• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 790 20.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 886 22.4%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 1,417 35.9%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 857 21.7%

• Total voters

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It is really silly watching people talking about 'lotteries'. The first batch of everything is bound to have some lemons. It's like you're new to this shit. Calm down.
Nintendo doesn't need superfans defending their shitty quality control. Letting other users know what to watch out for isn't silly. It's called being helpful.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
What's consistent across all Lites I've used is that when in use or charging, it's always noticeably warm.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Yeah, I'll probs go back to gamestop tomo and see if I can exchange it. And man, I guess I kinda have big hands because the OG switch was great- this one is making my hands cramp. I'm sure I'll adjust though.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to head to Target for an exchange. Have all the packaging + receipt. Should I anticipate any trouble? Gamestop was like pulling teeth to return my revised Switch.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really nice. could you tell us how's your dpad and speaker working? Thanks!

Speakers seem louder then my regualar switch, had to turn it down when usually had it maxed on the other system. No complaints on sound quality, they sound great.

As for the dpad, seems as good as the modded one I had on my regular switch, tried out sonic, metal slug and a few shooters. All played fine. Don't have any 2d Fighters or I would try one of them.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Going to head to Target for an exchange. Have all the packaging + receipt. Should I anticipate any trouble? Gamestop was like pulling teeth to return my revised Switch.
Target only requires you have everything that was included. They don't stop exchanges or refunds. I'd return it and order another for in store pickup. This week they're giving 10 dollar gift cards if you do that on orders over 100 dollars.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What's consistent across all Lites I've used is that when in use or charging, it's always noticeably warm.

It's cooler than the normal Switch - unless you're touching the vents.

There's good news on the thermal side too. A smaller device running the same processor at the same clocks as a larger equivalent - the new HAC-001(-01) model - is more likely to retain heat. However, the Switch Lite pulls off a neat trick: while the vent is marginally hotter, the actual skin of the machine itself is actually cooler to the touch based on measurements from a thermal camera.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Target only requires you have everything that was included. They don't stop exchanges or refunds. I'd return it and order another for in store pickup. This week they're giving 10 dollar gift cards if you do that on orders over 100 dollars.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll report back if the new console is different than the one I'm taking back.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Speakers seem louder then my regualar switch, had to turn it down when usually had it maxed on the other system. No complaints on sound quality, they sound great.

As for the dpad, seems as good as the modded one I had on my regular switch, tried out sonic, metal slug and a few shooters. All played fine. Don't have any 2d Fighters or I would try one of them.

Thanks, mine should arrive tomorrow, hopefully it works as expected too.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Let's please not derail another Lite thread with the idiotic "concern trolls" garbage.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter plays terrible on the D-pad. If I try to to do fast quarter circle or Z motions it won't work half the time. I didn't have too many problems with other fighting games like Blazblue and FighterZ. Maybe anime fighters being forgiving on inputs has to do with it. With that being said, the 8bitdo SNES Pro D-pad is still vastly superior.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tested the dpad and found that it has that issue where you can register an up or down while pushing left or right. You can confirm the test yourself by going to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Test Input Devices > Test Controller Buttons, then hold down either left or right on the dpad and wiggle it to try to trigger an up or down input.

So that's kind of lame. But I also played a little bit of training mode in USF2 just to see how it'd go, and I actually didn't have too many issues performing specials. I could consistently pull off all of Ryu's and Balrog's specials, which covers shoto and charge characters. I'm not good with grapplers, so I didn't bother testing that. I never played any matches, so I'm not sure how well it'd go in the heat of a battle, but I was still satisfied enough with the dpad's execution.

But anyway, I still like the Lite a lot better than the regular Switch. I actually like it better than the 3DS, too. All I need is Animal Crossing and I think I'll be able to retire my 3DS.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the people that thought my Switch Lite was a lot quieter than my normal Switch. I finally compared them side by side and they're a lot closer in volume than I thought. The Lite actually sounds a little bit better (less tinny), but it does seem to be ever so slightly quieter. But yeah, anyone that says it's much quieter like I thought mine was, I encourage you to play a video from the eShop on both to compare.

It IS quiet, though. I just thought it was a lot quieter than the OG Switch, but it's not.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was one of the people that thought my Switch Lite was a lot quieter than my normal Switch. I finally compared them side by side and they're a lot closer in volume than I thought. The Lite actually sounds a little bit better (less tinny), but it does seem to be ever so slightly quieter. But yeah, anyone that says it's much quieter like I thought mine was, I encourage you to play a video from the eShop on both to compare.

It IS quiet, though. I just thought it was a lot quieter than the OG Switch, but it's not.
Just exchanged mine, it's noticeably louder than the one I just replaced. About the same as my OG Switch now. Unfortunately, it has two dead pixels. Fuck my shitty luck. Think I'll just refund and wait for Switch Pro. The quality control is just piss poor.

Screen looks a bit brighter and the d pad is a bit more "clicky" versus the really smushy one I just had. This unit would be perfect if not for the dead pixels.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I just did the button text in settings and received no erroneous inputs. I'm very happy with the Dpad on my gray unit. Only issue is hand cramps due to how small it is and how big my hands are, but I'll solve that with the Satisfye grip next month. If I had any gripe it would be that my screen temp is cool, but the colors are popping so no biggie. This might be the goat handheld.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just did the button text in settings and received no erroneous inputs. I'm very happy with the Dpad on my gray unit. Only issue is hand cramps due to how small it is and how big my hands are, but I'll solve that with the Satisfye grip next month. If I had any gripe it would be that my screen temp is cool, but the colors are popping so no biggie. This might be the goat handheld.
Tested all mine and the seem to work really well, too. Thank goodness.

I'm sure it's not great for something like Street Fighter, but I literally never play fighting games, so.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Tested all mine and the seem to work really well, too. Thank goodness.

I'm sure it's not great for something like Street Fighter, but I literally never play fighting games, so.
Mine is basically a Lumines, Tetris 99 and Picross machine, so I just wanted to make sure the Dpad wasn't a repeat of the Pro controller. I'm very happy. Hopefully Panel De Pon makes it's way to the Switch in some form and then it will be the perfect handheld.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Do all of the Lite colors feel sorta rough on the back? My gray model feels a lot rougher than my OG Switch.

It sorta feels like a rough paint job or something. It could be for better grip, but I'm wondering if the other colors don't feel like this.

(I have some neuropathy so fine textures feel weird to me.)

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is basically a Lumines, Tetris 99 and Picross machine, so I just wanted to make sure the Dpad wasn't a repeat of the Pro controller. I'm very happy. Hopefully Panel De Pon makes it's way to the Switch in some form and then it will be the perfect handheld.

I just wanted it to be okay for platformers, which is my favorite genre, and it appears it should be okay.

Do all of the Lite colors feel sorta rough on the back? My gray model feels a lot rougher than my OG Switch.

It sorta feels like a rough paint job or something. It could be for better grip, but I'm wondering if the other colors don't feel like this.

(I have some nephropathy so fine textures feel weird to me.)

Yes, they all have the same texture. Most people (myself included) really like it, but I understand how it could feel strange with your condition.

It has the same texture as the kickstand on the Switch. If you look at the kickstand on your OG Switch, you may see that it's worn down way less than the main back of the Switch, so that's likely why they chose that paint finish; it wears down much slower.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that it seems like some are getting poor dpads, all 'new' hardware has issues of some kind (it's hard to know exactly how widespread this issue is) but all I can suggest is returning and trying to make sure the next one is ok by asking to quickly try it out.
Are the D-Pads not all the same?

I assume anyone saying their's is better than what others are reporting aren't playing games where diagnals need to be incredibly sure and precise, like fighting games and bullet hell SHMUPS.

ESPECIALLY concerning older games before developers began tuning 2D games to be played with analog sticks and more lenient input detections.

I wanted a Lite partially for the built in D-Pad bit it's honestly a downgrade since the unit can't use the Hori JoyCon.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018

I assume anyone saying their's is better than what others are reporting are aren't playing games where diagnals need to be incredible sure and precise, like fighting games and SHMUPS.

ESPECIALLY concerning older games before developers began tuning 2D games to be played with analog sticks and more lenient input detections.
I played the same game on two Lites and noticed very different behavior. There's definitely something odd going on with some dpads. Most reviewers loved it, so the assumption is that there's far more good than bad.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the same game on two Lites and noticed very different behavior. There's definitely something odd going on with some dpads. Most reviewers loved it, so the assumption is that there's far more good than bad.
Really interested to see this confirmed in a technical analysis. The thing is, I don't put a lot of stock in those hardware reviews because I have no idea what those people tested the games on and if any they tested would really put the D-Pad diagnals through their paces or if the reviewer is sensitive enough to notice dropped or incorrect inputs.

Like, lots of people say they have no issues with the OG Joycon "D-Pad" but those people are obvious not playing oldschool 2D arcade games.

I will definitely hold out and see if this issue improves. Maybe the Pokemon unit will be more consistently solid.

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm gonna return mine. I love it (it's quiet but I haven't really been able to compare it like the above posts says to) but I don't know if I can get over the no dock, and I already own the revision with the better battery life. If I didn't already have a Switch, I would choose the Lite in a heartbeat (it's better IMO in every way besides docking) but I would be spending $300 for a $200 product after losing $100 after trade in.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but for those who care about color popularity, our remaining stock in our front-of-store display at Target as of this afternoon (do not know starting counts to compare against):

Gray: 5
Turquoise: 1
Yellow: 0

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but for those who care about color popularity, our remaining stock in our front-of-store display at Target as of this afternoon (do not know starting counts to compare against):

Gray: 5
Turquoise: 1
Yellow: 0

People have poor taste.

Honestly I think they launched 3 colors that aren't great and they will get some people to double-dip for the inevitable Zelda / Mario / Animal Crossing Switch Lite.. or even more fun colors.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
At least on the nihongogamer video, the problem seemed to be that the dpad is too pressed in, so when trying to hit diagonals his thumb was hitting the plastic in the diagonal and not registering. He could get diagonals but he had to press it really hard, harder than is probably comfortable when playing normally.

That also makes I think two posters here who said the down diagonals are worse than the up diagonals, but I'm not sure what would cause that?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
At least on the nihongogamer video, the problem seemed to be that the dpad is too pressed in, so when trying to hit diagonals his thumb was hitting the plastic in the diagonal and not registering. He could get diagonals but he had to press it really hard, harder than is probably comfortable when playing normally.

That also makes I think two posters here who said the down diagonals are worse than the up diagonals, but I'm not sure what would cause that?
I just tried LttP for SNES on it, since I haven't tested diagonals yet, and diagonals worked on it 100% of the time. Didn't have to press down hard or anything.

Oct 27, 2017

I assume anyone saying their's is better than what others are reporting aren't playing games where diagnals need to be incredibly sure and precise, like fighting games and bullet hell SHMUPS.

I wanted a Lite partially for the built in D-Pad bit it's honestly a downgrade since the unit can't use the Hori JoyCon.

I specifically tested old, 2D games as a first order of business upon using my Switch Lite for the first time: Street Fighter 3, Ikaruga, Danmaku Unlimited 3, Super Castlevania IV (diagonal whipping), and Blazing Chrome all worked flawlessly. I had minor issues trying to crouch and move in Contra 3, and in trying to slide while ducking in Super Mario Bros. 3.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Traded my old Switch in for a yellow Lite and couldn't be happier. Just a Switch and a power cord, no clutter to go along with it.
System feels much sturdier not having any detachable parts. Screen looks great and the downsize isn't a problem.
D-pad works just fine with Tetris and NSMBU, happy with it.
Much more comfortable to hold for longer periods being lighter.

This is basically what I wanted from a Switch in the first place. Super jazzed with it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I specifically tested old, 2D games as a first order of business upon using my Switch Lite for the first time: Street Fighter 3, Ikaruga, Danmaku Unlimited 3, Super Castlevania IV (diagonal whipping), and Blazing Chrome all worked flawlessly. I had minor issues trying to crouch and move in Contra 3, and in trying to slide while ducking in Super Mario Bros. 3.
Man. I really don't want to play the lottery on consoles.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
So the Hori D-pad is just straight up better than the Lite one?
This doesn't sound good at all.
I wouldn't say so. I have a Hori d-pad joycon and it's really mushy, it feels cheap. Lite is currently my favourite d-pad option on the Switch, although I prefer the feel of the Pro Controller overall but it has those notorious input issues.

Though I can't speak for its application in fighting games as I don't play fighting games on pad nor own any on Switch, but in games like Link to the Past or shmups with full 360 movement I don't have any problem controlling or moving diagonally.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time I get a Nintendo console that's getting support where I live, in a LONG time.

I'm in love with this damn thing. It looks gorgeous, the games it gets are gorgeous, the whole thing is amazing.

But...

I think I got one of the consoles with the shitty d-pads, I tried ALttP and I can definitely relate to how diagonals are really hard to press. I got the console from EB Canada, they won't cause issues with exchanging the console, right? I hope they'll let me just kind of open the box there and check it on the spot for the return.

The damn thing is a dream come true besides the outright defective d-pad. Honestly I'm glad that it is at least not an inherent issue.

Is there any way to measure or quantify the malfunction of the d-pad?

I'm anxious about returning it, I hope it goes well.

This is a stupid ass question but is there any vid out there of how the d-pad is *supposed to* work like?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
How do you use the d-pad in Links Awakening? I can't see an option in the settings and only the stick works for movement for me.
Yeah, dpad doesn't work on Link's Awakening, unfortunately. No idea why. But the poster you replied to mentioned Link to the Past (for SNES via Nintendo Switch Online), not Link's Awakening.