• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Reading is too.much work
Hot takes gets more attention
Same poster also asked about the dimensions and screen resolution. /Shrug

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
We should definitely keep responding to the gyro thing because once wasn't enough...

Oct 26, 2017
DS games were 45 € max. That's handheld pricing.

Switch games cost up to 70.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever make dedicated handheld games again (i.e. smaller scope, smaller pricing). Even Link's Awakening, which is a classic handheld Zelda game, will cost the same as their classic home console titles. If Link's Awakening isn't a handheld game, then what is?
I was just pulling your leg there :P I know their handheld games were cheaper

Nintendo is essentially releasing the same sort of software for the Switch as they normally would for their home console and, thus, its games are priced like any other console. If it was just a handheld to go along with a console, it wouldn't be getting a lot these sort of games, at least not with the scope and budget they're receiving, and their games would be lower priced

I was hoping they'd price some of their lower budget releases at like a budget price but they haven't done like that, like they did with the Wii U. I'm guessing, since the Switch is actually successful and their games are selling well, they have no incentive to offer budget pricing, even for when they bring over their handheld-only series, like a potential Mario and Luigi game

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm... Gyros

Pork-Gyros-with-Homemade-Tzatziki-square-FS.jpg

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the notification light on the home button of the switch lite will work

I'm thinking this confirms a major update coming before the switch lite releases or the day it releases
Wouldn't call that confirming anything.

Nintendo has had that "Home button lights up when notifications are received" text in FAQs for the original joycons since before the console launched despite never actually making use of the feature to date.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is you need a Nintendo Online subscription to use cloud saves. Don't need it to access your digital library
Correct.

The save transfer feature though, that can be done between two Switches that is on the same local network on a game by game basis, does not require NSO. You can also transfer saves that don't support Cloud (like Splatoon 2) this way between consoles.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I was just pulling your leg there :P I know their handheld games were cheaper

Nintendo is essentially releasing the same sort of software for the Switch as they normally would for their home console and, thus, its games are priced like any other console. If it was just a handheld to go along with a console, it wouldn't be getting a lot these sort of games, at least not with the scope and budget they're receiving, and their games would be lower priced

I was hoping they'd price some of their lower budget releases at like a budget price but they haven't done like that, like they did with the Wii U. I'm guessing, since the Switch is actually successful and their games are selling well, they have no incentive to offer budget pricing, even for when they bring over their handheld-only series, like a potential Mario and Luigi game
I see :D

Yeah, I mean, the closest thing we have as a "handheld" game is Captain Toad, which costs like 10 or 20 bucks less than other first party Switch releases. Or The World Ends With You, which is 50 instead of 60 (still more expensive than the 11 years old handheld original - freaking ridiculous).

I feel if Link's Awakening Remake was released on 3DS (which it technically could), it would be 45 bucks. But it's for Switch, so it must be 60. Doesn't make sense.

Link's Awakening costs about the same as BotW. But the difference is, Link's Awakening is on the one end of the Zelda scale, the classic, smaller scaled handheld Zelda formula, while BotW is on the complete opposite of the spectrum - your massive full fledged 3D home console Zelda with 4 years of development.

If that doesn't justify a differentiation in price, then nothing does.

I think realistically, Nintendo will keep releasing their standard 60-70 €/$ games, and in between, on rare occasions, a title that is only 50.

But if the Switch is, as we all know, both handheld and home console - Why do games almost exclusively have home console prices?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But if the Switch is, as we all know, both handheld and home console - Why do games almost exclusively have home console prices?
Because their mainline games get a console game level focus and budget in development, I'd think. Why Nintendo doesn't release smaller scale games befitting a handheld (in scope and budget) might be a better question but they might just have no reason to put out lower budget titles out on their extremely successful console which is beefy enough to play stronger games

Jan 10, 2018
I see :D

Yeah, I mean, the closest thing we have as a "handheld" game is Captain Toad, which costs like 10 or 20 bucks less than other first party Switch releases. Or The World Ends With You, which is 50 instead of 60 (still more expensive than the 11 years old handheld original - freaking ridiculous).

I feel if Link's Awakening Remake was released on 3DS (which it technically could), it would be 45 bucks. But it's for Switch, so it must be 60. Doesn't make sense.

Link's Awakening costs about the same as BotW. But the difference is, Link's Awakening is on the one end of the Zelda scale, the classic, smaller scaled handheld Zelda formula, while BotW is on the complete opposite of the spectrum - your massive full fledged 3D home console Zelda with 4 years of development.

If that doesn't justify a differentiation in prize, then nothing does.

I think realistically, Nintendo will keep releasing their standard 60-70 €/$ games, and in between, on rare occasions, a title that is only 50.

Because almost exclusively home console game releases. As you said.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is you need a Nintendo Online subscription to use cloud saves. Don't need it to access your digital library
Sigh. And that makes the Lite unusable for me. I'm so tired of juggling multiple save files, always having to make the choice early on how I want to play through the whole game or otherwise being forced to start over. This goes for all platforms, including steam, it's just a tiny data file anyway, I don't get what's the problem. Xbox allows cloud saves for free on Play Anywhere titles but otherwise it's a no go there as well. Cloud saves should be a free basic feature, cloud licenses as well, it's all backwards that we have to double dip on game purchases and start over from scratch every time just because the digital stores can't figure out a way to share those tiny data files.

Nov 21, 2017
USA
Account sharing is already a thing. I share my account with my daughter's Switch, and we can both play the same game at the same time with separate saves (even multiplayer against each other, as long as it is online multiplayer, not local wireless).

If it's for personal use, it's generally quite seamless (if you have automatic cloud saves enabled), except for a few major games that don't have cloud saves - Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and Pokemon. For these you would need to do a save transfer, so not entirely seamless (but not the end of the world either). But even for those it seems there may be a solution in the making, according to an interview with Bowser.
So I'm all digital (except my one BotW cart). Do we think it will be possible for me to do a one time transfer to the Lite without losing anything and then sell my OG Switch or gift it to someone?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm all digital (except my one BotW cart). Do we think it will be possible for me to do a one time transfer to the Lite without losing anything and then sell my OG Switch or gift it to someone?

if you have a sub you can just do a cloud backup and authenticate on your new switch as the primary console, and download your games and saves.
Otherwise you will need both and do a save transfer

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
For all those people like me who thought Nintendo should just commit to one style of console back when the Switch was announced, time just proved us right: it should've been mobile all along.

This doesn't prove that at all.

This is just a complimentary SKU that provides another option. The Switch would probably still be successful without it.

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about getting a Lite as a secondary console for my commute and travel. How ridiculous is it that I'd be annoyed at my activity log not being accurate because I'd be swapping between two consoles on occasion? lol

Really love the colors tho.

I saw this on reddit earlier:

I'd be all in on this version :D

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. And that makes the Lite unusable for me. I'm so tired of juggling multiple save files, always having to make the choice early on how I want to play through the whole game or otherwise being forced to start over. This goes for all platforms, including steam, it's just a tiny data file anyway, I don't get what's the problem. Xbox allows cloud saves for free on Play Anywhere titles but otherwise it's a no go there as well. Cloud saves should be a free basic feature, cloud licenses as well, it's all backwards that we have to double dip on game purchases and start over from scratch every time just because the digital stores can't figure out a way to share those tiny data files.

I understand the frustration but Nintendo online is also only $20 for the entire year and w/ the NES and soon to be SNES games available, is a pretty great value.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The thread title even says it has gyro...

Thread title should probably be updated to 'No rumble' - that 'No HD Rumble' stuff that Nintendo has been putting is misleading because it makes you think it has a basic rumble - and you do have to do some research to figure out it doesn't.

Gyro would have been a big deal for Splatoon and a few other games. I think people are just confusing the IR stuff and gyro.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Not that I'm excusing them charging for cloud saves but Nintendo Switch Online is a very good value program if you have interest in buying Nintendo games digitally. With an NSO subscription you can buy 2 game vouchers for $99 that are usable on $59 games, saving you a total of $20 which is what NSO costs for an entire year's subscription. If you buy 4 or more vouchers the NSO subscription has not only cost you nothing, but has saved you at least $20.

You can buy these vouchers until the voucher program ends, which is the end of July for now, but use them up to a year after buying them. Hopefully they extend it or make it permanent.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I'm excusing them charging for cloud saves but Nintendo Switch Online is a very good value program if you have interest in buying Nintendo games digitally. With an NSO subscription you can buy 2 game vouchers for $99 that are usable on $59 games, saving you a total of $20 which is what NSO costs for an entire year's subscription. If you buy 4 or more vouchers the NSO subscription has not only cost you nothing, but has saved you at least $20.

You can buy these vouchers until the voucher program ends, which is the end of July for now, but use them up to a year after buying them. Hopefully they extend it or make it permanent.
Yeah it's alright I guess, but as a principle I feel like I should vote against it just as with Live and PS+. It's really crappy that they're putting something like that behind a paywall, especially now that many might have several consoles.

(I did jump in on Game Pass Ultimate though by using the prepaid Live conversion thingy, but only to get PC Game Pass not Live.)

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on this Amazon preorder to go live. I am trying to order it before my prime runs out :/

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's alright I guess, but as a principle I feel like I should vote against it just as with Live and PS+. It's really crappy that they're putting something like that behind a paywall, especially now that many might have several consoles.

(I did jump in on Game Pass Ultimate though by using the prepaid Live conversion thingy, but only to get PC Game Pass not Live.)

Fair enough, I respect that. Feature wise it's really terrible and inexcusable but the value is at least quite good.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
DS games were 45 € max. That's handheld pricing.

Switch games cost up to 70.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever make dedicated handheld games again (i.e. smaller scope, smaller pricing). Even Link's Awakening, which is a classic handheld Zelda game, will cost the same as their classic home console titles. If Link's Awakening isn't a handheld game, then what is?
They don't need to do that themselves. Third parties/indies are doing that for them on the eShop.
Though they published Box Boy and Cadence of Huryle this year.

Feb 10, 2018
Was going to get one but I don't I can wait 10yrs

On amazon.Co.Uk

Product Details
  • Release date: 31 Dec 2030
  • Item Weight: 998 g
  • Shipping Weight: 1.36 kg
  • ASIN: B07SMRJVY7
  • Manufacturer reference: Nintendo201940
  • Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 47

-----------

I hope its not an rrp if £199

I suppose $199 = 158 + 20% vat tax = 189

But the 1x was £449,
$499 = £400 + 20%vat is about £500, so ms + Sony are able to get uk price down. And even the OG switch got the UK price down about £10 comoart to the $ conversion + vat.

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Really, i dont get it. Sure its a more portable console, but the Switch main attraction is the ability to switch your system from tv to handheld, and now that thing is gone. I hope they release some sort of adaptor to hook it to the tv , cause its one key feature its missing. I am 80% handheld, 20% docked with mine, and not considering one second to trade mine cause when i would want to play on tv, well, i wont be able.

And hoping these joycon drifting issue have been fixed with this new release, or i see lots of return , repairs incoming!

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tempting price, Xenoblade 2 won't run any better than portable mode allows so i am still mostly in the market for a dockable normal switch at a lower price point.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Really, i dont get it. Sure its a more portable console, but the Switch main attraction is the ability to switch your system from tv to handheld, and now that thing is gone. I hope they release some sort of adaptor to hook it to the tv , cause its one key feature its missing. I am 80% handheld, 20% docked with mine, and not considering one second to trade mine cause when i would want to play on tv, well, i wont be able.

And hoping these joycon drifting issue have been fixed with this new release, or i see lots of return , repairs incoming!

I'm guessing the Lite wasn't designed to support the docked profile, and maybe doesn't have sufficient internal cooling to do it safely. It's a bummer, but the Lite is legitimately a very slick and well-priced option for what it is.

I just wish they took some of the Lite's design ideas and made a revised Switch model to replace the launch version. This is usually common practice with game consoles, and I don't understand how Nintendo is making their hardware decisions. Even the Vita got a significant hardware revision, and the launch model was already amazing.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Really, i dont get it. Sure its a more portable console, but the Switch main attraction is the ability to switch your system from tv to handheld, and now that thing is gone.

I would argue that the "main attraction" of the Switch is its library of first-party Nintendo games, and this would let me play them for less money.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Really, i dont get it. Sure its a more portable console, but the Switch main attraction is the ability to switch your system from tv to handheld, and now that thing is gone.

Except it's not. The original Switch is still available for purchase. This device isn't meant to replace it, just to address another market.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Sure its a more portable console, but the Switch main attraction is the ability to switch your system from tv to handheld
How people think about the "main attraction" of a system differs tremendously between people.

For you, the main attraction of the Switch might be the ability to swap between TV and handheld.

For others, the main attraction could be the fact that it's a Nintendo handheld, or that it's got Zelda on it, or that it plays Fortnite, or any number of other reasons. Some of these people will feel like the ability to swap to playing on a TV is irrelevant.

Once you start thinking about docking as an optional feature which is desirable to many (hence the base model including it as a default) but not everyone, then the Switch Lite should make sense.