• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, where can I pre-order the Pokemon Sw&Sh sp edition Switch lite in the UK? Is Amazon Japan the way to go?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Ignore me, I take it outside of Japan the Pokemon Lite hasn't had a price reveal.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So seemlessly switching between the normal Switch and the Switch Lite to play my digital games isn't possible without constantly setting a new "primary" console?

That seems like a complete dealbreaker for getting the Lite as an addition to the base Switch.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
So seemlessly switching between the normal Switch and the Switch Lite to play my digital games isn't possible without constantly setting a new "primary" console?

That seems like a complete dealbreaker for getting the Lite as an addition to the base Switch.
You can play games on either. The secondary console just always checks online first before launching a game, so you have to be connected all the time to launch a game and play without time limits. If you want to take the secondary console somewhere where it can't check online, you get a 3 hour window after you launch the game.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I simply failed to find it in this thread and online, then -

It seems that Lite still has the stabilising rail in the lower back of the device, used in the regular Switch for properly fitting in the Dock. Shouldn't this mean they actually have a "Lite Dock" planned? (Preliminary technical speculation also seems to point towards this, if the guesses on SoC type are correct, of course.)

b6nD0UL.jpg

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I simply failed to find it in this thread and online, then -

It seems that Lite still has the stabilising rail in the lower back of the device, used in the regular Switch for properly fitting in the Dock. Shouldn't this mean they actually have a "Lite Dock" planned? (Preliminary technical speculation also seems to point towards this, if the guesses on SoC type are correct, of course.)

b6nD0UL.jpg
I suspect it's for accessory makers to make a unified line of products

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

b6nD0UL.jpg
It's necessary to keep compatibility with the official charging stand accessory, for example.

11868556-1464610002540743.jpg

Other similar accessories that use the same "notch" may also exist or come.

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Even if it says that tabletop mode is not supported, can I play local multiplayer like Smash or Mario Kart with two Joy-Cons?

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
People compare it to the 2DS, but a more accurate comparison would be the DS losing its second screen to cut cost. Yeah, many DS games can be played without the second screen, but some games outright become unplayable. While the 3DS losing its 3D didn't effect actual gameplay or what games could even be played.

This is the most bizarre comparison I have heard yet. Most DS games were built with two screens in mind so it absolutely would do way more damage than you imply.
How is the Switch Lite anywhere near that either? There's no special gameplay features lost by playing exclusively in handheld mode. You can even connect joycons to the Lite. The only software completely incompatible would be Labo because it was built for the base Switch and joycons separate.

Saying the handheld market was always going to pick up the Switch doesn't take into account the Switch hasn't pickup the 3DS market and most saying the Lite surely will has yet to be proven. Maybe it will, but it's too soon to treat it as a forgone conclusion because 'Nintendo rule handhelds'.

What are you implying here by saying "Switch hasn't pickup the 3DS market"?
Are you talking about customers or games?
If it's the former a lot of 3DS owners picked up the Switch and many of those owners were the ones asking for the Lite so... do math.
If it's the latter... it's already doing that. Fire Embem? Pokemon? Animal Crossing?
Yeah they're being marketed as "console" games but that doesn't mean anything. Really the division between handheld and console has become blurrier and blurrier as tech improve.
The games are more expensive but that's because for some reason handheld games were undervalued despite offering the same quality of experience as console games.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People compare it to the 2DS, but a more accurate comparison would be the DS losing its second screen to cut cost. Yeah, many DS games can be played without the second screen, but some games outright become unplayable. While the 3DS losing its 3D didn't effect actual gameplay or what games could even be played.
This makes no sense. Virtually every DS game ever releases would lose major features without the second screen. There is like out of thousands 3 games that lose features in handheld mode for Switch. And even then they all gain the full functionally with a synced jogcoj outside of Labo.

So one game vs the entire DS library. This comparison doesn't really work.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This makes no sense. Virtually every DS game ever releases would lose major features without the second screen. There is like out of thousands 3 games that lose features in handheld mode for Switch. And even then they all gain the full functionally with a synced jogcoj outside of Labo.

So one game vs the entire DS library. This comparison doesn't really work.

It really does since a lot of the DS games second screen was mostly for the map. Only a few games really needed the two screens to work. Most of the gameplay was really in the touch screen.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It really does since a lot of the DS games second screen was mostly for the map. Only a few games really needed the two screens to work. Most of the gameplay was really in the touch screen.

You are completely off base here. That's crazy.

You're better off saying it's like removing the GBA slot on the DS since it meant no guitar hero. Or the GameCube controller ports on the Wii since it prevented 8 player. Very few games used those features. (Ignoring the BC obviously)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You are completely off base here. That's crazy.

You're better off saying it's like removing the GBA slot on the DS since it meant no guitar hero. Or the GameCube controller ports on the Wii since it prevented 8 player. Very few games used those features. (Ignoring the BC obviously)

Again, the DS actually has a lot of games that you really don't need the second screen for since it was usually just used for a map. Far more what you're implying in your post.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, the DS actually has a lot of games that you really don't need the second screen for since it was usually just used for a map. Far more what you're implying in your post.
Except those did require it, as it used the map and would have no way otherwise to see the map in most cases. Almost no DS games could function if you removed one of the screens. There are virtually no Switch games that wont function if you remove the dock. Labo is really the only single one.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Except those did require it, as it used the map and would have no way otherwise to see the map in most cases. Almost no DS games could function if you removed one of the screens. There are virtually no Switch games that wont function if you remove the dock. Labo is really the only single one.

Here's the thing, a lot of those games could have had their map resigned to the menu or to a button, think Splatoon 2. Which is why I said, you could get away without the second screen on the DS in a lot of games.

Also, you have stuff like some of the Moons in Mario that you find using the rumble. Heck, Breath of the Wild had some rumble puzzles, which the Lite outright doesn't have.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, a lot of those games could have had their map resigned to the menu or to a button, think Splatoon 2. Which is why I said, you could get away without the second screen on the DS in a lot of games.

Also, you have stuff like some of the Moons in Mario that you find using the rumble. Heck, Breath of the Wild had some rumble puzzles, which the Lite outright doesn't have.
Your comparison would require those DS games to all be reprogrammed though.

Also it does have rumble. Just not HD rumble. The rumble functionality still works in those games like when you use a Switch controller that only has regular rumble.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Your comparison would require those DS games to all be reprogrammed though.

Also it does have rumble. Just not HD rumble. The rumble functionality still works in those games like when you use a Switch controller that only has regular rumble.

Not as much as you might think

The Switch Lite according to reports have no rumble at all.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

"HD Rumble" means rumble for Nintendo Switch. It's not just about the precision — the mechanism is designed the way it is in the first place to fit in the narrow constraints of the JoyCon, a constraint the Lite shares. The Lite won't have rumble.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank u for replying.
Bless u
No prob.

But you will have to remove your original Switch as the primary console and make the Lite the primary for your account if you want to play on the Lite without online checks. You can still have your account on multiple consoles and download your games on all of them, but in the secondary Switch consoles you'll have those routine online checks.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the color choices suck to be honest. Really hoping more colors are revealed in the future. Grey, yellow, and turquoise look ugly to me. The pokemon one looks better but the design on the back absolutely kills it. If I had to choose one I guess I'd go with grey as it is the least loud.

RockyRZ

Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I'm struggling, I want this but the newer one with better battery is what I really need. More battery.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
It's up for preorder in a few stores in Greece for 240€. OG Switch launched at 330€.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
No prob.

But you will have to remove your original Switch as the primary console and make the Lite the primary for your account if you want to play on the Lite without online checks. You can still have your account on multiple consoles and download your games on all of them, but in the secondary Switch consoles you'll have those routine online checks.
Just to be clear, those online checks are performed every time you attempt to launch a game if this isn't the primary console of your account, so if you are on the go you will need wifi (I set up a hotspot on my phone).