• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
D_HNsm1XkAAJySJ.jpg
The cotton candy aesthetic in the front is fire but ruined with the art in the back.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
nswitchspecstop_en_2.jpg

Why is the audio jack on the top and not bottom
I know there are some phones that do that but it always feels way better and natural on bottom and doesn't get in the way

Nov 18, 2017
I only really play my Switch in handheld and I like the look of these... but it doesn't have any advantages that would make me trade in my current Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Not for me but those colours are killer, hoping the eventual Pro lineup is available in more than grey. Also crossing fingers that this means a first-party joycon feat. dpad might be on the way

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Regular consumers will instantly know what this is, It's obvious. The mental gymnastics trying to paint this as confusing is embarrassing
You can already hook up your phone to display on a desktop display. The inability to use the TV will catch some parents off guard.

Heck I bet when the cut up this 6 minute promo for TV and youbtube ads they will include the clips that show Switches using TV but not Kozumi saying point blank you can't connect to a TV with the Lite.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
People in this thread are literally saying that it won't sell well, is DOA, is not for kids. Again what people here personally think about the price has little meaning as they are most likely not the target market. I don't think that saying they are glad that people here don't make decisions for Nintendo is outrageous either /shrug.

I don't know if Era is regularly this obtuse or if it's the Nintendo excitement that causes this. What does what people in this thread are saying has to do with the particular exchange I was having?

No one said that saying forum people not influencing Nintendo decision making is outrageous, however, the same poster that said that did say that the person that thinks this product should be cheaper was being ridiculous.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's false because the rail on the Switch also broke. I saw that video. Anyway I'm going by the hands-on impressions that state that it feels more sturdy and a 100 feet drop isn't a normal use case is it?

It was an extreme example to prove a point, like how many people took their Gameboy to war and got it hit by a rocket? Point was that the detached Joy-Cons were design to take damage if you dropped a Switch from a nice height. If the Joy-Con broke, you can easily replace it. Not really the case with the Lite.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It costs 1 third less and people are complaining... impossible to make ERA happy!

Price is great.

Oct 26, 2017
But it was likely instrumental in allowing Pokemon to reach the largest audience possible, which is the goal here as well.

Was it? Because I look back on sales and Sun and Moon barely missed out on XY's sales number, AFAIK, there wasn't a SM bundle for 2DS (maybe this was a regional thing). There's more of an argument to be made for Pokemon Go hype than the 2DS.

Pokemon now is an iffy one, considering the controversy that took place on twitter. Not saying sales will be heavily affected, but the controversy now is more significant than in the past.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm surprised they axed the switching feature entirely. I didn't expect it to be packaged with the Switch Lite, but I thought they would sell a separate dock or something.

Nov 30, 2017
I have never seen a thread move this fast ever, just an observation.

I wont be getting one personally but im sure its going to be on tthe kids xmas list as ive turned them into gamers inadvertently.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need this, but I want this. I'm assuming there's no way to have digital purchases on multiple consoles right?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
People in this thread are literally saying that it won't sell well, is DOA, is not for kids. Again what people here personally think about the price has little meaning as they are most likely not the target market. I don't think that saying they are glad that people here don't make decisions for Nintendo is outrageous either /shrug.

Well, Switch Lite isn't really 'kid-friendly'. At least no more than the regular Switch. Like I have nieces that I would never buy a Switch Lite for since they're butter fingers. They drop the normal Switch all over the place and damaged the controllers to the point of needing replacements. Which is why my bro forbid them from taking the Switch out of the Dock.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked kids also liked playing on 3DS, Phones, Tablets, but TV out is all of a sudden an essential feature. This is a portable device, it's meant for the market that buys portable devices. The Switch that connects to a TV isn't going away and is still an option for people or kids who want TV Out

In isolation, the Switch Lite is a great system. I'm saying that in comparison to the Switch I don't think the trade offs are worth it. It doesn't look anymore pocketable to me are really offering advantages that make it a better handheld than the original switch. The size change isn't dramatic and comes with a screen reduction. You give up the ability to dock to TV, its less functional as a tabletop, and you give up the ability to detach controllers for local multiplayer - which my kids do all the time.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't need this, but I want this. I'm assuming there's no way to have digital purchases on multiple consoles right?

Just login to the second console with your account that's all there is to it.

There are some caveats though; the secondary console does have to do occasional check-ins online. Your saves won't automatically pull over either you'll have to use the cloud-save feature (only supported on non-online games) or transfer them.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much exactly what I expected. I won't be changing from my normal Switch, but knowing that I've played it 99% of the time handheld I would opt for the Lite in retrospect.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So it's Switch for kids.
I get it. I mean it's perfect for them and I think it'll sell well.

I just don't know why it's gaining so much hype here right now.
If I'm already willing to buy a Switch, paying $100 more dollars for one that does more is just a given. And I'd think most adult gamers willing to make an investment in that system and ecology are the same.
So everyone I saw here, willing to trade their current system up (down?) for a Lite are just doing it for an hour (approximately) extra of battery life?

Well.... I guess I'll just wait until the end of the summer to see if Switch Pro is announced. If not, I guess I'll be buying an OG one.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was an extreme example to prove a point, like how many people took their Gameboy to war and got it hit by a rocket? Point was that the detached Joy-Cons were design to take damage if you dropped a Switch from a nice height. If the Joy-Con broke, you can easily replace it. Not really the case with the Lite.

We haven't had a drop test with a Switch Lite yet.

Well, Switch Lite isn't really 'kid-friendly'. At least no more than the regular Switch. Like I have nieces that I would never buy a Switch Lite for since they're butter fingers. They drop the normal Switch all over the place and damaged the controllers to the point of needing replacements. Which is why my bro forbid them from taking the Switch out of the Dock.

You buy a case and it's fine. Just like with any table or phone, which kids use. I was stating it was more kid-friendly by being cheaper, smaller and lighter.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The end of the hybrid aspect confirms my opinion that the great attractive of this Nintendo gen is the unified library. Now give the option for players that want performance. A Pro, only dock, powerful console.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Cutting the haptics out is a bit too far. I can get everything else, but not having rumble would be enough to keep me from getting it if I didn't already have a Switch.
It also bugs me that there isn't a proper size comparison between this and the standard Switch. It doesn't look much smaller, which would be a shame since the Switch is just too big enough to be properly portable for me.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Just login to the second console with your account that's all there is to it. The secondary console does have to do occasional check-ins though online. Your saves won't automatically pull over either you'll either have to use the cloud-save feature (only supported on non-online games) or transfer them.
And can both switches be playing the same game at the same time? This is bad news for my wallet.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I would of died if I got a switch mini as a kid.
I was more then fine with an OG gameboy when I was a kid. I loved it, I would play it play it for hours, I think a lot of people will be thrilled with a switch mini, if they can't afford the normal switch.

I would have too. Then I would have gone to a friends house and saw that his switch had a bigger screen, could attach to a TV, had a kickstand, rumble, motion, and the controllers could detach for multiplayer.

Then I would have been like, "Mom WTF, we could have had all this for only $100 more?"

Jan 31, 2019
Oh my lord Nintendo is going to dominate Xmas hardware and software sales. Think of the number of mariomakers and zeldas that will sell attached to this thing.

kdawg954

Oct 29, 2017
It makes sense but it would've made more sense to me if at least the system had the ability to be docked if the user wanted to purchase a separate dock.

Ultimately a decision like that costs more (shipping, marketing, shelf space, design, internals, etc) and makes the Lite more of a direct competitor to the OG, which they clearly don't want.

They want them to coexist and really in case of the Lite, bring in that lingering handheld market (Vita and DS) and offer that cheaper SKU for people on the edge of the fence price wise.

I deal with consumers every day, There is a high demand for a cheaper switch for families because parents don't want to put their kids in a positionto share because it ain't possible, they want them to have their own. This helps in that department.

If this was replacing the OG it would be a disaster but it isn't. All this does is increase the number of consumers who will now have access to a library of Switch games, with the best ones costing $60 and made by the Company that develops the systems.

There will be revisions to the hybrid in due time.

Jan 31, 2019
Oh my lord Nintendo is going to dominate Xmas hardware and software sales. Think of the number of mariomakers and zeldas that will sell attached to this things

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a lot of people here will be surprised once the Lite clearly outsells the old Switch. Which is what's going to happen without any doubt. Nintendo tried to exploit the detachable motion controllers with games like 1-2 Switch, but almost every recent title, 1st and 3rd party, can be played without that. It's basically like XBOX One and Kinect 2.0: Cool feature which basically no game really used.

Getting rid of the fat is a great idea. My guess is that this new Switch Lite will outsell its succesor 3:1, if the price gap remains as it is now.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In isolation, the Switch Lite is a great system. I'm saying that in comparison to the Switch I don't think the trade offs are worth it. It doesn't look anymore pocketable to me are really offering advantages that make it a better handheld than the original switch. The size change isn't dramatic and comes with a screen reduction. You give up the ability to dock to TV, its less functional as a tabletop, and you give up the ability to detach controllers for local multiplayer - which my kids do all the time.

That is a personal opinion and completely valid, doesn't speak to the viability of it as a product on the market though

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
And can both switches be playing the same game at the same time? This is bad news for my wallet.

They can't (well they can with a bit of trickery) that's what the online-check ins are for. If it sees the primary switch is playing a game or can't connect online at all it'll suspend the software until it's cleared. Just to be clear whatever you set as your primary console doesn't have to do any kind of check in.

Aine

May 27, 2019
So it's Switch for kids.
I get it. I mean it's perfect for them and I think it'll sell well.

I just don't know why it's gaining so much hype here right now.
If I'm already willing to buy a Switch, paying $100 more dollars for one that does more is just a given. And I'd think most adult gamers willing to make an investment in that system and ecology are the same.
So everyone I saw here, willing to trade their current system up (down?) for a Lite are just doing it for an hour (approximately) extra of battery life?

Well.... I guess I'll just wait until the end of the summer to see if Switch Pro is announced. If not, I guess I'll be buying an OG one.

People like to have options. This is a cheaper entry into Switch gaming, and a cheaper way to have more than one Switch around.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
A SNES style d-pad!! Finally not those horrible sharp edge pads we have had for nearly two decades. Not more painful Wii U or pro controller d-pads!! Thank you. Nintendo has woken up from its d-pad drunkenness.

I hope the pro version of the Switch has this d-pad.