. And if that stuff is not secondary to a given customer, then they can still choose to purchase the Switch that can be docked.

All in all, this just gives Nintendo the opportunity to sell the Switch to a wider range of people. Now, people who weren't interested in Switch as a console or who didn't want the Switch at $300 don't have those barrier sitting between them and Nintendo's games.

And the same will be true when Nintendo inevitably reveals a tiny, inexpensive, TV-only Switch in the future, for those people who aren't interested in handheld gaming, but who still want to play Switch games.

You are not wrong about the library being very strong and being able to carry the device, but the hardware is playing its rule even now

I'm willing to bet you that those features are still very important for the majority of Switch customers. if what you are saying is true, then the current model will be hugely affected by the Lite model because people don't care about the ability to "Switch" or to have 2 controllers out of the box anymore

but i think Switch will outsell Switch Lite and people will pay the additional 100$ outside Japan.

I just think $100 gets downplayed far too often. Like the 2ds XL is still retailing at $150. The 3ds XL retails for $200 without a charger.

If a person that primarily games on the go is looking for a way to access Nintendo's console library, this is the new cheap entry point but they also can buy the $300 one if they want all the features Switch is known for.

The $300 Switch will still be the main attraction but having the $200 option in place of a near dead 2ds makes too much sense.

It makes sense but it would've made more sense to me if at least the system had the ability to be docked if the user wanted to purchase a separate dock.