• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch is already a proto Lite as since a couple of weeks ago it does not switch anymore. It charges but does not output to TV.

Jan 10, 2018
So the new Switch revision outselling an older one is "cannibalizing their success"?

There's still a clear product delineation between a smaller more portable Switch and a larger one bundled with joycon and a dock. It shouldn't matter to Nintendo if one SKU is more popular than the other since for docked play they'd take in the same revenue for both.

Honestly where is the upside of a smaller Switch that doesn't actually Switch?

This is not a revision, it is a alternative model not replacing the current model, covering different needs. People without a TV, people sharing a TV or people who simply don't care about TV functionality. I know, Era exclusively consists of people who have a TV, live in households where every single member has their own TV and Switch/PS4/Pro/ One/S/X under every single TV, but you know, there is a real world out there which bought the handheld only 3DS 75 million times. And Nintendo is dumb enough to adress that market.

But yes, I get your demand for a revision and I'm not opposed to it. But corporate apologist whore that I am, I get why Nintendo isn't adressing that low demand yet.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Its the same resolution screen but smaller sized (and with no auto brightness sensor). No other upgrades to the Tegra processor that they revealed. Only 30mins more battery estimation? No connectivity with bluetooth headsets. No Labo kits compatibility. No table-top mode. No tv output option. Not 1:1 library of games with original Switch. No joy-cons.

But you're the defending the possibility that it "could've" been cheaper. Now it's up to you to explain based on whatever production cost information you have that it "could" not have been cheaper. If you have something better than "businesses don't work like that", please do enlighten me.
No, not that guy but the burden if explanation is still on you. You haven't placed numbers on any of those things (because you can't). If you want to say it's worth less than $200 to you, that's fine, but to say it "could've been cheaper" is generally taken to mean the cost of manufacturing itself is significantly lower, which you don't know.

Which goes back to "that's not how it works"; your personal valuation of a product does not determine its price or cost to make. That's what is being argued.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The Tegra has USB 3 on its SOC. But no, it doesn't have a DP/USB 3 muxer.

The iFixit Teardown makes this clear, because you can clearly see this additional crossbar IC on the board: https://www.diodes.com/products/con...otocol-switches/usb-switches/part/PI3USB30532

That thing's entire purpose is to take a straight USB 3 stream and a straight DisplayPort stream and mux the DP connection into the USB3 signal. Basically it's adding the alternate mode capabilities the Tegra doesn't ship with.

I did some napkin math in another post but basically if I wanted to buy 3,500 ICs today I'd pay about $1.50 per. Wild ass guess, Nintendo at their volumes might get them as low as a $1 per.

So, cut that chip off the board of the Lite, wire the Display directly to the SOC, and they make an extra million dollars for every million Lites they sell.

Financially it makes sense to me that if TV Out is off the table for the Lite, they'd go for the extra profit rather than just lock it via software. But like I said, we'll have a concrete idea in September when we see a teardown
I believe that the purpose of this is that there's no other way to do charging, data transfer and video out concurrently.

But the reason the Lite does not have any kind of video out is likely because they have not designed the thermals around running in the higher resolution TV mode. In order to make it smaller/cheaper/lighter.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Any indication so far that the lite also got the same rumoured CPU change?

I don't think it will matter - the battery life is already stated with a nice example. It doesn't sound like a massive difference at all, and the potential changes being made to the standard sku (that also may be in Lite) are likely to make negligible difference, as with other systems. Currently you get "potentially" an extra hour out of BotW, while also having smaller screen / no rumble / no joycon charging etc. Those changes alone may account for the majority of that difference

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I love the price and it looks cute, but I find playing switch handheld to be pretty uncomfortable. Especially with any game that uses the right stick for camera. Also, the current joycons are delicate and the new design has yet to be proven.

A grip could probably solve the ergonomics, though! A thing I don't use now because my switch is mostly docked.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I believe that the purpose of this is that there's no other way to do charging, data transfer and video out concurrently.
Well, yeah.

USB 3 has tons and tons and tons of optional things. High power charging? Optional. DisplayPort over alternate mode? Optional. Thunderbolt 3 over alternate mode? Optional. Etc? Optional. Manufacturers need to decide on what they want to support, and then cobble together a base USB 3 controller and any and all additional ICs that implement the optional functionality.

That's why USB-C ports are such a consumer mess. This port on your laptop will charge, but this one won't. This one does DisplayPort, this one doesn't. This one is Thunderbolt 3 only, no USB 3. This one is the other way around.

Manufacturers save money by leaving out any optional ICs whenever they can.

So yeah, the USB 3 spec technically allows for charging, data transfer over USB 3, and video and audio out concurrently, but none of that is guaranteed for any given port -- you get it by implementing a bunch of optional parts of the spec.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
If you want to say it's worth less than $200 to you, that's fine, but to say it "could've been cheaper" is generally taken to mean the cost of manufacturing itself is significantly lower, which you don't know.
Except my first response was to the person who said $100 difference is justified, who did not put any number on that justification either.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a revision, it is a alternative model not replacing the current model, covering different needs. People without a TV, people sharing a TV or people who simply don't care about TV functionality. I know, Era exclusively consists of people who have a TV, live in households where every single member has their own TV and Switch/PS4/Pro/ One/S/X under every single TV, but you know, there is a real world out there which bought the handheld only 3DS 75 million times. And Nintendo is dumb enough to adress that market.

But yes, I get your demand for a revision and I'm not opposed to it. But corporate apologist whore that I am, I get why Nintendo isn't adressing that low demand yet.
If only there was a product that could address both the home console and the portable market at the same time...

Feb 10, 2018
For $100 more you get a dock, controller adapters, TV out, detachable controllers for multiplayer along with a kickstand for tabletop, rumble, IR, and a bigger screen. It's already a better value and it has seen bundles and price drops that will continue and get better around the holidays.

I think for now the OG Switch needs to be Nintendo's premium model so its gonna stay $300. My guess is that Switch Pro will actually just be the revised OG Switch (bigger screen/no bevel, faster, improved dock, similar size to make joy cons compatible) and will take the place of the existing Switch so that Nintendo isn't selling 3 different versions long term.

It will have yo be differated with the naming, unless they dis continue the old switch, like smartphone + tablet makers do.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Its the same resolution screen but smaller sized (and with no auto brightness sensor). No other upgrades to the Tegra processor that they revealed. Only 30mins more battery estimation? No connectivity with bluetooth headsets. No Labo kits compatibility. No table-top mode. No tv output option. Not 1:1 library of games with original Switch. No joy-cons.

But you're the defending the possibility that it "could've" been cheaper. Now it's up to you to explain based on whatever production cost information you have that it "could" not have been cheaper. If you have something better than "businesses don't work like that", please do enlighten me.

What price do you think it should be?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I would have loved a 199$ model that has TV support. I would either play handheld or with a pro controller on TV.

I've mentioned this before but this version with rumble and a small dock that could double as a kickstand with TV out would be amazing (and it could be sold as a separate accessory to keep the price low). But as others have pointed out, that model would probably cannibalize the existing OG Switch.

I'm okay with the idea of a portable model, my main disappointment is no rumble.

Jan 10, 2018
Cool, but make a smaller revision to increase portability. It's really very simple unless you're Nintendo.

Let me repeat reality one last time.

A company can:

A) release a revision of a product selling gangbusters, satisfying the demand they are already satisfying

or

B) release a product which caters to different demands and sell more units within the same family of hardware.

And yes, Nintendo is insanely dumb for picking the obvious option b), which after the insane failures like Apple and Android devices, can only lead to their doom and satisfyied costumers.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Has anyone posted nintendoomed™️ yet? Lol. Anyway, can't pass up some new Nintendo hardware. Yellow and turquoise please! =^D

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I really like how Nintendo basically said "We saw you try and fail the Vita, Sony, so here's how to do it right".

I fucking ADORE the Vita, it's probably my favorite platform for its indies and niche Japanese titles.

The Lite is basically the Switch picking up the torch from where the Vita left off, with actual mainstream appeal and system sellers, and portable but console-budget games.

The Lite is everything the Vita wanted to be.

I love that.
Except the feature rich OS the Vita had. Switch doesn't have that, and it's worse off for it.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Yikes. Seems like an easy thing to put in? I have no idea just guessing. Wonder why it was left out completely.
Money?

Say those linear steppers cost $0.50 for the pair of them.

Sell five million Lites, that's $2,500,000 spent on stepper motors. Now, what's market research say about rumble on a mobile device? Are you likely to lose more than $2,500,000 in sales profits if you launch without it? No? Cut them.

Everything's "easy to put in". It all cuts into your profits, though.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Money?

Say those linear steppers cost $0.50 for the pair of them.

Sell five million Lites, that's $2,500,000 spent on stepper motors. Now, what's market research say about rumble on a mobile device? Are you likely to lose more than $2,500,000 in sales profits if you launch without it? No? Cut them.

Everything's "easy to put in". It all cuts into your profits, though.

Will never see that research, but would be interesting to see. I can tell you that for me this is actually an issue that has me on the buy/wait line and I've seen several posters in this thread react with some measure of disbelief on this issue.

Whether intentional or not, Nintendo is being stealthy and concealing this no rumble thing. They widely announced no HD Rumble and everyone is repeating that. My initial reaction was no big deal because I assumed that just meant it would have basic rumble features. I really had to dig through articles to find an answer yesterday. (I played DOOM entirely portable for example - rumble and feeling the guns was a big deal.)

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Yes, for all except a select few (albeit prominent ones - Splatoon 2, animal crossing, Pokemon) which don't have cloud saves (something related to cheating through save file manipulation), in which case for those specifically you would need to click on "transfer save" on one Switch and "receive save" on the other before you go out, so much less seamless. But this is only for those games.

Ugh, forgot about this. I was really thinking about grabbing one of these to use alongside my Switch but those three games specifically will all sting to not always have at the ready.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with them? That is frustrating.
Ugh, forgot about this. I was really thinking about grabbing one of these to use alongside my Switch but those three games specifically will all sting to not always have at the ready.
Well, maybe they intend doing something further about this, since in the cnet article it says "but how games would transfer over is ambiguous; a situation Nintendo is working on clearing up. Speaking to CNET, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser says plans are in motion for multi-device solutions. "Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences," Bowser told CNET. "More to come on there, but that is the intention."

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
"HD rumble" just manifests as the Switch angrily buzzing at you in most games. It's a total gimmick.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Well, maybe they intend doing something further about this, since in the cnet article it says "but how games would transfer over is ambiguous; a situation Nintendo is working on clearing up. Speaking to CNET, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser says plans are in motion for multi-device solutions. "Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences," Bowser told CNET. "More to come on there, but that is the intention."

Ah, nice to hear! Fingers crossed.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except the feature rich OS the Vita had. Switch doesn't have that, and it's worse off for it.
I don't have one, so I didn't know that before this thread. My b. :x

Well at least it should be relatively easy to fix with a software update, no?

the fact that they have a d-pad and normal switch users have to buy a gimped 3rd party joycon for it is stupid.
The reason the OG Joycons don't have one is quite clearly because every individual joycon needs to function as its own mini controller with face buttons. Nintendo should absolutely make an official dpad Joycon but it not being the default is very understandable.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest the Vita OS is one of the things that annoyed me about the system. The bubbles, the folders, the useless apps that Sony barely supported.

I'm fine with the minimal life on Switch. I have everything else for multimedia consumption.