• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters
Nov 3, 2017
I already own one. I was interested in improving the quality of life for the portable aspect of the Switch all while retaining the actual thing it's known for, switching between console and portable. I don't care to have a "Switch" that doesn't switch. Why argue for a less attractive package that retains that functionality?

Then accept that it's not for you and move on?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else wish the Lite was smaller? I wanted something the size of a PS Vita, but this appears to be much longer.

Edit: On second thought, I think it's the square edges. I wish they were rounded.

Jan 10, 2018
I already own one. I was interested in improving the quality of life for the portable aspect of the Switch all while retaining the actual thing it's known for, switching between console and portable. I don't care to have a "Switch" that doesn't switch. Why argue for a less attractive package that retains that functionality?

Offering what would amount to same but cheaper would actually canibalize sales, obviously enough

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
I already have a Switch, but I'm super tempted to buy one of these Lites as well just to use as a dedicated Animal Crossing device. Yellow please.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch Lite is 219 here, so not a bad price.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm surprised that the Lite cannot be docked. I thought for sure that Nintendo wouldn't pass up the opportunity to sell people standalone docks and joycons. My guess is that there's no way they could include the ability for the Lite to have tv out and still hit the $199 price-point. I'm interested to see what people discover about the internals once these are released.

Dec 18, 2018
And in that attempt they're potentially alienating buyers like myself and causing potential confusion in their market space. Dockable would have been a slam dunk in my opinion.
It's funny how many people are having trouble with this. Nintendo should of called this thing, Nintendo 2Ds Switch lite. It's a 2Ds that plays switch games and has better graphics.

If you want a switch that you can play on tv, then buy the switch. If you want a more affordable switch, good luck. As long as it keeps selling, no price cut is coming.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then this product was not intended for you and you created expectations for it that it was not meant to solve. I'm not interested in buying it either, but I see why it exists. As someone who also already owns a Switch, I still have all that functionality, and so does anyone else who has or buys the original model.

Kitsune84

Jan 2, 2018
Not really. In fact I can't really name one other passively cooled portable with an air vent.
You are correct can't name one but why would it need one. the OG switch uses max 7,5 Watts undocked moving to 16 or even 12nm would bring this down to 5,7 watts then smaller screen. So we end up with 5 watts. So no need for a fan. Or the switch lite is higher clocked that it still needs one.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm surprised that the Lite cannot be docked. I thought for sure that Nintendo wouldn't pass up the opportunity to sell people standalone docks and joycons. My guess is that there's no way they could include the ability for the Lite to have tv out and still hit the $199 price-point. I'm interested to see what people discover about the internals once these are released.

I think it's more Nintendo still wants people to buy an OG Switch, and to be fair if the Lite was dockable, what would be the incentive to still grab an OG Switch over it? I think it would kill the original Switch

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Offering what would amount to same but cheaper would actually canibalize sales, obviously enough
For the same functionality it actually wouldn't be cheaper. Docked play would require the purchase of joycon or a pro controller. Add that to Switch lite and you're pretty much at OG Switch pricing. Charging an extra $40 or so for a mini dock would put it above the OG. So basically you'd be left with the choice of a smaller or bigger Switch, like 3DS vs. 3DS XL; and for those purely interested in portable play you'd get a cheaper Switch since all the other stuff would be optional.

This should have been a homerun and Nintendo sorta fucked it up big time.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else struggling to work out which colour to go for?

They're all good, but it's hard to know how distracting the colour would be, especially with the bezels sharing the colour too, unlike the later Vita Slims.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
that turqoise is hot boy

Considering this since I don't have a switch yet and as long as the controls/power are comparable it would be perfect for travel for me.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Anyone else wish the Lite was smaller? I wanted something the size of a PS Vita, but this appears to be much longer.

Edit: On second thought, I think it's the square edges. I wish they were rounded.
I hate how huge the bezel is. So much wasted space on this device that could have housed a bigger screen, or been removed completely and made the device much smaller.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of games that can't be played?
Controllers can be synced to the system still, so even 1-2 Switch or Mario Party could be played, albiet less conveniently without a kickstand. I think Labo is the only thing that will be completely incompatible due to using the unit without controllers in some configurations.

Oct 25, 2017
Oy- I'll buy a switch someday (basically as soon as there's an Ace Attorney game), but the value propositions continue to get worse if this is replacing the 3DS. I can't imagine the games are going to be sold for less than full price when some of them are clearly portable experiences that have traditionally been sold for less.

Also, with the Lite, it feels like they've backed consumers into accepting that 1 screen is better than 2? I still really like what the DS design brought to different gameplay designs.

Finally- this makes me scratch my head a bit. I imagine the Switch Lite will sell well everywhere. But it's basically a Vita. So why didn't the Vita make it?
Vita had poor support after the launch window and had to compete with a $80 cheaper 3DS that had an original Mario, Mario Kart, and Monster Hunter by the time it launched.

"Clearly portable experiences" have upped the budget since it's an HD console.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is the real shocker. Up selling people on Joycons and pro controllers seem like a no brainer. I wonder if t no tv out was a techincal or a business decision? And if it was early on that it lead to them to chucking HD rumble too?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how huge the bezel is. So much wasted space on this device that could have housed a bigger screen, or been removed completely and made the device much smaller.
True. They could've kept that screen size and made it a lot more pocketable. I mean, I never put the Vita in my pocket, but I like the idea of a smaller device cause the current Switch is too big.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I really doubt it. Nothing in the Switch is so cutting edge that they couldn't make a profit at $200. They've been using an off-the-shelf chipset since launch, and it wasn't new at the time. Now they've got a die-shrunk version of the chip, which should be even cheaper. Their screen technology is behind even the mid-range of the tablet market.

And regardless, I would've gladly paid $250 for a Lite with docked mode.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I think it's more Nintendo still wants people to buy an OG Switch, and to be fair if the Lite was dockable, what would be the incentive to still grab an OG Switch over it? I think it would kill the original Switch

Well, if the lite was $200 by itself, but then you need to purchase a dock for $90 and joycons for $80... they (Nintendo) make more money. The lite at $200 is like a cheaper entry point into the ecosystem and then for additional costs you can get the "full" experience. It's honestly a no-brainer.

My thought is that they either removed some hardware/chip(s) from the board and/or thermals come into play and it was just not possible to do the lite at a $199 price-point and have it be dockable.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I think this is a cool looking device at an attractive price point.
I don't own a Switch yet and the original model doesn't seem too convenient for handheld play. On the other hand, I'd definitely like to play some games on a TV, so I'm a bit conflicted on what to get. I'll wait to hear impressions about the Lite, hopefully the screen will be better than the current model.

As a general comment, the presence of high-end smartphone screens is really bad for Nintendo handhelds. The 3DS and Switch look terrible in comparison.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt it. Nothing in the Switch is so cutting edge that they couldn't make a profit at $200. They've been using an off-the-shelf chipset since launch, and it wasn't new at the time. Now they've got a die-shrunk version of the chip, which should be even cheaper. Their screen technology is behind even the mid-range of the tablet market.

199 is way easier to market and sell than 249.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Controllers can be synced to the system still, so even 1-2 Switch or Mario Party could be played, albiet less conveniently without a kickstand. I think Labo is the only thing that will be completely incompatible due to using the unit without controllers in some configurations.
Thank you!

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
66464420_2353973654820755_8677725853834018816_n.png

Dec 18, 2018
You know... after sleeping on this, it hit me. They should have called this thing the P-Switch for portable switch.

More seriously, I really wish Nintendo would get its act together on accounts/digital games/cloud saves. I do travel somewhat frequently for work and at $199 I'd be tempted to just keep a Lite in my travel bag. I love the yellow the color.
Trying not to confuse consumers, Nintendo ended up confusing some gamers. They should just call it, Gameboy lite.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It has a grill that means nothing. If it's passively cooled it still needs a air vent.
And why would it need a fan if it runs the same clock speed on a smaller manufacturing proces
That's not how it works. Does an iPad have heat grills? No. Do phones? No. It has those grills for the fan to push air out. Nintendo isn't going to risk this device over heating and getting the casing hot.

Jan 10, 2018
For the same functionality it actually wouldn't be cheaper. Docked play would require the purchase of joycon or a pro controller. Add that to Switch lite and you're pretty much at OG Switch pricing. Charging an extra $40 or so for a mini dock would put it above the OG. So basically you'd be left with the choice of a smaller or bigger Switch, like 3DS vs. 3DS XL; and for those purely interested in portable play you'd get a cheaper Switch since all the other stuff would be optional.

This should have been a homerun and Nintendo sorta fucked it up big time.

So the old model should cannibalize the new model? Much better

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

The screens are only 720p, but the quality of the panel they use is one of the best I've ever seen for that size. There isn't a 7" tablet in the market with a better panel than the switch.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The screens are only 720p, but the quality of the panel they use is one of the best I've ever seen for that size. There isn't a 7" tablet in the market with a better panel than the switch.

There are barely any 7 inch tablets so that isn't really saying much.

Ipad mini screen basically any gen murders the switch screen.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
So noe we have the standard version @300 USD , Lite version @200 without the features we already know.

Now suppose the Pro version will come @400 , besides more power what other features do you think needs to include? Ethernet port? Voice chat? Third party apps?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the pokemon limited edition one, the white buttons and sticks on the regular editions don't inspire me confidence. I know they shouldn't have any problems at all, but yeah.... I'm kinda "programmed" to not like white buttons and sticks.

Dec 18, 2018
I think this is a cool looking device at an attractive price point.
I don't own a Switch yet and the original model doesn't seem too convenient for handheld play. On the other hand, I'd definitely like to play some games on a TV, so I'm a bit conflicted on what to get. I'll wait to hear impressions about the Lite, hopefully the screen will be better than the current model.

As a general comment, the presence of high-end smartphone screens is really bad for Nintendo handhelds. The 3DS and Switch look terrible in comparison.
The switch is convenient for handheld, I use it as handheld every day. It feels great. Then when I get home I play it docked.