• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
So the old model should cannibalize the new model? Much better
It probably should TBH since the original Switch is really big for a portable. However there are people who might want a tablet sized Switch with bundled dock and joycon.

Honestly not seeing how the lack of an option for those who want enhanced portability with TV out is better, but maybe it's because I'm not taking the stance of defending corporate decisions over my own interests.

Oct 26, 2017
I know this may have been asked but here goes:

do we know if the joysticks have seen any improvements? I really don;t want to have to blow air in them or worry about drifting. Unlike the current model, if something goes wrong here, the entire unit will have to be sent for repair

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
USB-C to hdmi is bleeding edge tech

I honestly do not know enough about the tech that the Switch and dock use to know whether the $90 price for the dock is reasonable or absurd. I do know that Nintendo would make more money selling someone a $200 lite then having them purchase a $90 dock and $70 joycons separately. And I know Nintendo likes money. So... I really think there was just no way to have the lite be dockable and hit the $199 price point.

Of course, stranger things have happened and I could be totally wrong.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see tear-downs and estimated cost to produce, because I'm guessing this unit is far cheaper to produce than the OG Switch. Removing the HD Rumble and IR Camera, along with producing the unit in one piece and eliminating the connecting railing and whatnot is probably a pretty significant savings for material and production. The NFC and gyro are still in though, so it's not like it's just a gameboy as far as the controller is concerned. The battery and screen are smaller, but I don't know if the higher PPI would offset savings using a smaller size. The Dock and HDMI chord aren't included, so it's assumedly just a USB charger as far as extra pack ins go. So losing all that, combined with lighter weight for shipping and packaging probably is pretty significant.

Edit: This is not a criticism of the system, I'm just curious about it from a technical point.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I'm surprised that the Lite cannot be docked. I thought for sure that Nintendo wouldn't pass up the opportunity to sell people standalone docks and joycons. My guess is that there's no way they could include the ability for the Lite to have tv out and still hit the $199 price-point. I'm interested to see what people discover about the internals once these are released.
They could have perfectly made it dockable, but I think they just wanted to make the device as different as possible from the hybrid Switch.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
That is the real shocker. Up selling people on Joycons and pro controllers seem like a no brainer. I wonder if t no tv out was a techincal or a business decision? And if it was early on that it lead to them to chucking HD rumble too?

Technically they are still doing that since people will need them for games like Mario Party, or even in the modes of some games like Super Mario Maker 2. Either way they still want people buying the original Switch and you can tell just from this thread alone that the TV out option is significant enough of a feature that the "cheap/kid friendly" model would have cannibalized the original model sales.

Jan 10, 2018
It probably should TBH since the original Switch is really big for a portable. However there are people who might want a tablet sized Switch with bundled dock and joycon.

Honestly not seeing how the lack of an option for those who want enhanced portability with TV out is better, but maybe it's because I'm not taking the stance of defending corporate decisions over my own interests.

I'm digging the passive agressive insult. Well done. Its also fine to ask a company cannibalize its own success. Just like its okay to think that it would be a dumb move. Or a fuck up big time as some would say.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. I have several devices, LCD and OLED, 1080p, 4K, SDR, HDR, and the Switch screen is just fantastic for being "only" 720p.

More importantly, it would be utterly pointless as a great many Switch games struggle to reach / maintain 720p in handheld mode. You could stick a cutting-edge 4K panel in the thing, but games would generally look worse than they do on the existing screen.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if people complaining about 720p realize the Switch has to run graphics intensive games unlike phones and tablets.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, but what about a Switch Lite like this:

11817923-1834594464268572.jpg
I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out, but here you go:
dragonanimalsky4rkot.jpg

"Terribly battery life" man the trolls are really out in full force today lol.

Yes, an HD handheld device that plays console games for 3-6 hours on a charge (probably closer to 4.5 hours on average) that is easily charged by a small battery pack for another 3+ hours is terrible. I guess most every handheld device is terrible then.
Officially, demanding games like Breath of the Wild get ~3 hours on a full charge. My experience is that it was closer to 2. They don't specify, but it was probably tested at something like 25% brightness to get those numbers.
It's a significant drop compared to previous handheld systems like the n3DS XL which regularly exceeded its "3.5 to 6.5 hours" rating for me.

[…] As for game saves, you can either transfer your saves to the new device, or use Nintendo Switch Online cloud saves to sync the saves between different devices.
*except for the games which don't permit this.
The Switch is not really set up for people to own multiple consoles - and certainly not for people to seamlessly continue progress across multiple devices.
It was designed around taking your home Switch on-the-go with you, instead of owning a Switch/Pro that stays at home and a Lite that you carry around.

They really should have kept TV-out as an option if people wanted to buy a dock (or cable) for the Lite.
I don't think thermal constraints are the issue at all -I'm sure it was a cost-reducing measure- but if they were, they should have supported TV-out with the games running in handheld mode instead.

Pretty sure Bluetooth will be one of the features the new hybrid model will have, it'll be one of those features aimed at 'avid gamers'.
I would be surprised if that was the case. I think if they were going to license a Bluetooth audio codec, they'd probably update all systems to support it.
But people are going to be in for a shock if they do add Bluetooth support, as Bluetooth audio latency is very noticeable in games.

You're sticking up for a 720p screen right now. Even the bargain basement tablets are 800p.
Display quality is more important than resolution.
But the Switch doesn't even render most games natively at 720p in handheld mode, so I don't see the need for a higher resolution display.

I would have preferred it if the Switch had a 480p3D display rather than a 720p2D one.
At least then every game would be rendered natively, and look sharp instead of blurry. And I'm not going to get over how much I miss 3D. The original 3DS was bad, but the Super-Stable 3D on the new 3DS models -at least the ones with IPS display panels- looks amazing.

Last edited:

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
More importantly, it would be utterly pointless as a great many Switch games struggle to reach / maintain 720p in handheld mode. You could stick a cutting-edge 4K panel in the thing, but games would generally look worse than they do on the existing screen.

I agree with this, and I don't mean to knock the Switch for having a low res screen.

I'm just pushing back against the idea that the Switch is such special hardware that it can't do the things people want it to do for a reasonable price. Isn't a major point of Nintendo's conservative hardware strategy to come in at a great value?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where did you read it doesn't have any rumble? It just appears to be the HD rumble.

8bitdo controllers have regular rumble and work fine, so there is no limitation.
They 'work fine' but it's a rough translation at best and you can tell it's not the sort of rumble that the game was originally designed for
Not that it matters much to me, HD Rumble is basically cellphone haptics and the fact that Nintendo actually got people to treat HD Rumble like some compelling new thing still mystifies me to this day

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Can you still use the pro controller with it, it doesn't say they just keep mentioning joy cons.

Yeah but the system doesn't have a built in kick stand so you would need a case or a cover that would let you stand the system up
Yes, for all except a select few (albeit prominent ones - Splatoon 2, animal crossing, Pokemon) which don't have cloud saves (something related to cheating through save file manipulation), in which case for those specifically you would need to click on "transfer save" on one Switch and "receive save" on the other before you go out, so much less seamless. But this is only for those games.

Interesting. I haven't really had much reason to put the cloud saving functionality to the test but I knew some games were exceptions. The save transfer function actually sounds more convenient than I would expect from Nintendo. lol. I hate that I'm seriously contemplating getting the Lite as my travel Switch...
I already own one. I was interested in improving the quality of life for the portable aspect of the Switch all while retaining the actual thing it's known for, switching between console and portable. I don't care to have a "Switch" that doesn't switch. Why argue for a less attractive package that retains that functionality?

I think it's mostly shocking because they're sacrificing that theme probably mostly to save a very little amount of money? I really can't imagine the cost to keep that tech in there would've been all that much in the grand scheme of things but I could be totally wrong...
I think it's more Nintendo still wants people to buy an OG Switch, and to be fair if the Lite was dockable, what would be the incentive to still grab an OG Switch over it? I think it would kill the original Switch

I thought about that but maybe the fact that this system can't be docked actually says more about a higher powered Switch (or Switch Pro) being further off than we all expected? Or maybe the power bump is such a minor one that they won't be rebranding it? Cause if a powerful Switch Pro was just around the corner then I don't think Nintendo would've been too bothered by the Lite cannibalizing the sales of the base Switch a little as they would've been fazing it out anyway.
Anyone else struggling to work out which colour to go for?

They're all good, but it's hard to know how distracting the colour would be, especially with the bezels sharing the colour too, unlike the later Vita Slims.

Yeah, the yellow one is weird because in some pictures it looks yellow and it some it looks gold. Also, I'm not even a Pokemon fan but that white one with the blue & red buttons/sticks is gorgeous. I just wish the Pokemon Switch Lite wasn't coming out in November and that it didn't have Pokemon on the back. lol

On the topic of bezels, I'm generally not bothered by thick bezels but with this system being noticeably smaller it would've been nice if the Lite didn't really have one.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought about that but maybe the fact that this system can't be docked actually says more about a higher powered Switch (or Switch Pro) being further off than we all expected? Or maybe the power bump is such a minor one that they won't be rebranding it? Cause if a powerful Switch Pro was just around the corner then I don't think Nintendo would've been too bothered by the Lite cannibalizing the sales of the base Switch a little as they would've been fazing it out anyway.

I honestly don't know. Without knowing exactly what the Switch Pro is, it's hard to speculate on that end

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They 'work fine' but it's a rough translation at best and you can tell it's not the sort of rumble that the game was originally designed for
Not that it matters much to me, HD Rumble is basically cellphone haptics and the fact that Nintendo actually got people to treat HD Rumble like some compelling new thing still mystifies me to this day

It's an improvement over regular rumble and you can bet the other two implement it into their next systems. How is it mystifying if a company creates something that is better than what came before and use it for marketing? It's common sense.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm really considering this purchase. I don't own a Switch and said I wasn't going to buy one until Metroid Prime 4 comes out, which could be a next gen title for all we know, but my issue is not knowing which upcoming games are going be playable on it. It seems like all the games I'm really interested in playing on it are currently supported, but what if Metroid Prime 4 can only be played with detachable Joycons?

If that were the case and I bought one now I'd be pretty pissed off, so I'm guessing I know the answer, but has Nintendo said yet if that game or any other upcoming games (ie. BOTW 2, Bayo 3, etc) are going to be playable on this or not, or should I just continue my plan of waiting until MP4 comes out to buy a Switch?

Further to that, are people who own the non-lite Switch going to be pissed off if most Nintendo games going forward don't end up requiring detachable Joycons because they want their games to be able to be played by as many Switch/Switch Lite owners as possible?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would that help solve the issue of making a smaller sturdier handheld for smaller children? That is clearly a main target for this.

It's quite baffling how something so simple, a smaller/cheaper/simplified version of a popular gaming device for families, children and lower income people, is a hard concept for all these hardcore gamers to understand. This device is for a target audience, it's not meant to replace the original Switch, yet people are acting like the Lite is already a failure because they don't see value in it.

Hell, I don't see value in half the things that "hardcore" gamers love to go on about, but I know there's a market for that. I just choose to ignore it and not spend my money on any of it.

Feb 10, 2018
Anyone else wish the Lite was smaller? I wanted something the size of a PS Vita, but this appears to be much longer.

Edit: On second thought, I think it's the square edges. I wish they were rounded.

Yes I would of liked it smaller, but it's only 1/2 longer on each side and 0.4inch taller then the vita, so it's a slightly bigger vita, plus it has a bigger screen then the vita.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's an improvement over regular rumble and you can bet the other two implement it into their next systems. How is it mystifying if a company creates something that is better than what came before and use it for marketing? It's common sense.
It's not 'better', it's not a linear improvement over old rumble, it's just different. I like HD Rumble but Switch uses 'HD Rumble' because 'HD Rumble' could fit in the the Joy Con where large physical motors could not. Nintendo intelligently leveraged the novelty stemming from that unique approach to rumble, but it's still just cellphone haptics, literally. The best rumble would be a combo of physical motor rumble, XB trigger rumble, and HD rumble, because you'd get a wider range of feedback than any individual solution could produce on its own, without losing range. HD Rumble, like motor rumble, can create sensations that the other rumble solution can't, but neither can replicate the feel of the other on its own.

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Long thread so I apologize if it's been mentioned but is the charge port still on the bottom cause that is some dumb shit.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree completely. This way the playerbase isn't split and Nintendo keeps OG Switch owners happy, while still opening the market up to new Switch owners.

There's also the fact that Nintendo wanted to release a replacement to the 3DS in the form of a small handheld.
How would that help solve the issue of making a smaller sturdier handheld for smaller children? That is clearly a main target for this.

A pro console doesn't split anything. They could have kept this new design and TV ouput. To say TV output is worth a $100 difference is ridiculous. Switch is and will always be primarily a handheld system. To make a cheaper half baked version makes no sense to me. I would rather wait for a 199 switch then get a gimped one.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I'm really considering this purchase. I don't own a Switch and said I wasn't going to buy one until Metroid Prime 4 comes out, which could be a next gen title for all we know, but my issue is not knowing which upcoming games are going be playable on it. It seems like all the games I'm really interested in playing on it are currently supported, but what if Metroid Prime 4 can only be played with detachable Joycons?

If that were the case and I bought one now I'd be pretty pissed off, so I'm guessing I know the answer, but has Nintendo said yet if that game or any other upcoming games (ie. BOTW 2, Bayo 3, etc) are going to be playable on this or not, or should I just continue my plan of waiting until MP4 comes out to buy a Switch?

Further to that, are people who own the non-lite Switch going to be pissed off if most Nintendo games going forward don't end up requiring detachable Joycons because they want their games to be able to be played by as many Switch/Switch Lite owners as possible?
I wouldn't worry about any of this. Every single-player focused game Nintendo releases is fully playable in handheld mode. And Nintendo isn't going to stop supporting any of its controller options when they all have support for parity with handheld mode. Even the weird controller limitations (no Pro support in some games) seem to have no impact on handheld mode.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
It's quite baffling how something so simple, a smaller/cheaper/simplified version of a popular gaming device for families, children and lower income people, is a hard concept for all these hardcore gamers to understand. This device is for a target audience, it's not meant to replace the original Switch, yet people are acting like the Lite is already a failure because they don't see value in it.

Hell, I don't see value in half the things that "hardcore" gamers love to go on about, but I know there's a market for that. I just choose to ignore it and not spend my money on any of it.
People aren't actually that obtuse, they just like to concern troll. It's like the LABO thread all over again: IT'S NOT FOR ME AND THEREFORE IT'S DUMB AND IT SUCKS.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I know this may have been asked but here goes:

do we know if the joysticks have seen any improvements? I really don;t want to have to blow air in them or worry about drifting. Unlike the current model, if something goes wrong here, the entire unit will have to be sent for repair

This is the sole reason I won't get this version. The analog sticks on the Switch are still a disaster in 2019, and Nintendo has said nothing to address these problems, and how they are going forward to improve them. It's been total radio silence at their end. Without the ability to change the joycons out or use a pro controller, the Switch Lite is one analog stick malfunction away from being totally useless.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I honestly do not know enough about the tech that the Switch and dock use to know whether the $90 price for the dock is reasonable or absurd. I do know that Nintendo would make more money selling someone a $200 lite then having them purchase a $90 dock and $70 joycons separately. And I know Nintendo likes money. So... I really think there was just no way to have the lite be dockable and hit the $199 price point.

Of course, stranger things have happened and I could be totally wrong.
The Switch lite is to small for the current dock, so they should have created a different dock, just for it. So they probably think that there wouldn't be enough people who would buy a Switch Lite and a dock to justify the cost. Switch Lite is easier to conceive (it doesn't need to have two different modes) and to explain as an handheld only, so even if it was possible, it's probably more profitable like that.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Bandwidth is not the reason most people use the adapter for.
Even so I take the Switch out of the dock to download games. Really backwards implementation. Even then playing wireless I have the same amount of problems as wired.

Guilt tripping the fighting game community to run lines through their house and wire up their devices is pure snobbery. Some obviously benefit from it but flapping your arms when someone plays wifi is childish and from watching FGC player streams they whine about it all the time even if the match plays fine.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even so I take the Switch out of the dock to download games. Really backwards implementation. Even then playing wireless I have the same amount of problems as wired.

Guilt tripping the fighting game community to run lines through their house and wire up their devices is pure snobbery. Some obviously benefit from it but flapping your arms when someone plays wifi is childish.
Depends on your lan adapter, some have higher bandwidths than others in practice on Switch.
And it's always been common FG courtesy to wire your shit up to play online if it's within your ability to. I'm not gonna harass ppl over it but it's not a snobby thing to ask, it takes two to tango after all.