• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
That's a nice situation, I think many people go crazy trying to get a exploitable Switch haha I assume you play more in handheld/tabletop mode than docked right?

Yep, the low res in many games hurts my eyes...

But yeah if anyone wants to pony up €300 for a near-launch day model (latest FW tho) I'd be game :P

Oct 25, 2017
I guess an issue with pricing and features is that Nintendo probably wants both systems to have value and offer different things and to not sell it at a loss.
Switch lite is a great entry level device, $100 cheaper but can play basically every game just as well.
Normal Switch is a great device with more features, but is currently $300.

I feel like the normal Switch needs a price drop or a bundle...or something to raise the value.
if they don't do something by this holiday that's 3 years without a bundle or a price drop which I don't think is smart/limiting their audience.
64GB model would be a start, especially if they fix the build quality issues.
I think that and a bundle would be pretty attractive, though maybe they'd just save that for Black Friday.

Issue would be to not make it so valuable that it makes the switch lite look like a further poor value.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised by the price difference, what I don't like is that Nintendo is taxing us Europeans again by ignoring the old practice that $=€ when they convert the prices. I waited with getting a Switch for a deal to get around that.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I guess an issue with pricing and features is that Nintendo probably wants both systems to have value and offer different things and to not sell it at a loss.
Switch lite is a great entry level device, $100 cheaper but can play basically every game just as well.

I feel like the normal Switch needs a price drop or a bundle...or something to raise the value.
if they don't do something by this holiday that's 3 years without a bundle or a price drop which I don't think is smart/limiting their audience.
I think that and a bundle would be pretty attractive, though maybe they'd just save that for Black Friday.

Issue would be to not make it so valuable that it makes the switch lite look like a further poor value.
With the Switch up double digits in several markets, the avalanche of games coming and the Lite's launch, there is no point in lowering definitively the OG price.

However they are apparently releasing a new model with some improvements so instead of lowering price they are increasing the perceived value of the 300$ SKU. It is smart.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A pro console doesn't split anything. They could have kept this new design and TV ouput. To say TV output is worth a $100 difference is ridiculous. Switch is and will always be primarily a handheld system. To make a cheaper half baked version makes no sense to me. I would rather wait for a 199 switch then get a gimped one.
I mean I don't disagree that they could've kept the TV output, but maybe there's a reason for it (others have speculated that it'd overheat or something) - but that's not the only difference either. There aren't any joy con, no HD rumble, etc. - that's got to cut down on costs too.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I don't disagree that they could've kept the TV output, but maybe there's a reason for it (others have speculated that it'd overheat or something) - but that's not the only difference either. There aren't any joy con, no HD rumble, etc. - that's got to cut down on costs too.
It justifies the $100 price difference

greelay

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, for all except a select few (albeit prominent ones - Splatoon 2, animal crossing, Pokemon) which don't have cloud saves (something related to cheating through save file manipulation), in which case for those specifically you would need to click on "transfer save" on one Switch and "receive save" on the other before you go out, so much less seamless. But this is only for those games.
What the fuck is wrong with them? That is frustrating.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Any chance the regular switch version will get a price drop even if not officially announced be Nintendo? I was always interested in it and was waiting for these new versions, but the lack of a docked option is just not a good deal for me. The upgraded version (if it is announced) will probably be way too expensive for me too, so I guess I am left with OG Switch. Oh well.

Edit: and btw Turquoise is the only possible answer. It looks amazing.

Edit2: nvm just saw the other thread about the revision/pro version.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

They've had bundles already

Mario Kart 8 Bundle
Super Mario Odyssey Bundle
Mario Tennis Aces Bundle
Pokemon Let's Go bundle

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

For $100 more you get a dock, controller adapters, TV out, detachable controllers for multiplayer along with a kickstand for tabletop, rumble, IR, and a bigger screen. It's already a better value and it has seen bundles and price drops that will continue and get better around the holidays.

I think for now the OG Switch needs to be Nintendo's premium model so its gonna stay $300. My guess is that Switch Pro will actually just be the revised OG Switch (bigger screen/no bevel, faster, improved dock, similar size to make joy cons compatible) and will take the place of the existing Switch so that Nintendo isn't selling 3 different versions long term.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the more I see the Lite the more I wish it had TV output. I'd totally upgrade if it did. Love the Turqoise model, it's smaller, better battery life, etc. I could live without joy cons since i already have so many controllers

I was tempted to get one of these pre-reveal for my wife but without TV it just seems like an inferior purchase when you could spend $100 more and get a lot more functionality.

Feb 10, 2018
People aren't actually that obtuse, they just like to concern troll. It's like the LABO thread all over again: IT'S NOT FOR ME AND THEREFORE IT'S DUMB AND IT SUCKS.

I think there's a good deal of people who actually wanted a switch mini to be exactly like a OG switch but just smaller, and they are just expressing this.
It's not all malicious.

Jul 26, 2018
Ok... so...

The Lite version sounds awesome. But if the pro model is ever coming, how will it exactly be pro? Is it better performance, resolution, frame rates on console port only? What about the portable mode? Will it be the same thing? I don't have a Switch but I'm seriously considering getting he Switch lite now.. looks sweet!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok... so...

The Lite version sounds awesome. But if the pro model is ever coming, how will it exactly be pro? Is it better performance, resolution, frame rates on console port only? What about the portable mode? Will it be the same thing? I don't have a Switch but I'm seriously considering getting he Switch lite now.. looks sweet!
If WSJ is to be accurate, it might at least have a better screen.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I think there's a good deal of people who actually wanted a switch mini to be exactly like a OG switch but just smaller, and they are just expressing this.
It's not all malicious.

I just wanted a dockable Lite.

The functionality is there, they could have sold a stand alone dock or made it to fit the current dock. (USBC+Tegra) But they chose not to, and force the switch to not dock through software.

That's a bit frustrating.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok... so...

I think the initial report mentioned a higher resolution screen. So I'm guessing a 1080p screen for a start

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

The functionality is there, they could have sold a stand alone dock or made it to fit the current dock. (USBC+Tegra) But they chose not to, and force the switch to not dock through software.

How do we know it's just a software "stop," and not an engineering concern (overheating, packaging, etc) ?

Oct 25, 2017
With the Switch up double digits in several markets, the avalanche of games coming and the Lite's launch, there is no point in lowering definitively the OG price.

However they are apparently releasing a new model with some improvements so instead of lowering price they are increasing the perceived value of the 300$ SKU. It is smart.
I did mention that I felt they had to either: drop the price, bundle it, or raise the value. At the very least. Doubling the internal storage seems like a nice enough comprimise, though I'm pretty sure sony and MS will be dropping the price of their machines this holiday so it might not be enough. Bundling in something like super mario party, which doesn't work on the Switch lite, might be a good idea.
They've had bundles already

Mario Kart 8 Bundle
Super Mario Odyssey Bundle
Mario Tennis Aces Bundle
Pokemon Let's Go bundle
By bundles I mean cost saving bundles. IIRC, all of those except the MK8 bundles were like $350+. Mario Kart 8 Bundle was black friday only.
The most they've done is bundling in $30 in eshop currency which is on going in europe and japan.
For $100 more you get a dock, controller adapters, TV out, detachable controllers for multiplayer along with a kickstand for tabletop, rumble, IR, and a bigger screen. It's already a better value and it has seen bundles and price drops that will continue and get better around the holidays.

I think for now the OG Switch needs to be Nintendo's premium model so its gonna stay $300. My guess is that Switch Pro will actually just be the revised OG Switch (bigger screen/no bevel, faster, improved dock, similar size to make joy cons compatible) and will take the place of the existing Switch so that Nintendo isn't selling 3 different versions long term.
It's a better value for us, but anyone that doesn't care about those features would likely prefer $100 off. It's a careful balance that needs to be struck between giving enough value for both to exist.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do we know it's just a software "stop," and not an engineering concern (overheating, packaging, etc) ?
We know how video out works, it's a separate chip on the mainboard. They can just not put that chip on there and that will prevent TV play unless you do a hardware hack.

Or they could do a software lock, but those chips cost money

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Packaging what?

It appears to have a fan just like the Og Switch. The original switch doesn't really heat up much during docked play. I don't have any reason to suppose that, but we likely won't know till someone opens one up.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm digging the passive agressive insult. Well done. Its also fine to ask a company cannibalize its own success. Just like its okay to think that it would be a dumb move. Or a fuck up big time as some would say.
So the new Switch revision outselling an older one is "cannibalizing their success"?

There's still a clear product delineation between a smaller more portable Switch and a larger one bundled with joycon and a dock. It shouldn't matter to Nintendo if one SKU is more popular than the other since for docked play they'd take in the same revenue for both.

Honestly where is the upside of a smaller Switch that doesn't actually Switch?

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Because I had so much fun compiling this earlier, I added in the Game Boys...

1989 GB $90 / £70
1998 GBC $70 / £80
2001 GBA $100 / £80
2003 GBA SP $100 / £90
2005 GB Micro $100 / £70
2005 DS $150 / £130
2006 DS lite $130 / £100
2009 DSi $170 / £150
2010 DSi XL $190 / £160
2011 3DS $250 / £230
2012 3DS XL $200 / £180
2013 2DS $130 / £110
2015 New 3DS $180 / £150
2015 New 3DS XL $200 - $216 / £170
2017 2DS XL $150 -> $157 / £130
2017 Switch $300 -> $313 / £280
2019 Switch lite $200 / £200

...and here are the prices individually adjusted for inflation! (fun times)

1989 GB $186 / £171
1998 GBC $110 / £138
2001 GBA $144 / £128
2003 GBA SP $139 / £140
2005 GB Micro $131 / £103
2005 DS $197 / £191
2006 DS lite $165 / £142
2009 DSi $203 / £198
2010 DSi XL $223 / £202
2011 3DS $285 / £275
2012 3DS XL $223 / £209
2013 2DS $143 / £124
2015 New 3DS $195 / £163
2015 New 3DS XL $216 / £185
2017 2DS XL $157 / £134
2017 Switch $313 / £289
2019 Switch lite $200 / £200

So in the end I guess it's pretty competitively priced?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten around to this idea. Someone made an iPod touch and iPhone comparison and this is exactly that.

199 will also get Nintendo closer to its goal of one Switch per child goal that Nintendo has.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
It's a better value for us, but anyone that doesn't care about those features would likely prefer $100 off. It's a careful balance that needs to be struck between giving enough value for both to exist.

To me the ability to use the system on a TV and share with multiple users makes it a better value for most families. The Switch Lite is a more personal, 1 person system.

I really couldn't recommend it over the original even for single adults. There are several games out there that are notoriously worse or low performance in handheld mode (eyes XC2) and a lot of titles that aren't optimized for handheld and already have ridiculously small in-game text in handheld model on the original Switch's bigger portable screen.

senj

Nov 6, 2017

We'll know in September when we see a tear down but they've likely removed the relevant hardware from the Switch Lite to reduce manufacturing costs. "USBC+Tegra" is not, by itself, enough to support DisplayPort alternate mode over the USB3 connection.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Okay? That doesn't justify its price to me as a consumer.

Consumers want shit for free. Even if it was $150 there would still be some saying it's too expensive.

It's a newer processor that allows the system to be smaller (due to smaller battery needed and probably smaller fan). Advancements in tech isn't always just about more power.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
And yet, you've ignored the other poster who asked you to explain how you know it "could" be cheaper. It's already $100 cheaper, yet you know it "could" be moreso?

What price? What's the production cost? You need to know those things to make that judgement.
Neither the other poster nor you have that information either.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
We'll know in September when we see a tear down but they've likely removed the relevant hardware from the Switch Lite to reduce manufacturing costs. "USBC+Tegra" is not, by itself, enough to support DisplayPort alternate mode over the USB3 connection.

Wait, doesn't the Tegra have that on its SoC?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really like how Nintendo basically said "We saw you try and fail the Vita, Sony, so here's how to do it right".

I fucking ADORE the Vita, it's probably my favorite platform for its indies and niche Japanese titles.

The Lite is basically the Switch picking up the torch from where the Vita left off, with actual mainstream appeal and system sellers, and portable but console-budget games.

The Lite is everything the Vita wanted to be.

I love that.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, doesn't the Tegra have that on its SoC?
The Tegra has USB 3 on its SOC. But no, it doesn't have a DP/USB 3 muxer.

The iFixit Teardown makes this clear, because you can clearly see this additional crossbar IC on the board: https://www.diodes.com/products/con...otocol-switches/usb-switches/part/PI3USB30532

That thing's entire purpose is to take a straight USB 3 stream and a straight DisplayPort stream and mux the DP connection into the USB3 signal. Basically it's adding the alternate mode capabilities the Tegra doesn't ship with.

I did some napkin math in another post but basically if I wanted to buy 3,500 ICs today I'd pay about $1.50 per. Wild ass guess, Nintendo at their volumes might get them as low as a $1 per.

So, cut that chip off the board of the Lite, wire the Display directly to the SOC, and they make an extra million dollars for every million Lites they sell.

Financially it makes sense to me that if TV Out is off the table for the Lite, they'd go for the extra profit rather than just lock it via software. But like I said, we'll have a concrete idea in September when we see a teardown

Oct 31, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised by the price difference, what I don't like is that Nintendo is taxing us Europeans again by ignoring the old practice that $=€ when they convert the prices. I waited with getting a Switch for a deal to get around that.

Taxes are included in the EU price. Not sure how much those are for such a product though.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
... You're the one who made the comment that it could be cheaper.

It's on you to explain how you know that.
Its the same resolution screen but smaller sized (and with no auto brightness sensor). No other upgrades to the Tegra processor that they revealed. Only 30mins more battery estimation? No connectivity with bluetooth headsets. No Labo kits compatibility. No table-top mode. No tv output option. Not 1:1 library of games with original Switch. No joy-cons.

But you're the defending the possibility that it "could've" been cheaper. Now it's up to you to explain based on whatever production cost information you have that it "could" not have been cheaper. If you have something better than "businesses don't work like that", please do enlighten me.