• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deku

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, call it a Lite Switch.

I think the mock up looks fine. The d pad looks a little shallow but playable. I hope the case it comes with can be used on both sides. Have a grip for easier play and have it cover the front for ease of travel.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I skipped the whole thread, but if it does look like this, no TV out then?

Cause I'd like to have the option to switch bw tv and just the system, and would probably just buy a regular Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I skipped the whole thread, but if it does look like this, no TV out then?

Cause I'd like to have the option to switch bw tv and just the system, and would probably just buy a regular Switch.

It has a USB C port in the bottom so there's no reason it can't be dockable. We don't know if the dimensions allow it to fit into the original dock or if they have to offer a new dock but either way there's no reason for it not to be dockable.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I know cloud saves work for some games, but it's not automatic is it? I think you need to re-download/upload your save file each time?
Most games have cloud saves. After the very first upload for a game, cloud saves are automatic (if you wish them to be of course). So when you switch to a different switch that has the same account, you just need to download, a matter usually of a few seconds.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For those complaining that Nintendo won't do this because it wouldn't be portable enough... I give you the counter argument... The original 2DS (on the left, the right is the new 2DS XL for comparison)

maxresdefault.jpg

That never fit into any pocket ever. Nintendo is not above making a system that's not portable in the name of making it rugged, kid safe, and cheap. It's just an avenue to sell branded accessories and carrying cases anyways.

Apr 21, 2018
Most games have cloud saves. After the very first upload for a game, cloud saves are automatic (if you wish them to be of course). So when you switch to a different switch that has the same account, you just need to download, a matter usually of a few seconds.

Oh, that's great! I didn't realize it was so simple. I'll have no problem grabbing a Switch Mini now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those complaining that Nintendo won't do this because it wouldn't be portable enough... I give you the counter argument... The original 2DS (on the left, the right is the new 2DS XL for comparison)

maxresdefault.jpg

That never fit into any pocket ever. Nintendo is not above making a system that's not portable in the name of making it rugged, kid safe, and cheap. It's just an avenue to sell branded accessories and carrying cases anyways.
well no one makes "proper" portables anymore. phones have gotten bigger and babies use tablets (which are better for their lack of dexterity anyway). anyone who's hoping for a pocketable system has been left in the cold years ago

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg

I have the new 3ds xl and the new 3ds and both fit in my pockets the only one that doesnt fit is the 2ds

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

maxresdefault.jpg

nintendo-switch-pocket_8hzs.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It'd be sweet if I could have a connectivity between the Switch Mini and OG Switch where I can just turn on the Mini and everything from my other Switch is there ready to play. I'd be able to keep the Switch in it's dock and the Mini near my bed.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be sweet if I could have a connectivity between the Switch Mini and OG Switch where I can just turn on the Mini and everything from my other Switch is there ready to play. I'd be able to keep the Switch in it's dock and the Mini near my bed.

Yes, I don't understand why they don't allow this to happen. Just do what Sony did with PSP/Vita. Right now your other 3DS (and Switch) just become expensive bricks, unless you are cool with using a new account.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I don't understand why they don't allow this to happen. Just do what Sony did with PSP/Vita. Right now your other 3DS (and Switch) just become expensive bricks, unless you are cool with using a new account.
Switch has account sharing

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I don't get it... is this verified as fake or not?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sweet! So I guess the only problem so far are the save files that don't work with the cloud.
Those can also be transferred as long as you have access to both systems. You can transfer any save (no NSO subscription required) regardless of whether you can back up said save.

Edit: didn't read your original post. This wouldn't be a great solution for that.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Have not tested it but as I wrote, since update 8.0 there is a game specific save transfer function that I think works for all games, it does not depend on cloud saves
I thought the same thing, but if you read all the way back to his original post that's not quite what he wants. He'd like to have two Switches and be able to pick up either and access his save data; having to pick up both to transfer data back and forth would destroy the point.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the same thing, but if you read all the way back to his original post that's not quite what he wants. He'd like to have two Switches and be able to pick up either and access his save data; having to pick up both to transfer data back and forth would destroy the point.
I have never used the single save transfer function. Do you need to open up both to transfer a single save one way? If not, then (just for the few games without cloud saves) I would do the extra step of a transfer when I am done playing (unless it deletes the save on my Switch?)

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah it's a tall order so I understand why it wouldn't happen. As long as I can at least access my DLC and save files then I'm totally fine with using cloud saves!

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
man everything switch is getting discounted here in aus

i feel like a new model is just around the corner

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Screen-to-body ratio on that thing is significantly better than the existing Switch. If the Switch Pro doesn't end up happening, I might grab one of these exclusively for portable gaming, and just leave my Switch permanently docked.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a rumored delay on these new models? Anybody think the Animal Crossing delay was related to this? If you can only have one town per system, it'd be really annoying to sell Animal Crossing and then come out with a new mode a few months later that would require some extra effort (if possible) to transfer your town to the new system.

Nov 8, 2017
Wasn't there a rumored delay on these new models? Anybody think the Animal Crossing delay was related to this? If you can only have one town per system, it'd be really annoying to sell Animal Crossing and then come out with a new mode a few months later that would require some extra effort (if possible) to transfer your town to the new system.

I may have this slightly wrong, but my understanding was that there was a mistranslation/misinterpretation where in Japanese someone basically said "There is no Switch successor coming anytime soon" then due to translational issues that was taken to mean "there is no pro model coming anytime soon".

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I have never used the single save transfer function. Do you need to open up both to transfer a single save one way? If not, then (just for the few games without cloud saves) I would do the extra step of a transfer when I am done playing (unless it deletes the save on my Switch?)
Yeah, it works like the complete system transfer, just for a single game. Need both open and it deletes the save from the source Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't play all games and it isn't about getting accesories, specially when they're targeting a price sensitive audience that will most likely not buy those accessories. Just imagine these parents getting this new Switch model made for kids and families alongside a copy of Mario Party.

Yes, let's imagine that:

Unsuspecting parent has been asked by their kid to get a Switch since 2017 but they cannot stomach buying a $300 console outright. Then when they are out Christmas shopping in December they see this "Switch Mini $199" on the shelf and they scoop it up along with Mario Party (because they know their kids love Mario and love parties) as a Christmas gift.

Come Christmas morning said kid opens the gift and this Mario Party game tells the kid that they "need to connect Joycons" to work. Said parent looks on Amazon to see that Joycons are $70 and that this new Switch has a worse version of "batteries not included" that THEIR parents had to deal when they they were kids. Said parent gets on Facebook to rant about how unfair it is (because they can't take the Switch back to the store without ruining Christmas) while the kid of said parents just goes and downloads the free Fortnite game they REALLY wanted a Switch for an proceeds to play it with their friends. A pair of Joycons gets bought later for the birthday of the kid so the Mario Party purchase isn't a waste.

I mean, Nintendo has been playing this game for years. N64 games that needed the RAM pack but didn't include it? A New 3DS without even a charger? A Switch without detached Joycons fits perfectly.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, let's imagine that:

Unsuspecting parent has been asked by their kid to get a Switch since 2017 but they cannot stomach buying a $300 console outright. Then when they are out Christmas shopping in December they see this "Switch Mini $199" on the shelf and they scoop it up along with Mario Party (because they know their kids love Mario and love parties) as a Christmas gift.

Come Christmas morning said kid opens the gift and this Mario Party game tells the kid that they "need to connect Joycons" to work. Said parent looks on Amazon to see that Joycons are $70 and that this new Switch has a worse version of "batteries not included" that THEIR parents had to deal when they they were kids. Said parent gets on Facebook to rant about how unfair it is (because they can't take the Switch back to the store without ruining Christmas) while the kid of said parents just goes and downloads the free Fortnite game they REALLY wanted a Switch for an proceeds to play it with their friends. A pair of Joycons gets bought later for the birthday of the kid so the Mario Party purchase isn't a waste.

I mean, Nintendo has been playing this game for years. N64 games that needed the RAM pack but didn't include it? A New 3DS without even a charger? A Switch without detached Joycons fits perfectly.
You forgot about a charger for the Joy-Cons and we're talking about a price sensitive audience. As you said, the 3DS had no AC adapter but the 2DS did.