• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Streets of Rage

Alt account
Banned
Jun 26, 2019
I hope this thing can run CFW at some point in the future. Would love to have that thing as my emulation machine on the go, instead of wearing the original Switch around. Also the smaller screen suits better for some oldschool retro action.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Could be, then again maybe it means Nintendo Switch station as in some charging station/stand accessory that Nintendo will come out with. It doesn't say TV connection after all...

Nintendo already provides an official Charging Stand, and I am sure the Lite is compatible with that and any similar third party solution, that's why it still has the pins and the small rail in the back.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I don't get the "aimed at kids" marketing part. Nintendo's official advertising doesn't feature kids. It features young adults.

The whole "it's just for kids" thing is nonsense. It's for people who are looking to play Switch games on the go. I've traveled thousands and thousands of miles with my 3DS and it's been a perfect portable. I have had no interest in lugging a Switch around with me on international flights and public transit. The Switch Lite finally hits the right notes for me.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Will Nintendo maybe add the TV feature on a later date?

On the official German page, it says: USB-Port can be used for charging device AND Switch Station:

nintendo-switch-lite-bottom-640x360.jpg

https://game-dna.de/nintendo-switch/koennte-die-switch-lite-doch-einen-tv-modus-bekommen-33040/

Maybe this is just an error. Or maybe there will be an additional dock in the future...
While shitty, I do expect them to officially reveal a TV Mode Patch after the OG Switch 2019 refresh. I have a suspicion its gonna release with a smaller more universal dock that will also support the Lite.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I'd argue that the TV part is probably not supported because the Lite doesn't have the thermal dissipation required to allow for the higher clock speeds

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'd argue that the TV part is probably not supported because the Lite doesn't have the thermal dissipation required to allow for the higher clock speeds
It has the air vents on the back and the fan is still within the console as its grille is still on top. And there is the actual die shrink which would mean that the cooling is more than enough for handheld mode where the fan would only really be needed for dock mode. Which isn't supported for now.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
It has the air vents on the back and the fan is still within the console as its grille is still on top. And there is the actual die shrink which would mean that the cooling is more than enough for handheld mode where the fan would only really be needed for dock mode. Which isn't supported for now.
Though it wouldn't look great, they can allow it to run in undocked performance mode on the TV as well.

or you know, if you wanna be cynical, maybe it's an arbitrary restriction so that people keep buying "the big switch" because Nintendo makes more money on a more expensive device.

Oct 30, 2017
Though it wouldn't look great, they can allow it to run in undocked performance mode on the TV as well.
or you know, if you wanna be cynical, maybe it's an arbitrary restriction so that people keep buying "the big switch" because Nintendo makes more money on a more expensive device.

It's like you've been around the block a few times and understand how business works

Sod the customer gimme mo' money!

I'm a 95% handheld player myself.
I'd have loved the option of moving to the big screen but running in undocked performance mode just to have that TV out option 5% of the time

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Theoretically I would bet more on Nintendo wanting people to not own the Flagship, but eventually own the Lite or something similar and instead have a Switch Home or whatever that the Lite can dock into. Two 250$ devices makes more money than a 300$ flagship do all device.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Account sharing is already a thing. I share my account with my daughter's Switch, and we can both play the same game at the same time with separate saves (even multiplayer against each other, as long as it is online multiplayer, not local wireless).
I don't think that's what they meant? I think they're asking if you can play a game on a Switch that is left at home, and then continue the same game (and same save file) on your Switch Lite. That's not possible yet.
Would be great to have at least 2 switchs with the same account. At least with traditional switch and lite one.
Really curious to see how Nintendo handles the account system/eshop once it is increasingly likely that a household will own multiple switch units. I'll probably end up getting one for my son, and I'm sure I'll have to put some thought into how our account(s) are set up.
As above - you can't have the same account logged into multiple Switches, and have the save files sync up between them. And knowing Nintendo, I really doubt that will ever be a thing. And even if they did ever enable it, certain games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Splatoon wouldn't work with it.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As above - you can't have the same account logged into multiple Switches, and have the save files sync up between them. And knowing Nintendo, I really doubt that will ever be a thing. And even if they did ever enable it, certain games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Splatoon wouldn't work with it.
You can have your account logged into multiple Switches, but only one Switch can be set as the primary. And the secondary ones have limitations such as periodic online checks. As for the saves, there are cloud saves, and for the games that don't support it, there is a save transfer feature that works for every game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$179 would have been a better deal now after I thought about it. They removed the dock station and the Switch controller featuress and the screen is smaller.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You can have your account logged into multiple Switches, but only one Switch can be set as the primary. And the secondary ones have limitations such as periodic online checks. As for the saves, there are cloud saves, and for the games that don't support it, there is a save transfer feature that works for every game.
Yes you can be logged into two systems, but I did specify that you can't have the save files sync between them. And that's what keeps it from being useful. The people I quoted clearly have the idea in mind of having one Switch permanently at home, and taking a Lite on the go. But it's far too inconvenient to have to manually download save files on your second device before leaving for the day. And it's not practical at all to use the save file transfer every time.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's what they meant? I think they're asking if you can play a game on a Switch that is left at home, and then continue the same game (and same save file) on your Switch Lite. That's not possible yet.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Stop spreading disinformation. While they presently don't "sync", the cloud saves are saved automatically, and you don't need to "manually download save files before leaving for the day"...

As to Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Splatoon, from the cnet interview: "but how games would transfer over is ambiguous; a situation Nintendo is working on clearing up. Speaking to CNET, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser says plans are in motion for multi-device solutions. "Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences," Bowser told CNET. "More to come on there, but that is the intention."

Note that this is in addition to the current solutions.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Stop spreading disinformation. While they presently don't "sync", the cloud saves are saved automatically, and you don't need to "manually download save files before leaving for the day"...
You would if you were wanting to continue the game on a different Switch, right? I could be wrong (and apologise if I am), but...even NintendoLife don't seem to think it's possible yet:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
You would if you were wanting to continue the game on a different Switch, right? I could be wrong (and apologise if I am), but...even NintendoLife don't seem to think it's possible yet:

Maybe I misunderstood you - the save files do not download automatically yet, that is correct, but you don't need to download them "before leaving for the day", you can download a save file whenever you want with no need to be near your other Switch. That's what I meant, and in my book that is quite seamless, especially since such a file takes seconds to download.

What Nintendo Life may be referring to is what was said in the Cnet article:
"but how games would transfer over is ambiguous; a situation Nintendo is working on clearing up. Speaking to CNET, Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser says plans are in motion for multi-device solutions. "Yes, you will have the ability to transfer between devices, your gameplay experiences," Bowser told CNET. "More to come on there, but that is the intention."
Since the Cnet article acknowledged the current solutions available (account on primary+secondary consoles + cloud saves), in my book this clearly means automatic save syncing plus a solution for the few (albeit prominent) games that don't have cloud saves.

Also, I must say I found it very disingenuous that you quoted my first paragraph (which was about sharing an account with my daughter), saying I didn't address what they asked, when my second paragraph was addressing what they asked...
"If it's for personal use, it's generally quite seamless (if you have automatic cloud saves enabled), except for a few major games that don't have cloud saves - Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and Pokemon. For these you would need to do a save transfer, so not entirely seamless (but not the end of the world either). But even for those it seems there may be a solution in the making, according to an interview with Bowser. "

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
but you don't need to download them "before leaving for the day", you can download a save file whenever you want with no need to be near your other Switch.
Ah. I forget that my experience probably isn't true for most people on this site. Here in Australia, there isn't free wifi on my daily commute. And even connecting the Switch to my phone to download the save file when I'm on the train or something would be awkward as hell, and probably take a good few minutes given how poor my reception is until I get closer to the city. So for me, it would be far easier to just download the new save files on my Lite each morning, and then again on my main unit when I get home at night...but that sounds super inconvenient to me. Ideally Nintendo would implement a better solution where the Switches automatically sync whenever they're on the same network.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NSwitchSpecsFront_en.jpg
So the notification light on the home button of the switch lite will work

I'm thinking this confirms a major update coming before the switch lite releases or the day it releases

Last edited:

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
It wont display in 1080p at all due to the low energy revised chip set being used, this helped keep the cost down and improve battery life, just buy the flagship Switch if you need that ability and pay for it

I already have 2 in my household. I can state features that would have made the Lite Switch more of an ON than an OFF for me if I like. I'm not saying the thing will be a flop or is terrible, so put the amiibo back in the pram.

Jan 10, 2018
Do we know if they updated the tech behind the analog sticks?

As said in the video, the controls are hardwired now
I already have 2 in my household. I can state features that would have made the Lite Switch more of an ON than an OFF for me if I like. I'm not saying the thing will be a flop or is terrible, so put the amiibo back in the pram.

As a owner of a sole Disney Infinity Nemo figure... chill with your persecution complex

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Not gonna lie yeah, despite not wanting a Lite, if they made a SNES Legacy edition in gray with colored face buttons and a giant SNES Logo on the back I would be so in.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie yeah, despite not wanting a Lite, if they made a SNES Legacy edition in gray with colored face buttons and a giant SNES Logo on the back I would be so in.
It would also please me, especially because that would also mean Nintendo was finally putting SNES games on the Switch... right? R-right?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Imma sell my OG and get this.

Better build, more portable, cheaper, fun colors, real d-pad, longer battery, probs slightly faster, etc.

Now to decide between the turquoise and the yellow...

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So this doesn't dock?

I guess I'm sticking with regular switch because of this single issue.

Dpad is what this has going for it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
...I didn't realize that the likes of the DS and the PSP had games continuously on discount
DS games were 45 € max. That's handheld pricing.

Switch games cost up to 70.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever make dedicated handheld games again (i.e. smaller scope, smaller pricing). Even Link's Awakening, which is a classic handheld Zelda game, will cost the same as their classic home console titles. If Link's Awakening isn't a handheld game, then what is?

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I haven't actually tried but I think Play Anywhere is for digital purchases only. On the other hand I'm digital only on Switch so for me it would be the same scenario. That is if Nintendo use some kind of cloud syncing for saves and licenses. Do we know anything about that?
Yeah, they do; you can log in on any Switch and download your purchases and saves.