• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing i worry about is the mini becoming the standard and nintendo all but ignoring the dock feature. Treating it more like a gimmick like 3d became to the 3ds. I treat my switch more as a traditional console, i rarely play hand held

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note, this is how just about every phone is leaked. A manufacturer leaks design specifications along with their prototype images. It doesn't matter if they aren't using an actual product as an image. The point is, these manufacturers are making product for this system, and the mock up shown is at least close enough for a placeholder.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Life is talking about this image:

switchmini.900x.jpg
That looks terrible.

Look at those sticks! That dpad! Awful.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
those designs are fake, but most likely means that it is getting announced fairly soon.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
We talked about this the other day, it's probably nor a leak just a mockup

They have 2 different versions of it on their site

Oct 2, 2018
so its legit a full handheld.

which is sorta worse than having a switch because... with the switch you get a home console.

but then it depends on its price and I guess its road-worthy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
LOL. That looks like a smaller Switch.

Man, that's a small screen.
I feel like the Switch screen is already too small for games like Bayonetta 2 etc. But then I'm used to gaming on a big screen.

That said, there's a lot of wasted potential screen space on Switch with the huge bezel. So we could have a much smaller Switch with the same sized screen, potentially. The image in the OP does look nice though, but hell I wouldn't want to try and play Celeste on that thing with those tiny buttons and my big hands.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I posted about this in another thread, but I contacted a different case manufacturer and this is what they replied with. It's two different emails:

I followed up asking if they had any images that show the mini in a case. I haven't received a response back yet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My bet is that they got the specs necessary to make the case but not an official render or complete specs. That render looks like hot garbage and I can't see Nintendo going with an awful flat dpad like that.

Or it could be fake like many of the other switch mini leaks thus far

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or Labo ( without out purchasing separate joycons of course).

Just not seeing the concern here. One is a launch game, one is a cardboard addon product. If you absolutely have to play those and you also have to have a Mini, you can probably just buy two additional joycons to play those specific games.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I legit don't understand the need for a smaller Switch. If the current one is too big, what is the optimal size? It's not going to be "smartphone-small", so why would Nintendo do it and introduce compatibility issues with games that use joycons in the process?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I legit don't understand the need for a smaller Switch. If the current one is too big, what is the optimal size? It's not going to be "smartphone-small", so why would Nintendo do it and introduce compatibility issues with games that use joycons in the process?

I would love a smaller Switch and these compatibility issues are minimal at best.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The current Switch doesn't even have a Dpad. The Analog sticks are still analog sticks and not circle pads, should be fine considering their size.
The Switch's dpad buttons that it has at the moment is a thousand times better than that horrible thing- at least you'd be able to press them properly!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Just not seeing the concern here. One is a launch game, one is a cardboard addon product. If you absolutely have to play those and you also have to have a Mini, you can probably just buy two additional joycons to play those specific games.

Thats exactly how the mini will be handled

Any Joycon required game.... buy the joy cons

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need a smaller Switch to replace the 3DS as an entry level product in their line

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They aren't big issues compared to the size of the kids market and so on. Dimensions don't need to be as small as a smartphone to be better for kids. Not to mention make it simpler and cheaper to produce, which is also mainly aimed at kids.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Nintendo Life is talking about this image:

switchmini.900x.jpg
We haven't seen this specific mock up before, but I hope it's fake. Why is the d pad so shallow? The sticks look terrible as well. The joy con look ridiculously wide too. What a disappointment this would be. It doesn't even look very "mini"

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not really a concern. Just the essence of the Switch is Anywhere, Anyone, Anytime. I expect a of asterixis (*does not support Switch Lite).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it's real. But it looks exactly like what I expect the switch mini to look like.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the Switch Mini worked like iOS and I could just redownload my digital games so I can play them with my wife, I'd totally get a Switch Mini. But Nintendo doesn't work like that, last time I checked.

As for the price, if it's anything above $200, someone messed up.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Right, that's the new one. That didn't exist on a google reverse image search before yesterday.

However this is almost certainly a fan mockup since the screen overlay is absolutely horrendous. I suppose it's always possible that it's a real image of a new Switch but they edited the screen overlay for whatever reason and did a terrible job on it.

I find it a little hard to believe that a real official image of a new Switch would have a bit of concept art on the screen; I'd expect to see a recognisable game screenshot, a logo, or just a blank screen.

In fact, looking at older official images of the Switch, when they're showing off the hardware more than what's running on it in that 'white box' location, in a couple of places they use an image that's just a pattern to offset the look of the thing:

wVn94zw.png

rt4Gky1.png

That's the sort of thing I expect to be seeing on the official images of new hardware when they appear.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to do a google image reverse search on some of the images without the mock-up. This one has previously been sold as a standard Switch case, you can tell from the interior being identical. Surely if it is going to be smaller it'd be a smaller size?

that's the only discrepancy I've noticed, though.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the Switch Mini worked like iOS and I could just redownload my digital games so I can play them with my wife, I'd totally get a Switch Mini. But Nintendo doesn't work like that, last time I checked.

As for the price, if it's anything above $200, someone messed up.
You checked too long ago. It works like that.