• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Switch Mini worked like iOS and I could just redownload my digital games so I can play them with my wife, I'd totally get a Switch Mini. But Nintendo doesn't work like that, last time I checked.

As for the price, if it's anything above $200, someone messed up.
Switch does work like that; the exact digital sharing model is the same as PSN, in fact.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I legit don't understand the need for a smaller Switch. If the current one is too big, what is the optimal size? It's not going to be "smartphone-small", so why would Nintendo do it and introduce compatibility issues with games that use joycons in the process?

The need is a cheaper Switch. A smaller Switch sold without the dock and potentially without joycons is probably the optimal way to achieve that cheaper Switch.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Families and kids, those that'll mostly buy the Mini, are also those more likely to get games like Mario Party or Just Dance.

Then they have to pay up to buy the extras

the point of the mini is a cheap entry point

All Nintendo has to do is be upfront about it or patch controller support into those games somehow

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This could be similar to how accessories for iPhone are made prior to new iPhone announcement. These designers haven't actually seen the Switch Mini, just building their accessories based off of specs they received.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's excellent. I don't remember it being like that for older eShop systems. I might indeed have to get a Switch Mini then.

It's been like that for most of the Switch's lifetime. Not with their previous systems regretably, but they have done a pretty good job with digital ownership on Switch.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Then they have to pay up to buy the extras

the point of the mini is a cheap entry point

All Nintendo has to do is be upfront about it or patch controller support into those games somehow
But they won't cause they don't want to spend a lot. And what's more cheaper than selling a system with two controllers included? I don't think we'll see exclusive games again.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Families and kids, those that'll mostly buy the Mini, are also those more likely to get games like Mario Party or Just Dance.

Switch Mini is going to target the Pokemon crowd and 3DS-only owners. Not people looking to pull out a tiny handheld, pulling off tiny joy cons and playing Just Dance. Come on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been like that for most of the Switch's lifetime. Not with their previous systems regretably, but they have done a pretty good job with digital ownership on Switch.
Not its entire lifetime, the current sharing model was introduced last year alongside the NSO update; earlier you could only be logged in to one system at a time (but still log out and in at will).

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If they release this and a "pro" model I can totally see myself buying both and using my launch switch for homebrew.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Has there ever been an accurate leak of Nintendo hardware? I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not its entire lifetime, the current sharing model was introduced last year alongside the NSO update; earlier you could only be logged in to one system at a time (but still log out and in at will).

He was talking about redownloading digital games on a second console, not game sharing. At least that's what I assumed.

That has been possible since the Switch launched IIRC.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I mean, the Pro Controller has a d-pad.
Yeah, that's the pro controller, not the controller attached to the console. I'd be willing to bet that the Switch mini will keep the exact control scheme as the existing Switch with joycons attached.

And calling that thing on the Pro Controller a d-pad is being generous. that shit is awful.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, that's the pro controller, not the controller attached to the console. I'd be willing to bet that the Switch mini will keep the exact control scheme as the existing Switch with joycons attached
The main reason for the separate buttons is for split Joy-Con play. That reason would be completely nullified if you can't detach the controls from the Switch Mini.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Importing saves from system to system was added later though no?

Yeah but redownloading previously purchased digital games onto another system has been doable since launch. AKA transferring your Nintendo account from system to system.

EDIT: This was also possible on the Wii, 3DS and Wii U, though it required a phone call to Nintendo. It never required that for the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Life is talking about this image:

switchmini.900x.jpg

That looks like it could be legit, but man those sticks and that d-pad look like ass.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
But they won't cause they don't want to spend a lot. And what's more cheaper than selling a system with two controllers included? I don't think we'll see exclusive games again.

All one piece is cheaper than the current model of 2 controllers + Switch itself.

A Mini is coming....Nintendo needs a low-priced entry.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's no way that picture is the real. there's no reason for nintendo to not use the same DPad they've been using since forever in this.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
i wonder if they will still sell some form of dock or tv cable separately.

I think so, because otherwise some games like Super Mario Party would not be available. But the Mini format will be perfect even without it, because it will be mainly targeted to the 3DS audience (e.g. Pokémon and Animal Crossing fans)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If the Switch mini releases with a D-pad then I really hope Nintendo releases a left Joycon that also includes a D-pad (a good one). I don't plan to ever get the Switch mini, but seeing this mock-up (fanmade?) have one just makes me a bit more annoyed that we have no official d-Pad Joycon yet from Nintendo, not licensed ones.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there's no way that picture is the real. there's no reason for nintendo to not use the same DPad they've been using since forever in this.

Neither of those pictures are real. Nintendo isn't going to send these companies photos of their console. If anything, they have the overall shape and size and just mocking up what it could look like.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so, because otherwise some games like Super Mario Party would not be available. But the Mini format will be perfect even without it, because it will be mainly targeted to the 3DS audience (e.g. Pokémon and Animal Crossing fans)
exactly. if they want to have full compatibility with all switch games out there, they have to offer a solution to play on the TV, and the hardware and system already supports it. they just have to sell the dock/controllers separately to cut cost.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The announcement shouldn't be far off if this is based on legitimate info. Maybe July or August.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Switch mini ain't having no d-pad. You can quote me on that. It's gonna be the same 4 buttons.

It would likely have a D-Pad IMO if the controllers can't disconnect. The purpose of the 4 buttons on the original switch is so that each of the joycons could be used as an individual controller when disconnected from the unit.

If there is no disconnection like in the mock-up then I would predict a D-Pad, as the Pro Controller has and which Nintendo has traditionally done. If the next iteration still uses detachable joycons I would predict the buttons.....although at some point I think Nintendo will release a joycon that has a d-Pad - almost certainly if a switch mini had one.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Probably because the Mini is still dockable.
With something that small, you could dock it upside down with no real drawback. And I mean if the point of the thing is to make it cheaper, they should just be using a cable anyway.

If you dock it upside down you're blocking the air intake vent. That's a no-no.
If the game card is at the top docking it upside down would make no sense. I don't understand the issue with the USB being on the bottom anyway. It's on the bottom of my phone too.
In this hypothetical I would assume they could move various things around. Is there any reason the air intake couldn't be on the bottom, while the charging port was on top? Which would allow the cartridge slot to still be on the top as well. And again, they should probably be using a cable anyway rather than a physical dock, which would solve all of these issues.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With something that small, you could dock it upside down with no real downside. And I mean if the point of the thing is to make it cheaper, they should just be using a cable anyway.

If the game card is at the top docking it upside down would make no sense. I don't understand the issue with the USB being on the bottom anyway. It's on the bottom of my phone too.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yeah, that's the pro controller, not the controller attached to the console. I'd be willing to bet that the Switch mini will keep the exact control scheme as the existing Switch with joycons attached.

And calling that thing on the Pro Controller a d-pad is being generous. that shit is awful.
The only purpose of button is for joy con detached. So bet, you will lose because it makes no sense.