• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no ambient light sensor kinda makes me sad since I like using it on my phone and Surface Pro

but I can look past it

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I wonder if this opens the door for a "Switch" console that doesn't have a portable component...

I personally enjoy the Switch-ability of the Switch but I would have also thought a portable only version wouldn't be likely to happen either.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My wife was possibly interested in playing Pokemon this year before, but now with this announcement she definitely wants a turquoise Switch Lite and Pokemon. And also to play Animal Crossing next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I get kinda bummed out thinking about the kids that will get this for Christmas then feel disappointed by the things they can't do with it. Wanna play Mario Party? You need $80 joy cons. Want to use that cool Labo VR? ...Sorry dude.

I completely understand why Nintendo made this, and it's clearly not for me, but I can't help but feel like they made a few too many concessions. The Switch's biggest feature was "play anywhere, any way" now it's "play one specific way".
I don't think there are a lot of kids that are disappointed by not being able to play labo nor mario party on a handheld.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This thread is just absolutely packed with historically bad takes. On the record, I'm saying this thing will sell like a motherfucker, despite all of the "concerns." You know, just like virtually every other handheld revision Nintendo has released over the past 30 years.

Hell, as a single, childless Switch owner, I might even pick one up if sharing saves from system to system isn't a hassle -- I'm weak for good industrial design and games are gonna look fantastic on that high-PPI screen.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Could've been cheaper. On top of the cutbacks its the same processing power as a 2 years old Switch.
Nintendo is in the business to make money (I.e. profits) so it's a pipe dream to expect them cut the price so much. Their stock blew up because of this announcement btw, because the investors felt they made an amazing move especially with pricing...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For all those people like me who thought Nintendo should just commit to one style of console back when the Switch was announced, time just proved us right: it should've been mobile all along.

I'm sticking with my "old" Switch and I'm glad I have the option of switching between mobile or docked mode (pun very intended), but I guess we could've lived without one or the other if the option were never there from the start.

Having said that, I can totally see Nintendo's following console being a portable device that can connect to an HDMI dongle wirelessly. Best of both worlds.
Nah, it really has not. If I couldn't connect the Switch to the TV, it'd have been a hard pass from me. I'm unlikely to be the only consumer like that, perhaps not even a minority.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at photos it seems to still have the light ring around the home button.

I'd seen speculation that they had cancelled whatever use was intended, but kept it in the controllers to save money. With the lite though, that wouldn't make sense.

I really want to know why it's there. Probably for a feature at some point but... it's been two years.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This announcement actually spurred me to get a Switch...off craigslist for $225. It looks like I'll finally join the Switch club, Era.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
£200 feels a little high, I dunno. I'd want it for maybe 2-3 games only, mostly Bayonetta 2 and 3 and I'm not sure I can justify it. £149.99 would have been the sweet spot for me.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Nintendo: We keep releasing upgraded handheld consoles, what if people think we're in a rut? Let's release a downgraded console! No one expects the Spanish Inquisition downgraded consoles!

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I do love my OG switch, and all it's features, I gotta say FUCK that Turquoise model looks sliiiiiiick. Nintendo does some GOAT redesigns.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can I use it as a secondary device to play on my work mh saves from the main console?

I dont trust Nintendo with Cloud Saves so I dont really know

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Iike that the back of the Switch Lite doesnt say 'Switch Lite,' its just the same Switch logo. Very smart I think.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Nintendo calling it the Gameboy S or some shit. Average Joe is at the store and looking to get a new system, and sets his sights on the $200 Gameboy:

Joe: "Oh sweet, Nintendo dropped a new Gameboy! Where are the games at?"
GameStop: "oh they're right here!"
Joe: "but those say Switch. This is a Gameboy"
GameStop: "...well yeah, but it plays Switch games"
Joe: "okay, but where are the Gameboy games for it?"
GameStop: "sir it only plays Switch games"
Joe: "well then why is it called a Gameboy?"

....as a former GameStop and Disc Replay employee, this is exactly the shit you'd run into if Nintendo called the Lite anything other than Switch. But I guess Era marketing degrees are all the rage right now
I thought the smiley at the end would give away that I wasn't serious :P

Thanks for that write up though, made me laugh. :)

However, to stay awhile at the GameStop scenario, considering how much focus Nintendo has had on showing the "switching" in the Switch ads you can bet that GameStop will have to deal with customers coming back asking how they "switch" to connect their Switch Lite to the TV.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
People think the value of the Switch is that the *hardware* can "switch" between the handheld and the TV stuff, and that this is what the name means.

This is incorrect.

The value of the Switch is that it LETS YOU CHOOSE to play your games THE WAY YOU WANT TO. It is the *games* that "switch" from handheld to TV to tabletop; offering hardware that's specifically designed for all three uses is just one way that value can be delivered.

If I have a Switch Lite, I can still switch from using it in handheld to using it with a controller. That's a "switch." But I can also stop playing on my Switch Lite and pick up my game on my flagship Switch. That's also a "switch."

In this way, we see that Switch is about FLEXIBILITY. But how can Switch be MORE flexible? One way is by not making you pay for functionality you don't need. So they have an option for Switch where you don't need all the extras for TV play if you don't want them. They could conceivably also offer a TV only version.

None of this interferes with the core values of the brand. You can still play Switch games however you want, but now you can choose to buy only what you need and not pay for what you don't need.
That means Xbox has the "switch" functionality as well. You can play on Xbox or buy a PC and switch and continue playing on PC instead. :p

Seriously though, it may be incorrect but no doubt it's a strange move to take away what many believe is the core functionality of Switch in their latest Switch. They need to really focus on that difference in the ads.

And I don't know how many games that lack a portable mode but couldn't it potentially become problematic to just make people look for a tiny icon on the backside of the game cases to see if the game can even be played on their new Switch?

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The loss in functionality and features is not worth saving $100 over the original Switch. Definite hard pass for me.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Seriously though, it may be incorrect but no doubt it's a strange move to take away what many believe is the core functionality of Switch in their latest Switch. They need to really focus on that difference in the ads.
They did not take it away. It is still for sale and is the primary model. This is simply another option.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
That means Xbox has the "switch" functionality as well. You can play on Xbox or buy a PC and switch and continue playing on PC instead. :p

Can you just pop your Xbox One game discs in a PC and have them work?

But, otherwise, yeah, it's the same idea.

As for ads, their current one seems pretty good. Shows the two platforms and their proper use cases in the ecosystem.

And I don't know how many games that lack a portable mode but couldn't it potentially become problematic to just make people look for a tiny icon on the backside of the game cases to see if the game can even be played on their new Switch?
The list is like six titles long:

1-2 Switch
Labo kits 1-4
Super Mario Party

And all of those games will work with a pair of Joy-Con (although the Lite won't fit well with some Labo kits) and iirc they show the required controllers on the box.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't actually tried but I think Play Anywhere is for digital purchases only. On the other hand I'm digital only on Switch so for me it would be the same scenario. That is if Nintendo use some kind of cloud syncing for saves and licenses. Do we know anything about that?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Hell, as a single, childless Switch owner, I might even pick one up if sharing saves from system to system isn't a hassle -- I'm weak for good industrial design and games are gonna look fantastic on that high-PPI screen.
Really curious to see how Nintendo handles the account system/eshop once it is increasingly likely that a household will own multiple switch units. I'll probably end up getting one for my son, and I'm sure I'll have to put some thought into how our account(s) are set up.
I'm sorry for not read the whole thread but... we won't be able to have the same account logged in both consoles, right?

Welp... 18 minutes after.
Would be great to have at least 2 switchs with the same account. At least with traditional switch and lite one.
Account sharing is already a thing. I share my account with my daughter's Switch, and we can both play the same game at the same time with separate saves (even multiplayer against each other, as long as it is online multiplayer, not local wireless).

If it's for personal use, it's generally quite seamless (if you have automatic cloud saves enabled), except for a few major games that don't have cloud saves - Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and Pokemon. For these you would need to do a save transfer, so not entirely seamless (but not the end of the world either). But even for those it seems there may be a solution in the making, according to an interview with Bowser.

Last edited:

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

As for ads, their current one seems pretty good. Shows the two platforms and their proper use cases in the ecosystem.

The list is like six titles long:

1-2 Switch
Labo kits 1-4
Super Mario Party

And all of those games will work with a pair of Joy-Con (although the Lite won't fit well with some Labo kits) and iirc they show the required controllers on the box.
They could fix it for super mario party. But i dont like the idea that they zre forcing themself to not bring something Unique. Like special joycons that can do something new or like labo.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
Will Nintendo maybe add the TV feature on a later date?

On the official German page, it says: USB-Port can be used for charging device AND Switch Station:

nintendo-switch-lite-bottom-640x360.jpg

https://game-dna.de/nintendo-switch/koennte-die-switch-lite-doch-einen-tv-modus-bekommen-33040/

Maybe this is just an error. Or maybe there will be an additional dock in the future...

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

On the official German page, it says: USB-Port can be used for charging device AND Switch Station:

https://game-dna.de/nintendo-switch/koennte-die-switch-lite-doch-einen-tv-modus-bekommen-33040/

Maybe this is just an error. Or maybe there will be an additional dock in the future...
Could be, then again maybe it means Nintendo Switch station as in some charging station/stand accessory that Nintendo will come out with. It doesn't say TV connection after all...

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017

Probably wait till they aren't pushing og switch to release switch lite tv support. Prob gonna make the original dock obsolete due to how the switch registers.

Sounds more like they may have just a lite dock series "for switch lite"