• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
switchmini.900x.jpg

Accessory makers leaking hardware ahead of announcements is a fixture in the tech world (just ask Apple and iPhone), and now it seems like it is happening for the Switch as well. This comes courtesy of honsoncn.com, and the render is entirely original, so either someone had a lot of time on their hands for fan fiction, or this is real.

Nintendo Life

UPDATE: Changed image (the original image in the OP was incorrect, and not the current one, which is the one that is believed to be the mockup)

Last edited:

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember seeing a thread for this yesterday and folks were saying it was a fan mock-up.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
So if that's real...

No detachable JoyCon
D-Pad
Smaller Screen

... we should know soon, either way

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While it may be a fan-made mockup, I think the point is we can get a general idea of the size and this could be confirmation that a Switch mini does exist.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's a fan mock up that I believe was done by one of our members either here or back on GAF

this is just confirmation that the Mini exists, which we already knew

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Nah, saw some other leaks that were far more convincing earlier today. The "controller" parts are super wide compared to the size of the buttons, look at the right stick glued to the B button. I don't know... it's too ugly.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember where I read it but I think accessory manufacturers get information like dimensions or screen size in advance. While the Switch in OP is a mockup, the dimensions could be accurate.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, we discussed this at length yesterday. Most of those pictures use a very old fan mockup, but one of those pictures uses a brand new mockup that has never been seen before.

Either way, these are not official pictures of the Switch mini.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
These are bulk orders made to order, based on mock-ups, to garner merchant interest/gain market share in the event such a device turns out to be true. Final design TBD etc. etc.

If no device turns up, no sales will full-fill.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
fan knock up or not, if they already have SKUS then they know what the form factor is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Life is talking about this image:

switchmini.900x.jpg

Right, that's the new one. That didn't exist on a google reverse image search before yesterday.

However this is almost certainly a fan mockup since the screen overlay is absolutely horrendous. I suppose it's always possible that it's a real image of a new Switch but they edited the screen overlay for whatever reason and did a terrible job on it.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That feeling when my mock-up made years ago is making the rounds in China.

fwebA62.jpg

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
It makes no sense for that right analog to be like that ergonomically. Contorting your thumb or holding it different on one hand vs the other doesn't work. If the actual product is similar I'll be shocked if the analogs aren't aligned. Like vita or that 3ds with tiny analog.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Right, that's the new one. That didn't exist on a google reverse image search before yesterday.

However this is almost certainly a fan mockup since the screen overlay is absolutely horrendous. I suppose it's always possible that it's a real image of a new Switch but they edited the screen overlay for whatever reason and did a terrible job on it.
Sadly this is pretty common, I see it on real products all the time. The model itself is actually what I pictured in my head, either way the device's existence seems to be leaked by the accessories existing in the first place.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Life is talking about this image:

switchmini.900x.jpg
Extremely flat / flush d-pad and speakers on the bottom would kind of suck, which makes me feel like this one could have some legitimacy to it, lol.

I'd love to get one though, as long as games don't perform any worse on it than the current model. And if Nintendo implemented StreetPass 2.0 for it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
that mock-up looks like a lot of quick and easy CG mock-ups, I don't really buy that being real but at the same time why would they be manufacturing accessories for something that doesn't exist?

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
At this point, I'll believe the Switch Mini is real when it is officially announced. Though it would make sense to release a new version targeted at kids when Sword and Shield release.