• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Had they released a violet version with dark buttons, I guess I would have become weak. Luckily I really don't like any of the colors. My neon switch is nicer!

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
might be a stupid line of reasoning but maybe there's no rumble because that could make dropping the Lite easier. never had that problem with my rumble controller though soo

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just a minor question, why are they still calling the Lite "Switch" when you can't Switch between docked and portable anymore. Because you can Switch it on and off?
;P

Oct 27, 2017
If only there was a product that could address both the home console and the portable market at the same time...

That product remains too expensive for some people like me and for those of us who don't care about docking to a TV, who just want a pure handheld device? Switch lite does just that at a more attractive price point.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
My god guys, it is called switch because if it wasn't,nintendo would have to heavily advertise to people that yes, this new portable also plays switch games. And that would be more work and could not go well, so they just call it switch lite to tell people "here, a budget limited version of that console if you're not comfortable expending too much money on it". That's why on the box the word LITE is in big ass letters compared to the rest.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys I have a question I've been dying to ask. Can anyone tell me why the PlayStation Portable is called PlayStation if it's not stationary? Seems like a huge oversight from Sony.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had they released a violet version with dark buttons, I guess I would have become weak. Luckily I really don't like any of the colors. My neon switch is nicer!
pwHwwWM.png

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
It's too bad it can't be docked, even if they sold a separate one given the difference in dimensions, but what would definitely make me pre-order one of these would be if you could use it as a gamepad with your docker OG Switch.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
You never saw the appeal of the Game Boy, DS, or 3DS? It's a Switch, minus tv out and rumble, for $100 less than what a regular Switch cost. This isn't complicated.

The Game Boy wasn't a hybrid nor the DS or the 3DS, they were meant to be ONLY handhelds(although the Game Boy got things like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player down the line), this Switch loses one aspect that made it the Switch.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
what percentage of the switch library doesnt have handheld modes?

i dont have one, but i thought that was a major selling point. Why wouldnt you have a handheld mode?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, forgot about this. I was really thinking about grabbing one of these to use alongside my Switch but those three games specifically will all sting to not always have at the ready.

Yes, especially these three games. These are all pretty much 'lifetime' games that many spend hundreds or thousands of hours with.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Just a minor question, why are they still calling the Lite "Switch" when you can't Switch between docked and portable anymore. Because you can Switch it on and off?
;P

Because Switch is the name of the Console family, and the name on the boxes with the games you can play on it.

The defining feature of the Switch, be it Og or Lite is that it plays Switch games.

You people really shouldnt take everything so literal, the Wii didnt piss in your living room everytime you booted it up, but it was still called the Wii.

They call it the Switch Lite because all the games have the Switch name and Logo on the box, and the name has brand recognition.
You dont just throw that away so your are "technically correct" when describing what the thing does with the name.

Oct 26, 2017
You never saw the appeal of the Game Boy, DS, or 3DS? It's a Switch, minus tv out and rumble, for $100 less than what a regular Switch cost. This isn't complicated.

Idk how you can say that a 3DS/gameboy/etc. is a Switch. They weren't built to be hybrid in the same way that the Switch was. Not to mention, the handhelds doesn't have two different performance thresholds like the Switch does.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
;P

Imagine Nintendo calling it the Gameboy S or some shit. Average Joe is at the store and looking to get a new system, and sets his sights on the $200 Gameboy:

Joe: "Oh sweet, Nintendo dropped a new Gameboy! Where are the games at?"
GameStop: "oh they're right here!"
Joe: "but those say Switch. This is a Gameboy"
GameStop: "...well yeah, but it plays Switch games"
Joe: "okay, but where are the Gameboy games for it?"
GameStop: "sir it only plays Switch games"
Joe: "well then why is it called a Gameboy?"

....as a former GameStop and Disc Replay employee, this is exactly the shit you'd run into if Nintendo called the Lite anything other than Switch. But I guess Era marketing degrees are all the rage right now

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

i dont have one, but i thought that was a major selling point. Why wouldnt you have a handheld mode?
Labo kits (Variety, Robot, Vehicle, VR), 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party, Fitness Boxing, and Just Dance (17, 18, 19, upcoming 20) don't work while handheld. Except for the Labo kits, the latter games are still technically playable if you have separate Joy-Cons and (ideally) some way of propping the system up.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labo kits, 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party, and Just Dance don't work while handheld. Except for the Labo kits, if you have separate Joy-Cons, the latter games are still technically playable if you have some way of propping the system up.
Just Dance can theoretically work since you can still connect your phone

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

They recently humble bragged about having 2500+ games on the system, so since about 4 games(counting the labo kits as one) dont have out of box support for the Lite, the percentage is about 0.16% of the current library.

Jan 15, 2019
The Game Boy wasn't a hybrid nor the DS or the 3DS, they were meant to be ONLY handhelds(although the Game Boy got things like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player down the line), this Switch loses one aspect that made it the Switch.
Right, and the Switch Lite will have all the appeal of a handheld, which has proven to be a pretty successful hardware model. I don't see the issue. The existence of the Switch hasn't killed demand for dedicated handheld devices.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Idk how you can say that a 3DS/gameboy/etc. is a Switch. They weren't built to be hybrid in the same way that the Switch was. Not to mention, the handhelds doesn't have two different performance thresholds like the Switch does.
...they're comparing them to the Switch Lite. I don't know how you can't see the similarity. Nintendo's had a cheap handheld only option since the GB, and with the 3DS reaching the final stages of being phased out they want a replacement for that market.

Yes, the appeal is that it's cheaper; that was a huge part of the appeal of the Game Boy and DS lines. People who liked cheaper handheld gaming then will probably still like it now. It's not a coincidence that they got the Lite down to $199.99, where the 3DS XL and New 3DS XL launched.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
200 bucks? Nintendo is about to make so much money... As for me, looks like I'm still sticking it out for a hardware upgrade to the original. My switch will mostly be used as a console so this isn't for me.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Switch is the name of the Console family, and the name on the boxes with the games you can play on it.

The defining feature of the Switch, be it Og or Lite is that it plays Switch games.

You people really shouldnt take everything so literal, the Wii didnt piss in your living room everytime you booted it up, but it was still called the Wii.

They call it the Switch Lite because all the games have the Switch name and Logo on the box, and the name has brand recognition.
You dont just throw that away so your are "technically correct" when describing what the thing does with the name.

Forget it, my friend. Speaking as a professional naming consultant by day, let me tell you: you wouldn't believe how hard it is to sell (or unsell, for that matter) a name. Educate people all you want, but at the end of the day, if people think a name is good/bad because "I dunno, I just (don't) like it", there's very little you can do to change their mind unless they're strategically-minded in the first place.

... But here's my attempt at explaining why the "Switch" name isn't much of an issue for this product anyway:

- 2DS required a name change because, for all intents and purposes, "3DS" was a descriptive name. It does 3D, and so it has the word "3D" in it. It's very much a dumb idea to tie your product to a fully descriptive name like this, because you never know how your brand will evolve over time, and that name might not reflect the nature of the product a few years down the line, as we saw with the 3DS.

- Switch doesn't really require a name change because it's not descriptive. It's suggestive. It's evocative. Sure, one way to interpret the name is "switch between home and portable", but it's not like the system is literally called "The Hybrid" or "The Mixed Use System" either. The word "Switch" has several meanings, like "switch things up". It's vague enough to work. Plus, it's just a cool-looking and cool-sounding word. Give people a few weeks and they'll get completely used to pretty much any name. They won't even think about what it means or could mean. It'll just be synonymous with "that product I know".

I mean, do you hear people say that naming a drink "Coke" is a disaster because it doesn't even contain coke (anymore) and/or it sounds like the drug? And do you often hear people complain about the name "Wii" anymore? That shit stopped after two weeks on gaming forums, and probably never even was a thing among the general public, because people just don't think hard about this stuff. They just take it at face value, unless they're heavily invested in it in the first place - as forum goers are -, or unless they're specifically asked to think about it. Which they're not.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or could they totally have kept the same screen size if they just minimized those sizable bezels?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
;P
People think the value of the Switch is that the *hardware* can "switch" between the handheld and the TV stuff, and that this is what the name means.

This is incorrect.

The value of the Switch is that it LETS YOU CHOOSE to play your games THE WAY YOU WANT TO. It is the *games* that "switch" from handheld to TV to tabletop; offering hardware that's specifically designed for all three uses is just one way that value can be delivered.

If I have a Switch Lite, I can still switch from using it in handheld to using it with a controller. That's a "switch." But I can also stop playing on my Switch Lite and pick up my game on my flagship Switch. That's also a "switch."

In this way, we see that Switch is about FLEXIBILITY. But how can Switch be MORE flexible? One way is by not making you pay for functionality you don't need. So they have an option for Switch where you don't need all the extras for TV play if you don't want them. They could conceivably also offer a TV only version.

None of this interferes with the core values of the brand. You can still play Switch games however you want, but now you can choose to buy only what you need and not pay for what you don't need.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I get kinda bummed out thinking about the kids that will get this for Christmas then feel disappointed by the things they can't do with it. Wanna play Mario Party? You need $80 joy cons. Want to use that cool Labo VR? ...Sorry dude.

I completely understand why Nintendo made this, and it's clearly not for me, but I can't help but feel like they made a few too many concessions. The Switch's biggest feature was "play anywhere, any way" now it's "play one specific way".

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to see how Nintendo handles the account system/eshop once it is increasingly likely that a household will own multiple switch units. I'll probably end up getting one for my son, and I'm sure I'll have to put some thought into how our account(s) are set up.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It is a Handheld only device...it is a portable only system where you can play all the Switch games. I think there is a big market for this device. Everyone else can buy a normal Switch if they want the hybrid functions and joycons.

I own a Switch but im buying this day one.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
For all those people like me who thought Nintendo should just commit to one style of console back when the Switch was announced, time just proved us right: it should've been mobile all along.

I'm sticking with my "old" Switch and I'm glad I have the option of switching between mobile or docked mode (pun very intended), but I guess we could've lived without one or the other if the option were never there from the start.

Having said that, I can totally see Nintendo's following console being a portable device that can connect to an HDMI dongle wirelessly. Best of both worlds.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
It's too bad it can't be docked, even if they sold a separate one given the difference in dimensions, but what would definitely make me pre-order one of these would be if you could use it as a gamepad with your docker OG Switch.
It wont display in 1080p at all due to the low energy revised chip set being used, this helped keep the cost down and improve battery life, just buy the flagship Switch if you need that ability and pay for it

I'm sorry for not read the whole thread but... we won't be able to have the same account logged in both consoles, right?

Really curious to see how Nintendo handles the account system/eshop once it is increasingly likely that a household will own multiple switch units. I'll probably end up getting one for my son, and I'm sure I'll have to put some thought into how our account(s) are set up.

Welp... 18 minutes after.
Would be great to have at least 2 switchs with the same account. At least with traditional switch and lite one.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
I already own one. I was interested in improving the quality of life for the portable aspect of the Switch all while retaining the actual thing it's known for, switching between console and portable. I don't care to have a "Switch" that doesn't switch. Why argue for a less attractive package that retains that functionality?
Then accept that it's not for you and move on?

It was simple. I conceded that this was not for me and decided not to complain for complaining sakes (except the Bluetooth support argh!)...