• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be tempted to get one as a second Switch and keep the current one docked, but I don't trust Nintendo's online infrastructure to handle my saves and switch between them smoothly at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be tempted to get one as a second Switch and keep the current one docked, but I don't trust Nintendo's online infrastructure to handle my saves and switch between them smoothly at all.

I believe you can do this without interfacing with their online infrastructure at all. It would be nicer if it was more automated than this but this is the non cloud option (helpful for games that don't support cloud save or if you don't have NSO?) :

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I dont get the premise of the first one. Why are they going around the block 70 times?

Sigh.... It's parent humor. If you have a kid that won't sleep at night, and somehow will only do so in a car, you, as a parent, become insane enough to justify driving around the block until your progenitor falls asleep.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Sigh.... It's parent humor. If you have a kid that won't sleep at night, and somehow will only do so in a car, you, as a parent, become insane enough to justify driving around the block until your progenitor falls asleep.
Been there, still doing that. Good excuse to go get a Cheesy gordita crunch.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Can't shake the feeling that I should pick this up and sell my OG Switch. I mostly play docked at the moment as I find the handheld a bit too unwieldy and uncomfortable after a while. I'm also thinking I should keep my TV usage for Xbox games and make the most of the TV time playing games I can only play on TV.

Did you play handhelds prior to Switch? I get the feeling that new hardware won't necessarily make you play handheld more if you're currently playing mostly docked.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hahaha, I live in a city where parking is sacred so I managed to avoid the whole driving my kid to sleep thing.

Works a lot easier when you live in the country. Not that I have any kids myself but jumping into the car to do something random isn't anything of note. Also know parents who live around me who have definitely done it.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 7 years old?

I currently own a Switch that the rest of the family plays on as well. I have a profile, my son has a profile and my wife has a profile (but she doesn't really play much). I'm fairly certain my son has his own Nintendo account (he's got a 3ds that he's purchased digital games on). My son is about to buy a Switch Lite. I'm assuming we can transfer his profile over to the Lite and keep all his game saves?

How do we need to set up the Switches so we can share games?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
In the times where next gens are probably going to be 500, this product is quite compelling no matter the graphical capability in comparison. I really like my vita and the gray here looks fab to me. Ill wait till the holidays too much work atm.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 7 years old?

I currently own a Switch that the rest of the family plays on as well. I have a profile, my son has a profile and my wife has a profile (but she doesn't really play much). I'm fairly certain my son has his own Nintendo account (he's got a 3ds that he's purchased digital games on). My son is about to buy a Switch Lite. I'm assuming we can transfer his profile over to the Lite and keep all his game saves?

How do we need to set up the Switches so we can share games?

We really should have the explanation stickied (in multiple threads) if it's not already.

One switch is your primary switch. That one, any profile can play any digital game from your account.
The other switch is your secondary switch. Only the profile that bought the game can play it (so your son would have to use your profile). It also needs periodic check ins via the internet.

Yes the profile can be transferred over, along with the saves.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
We really should have the explanation stickied (in multiple threads) if it's not already.

One switch is your primary switch. That one, any profile can play any digital game from your account.
The other switch is your secondary switch. Only the profile that bought the game can play it (so your son would have to use your profile). It also needs periodic check ins via the internet.

I think I get it. So let's say That my wife and I each have profiles on our OG Switch. Then we buy a new Lite and I purchase all the games on my profile then my wife would have to use my profile to play any new games bought on the Lite.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think I get it. So let's say That my wife and I each have profiles on our OG Switch. Then we buy a new Lite and I purchase all the games on my profile then my wife would have to use my profile to play any new games bought on the Lite.

Yup. Plus the Lite would have to connect to the internet for anyone to play digital games (which seems like a hassle, but it's a quick connect, people recommend using a phone hotspot if you're out and about). You can also change primary consoles, though I have no idea how hard that is to do if you want to switch back and forth.

The big issue is the saves. The saves would all be on your profile, so it's not like your son can continue the game where he left off even if he transfers saves over, because it's your profile. I also have no idea what happens if you have nintendo online and cloud syncing (hopefully the games you play have multiple save slots)

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Plus the Lite would have to connect to the internet for anyone to play digital games (which seems like a hassle, but it's a quick connect, people recommend using a phone hotspot if you're out and about). You can also change primary consoles, though I have no idea how hard that is to do if you want to switch back and forth.

The big issue is the saves. The saves would all be on your profile, so it's not like your son can continue the game where he left off even if he transfers saves over, because it's your profile. I also have no idea what happens if you have nintendo online and cloud syncing (hopefully the games you play have multiple save slots)

This seems like a missed opportunity...it would be pretty awesome to cross play cross save but I don't think Nintendo has the networking know how to pull it off.

I guess it solidifies the argument that if you want that functionality buy an OG Switch this console is not for you.

Do we know if you can at least use the Switch Lite as a controller for the OG Switch?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This seems like a missed opportunity...it would be pretty awesome to cross play cross save but I don't think Nintendo has the networking know how to pull it off.

I guess it solidifies the argument that if you want that functionality buy an OG Switch this console is not for you.

Do we know if you can at least use the Switch Lite as a controller for the OG Switch?

The controller thing: I think this is the second time it's been brought up, but I don't see why people would expect that functionality. Seems like a lot of work to pull it off, and something they would advertise if it was possible.

An OG switch doesn't really do much for primary/secondary console stuff, that's the same either way. The main drawback is because it's not dockable, deciding which one to be the primary is a little tougher (does your kid want to play with his profile on the tv? Then the OG should be the primary etc.).

I don't think it's about networking, it's their way of trying to make sure gamesharing isn't a widespread thing. I think. I dunno, I thought Bowser said they were working on making transferring stuff much easier.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I'd recommend these, then. Their customer service is great too. I screwed up applying both protectors my first time trying to apply them and they sent a replacement for free.

I second this, had an amFilm on my regular Switch since launch and it's not even slightly scratched or anything.

It's also barely visible and has no negative impact on touch sensitivity.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

"The big issue is the saves. The saves would all be on your profile" - not a problem if the account you buy the games through, at least moving forward, is not the account you play with.
Buy the games on account G (for "Games") on your Switch. If account G is primary on your Switch, any account on your Switch can play the games from that account, so play those games using a different account/profile, account Y (for "You"..). Your saves will be attached to account Y. Your wife can also play the games on the Switch where account G is primary, using her account, account W, and her saves will be attached to account W. Account G will be secondary on the Switch Lite, your son will play those games using account G, and the saves will be attached to account G.
There you are, everyone has their own saves.

Using NSO cloud saves you can basically already cross play and cross save with the Switch (doesn't matter if OG or Lite). The down side is that for that, you would need your saves to be attached to the same account on both Switches, which would preclude sharing the same game at the same time with someone else. So it's either (sort of) crossplay crossave or game sharing.

Last edited:

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017

All of the digital games purchased on the Switch so far have been under my account.

Well, that kinda sucks. So if we set up the Lite as the secondary one, with his profile that's tied to his account, he won't be able to play our digital games unless he's on my profile? Which he wouldn't, because my profile will be on the original Switch?

If we set up the Lite as the primary, he can play any digital game and I can play the ones on my account. Which all the games purchased so far are on my account. To purchase new games, I'd purchase them on the primary or secondary switch?

I've read many articles on this, but for some reason I'm confusing myself.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
All of the digital games purchased on the Switch so far have been under my account.

Well, that kinda sucks. So if we set up the Lite as the secondary one, with his profile that's tied to his account, he won't be able to play our digital games unless he's on my profile? Which he wouldn't, because my profile will be on the original Switch?

If we set up the Lite as the primary, he can play any digital game and I can play the ones on my account. Which all the games purchased so far are on my account. To purchase new games, I'd purchase them on the primary or secondary switch?

I've read many articles on this, but for some reason I'm confusing myself.

You can have your profile on both the primary and secondary switch, so he can play on the second switch but must be on your profile.

I don't know for sure but since it's your profile, I'm pretty sure you can buy from either one (and online via the web).

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
You can have your profile on both the primary and secondary switch, so he can play on the second switch but must be on your profile.

I don't know for sure but since it's your profile, I'm pretty sure you can buy from either one (and online via the web).

Awesome, thanks.

Sounds like it will be best to make the Lite the primary, then. We'll move over his profile and saves, and I'll sign into my profile as well. That way I can download all our games, and he'll be able to continue with his saves. And he can take it out of the house and play wherever.

The original Switch will be the secondary with my profile and saves. We'll continue to use my Nintendo account to purchase games, so I'll be able to play them as long as I can check in online.

. . . right? Thanks so much for the help.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Think we'll see a more in depth tear down of the Lite soon? Also, I'd like to see more reports of what the d-pad feels like and if the joysticks are holding up in regards to drift. As a soon to be first time Switch buyer, it has me a little cautious.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Think we'll see a more in depth tear down of the Lite soon? Also, I'd like to see more reports of what the d-pad feels like and if the joysticks are holding up in regards to drift. As a soon to be first time Switch buyer, it has me a little cautious.
You're not going to know about drift for a long time. I would imagine some people will start getting their hands on these starting this coming weekend.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
probably not until near launch day. however i think there was one guy on twitter who got hold of a switch lite already from a walmart in georgia. so maybe more people might get it early and give their thoughts?

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
You're not going to know about drift for a long time. I would imagine some people will start getting their hands on these starting this coming weekend.
yeah, it would need a lot of use in order to even get joycon drift if it can happen. Saying that i have not encountered any joycon drift since having my switch since launch.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan is the birthplace of drifting.

tenor.gif

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
So I plan to have my normal Nintendo Switch be my "secondary" console (as it will stay at home and always have an internet connection) and my Switch Lite be my "primary console" (as it will be on the go with me and not always have internet).

But what's the best way of getting it set up? Do I *need* to do a system transfer from Switch to Switch Lite to make it primary? Or can I just add my account to the Switch Lite and there's a setting to set it to primary? I'd like to avoid the system transfer if possible, but am guessing it will be necessary to have the Switch Lite be primary.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
So I plan to have my normal Nintendo Switch be my "secondary" console (as it will stay at home and always have an internet connection) and my Switch Lite be my "primary console" (as it will be on the go with me and not always have internet).

But what's the best way of getting it set up? Do I *need* to do a system transfer from Switch to Switch Lite to make it primary? Or can I just add my account to the Switch Lite and there's a setting to set it to primary? I'd like to avoid the system transfer if possible, but am guessing it will be necessary to have the Switch Lite be primary.

No system transfer

On the lite, sign in using your credentials

Then follow any one of these methods to change primary console

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how playtime is calculated between two Switch consoles?
Say I have my account logged in on my primary, old launch Switch and a secondary new Switch lite at the same time.
Will the playtime on my account page be calculated and added on both of them or will the playtime be separate on each console?

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I love SRPGs, 2D platformers, and fighting games.

I'll have to check rabbids out
Check out Katana Zero and Gris, cool games! and only on Switch right now.
Tropical Freeze is essential if you didn't play it before.

Fell Seal is an indie SRPG that I heard praise for, but Into the Breach is the one that was very popular.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

So how many people around here are considering going this route? We are only a week out and I am still on the fence.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm really struggling to decide between Lite and the refresh regular one.

The big thing nagging me is the lack of rumble on lite. AFAIK for example Odyssey has some content that requires rumble to figure out puzzles so that's annoying in retrospect, hopefully they tona that down in the future with Lite being a thing.

Does Zelda or other older titles have more rumble focused stuff? Not counting shit like 1/2 Switch of course.